A perk you wouldn't think slows generators better than Ruin

Tell if me you disagree or not,

Guess what it is! Devour Hope. Here's why it's better:

Devour Hope is a Hex perk that increases with power as survivors are unhooked when you are far away. Ruin is a Hex perk that slows generator progress by damaging the effects of skill checks. Here's some things to think about both perks:

-Devour Hope can have up to 5 tokens. At 2, you are faster for a short time after hooking a survivor. At 3, survivors suffer from the exposed status effect (M1 attacks send them into the dying state even when healthy). At 5, you can Mori (kills on the spot) any survivor in the dying state.

-Survivors CAN spawn extremely close and nearly instantly cleanse a Hex Totem and remove it from the game without giving you a chance to defend it.

-When survivors see you have Ruin (the first skill check they receive on a generator) many will start their search for Ruin's totem to disable the perk.

-If you are only using Devour Hope, survivors will see no reason to search for Hex totems when the game starts, so it is less risky to bring it than any other Hex perk (besides NOED)

-Devour Hope's effects are hidden from survivors until you M1 a survivor after your 3rd token or Mori a survivor after your 5th token. The latter if much harder to be their first sighting of it.

-When survivors discover you have Devour Hope, they must search for the totem and cleanse it or face killer progress and pressure increasing very quickly untill their loss with (almost) no other counter play.

-When Devour Hope is known by the survivors, one of two things happen. a)Survivors find the totem and cleanse it, but only after you profit from its uses and waste precious generator progress time or b) The game is in a permanent stand still where the only chance of escape is the hatch.

-Devour Hope's effect on generator progress isn't directly slowing it or regressing it. What it does is put survivors in a position where if they don't act, the game is over.

Ruin just wastes some time on generators. The survivors might even waste more of your time while you try to defend it than it's worth. But, of course this can go either way.

It should be noted that Devour Hope is especially strong on Trapper (what I use), Hag, and Freddy. These stated results are less prominent on killers who have trouble defending Hex Totems.

If you have a perk like Pop Goes the Weasel on the side, generators never stood a chance!

Comments

• DBD_Pinhead
    DBD_Pinhead Member Posts: 763

I run it on Spirit because she can get hooks in a hurry and I add BBQ, Pop, and a flex perk. You get rushed at first but after hook 3 you can snowball FAST, I've downed multiple survivors trying to clean the hex on a few occasions.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Btw, I practically never face the Perk myself, but use it loads, so I gotta ask...

Do Survivors know they're Exposed immediately after getting your 3rd Token, or is it after the first hit you land?

Also, does Exposed still pop up when your first hit is on an Injured Survivor?

• fisherman
    fisherman Member Posts: 16

Pops up only on the 3rd stack hit. Even if injured. NOED works the same

• Bassador
    Bassador Member Posts: 92

Haha I’m sure to find it as soon as I spawn. I cleanse every totem just because of NOED

• DWolfAlpha
    DWolfAlpha Member Posts: 927

Combine this with dying light. Then, you are slowing gen progression while building up your tokens.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

Not that great on Huntress.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627

@Bassador Since inner Strength this is actually the regular case. I even notice more people cleansing the Hex totem than being afraid of Hauted Grounds. Maybe it is becasue of greedy point farming, but I cleanse hex totems as well even when no Ruin is around. I just try to time it, for example when someone just got injured, it might be a wasted totem effect. And of course I won't do it if I see the obsession is being chased or if I have LOS to a chase with a healthy survivor.

The title is pretty misleading. You could also say Make Your Choice is slowing down gens, as you can get a snowball effect without any preconditions. But that has nothing to do with gen speed.

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793

The biggest thing is a Ruin that gets cleansed after 3 minutes gave you something, a Devour that gets cleaned after 3 minutes probably hasn’t built up yet.

Devour hope is great if it lasts all game, but so is Ruin. DH is fun, I break it out occasionally and when you manage to get it working you feel like you pulled one over on people.

• Atrushan88
    Atrushan88 Member Posts: 2,092

I use it on Spirit with Pop as my gen slow perk. They think I'm just running Haunted Grounds if they find the totem because Pop is my gen slowing perk. If they don't cleanse when that 3rd stack attack hits, they're pretty much screwed.

• Jacksansyboy
    Jacksansyboy Member Posts: 174

My godly trapper build is ruin, devour, thrill of the hunt, and bbq. One trap in front of every totem, with bloody coil if you want to be extra mean. Then they will waste all their time on uncleanseable totems until i get my 3 stacks, then they die. The first time, they usually will run into the trap, then once everyone knows where it is, just put a trap nearby where they will run.

• Zerog
    Zerog Member Posts: 27

Survivors dont know they are exposed until they actually get hit by your m1, which is why some killers like chainsaw wielders and demogorgon can hide the devour by using theyr power beyond 3rd token

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Yeah, i knew that's how it was before Status Effects, but i didn't know for sure if that's how it also is now or not. 😋

• KingHEADBUSTER
    KingHEADBUSTER Member Posts: 75

I run ruin, tremors thantophobia, and discordant. Works really well to slow game down and pushes survivors together.

• aregularplayer
    aregularplayer Member Posts: 906

If it glows, it blows. If it's Haunted Ground I'll happily be downed, but I'll never leave a lit totem alone. That's my approach as a solo survivor.

• DBD_Pinhead
    DBD_Pinhead Member Posts: 763

I used to play Trapper but I kept getting stomped early game because I have a bunch of useless perks for the moment.

• Jacksansyboy
    Jacksansyboy Member Posts: 174

I don't play trapper often, but he's the only killer i use devour hope on.

• terumisan
    terumisan Member Posts: 1,293

It'll get destroyed because survivors don't trust glowing things

• dkyguy1995
    dkyguy1995 Member Posts: 45

I recently had a daily ritual to kill a survivor by my own hand and decided to make it more of a challenge and use devour hope. Took me three days to get a single kill with it because survivors would cleanse that ######### almost instantaneously. Without fail it would get popped around 2 tokens. I almost never made it to the third token and if I happened to do it without a survivor just stumbling in on it then once I was insta-downing it would for sure be cleansed within a minute. I eventually got a super lucky game where they three gen'ed themselves right next to my totem so I could easily keep pulling them off the totem while still paying attention to gens. If it wasn't for that really specific situation I might not ever have gotten the kill. I'm sure now and then people get lucky with the totem spawn on certain maps but most of the time devour hope seems like a complete meme to me

• StrickxNyne
    StrickxNyne Member Posts: 230

Thantaphobia, ruin, nurses calling and NOED. Thant forces healing or slow down. They heal you see them with nurses. Ruin helps slow it all down. NOED if they still manage to rush. My anti rush build for Nurse Trapper and hag

• Go_Go_Roboto
    Go_Go_Roboto Member Posts: 330
  • EJmurdermain
    EJmurdermain Member Posts: 109

If I put a hex on I might just put all hex on to know where survivors are and they might cleanse the less important hex. Devour hope, Ruin, Hunt, and any other would work.

• Apple2o
    Apple2o Member Posts: 624

Are people here really trying to argue that devour hope or the third seal are better than ruin?

Good lord. Ruin almost always gives you value. Devour / third seal don't. It's about as simple as that. Any hex totem is great if it's not cleansed.

• Laakeri
    Laakeri Member Posts: 835

Self Care is best slowdown perk for killers.

• BunnyTheHutt
    BunnyTheHutt Member Posts: 1,773

This. If you wanted too run Devour you would need Corrupt Intervention too give you the time needed for a good early game, because Unless you're Spirit, Nurse, or Billy you won't have the gen pressure needed.