The rift is still too grindy

So I'm back after I took a break for a month and see that nothing has been done to the rift fragment grind. You can see my previous post about the rift if you want the details but in short after you complete ALL the challenges in ALL the levels of the tome (some of the challenges are total bs but that's a topic for another day) you still need to play around 7 games (maybe more, depending on how much exp in a match you get) A DAY to unlock tier 70 in the rift (for me it averages around 4 hours a day and maybe more depending on the que times, that is if I consistently play every day which I know it won't happen since I took a longer break and probably will take more breaks in the future) assuming you play both killer and survivor for the first wins and the challenges. It is baffling to me that the devs think that this is a good idea even tho they said previously that to complete the rift you will only need to play for about an hour a day(that is a blatant lie).

As it stands right now it's only catered to the whales who can buy rift tiers (1 tier = 100 auric cells), nolifers and streamers who can sink an ungodly amount of time a day in this game which the average players can't do since they have jobs and family.

Overall I'm very disappointed how Behaviour has handled their battlepass, it's deseptive ,scummy, cash grabby and it lures us with the promise of getting our cells back but what's the point if we can't reach the end tier.

I don't hate the devs nor the game as a matter of fact I love the game and devs that made and are making it. I have spent a lot of money on the game more often to support the devs then to buy a skin that I really like and because of that it saddens me that they are willing to sacrifice good will for some money even tho this can be changed with a few tweaks.

Possible tweaks:

Half the amount of exp needed for a rift fragment.

Put more challenges in the tome for possibly more fragments.

Comments

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

The Rift is even more grindy now than it was, and it's a direct consequence of player complaints.

The devs even warned us of that when they changed the challenges to make them easier.

Originally, the challenges were designed at a certain difficulty level such that they would take a certain amount of time to complete, meaning that between the challenges and the passive XP gained while playing the game in pursuit of challenges, most people should be able to complete the Rift without having to grind extra games in between.

But because people complained that the challenges were too difficult, they've been made easier, so now the Rift is overall even more grindy than it was before.

The original 70-80 hour estimate does seem to be pretty far off, admittedly, but a significant proportion of players seem to be on track to complete the Rift all the same. Remember we're not even halfway through, and we won't know the full story until it's over. Also remember that "completable for the average player" is not the same as "completable for every player". Mathematically, it means that probably 40% of players will not be able to complete the Rift without buying progress.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,333

Im currently at rift lvl 40 with tome lvl 3 barely touched yet. Figured by the time lvl 3 and 4 is done, I should be pretty much finished. I have a family including a 8 month old I have to keep an ear out for while playing, as well as a full time job. Im pretty confident I'll be able to finish up just fine considering the time for rift is ALMOST half over.

• GodDamn_Angela
    GodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,213
    edited December 2019

I'm at Tier 60 right now and I never paid for any levels. I still have a few Challenges in tome 3 to do too.

😶

I don't really play nonstop but I dunno.

Its not even that grindy. Stop exaggerating.

And if you don't play for a month and then don't even want to play 7 games a day for the next month, why should you be able to unlock everything in the rift?

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340

I'm under casual...I probably avg 3-4 games a night. I can't do survivor challenges because of my lousy queue times mixed with my high rank. There's no way I'll get to level 70 unless I start playing like an addict 😂 at this point.

• The_Bootie_Gorgon

I'm under casual...I probably avg 3-4 games a night. I can't do survivor challenges because of my lousy queue times mixed with my high rank. There's no way I'll get to level 70 unless I start playing like an addict 😂 at this point.

• Elegant
    Elegant Member Posts: 443

People have already finished the rift. It's not super hard. If I didn't have finals coming up I would be a lot further along into it than I already am. There's also still an entire month to keep grinding ranks. It's not that bad

• DelsKibara
    DelsKibara Member Posts: 3,127

I'd like to mention that you have taken a month's long break, so of course the Rift will feel grindier than it is. You haven't played for a whole month.

• GodDamn_Angela

This is basically why the rift is even here, besides(obviously) to make some money. They want people to play their game, and by doing so you unlock things for the game so it creates an incentive to keep playing and thus keeps the game going.

I don't understand why people think they should be able to unlock these things by not playing, without paying for it. Its confusing to say the least.

• Stains
    Stains Member Posts: 75

The point of battlepasses be a side reward for playing every day, it's supposed to be something more for your average playtime and not having to play and grind like a mindless robot for 4 hours every day just to reach the end.

There is no satisfaction in grinding the tiers it's either commit and grind every day or don't buy it.

• TheHourMan
    TheHourMan Member Posts: 1,052
    edited December 2019

Oh my god it is not grindy. I did ALL of the challenges of Tomes 1 and 2 in less than a day each. 1 took me around 3 hours and 2 took me around 5. Tome 3 takes around 8 hours after the changes from what I have seen, previously taking around 10. You have 37 days left to do 8 + (tome 4 time) hours of work. That is not bad at all if you play DbD regularly.

If you are a player puts in less than 10 hours per week, then don't buy a battle pass in a game.

• Stains

For me it looses the feel of just playing the game as I normally do knowing that I have to play at least 7 games if I'm to be able get the next tier for that day

• TheHourMan
    TheHourMan Member Posts: 1,052

Do you realize there were people complaining that they were completing the rift too quickly? I saw people with the nectar charm in the third week of the rift.

• Elegant

You don't have to grind every day. There are plenty of days I haven't played or have played little and i'm still around rank 40 on the rift pass. If you don't feel satisfaction from buying the rift pass because you don't play enough, then don't buy it. It's not that grindy and it can be pretty easily accomplished within the time frame. Other games have way grindier battle passes like LoL's. You also said that you didn't play for a month. That's your fault. You chose to take the break and not play the game for 30 days. That's 30 days worth of time you could have spent trying to complete some of the challenges or leveling up the pass. If people can just take month long breaks in the middle of a pass and still finish it, it would be incredibly boring like LoL's pass is. d

• LordGlint

My point is before the rift...someone who played 10 rounds did it because they wanted to. Now if that same person plays 10 rounds, they look at it as a grind and not the same game they were JUST playing.

• Stains

It's not that I don't want to play 7 games a day, the problem is that sometimes I don't have time to be playing a game for that long

• GodDamn_Angela
    edited December 2019

Yea. Its crazy. Though a lot of them seem to be the kind of people who have a "fear of missing out" and make that the most important fact.

I think, for some people, they just haven't realized nothing is different except for the fact they get more out of playing now.

• Stains

I've taken a break out of frustration to see if the devs would adjust the rift, even a month ago I've made a post saying the rift is grindy and how it shouldn't be

• LordGlint

Darn you devs for giving me free stuff for doing what I would be doing anyways!!!-shakes angry fist-

Some of these challenges though I know SOME people really had to struggle with...like fixing a gen.

• Stains

Like I said it's either commit and grind every day or don't buy the pass. Not buying the pass means not getting all the cosmetics and accessories which I would be fine if after the pass they would put them in the store for auric cells

• DelsKibara
    DelsKibara Member Posts: 3,127

They did mention they might add the items in the Rift into the Store at some point, the only thing you will be missing out are Charms. They are Rift Exclusive.

• Elegant

If they ever do that I definitely won't buy a pass again. That defeats the point for me

• Stains

The thing is that you not getting stuff for free, having the reward be gated a huge grind means that the devs don't respect your time or your money, and it also incentivises people to spend even more on the tiers since they already made the commitment and that feel and that is a terrible and scummy way to milk your playerbase.

If the rift was free I wouldn't give a damn about it

• Elegant

The whole point of the pass for me is grinding for exclusive items. Most of the cosmetics items aren't that amazing. The value in them is never being able to get them again. If they take away that aspect they might as well get rid of the pass because people won't buy it. Especially if the only exclusive is the charms, which so far are extremely underwhelming and pretty irrelevant cosmetics.

• Kirakux
    Kirakux Member Posts: 36

Personally I haven't had to much issues with it. I kinda like something that makes me work for it. I mean you're playing the game anyways...

the only quest I had an issue with was the stupid EGC unhooks. One is doable but two in one game was brutal.

tbh I was fine with all the other ones, heck I even finished all the killer ones for tome 3.

I'm also one the idiots that bought the battlepass cause I wanted the little charm at tier 70, which I finally got today. Sad about the recolors though lol.

I didnt buy any tiers though, just the battle pass and I got all my auric shards back so I'm kinda indifferent about it.

I'm probably one of the very few that's alright with all this.

• The_Bootie_Gorgon

I was pretty sure from the begining that I wouldn't be able to get to tier 70 without pushing aside other things that I give my time to, so I decided not to buy the pass.

• Stains

I would be much happier and less frustrated if they just scraped the rift and put everything in the store.

As it stands right not it's just a trap for the casual and late to the pass people who think they can finish the pass but inevitably don't only to realize that it's made this way for them to buy the tier if they want to complete it

• Elegant

I wouldn't. I'm only playing the game again because of the rift. I stopped playing because the game had zero progression system (no i'm not counting bloodpoints and perks as progression). I took a break a week or two after the anniversary stream when it was announced and didn't play again until the rift launched. I would very likely not touch the game again if they took it out and didn't replace it with a similar progression system.

• Elegant

It's not a "trap" for casual players. It's pretty obvious and simple for most people that if they don't play the game very much they won't earn the rewards from a battle pass. They aren't tricking anyone.

• Fibijean

Personally, I totally agree with you about exclusives, but they did say from the start that that was what's going to happen with the Rift. All the cosmetics, with the exception of the charms, will appear in the Store eventually, but it won't be for at least six months after the Rift ends.

• Stains

Maybe it's obvious now that the rift is one month in but back when I bought it it was advertised as casual friendly, how it take one hour a day and that everyone could complete it .

• Fibijean

I mean, I totally agree. That's why I'm as far along the Rift as I am, because I just play normally when I'm not doing challenges and enjoy the game just as much. I phrased it that way not because it was how I personally felt, but because it's how the OP and presumably a few other people feel about the Rift. I felt that explaining why it may feel so grindy might be more helpful than just flat-out telling him he's wrong.

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

Precisely. I am away from home about 12-13 hours every day, due to commuting distances and such, and I don't have the pleasure to play the game non-stop everyday. I can squeeze in an hour and two tops. I am like.. tier 23-24 in the Rift.

• Fibijean

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me, or you misinterpreted the point I was trying to make.

• Elegant

That's really dumb and will hurt the sales a lot. Unless the prices of the cosmetics are super inflated in the store, it won't be worth getting a battle pass. For example, i'm at rank 39 on my pass atm. There are 11 cosmetics (not including charms) left for me to get. I would estimate the cost of all those items to be about $29. It would cost me slightly more than that to just buy out the rest of the pass for $31. Of those cosmetics I would only buy 1-3 of them, which is about the same price as the pass, if not cheaper. No one is going to care enough about having to get a cosmetic RIGHT NOW, especially since none of the cosmetics are exceptional. They would have to heavily improve the charms for a pass to be worth it.

• Elegant

and I was agreeing with you.

• Fibijean
    edited December 2019

The pass is still very much worth it, financially. The cosmetics in the store will probably be at the normal prices for their rarity - so "very rare" outfits from the Rift will be 1080 cells in the Store, for example. By completing the Rift, we're still getting hundreds of dollars worth (in terms of Store prices) of cosmetics for $10. It's objectively a great bargain from a monetary perspective.

I believe the idea behind putting them in the Store is part of their movement away from exclusive cosmetics in general - they don't want new players who join in the future to feel like they missed out, so the devs want to give those players an option to still obtain the same cosmetics if they wish, but those who complete the Rift now still get the best end of the deal by far.

Ah, good to know 😋

• LordGlint

I usually dont play survivor, but these challenges has me playing and appreciating it alot more now. I lvled up Feng here instead of just playing Claudette like I always did before, Got myself a neat cosmetic for her and get these charms dangling on my back... Its the small things, but Im thinking the look is cool.

• Stains

The math still stands, having to play for 4 hours a day is what the majority realty can't do including me. It was said that the rift would be catered toward the casual audience and not the hardcore grinders that play this game non-stop and then say that the rift is fine

A lot of my games are filed with people without the pass and many have said to me that the rift is too grindy for them

• GodDamn_Angela
    edited December 2019

If you were playing one hour a day and doing the tomes this whole time you'd be quite a bit along now compared to taking a month off hoping they'd change the system.

And if they did you'd be complaining you'd have to play x hours a day to complete it, because obviously playing an hour a day was to much for you.

This is a system that is in place to reward loyal players who play regularly.

You spent your own money on this. They didn't force you to and they didn't trick you. You decided you didn't want to attempt it and now you are back complaining it's going to be even harder for you to complete it. I'm not really sure what you were expecting but with how long the rift is around for you should have expected it wouldn't be a "blast it out in a week" affair.

• ygnea
    ygnea Member Posts: 116

I don't see why people care about the rift so much. There's literally no benefit to it besides cosmetics. Nothing in the game will change if you don't hit tier 70. The grind is there for people who want the cosmetics and want the bragging rights. Nothing will change if you don't hit tier 70.

• Elegant

That's if you buy every single item and use every single item. There are plenty of people like me that don't like the cosmetics very much and won't use them if they aren't exclusive. So the value isn't there if you don't use them. I can buy all the cosmetics in the store that I actually like and will actively use for around the same price as a rift pass. There's also a very strong case against them to get sued if they make the cosmetics non-exclusive. They have always advertised the rift as "time-exclusive rewards" and it was heavily implied early on that it would apply to all cosmetics. I had never heard about them adding the cosmetics to the store and that wasn't listed on the pass or news/anything else that I could see. (By that I mean on anything in game that would let people know that only the charms are exclusive and not the stuff people actually care about.) It wouldn't be a 100% win suit like the Overwatch one in the beginning, but people could make a strong case against them if they wanted to sue over it.

• Stains

Read my previous post about the rift and you will realize how grindy the rift really is.

Rewarding loyal players is not the same as rewarding hardcore grinders that sleep on this game .

It's not playing one hour a day . It's playing 4-5hours depending on the que times

Are you even trying to read the the original posts or are you just opposing me without reason

• Stains

Wow congrats to him. How much time did he spend on the game in those 19 days