The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Oni: The case for Absorption movement speed decrease and Power lost on pick-up

Zoso
Zoso Member Posts: 13

So I was watching Truetalent play and he was commenting on the movement speed decrease when using absorption and power lost when picking up survivor. He stated he would like those two things changed. Now before I get into my opinion on why I think those two things balance the killer let me make a disclaimer. True is my favorite streamer and I respect his views on the game. I think he is very knowledgeable and really thinks about the features of this game. Also, IDK if he has changed his mind on these issues and I haven't heard him dissect why he feels the way he feels about the power just that he doesn't like it based on the obvious reasons. Slow means you lose time on chases and lose of power on pick-up mean you lose the power that took time to charge.

Pro's and Con's of Absorption and Orbs for Oni.

Pro's : Orbs last longer than scratch marks, can be seen through objects and are highlighted so they are more visible than scratch marks even in high grass.

Con's : When absorbing the orbs it slows movement speed.

Based on the pros and cons I see two possible strategies. One is to focus on absorption and lose ground on the chase or two don't absorb, use the orbs as markers to find the survivor and only absorb when on a loop. Now option two has it's own set of pros and cons but to not write a 3 page essay I'll leave it at that for now. My point is this. If the absorption didn't slow you down you are guaranteed to be knocked down because you can't get away. You wouldn't be able to hide when successfully looping because the killer would be right on you. And you wouldn't waste a lot of time because he is right on top of you so once he get the hit or the down with his power or without it. He can, based on the skill of the killer, almost insta down a second person.

Pro's and Con's of Power for Oni

Pro's : Movement speed, Instant downs, Good horizontal control when using rush.

Con's : Lost when picking up survivor, mid to high difficulty.

So the con, lost when picking up survivor, is very big no doubt about it but i'd argue the time it takes to down someone especially when the power is mastered can be so efficient that it would be a slaughter if you don't lose the skill. And also the fact that it almost guarantees a down is impressive on to itself.

Now this post is to give a counter to the idea that absorption should not have a speed decrease and the power shouldn't end if picking someone up. This is not necessarily to counter only Truetalent but I'm assuming he is not the only one who will make that suggestion.

Comments

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

I totally agree with you on those two things. At first I was dismayed about the power drainage in particular, but after playing him a bit more and realising how powerful he is otherwise, it makes perfect sense from a balance perspective.

The fact that it encourages slugging is not ideal, but at the same time Michael's power theoretically encourages slugging as well, and I've always found him to be one of the most enjoyable killers to play both as and against. So I guess we'll have to wait and see how that part works out in practice in terms of player behaviour, and if it becomes a problem it can always be adjusted later on.

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144

The power loss on pick up I think should be changed. Allowing Oni to keep his power after picking up survivors would increase his pressure potential. Sounds like a good change to me.

Not so sure about speeding up his movement speed while absorbing blood. His main power is supposed to be really strong, so allowing him to recharge it with ease might be a bit too much. But we'll have to see.

• ingridves
    ingridves Member Posts: 8

I think his power shouldn't be lost when he picks up a survivor, like.. Youre going to lose some time to put them on the hook anyway, so why drain his power?

• Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 1,998

Many of the Onis I've played against, probably not very experienced ones, seem to consistently make the mistake of slugging in order to preserve their power. In the process, they often end up finding nobody else or downing only one other person, by which time the other person has already recovered and escaped.

That makes it really hard for me to judge, without playing, whether or nor the power drain is effective because many Onis themselves aren't dealing with it properly. That said, by the time the power activates the first time, the Oni usually isn't going to have any trouble getting it off the second time. I don't think the loss on pick-up is a big deal because of that. The first time's the hardest.