How do you cope with having bad teamates?

Options

I am rank 9 at the moment and had 20 matches in a row with bad team mates where they don't touch gens, and won't unhook

What is the best way to cope with this besides swfs?

Comments

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275
    Options

Anecdotally: I sit in purple ranks most of the time, and on average, people there tend to be competent and effective in most of the important ways.

That said, we're also currently in that weird post-rank reset period where nothing makes sense. Also, I have a feeling that the challenges have encouraged a lot of people to ignore playing "for real" in favor of getting their quest objectives done.

• Lost_in_the_Fog
    Lost_in_the_Fog Member Posts: 452
    Options

Yes, people don't understand that "drop 15 pallets" and the like are meant to passively happen while you play normally.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
    Options

Pretty much this. I've noticed purple ranks seem to be the sweet spot. Your team is usually decent. And the killers seem to be fairly relaxed. Not camping or hard tunneling (mostly anyway).

As for how to deal with it. Well, unfortunately you just have to accept some games are going to be rough. Best you can do is try to eck out at least a safety and move to the next game.

• TheLastGreatStar
    TheLastGreatStar Member Posts: 1,002
    Options

This is why I don’t really play solo anymore. I just always seem to find teammates who might as well spawn in on the hook. SWF seems to be the only way for me to enjoy playing survivor these days. And when my friends aren’t online, I’ll just play killer. I can’t tell if the player base has gotten worse, or it’s just that I’ve gotten better and better as time has gone by, so I’m noticing me having to carry the team much more.

• Darth_Cader
    Darth_Cader Member Posts: 128
    Options

Usually I can tell if my teammates are going to be useless very early in the game. That being said, once I figure this out to be true I will proceed to get irritated (I’ll never be able to cope with that) and will begin playing only for pip points. This includes, but is not limited to, me farming my teammates to make sure I don’t de-pip, at the cost of them getting downed again.

Of course I’ll still do gens and loop the killer as well as cleanse totems (I cleanse all totems every game with Small Game anyway). But I will only loop after I get sufficient points in other categories.

If I happen to escape after all that, then that’s cool. But I only play for pips then and will go to any lengths to keep myself from de-pipping.

So not really a coping mechanism, more of a “now I’m forced into being a self centered /-\sshat” mechanism.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275
    Options

The thing about this -- the reality about these kinds of incentive-based challenges -- is that people will do whatever is most effective and most efficient in order to finish them, even if it's counterintuitive.

This has always been true, in all games, forever. I remember when new achievement-based weapons first got added to Team Fortress 2, and there was an overwhelming array of achievement-farming servers in order to get them done and unlock the new items. Behaviour forgot (or didn't care) to account for human nature when they added this stuff to the game.

• TheHourMan
    TheHourMan Member Posts: 1,052
    Options

I angrily groan and cuss, sometimes followed by me walking up to the killer and telling them to just hurry up and kill me so I can find a different match.

• savevatznick
    savevatznick Member Posts: 651
    Options

Pip without them.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,127
    Options

Farm them and hope for the hatch.

• Stagnance
    Stagnance Member Posts: 11
    Options

Beer

• Elk
    Elk Member Posts: 2,267
    Options

You get used to it...I usually cuss.

• PistolTimb
    PistolTimb Member Posts: 1,413
    Options

Do gens and stay alive.

• MegaGamer_01
    MegaGamer_01 Member Posts: 172
    Options

Stay on generators, get there attention, keep everyone alive or go find a squad to play with caz no one ever does anything anymore

• SaintDenisSlasher
    SaintDenisSlasher Member Posts: 227
    Options

Do gens, hide from the killer instead of trying to run them around

Bad teammates actually works out a lot of the time because the killer is focused on easy hooks

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,031
    Options

I always have a bad teammate on my side...called the entity. She always lets those pesky survivors get the 4% when the match SHOULD be over, lol.

• OldManGloom
    OldManGloom Member Posts: 51
    Options

I sigh deeply, from the bottom of my soul, and press onward. I remind myself that people are always new and learning and occasionally I am going to be there for their growing pains. I don't place a deep, totality of joy in the match. I remind myself that there's probably a fair number of times where I'm that crappy team mate. Bad plays made by bad/new players I can live with - I'm no expert.

I just can't stand post game crapsack survivors - the kind who blames the outcome on everything except themselves. In that case, I just don't engage. Engaging keeps me from moving on to the next (hopefully better) match.