I don't get the complaints about DbDs battle pass system

Options

Right, it reminds us of fortnite and CoD and all that ######### jazz they got going on. But, people are acting like DbD's gives you an advantage when your on the paid pass instead of free. I could actually see myself buying the paid pass in a few months if I am mostly through the rift.

Here's some things to consider when comparing this to other battle pass systems in games:

(Please let me know if I am mistaken)

1. You do not get faster rift tier progress with the paid pass.

2. All Halloween currency are only in the paid pass. You don't get extra in paid.

3. You get your money back if you 100% complete the rift tiers in in-game cosmetic currency.

4. Everything you get is cosmetic.

5. This is a way for the developers to increase income. (Good, depending on if you hate their guts or not) It's honestly not intrusive on the game.

6. The rift is linked with a mission system, giving you more to do.

7. The rift introduced charms (Though many could take it or leave it)

Comments

• MyNamePete
    MyNamePete Member Posts: 1,053
    Options

It honestly should give you more xp towards rift fragments if you buy the paid because it takes way too long to tier up.

• HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298
    Options

The serums are in the Free track so you don't need to pay to get them

I am personally holding all judgment on this until someone completes Tome 2, when someone shares how far they've gotten after completing both tomes then we can judge if the system to complete the Rift is too high or not.

The goal from what I can see is that you complete the Archives and get a boost through the Rift, then until the next Tome comes out you grind away normally. It's done this way so you don't get everything in the Rift too early.

I like The Rift but I won't be buying the next one unless it has things in there I like, most of the stuff in it right now is useless to me. This isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, it isn't oppressive, it rewards you with extra customization, and it spices things up in the game and shows you how often other players are playing. When I see the Auric Eye I know that player completed the first Tome, they play a lot and it gives players some extra spice in the matches with decorated hooks.

The Survivor charms though, I can barely notice them, some Survivor clothing covers them up and you can't see the charms other Survivors are wearing, it is purely for your own customization, kind of like the complete opposite of Killer cosmetics.

• Go_Go_Roboto
    Go_Go_Roboto Member Posts: 330
    Options

Lootbox systems are made to purposefully take advantage of children and people with gambling issues. Comparing what DbDs doing so far isn't 1:1 at all.

• Go_Go_Roboto
    Options

Personally, I don't believe that the average person is supposed to complete it. I'm at tier 23(or so?) and play the game a lot... obviously. It's something to reward players who've earned it, not something everyone should get for being around at the right time. That's at least what I think of it. Yes it's a ######### grind tho...

• cetruzzo
    cetruzzo Member Posts: 323
    Options

The only problem for me is that they lied about being able to complete it by playing 1 hour a day

• ASurvkillivorer
    ASurvkillivorer Member Posts: 1,807
    Options

Because apparently you're obligated to do this.

The only thing that needs a change is the free track should get a reward everytime IDC if its just blood points. Its ridiculous that there are countless consecutive levels that result in no reward. ALSO remove time limit because it is anti consumer. Not the limit on the pass but the stupid wait to START the challenges. There is one reason they would do this and one reason only. To make finishing less likely. Not to mention it increases in game toxicity with people going out of their way to try and void what you want. Everyone is going for the same challenges at the same time....

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

Numbers 3, 5, and 6 are sadly irrelevant if you're trying to suggest that the Rift is somehow different to other systems and therefore shouldn't be compared, since those features are common to almost all battlepass systems.

• Zensunim
    Zensunim Member Posts: 156
    Options

The math says that with 100% completion of all archive challenges, it will still take 8 games to complete EVERY DAY (for the bonus XP). Depending on your queue times, that can be upwards to 2-3 hours a day every day. Average players don't got time for that. I don't know what's an "average player" to a DBD dev though.

• Go_Go_Roboto
    Options

Just a few questions:

Where is info on the time savers..? I looked for a few minutes, but couldn't find anything.

Is the ~175 hours the time it takes to complete the rift with or without doing challenges? Because if it's without accounting for that I'm afraid the time taken is going to be much lower. I have the feeling people are throwing that around and not thinking about it. I'm at tier 24 and I have put nowhere near the ~62.5 hours I'd be at.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,692
    Options

So far I've been pretty happy with the premium pass. Still like 56 days to go and I'm around rank 20. I already feel like I've gotten my money's worth really. I definitely feel more motivated to play with the pass.

• Salty_Pearl
    Salty_Pearl Member Posts: 1,367
    Options

I don't like the battlepass because I just thought that it wasn't necessary at all and doesn't fit in a survival horror game. There are also so many micro-transactions and more were not needed.

I also disliked it because they tied the event into the battlepass and got rid of the fun objectives.

• THEghostface
    THEghostface Member Posts: 296
    Options

The serum being in the rift is what frustrated me imo. Because of placing an event reward currency in the rift, which needed more touch-ups, the event was delayed. The event as a result with the pustula offerings was the equivalent of WGLF, but on hooks and gens.

• Cardgrey
    Cardgrey Member Posts: 1,454
    Options

I personally like it and I enjoy having a reason to log in vs just grinding for perks.

• justarandy
    justarandy Member Posts: 1,711
    Options

To your 4th point: I don't think everyone had the same head start of 11 tiers. Some had less, more or nothing. I had a headstart of around 30 tiers.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,832
    edited November 2019
    Options

Okay, this is how I did the math.

The devs said that the challenges will award 350 Rift Fragments, which is the same as 35 tiers on the Rift. There are 70 tiers on the Rift, so if you complete all the challenges, that leaves 35 tiers on the Rift to get via XP.

I timed myself earning tiers on the Rift with only XP. Even with the daily bonus, due to queue times it could take anywhere from 4 to 6 hours to earn one tier (10 Rift Fragments). So, I average that to 5 hours. 35 * 5 = 175. Now, you'll be completing the challenges and earning XP at the same time, so if you complete all the challenges within 175 hours, then that's how long it'll take to complete the Rift: 175 hours in 70 days. If you don't complete all the challenges, then it'll take even longer to complete the Rift.

• justarandy
    justarandy Member Posts: 1,711
    Options
  • PistolTimb
    PistolTimb Member Posts: 1,413
    Options

The New tome hasn't even been out for a full day and people are already on here complaining. You just can't please everybody... I'm sure bhvr knows this all too well.

• Revansith
    Revansith Member Posts: 367
    Options

I bought the battle pass as it let me get some of the items that I couldnt get if I didnt buy it. I looked at the cosmetic items and determined that 1000 auric cells seemed fair for what was being offered. I then noted I got 325 cells "given back" as I had completed some of the tiers. I used 300 to buy three tiers figuring I already "spent" the 1000 on the offered cosmetics.

I play with a friend who has no issue blasting her way thru the tomes and maybe a couple of the challenges might give her pause for thought, but since she plays killer as well as survivor the killer challenges are also something she can do.

I will admit due to my lack of progress I was influenced by the ability to buy tiers out for 100 cells. Not everyone is able to play killer unless they dedicate themselves to spending time in ques and learning the killer skills and perks.

On a minor note I would say about 10% of my games are actually fun (by my definition they last a longer time, and I feel I have played better) the other 90% are where I play like a potato and dont have much fun.

One useful tip I will share is something Hemingway once said about writing. "Stop when you are at your best, then dont think about it, the next day start again and carry on" He was saying there is a point to stop each day and its not after playing several matches which suck badly and make you feel like uninstalling....

• kisfenkin
    kisfenkin Member Posts: 613
    edited November 2019
    Options

Grind.

Post edited by kisfenkin on
  • HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298
    Options

That's a good point, I really hope they don't do this in the future as this was not an ''Event'' by any means whatsoever. We had Gens with pumpkins and hooks with stuff, all dictated by how many Offerings were put in but none of that had anything to do with getting the Halloween cosmetics, there was a huge disconnect between the Event and the Rift and this was the most boring Event ever. The Xmas event is more fun than that was and that's the same thing except with no prizes or offerings.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135
    Options

I never planned on buying on the pass, so I'm just getting free content because of The Rift. I've already gotten a $10 skin! For free! Can't really complain.

• DWolfAlpha
    DWolfAlpha Member Posts: 927
    Options

The only problem I have with the rift is putting the event currency on it, and then spreading them so thin that, without heavy grinding, there was no way to obtain all of them before the event ended.

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246
    Options

Welp I thought this was sarcasm but you honestly do not understand why people do not like the battle pass. I suggest you read couple of threads about it which explain why people do have problems with it. It literally has nothing to do with CoD or Fortnite.

• Zensunim
    Zensunim Member Posts: 156
    Options

The big issue in this case is that the grind gets harder and less rewarding the further you get into the tomes. Tome challenges increase in difficulty but not the reward. It takes you longer to progress through the tome, but your progression rate through the rift also slows down because the rewards aren't porportional to the effort.