Why do the devs purposefully make bad perks

So every knows the perks they skip in there blood web for a tool box or killer add on so why are they there why is balanced landing getting a nurf but HOPE and beast of pray literally are invisible on blood webs who watches a YouTube video a just says wow what perk is that and have to Google what it is because no one uses it I mean like yay new killer new survivor new perks but we're are they not in your build because your running Barbie Q and chilli ruin nurses calling and sloppy butcher thinking you'll see a survivor with new perks nope metta is life they don't need new perks that can't always be used or old ones that weren't good to start with this needs to be fixed I could promise if they did a rework those old perks the game would be bursting with diversity

Answers

• SilentSpectre
    SilentSpectre Member Posts: 830

Some perks exist solely to thematically prop up a killer, like Territorial Imperative. Others are supremely meta and useful in 99% of games, like B&C. The perks designs are the result of the dev team's tinkering.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,357

Of all the perks to deem as bad, you went with Hope? That perk can make a person practically untouchable during endgame.

As far as other perks go, many times a perk will see nice synergy with other perks. Personally, I'm looking forward to slotting in nemesis to synergize with PWYF on Bubba, or use it to synergize with Judith's journal on Myers. Its completely ok that these perks dont become hugely meta with every build or every killer, as long as they dont become the next monstrous shrine lvl of completely uselessness.

That being said, the devs HAVE been going back and updating alot of the older perks to buff them up a little. I myself have been using detective's hunch alot more now after its update, and I'm sure you might see more BoP after this next update.

• FriendlyGuy
    FriendlyGuy Member Posts: 2,768

Some of the perks can be useful in niche builds, but honestly, most new perks are useless af.

• Andreyu44
    Andreyu44 Member Posts: 1,527

Hope is great ,bro.

• Artyomich
    Artyomich Member Posts: 281

Hope is awesome though.

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,939

I think that the Chapter 14 Perks seem quite useful. But I am disappointed in Demogorgon's and Ash's Perks. I do not mind if there is 1 useless Perk out of the 3 teachables, but on them 2, all 3 are useless or barely effective

• yoi
    yoi Member Posts: 338

Because they can't create decisive Strike level perks all the time and why would them if then they have to nerf itt? The latest stupid perk was mom and got nerfed.

• Pokerface303
    Pokerface303 Member Posts: 110

It's not even that they are releasing weak perks cus I could care less as long as it's fun that's all I'm asking for. But some or these perks serve literally no use. Take Furtive Chase for an example, name one time that perk is ever useful. Or Mind breaker, you would have to be a stealth killer at the start of the match and the person you find needs to have sprint burst for it to be useful. It's the same on the survivor side to for example premonition, why would you ever use that over spine chill. Buckle up serves no purpose because you know if somone is recovering if they are not moving and you know if the killer is coming by the heart beat so that parts pointless.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430

Barbie Q?

🤣

• Rex_Huin
    Rex_Huin Member Posts: 1,208

I sacrificed someone with Monstrous Shrine just 2 days ago. They even tried two attempt escapes. I did laugh.

Admittedly though it was just a joke build with Santa Clown.

• aregularplayer
    aregularplayer Member Posts: 906
  • Rex_Huin
    Rex_Huin Member Posts: 1,208

If you do happen to get someone to the basement it feels pretty good!

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

Furtive Chase with four stacks halves a standard killer's terror radius while in a chase. On someone like Huntress, it would reduce her TR to 4 metres. There are a lot of crazy plays you could make with that. Off the top of my head, you could combine it with Beast of Prey to make mindgaming loops easier, or use it to counter BT.

Mindbreaker, you already gave one example of a time it could be useful. If you're able to close chases quickly, it can stop survivors from using exhaustion perks to make a quick getaway. You could also combine it with addons for an anti-exhaustion build.

Premonition, while not as good as Spine Chill for knowing when the killer is coming, can be useful in a lot of situations for knowing where the killer is approaching from, and thus to know which direction to run or be able to choose an appropriate hiding spot.

Buckle Up is very good in clutch situations where someone is being slugged, particularly as a solo survivor. If the killer is nearby and a teammate is on the ground, you might have time to get them up if and only if they're fully recovered, but stopping to check can be lethal. Bucking Up could mean the difference between life and death in a scenario like that (which are more common than you may think). And again, being able to see the killer's aura tells you which direction they're coming from, so you both know where not to run.

Of course, none of these will be challenging the meta any time soon, but they're all far from useless.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,311

Hope isn't even that bad. It basically halves the speed advantage a 115% movement speed killer has over a survivor, it's just a heavily specialized perk.

Most commonly seen perks are generalist perks, perks that are more likely to come into play than their specialized counterparts.

• LordGlint

Furtive chase combined with the new nemesis and make your choice. The savior becomes the new obsession, which activates Nemesis' effect of showing their aura for you to go 1 shot them. Throw in PWYF for some extra fun. Works incredibly well on Wraith due to him being able to get around faster and break chase immediately.

• Pokerface303
    Pokerface303 Member Posts: 110

Nemesis doesn't active though until the obsession stuns you so yea the myc would become the obsession but then you would have to find them and make them stun you which at that point the myc could already be out.

• Fibijean
    edited November 2019

With Furtive Chase, anyone who unhooks your obsession becomes the obsession. Nemesis activates any time the obsession changes and shows their aura.

• LordGlint

My bad, the perk said it shows the aura of the new obsession when the obsession changes. Was using that 3 perk combo on Wraith already, just figured that would be handy on it when I read it to fill the 4th slot. Typically running windstorm addons will get you back to the hook fast enough to find the savior before he goes far, build up some more PWYF stacks and 1 shot the savior.

• Fibijean
    edited November 2019

No, you had it right, he made a mistake. Your build works - Nemesis will activate and show you the person's aura when they become the obsession after unhooking the current obsession (because Furtive Chase).

• LordGlint

Thats what I thought, I just havent bothered doing much testing on the PTB. Ppl tend to just DC if your not playing as the new killer, even if your trying to test new perks.

• UncannyLuck
    UncannyLuck Member Posts: 210

No, he was right and you both are misreading the perk. People tested it - it's only when you're stunned/blinded.

• Ksoni
    Ksoni Member Posts: 607
    edited November 2019

2 new oni perks are soo uselles too. First one, that's lets you read pallets and windows auras (and have a damm cooldown for whatever reason) is considered good for new players. But a new player, won't have 9000 shards immediately to buy oni and unlock he's perks. (Eventually 2700 to buy one from the shrine, but who would rather buy this crap instead of all the other good perks). And if this player will grind those 9000 shards and unlock this killer, will he be considered as a new player anymore? If you want to make noob-frendly perks, but them in base kits for everyone.

Second one, after hooking a surv, all injured survs will bleed more and have exhaustion. As i see this perk for the first time i think "Oh this perk would be good on Oni!" But after thinking awhile. Why would i pick this perk instead of sloppy butcher? It applies bleeding immediately AND makes healing slower. If you are alredy making a perk for specific character, make it actually good! The great example is legion.

You could make something on oni like. When you hit a healthy survivor. Every other survivor withing your terror radious is bleeding and have exhaustion for 45 seconds. This one have much more combo potential with other perks like disstresing or bloodhund. See? Much better.

Now change my mind.

• Fibijean

It says "Anytime a new Survivor becomes the Obsession, they are affected by the Oblivious status effect for 40 seconds and their aura is shown to you for 4 seconds." If you're telling me that it doesn't mean "anytime" but only "when a survivor becomes your obsession as a result of this perk", that's an incredibly misleading perk description.

• LordGlint

The first perk you mentioned is pretty much the killer version of Windows of oppertunity. If you can rationalize a new player getting Kate and her perks...Why not rationalize THIS? As far as the 2nd perk goes, I see this working incredibly well on Plague since EVERYONE is constantly injured. After hooking someone, as long as you start a chase within a reasonable time, you know that person is already exhausted and doesnt have dead hard or other exhaustion perks at the ready to help them.

• LordGlint

Wouldn't be surprised if it not working as its description states is unintended and going to be changed when he hits live.

• Joekillu
    Joekillu Member Posts: 164

Same reason they over think nerfs.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

Well bad or non-meta perks can also lead to some fun gimmick builds and help people learn play-styles. If all the perks were super powerful then we would have very limited build testing/tinkering and things would get really stale.

I find "meta" game play stale as it is and often use uncommon perks to have some fun. I've grown very fond of Alert even though its far from a meta perk or a very good one.

• Watery
    Watery Member Posts: 1,167

Not every perk has to be meta.

It adds more variety, and can also cater to different playstyle, giving a unique depth. You can experiment with perks to find YOUR perk build, something you enjoy or you find useful.

• lightning_lif3
    lightning_lif3 Member Posts: 14

They don't need to make a DS but just don't make a deja Vu level perk and say it like it going to be game changing

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,971

hope is extremely good against hag and huntress what you mean

• lightning_lif3
    lightning_lif3 Member Posts: 14

Ya but not against a killer that moves faster than rock

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,112

The devs 'purposefully' make 'bad' perks? That's one hell of an accusation! Where's your proof?

• akbays35
    akbays35 Member Posts: 1,123

Ways to fix bad perks:

Deja Vu: increase gen speed repair action by 3%

Boil Over: Reveal yourself and the Killer's aura using it.

Buckle UP: Increase healing speed on dying survivors by 50%

Calm Spirit: reveals crow spawns that have been disturbed.

No Mither: Remove 75% of sounds, increases endgame survival points by 200% as a post match bonus.

No One Left Behind: Gain up to 10 stacking tokens that give 25% bonus endgame Altruism points at a 12% increase in speed.

Ds: Remove the 5 second stun, if the survivor is hooked a second time within 60s the killer's aura is revealed until the survivor is unhooked. If the survivor dies while the debuff is active it stays on the killer for the remainder of the trial.

• Jacoby2041
    Jacoby2041 Member Posts: 843

There's a difference between meta and useful. For example, Autodidact isn't meta but it can still be useful, you might not always get it to work but (at least in my opinion) it's worth using outside of meme builds and can make a big difference. Another example is Tenacity, while it's on the lower side of the usefulness scale and might be outclassed by Unbreakable, it can be very handy if the killer decides to slug and then you're gone from the area by the time they get back, when you wouldn't have had enough time to recover with Unbreakable, and you can get in a better position for revival without losing recovery time.

I'm talking about perks like Monstrous Shrine that do next to nothing and will only make a significant difference less than 1% of the time and the rest of the time it's basically a wasted slot. There aren't as many perks like this as there used to be since they are fixing a few with each chapter but there are still some floating around

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

Monsterous shrine is a bad example as it was one of the first perks to be created when DBD was first released. Due to this the team/person who created the perk had no concept of current day mechanics/balance/builds to work from. Monstrous Shrine does not suffer from bad design due to the perk being horrible but rather due to it being outdated, much like Trapper.

• LegionOfDumb
    LegionOfDumb Member Posts: 623

There's also over 130 perks in the game... not all are guaranteed to be winners.

• Plaquer
    Plaquer Member Posts: 197

Because they are fun, fun is more important than meta, and by creating powerful perks on either side could easily cause problems which could totally shift the meta