The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

What if Adiris isn't The Plague?

AAAAA
AAAAA Member Posts: 558

So one thing that always bugged me about The Plague is that Adiris never killed anyone. Yes, The Entity heard her prayer, but Adiris still never killed anyone, so why's she a killer?

My theory is that The Plague (killer) is a combination of Adiris and the plague (disease). I think there is some sort of symbiotic relationship going on, with the plague providing a motivation and method for killing and Adiris providing emotional energy and a physical form. Without Adiris, the plague is just a plague, and without the plague Adiris is basically a survivor, but together they are The Plague.

Comments

• TheHourMan
    TheHourMan Member Posts: 1,052

From the title I thought this would be stupid, but I like it. Well thought out.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275
  • Bamallamadingdong
    Bamallamadingdong Member Posts: 34

So the plague itself is sentient? That could be cool, though I think it would make more sense if it was some kind of parasite as opposed to bacteria. There's more precedent there for a symbiotic relationship between the plague and its host, and being more biologically complex I find it easier to believe a parasite being chosen over a bunch of single cell organisms (demogorgon proves that killers don't have to be human at least).

Her backstory doesn't have her lose control or try to spread the plague though, which would hint at being infected with a parasite. The boils she's covered with could feasibly be some kind of egg things with baby parasites in them.

I quite like this idea.

• AAAAA

I think that it's not so much a parasite as it is that The Entity has inextricably linked the plague and Adiris, to get what it needs out of both. I suspect that they're probably dependent on each other; some Entity Brand Penicillin would probably be lethal to Adiris. I doubt Adiris is sentient anymore (or at least she can't resist the instincts of the plague) and the plague never was. So The Plague is probably just operating off of plague instincts to grow and spread while being guided by The Entity to hook and mori and whatnot.

And I agree that The Plague's character design supports this. You can say that she's kept alive in her dessicated state through Entity Brand Magic like The Spirit, but isn't it more interesting to think that the disease and the human support each other?

• EleaticStranger
    EleaticStranger Member Posts: 81

The plague is always barfing on me and it makes me start barfing and then everyone is barfing and it's basically a puke fest.

• MojoTheFabulous
    MojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,015

I barely remember the Plague's lore but she was super religious right? So the Entity probably just manipulated her into having absolute faith in the Entity like a God or something like that.

Her not killing doesn't mean much seeing as the Spirit had never killed anyone before getting taken.

• AAAAA

I think there could definitely be some aspect of The Entity masquerading as a god to Adiris, but that doesn't mean there can't also be symbiosis at play.

And as for The Spirit, I think it is implied (or at least possible to interpret) that she was allowed to kill her father before being taken. And even if she didn't, her rage still provided motivation to kill. I suppose my problem with Adiris is not that she didn't kill, but that she had no motivation to kill. So I think your points are valid, but don't disprove my idea.

• Thanatos_x
    Thanatos_x Member Posts: 201

We, are  ̶V̶e̶n̶o̶m̶ Plague

• Bamallamadingdong

Bacteria can't have instincts, they don't have brains. That's why I said it would probably be a parasite if this was the case.

• Bamallamadingdong

I believe in the actual canon Adiris believes the Entity will cure her if she does its bidding.

• AAAAA

That's true, I guess I meant that bacteria basically just grow, eat, and duplicate. But the plague could certainly be a parasite, it's not like the Babylonians understood the difference between a bacteria and a parasite. Maybe I'll try and diagnose Adiris...

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

In that kind of time period, they made sacrifices to the gods. I wouldn't be surprised if human sacrifice was an option, simply because of the mentality. She might not have ever performed human sacrifice, but she'd have to have the will to watch, right?

• End_of_Slayer
    End_of_Slayer Member Posts: 146

She did cut the toe off someone and offered it to a god to get them cured of the plague, so that could possibly be it. But I believe what someone above said is the Plague will do the Entity’s bidding if she believes it would cure her. Another thing about the lore is that everyone that followed her into the cave vanished, we don’t know what happened to them so it’s possible that the Entity had her kill all of them before taking her. Guess we’ll see in the Archives. Just like how Evan thought about killing his father in log 7 of Blood, Brass, and Grit

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,018

This is the plague actually sadly, as she chopped off her toe in the lore and the toe is seen missing in game

• End_of_Slayer
    End_of_Slayer Member Posts: 146

Was it Adiris? I don’t entirely remember her backstory it was either herself or one of her follows is all I could remember

• ChiTenshi
    ChiTenshi Member Posts: 877

I believe she is the Killer because she mislead others, making them believe that the gods of the religion would save everyone whilst hiding her deteriorating condition. She may have exiled herself, but she essentially ran from the damage she caused.

This is kind of a theme for her perks as well:

• Corrupt Intervention guides Survivors to gens the Killers wants them to go, luring them down a false road of doom
    • Infectious Fright causes panic in Survivors, making them run blindly to where the Killer exactly wants them
    • Dark Devotion misleads Survivors to think other Survivors are the Killer, when the real Killer is somewhere else
  • Bamallamadingdong

She cut off her own toe and offered it to the gods, that's why people were drawn to her; her devotion to the gods.

• Nyaren_Chan
    Nyaren_Chan Member Posts: 243

The Entity doesn't take people because they are evil or ever killed, it takes them into its realm because they have the potential of becoming Killers.

The Spirit for her anger and thirst for revenge, for instance.

• I kinda have my own theory that the entity was attracted to her desperation of curing her followers that he made a deal with her. So that she could kill for the entity in order to save the people that believed in her the most.

But I do like the idea that she killed all of her followers as a form of sacrafice.