Gen rushing and tunneling

underlord99
underlord99 Member Posts: 1,030
edited December 2019 in General Discussions

Why is Gen rushing "ok" but tunneling isnt? both lead to each side completing their main objective.

Comments

• VincentRedfield
    VincentRedfield Member Posts: 285

Same reason teabagging and clicking flashlights at the exit gates is not okay

• EnviouSLAY
    EnviouSLAY Member Posts: 300

gen rushing is pretty frowned on as well; but most people call it gen rushing even if every survivor is on a gen solo and pops them.

• Popsos360
    Popsos360 Member Posts: 26

Ive never understood what "gen rushing"

• Karl_Childers
    Karl_Childers Member Posts: 669
    edited December 2019

The opposite happens constantly. Many killers complain about gens, but only offer suggestions to slow them down (whether it’s longer gens or additional objective) while not even acknowledging tunneling and camping. So you would agree then, that any nerf to “genrush” should also include a nerf in the base game to tunneling and camping?

• DarthRane
    DarthRane Member Posts: 198

Tunneling is in the survivors control it's called body blocking. If you were actually concerned about it the team would make a concerted effort to block the killer. But I guess it's asking too much to get off your gen lol.

• DarthRane

Yeah it's easy it's called coordination. And cutting off the chase playing as oh I don't know A TEAM lol and unless the killer is a completel and utter idiot he's not going to just keep trying for the same kill with 3 other survivors blocking him.

• BrendanLeeT
    BrendanLeeT Member Posts: 272
    edited December 2019

There you go it's supposed to be a TEAM based game, a survivor shouldn't be able to 1v1 a killer because it would make no sense for 1 survivor to be equally powered to 1 killer when there are 4 survivors. That's why gens get done so fast because people have the mindset of "we cannot get off gens whatsoever not even to help in chases" unless it's a Meg with a flashlight of course who never touches gens and just follows the killer everywhere.

If the killer is really set into tunneling a survivor, bodyblocking will at least guarantee the tunneled survivor will get to a new loop in which if they are good can prolong the chase for a while. You don't need every survivor in the match to be bodyblocking you just need to co-ordinate it.

Last night I had meme games with Mettle of Man and I had no problem waiting for the survivor to circle around a structure then once they go past me I jump behind them and in front of the killer to gain a token.

With the introduction of Breakout, it will slightly help you in bodyblocking if the killer is trying to hook a tunneled survivor but some people are so used to meta perks that they feel naked without changing their build (not targeted towards you Enitoni but some people really struggle when they don't run meta)

• DarthRane
    edited December 2019

Guess what killers hate games where they get only 1 or in the worst case scenario 0 kills and then toxic survivors sit at the gate waiting for the killer to show up just so they can tbag in front of him lol

It's an asymetrical game. It baffles me when people are like I can't get them to play as a team, lol did you even try you know like bringing them into your chat. When evolve came out any time I played Hunter is said all the randos a party invite and you know what the vast majority of the time they would join.

Sounds to me like you have a survivor mentality problem not a killer tunneling problem lol

Asymetrical means 4 v 1 means WORK AS A TEAM lol

Post edited by Inji on
  • DarthRane

Guess you've been missing all the people crying about moris too. Which to be fair moris are one of the very few ACTUALLY OP things that killer has.

Which is ironic cause I almost never see moris when playing survivor

• BrendanLeeT
    BrendanLeeT Member Posts: 272
    edited December 2019

That's why everyone says the weakest to strongest are: Solo, Killer, SWF. I very very rarely play solo because it's true that you need to rely on randoms to do gens, loop, save, etc. You can't necessarily force randoms to play as a team and that's why SWFs have a HUGE advantage which nobody realizes called VoIP or some people are too stubborn to acknowledge the advantage (Not saying this is you @Enitoni just saying in general).

"The problem is that people that get tunneled don't feel like playing the game much after, because it sucks out all the fun."

Unfortunately there are unfun aspects for either side such as a 4 man SWF group gen rushing, 4 man SWF group playing as toxic as possible, or just terrible maps (Wretched shop) in which all survivors abuse the loops even when switching target all of them know how to play. But I realize that I just need to move on and try again because NO MATTER what game it is you'll always have bad matches.

"Cool, so you had one chance while a survivor was already at a hook. You wouldn't have the same chance if they just got unhooked and the killer was already there close enough to catch up to them immediately."

That's why perks are in the game like Borrowed Time, DS, etc. I've always argued with people who tell you to rely on perks but apparently we need to according to a lot of people. The amount of times I've seen a complaint and people reply with "Use X perk" is unreal, in my opinion a perk should help but definitely shouldn't be relied on to succeeded.

"It's also completely unnecessary. You don't have to tunnel to win a game as killer."

Depends on the scenario to be honest. If you're getting a 4 man commando squad and you find out they are super altruistic then the only way to win is to prey on that weakness. Other times if it's just a causal game when no side is sweating for the win then you're right it's absolutely not necessary.

"I'd like to clarify that by tunneling I don't mean finding the injured survivor first if they made no attempts to hide, I mean deliberately going after the survivor with the sole intention of downing them again even if they ran away from the hook and there are other survivors in view."

I agree I'm not the toxic type to rage at the killer but I do rant in calls when I get tunneled for absolutely no reason at all (Multiple gens left, didn't play toxic, etc).

Post edited by Inji on
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited December 2019

You can do a gen and not be gen rushing. Gen rushing is like 3 survivors when you chase one, all just using toolboxes and whatever else they can to increase repair speed all repairing one gen in like seconds, and then moving to the next if you can't down that one guy in time.

It's usually done with voip communication in SWF because it's a lot harder to pull off without it.

Against higher rank players there are some things you can do, depending on the killer you are, but the matchmaker/ranking system puts these types of player groups against people even in very low ranks and these poor noob killers get absolutely rolled by it.

They start camping because they have no idea what else to do, all the gens are getting done and they only got a guy on a hook one time; so they resign to doing what they think will work.

Camping also just flat out doesn't work unless you are maybe leatherface, once you get to high ranks it's just no longer possible. They use perk combinations, body blocking, and knowledge of the game they can usually bust out a few gens and then get their friend off the hook leaving you with an absolute crushing defeat, 0 kills, and only one or two hooks in points.

Edit: Also, another thing to add to the topic; is that a lot of times a killer is called a camper when they are not camping too. Like I don't camp, unless I see a survivor going right for the hooked person and I think I can get something out of that faster than going elsewhere; I don't I still get called a camper a few matches every day though; so odds are some of those people are on the forums here complaining about camping killers even if they have not actually been actually camped in a very long time.

[These are not really full opinions, rather these are just neutral ground observations about how these issues seem to work in game. Take from them what you will]

• LetsPlayTogether
    LetsPlayTogether Member Posts: 2,117

Gen rushing doesnt exist in first place, cause its the way the game is designed. Its like an myth, cause you see very rare a fast Toolbox-Squad, whose callingthem gen rushing would be the only real way talking about gen rushing.

Besides that, tunneling just means youre taking out one survivor on purpose, which just ruins that ones time in play, cause he cant participate in normal gameplay. Killer very much rely on cheap gameplay which only ruins survs time in trial (tunneling, camping, slugging).

• underlord99

lmao I swear survivor's are confusing , one point they'll say to counter ds by slugging then they call it cheap.

• TheCrookedMan
    TheCrookedMan Member Posts: 282
    edited December 2019

Stopped IMMEDIATELY after you can't force randoms to play as a team. If they won't play as a team then you all will suffer, it's just that simple. Right down to the hatch standoff.

Post edited by Inji on
  • TheCrookedMan

That's not a fair argument. Not every survivor shares a hive mind.

• underlord99

the majority of survivors do though. look through the forums.

• TheCrookedMan
    edited December 2019

You save time by getting the already injured survivor down. And he had already been hooked no less. Saving time is the most important strategy as a killer by far, as the game will punish you 10x than any one survivor for wasting time

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • Awakey
    Awakey Member Posts: 3,145
  • snax9111
    snax9111 Member Posts: 67

as a killer i get better at mind gaming, (as much as i can) and i down the survivor( as fast as i can), and i rotate around to prevent gen rushing.

but remember you can only do your part, some matches you will lose, its not your mistake, or something you could have done better. just some maps with some lucky loops, can cost you a game. which is ok , cause DBD is not competitive game

• Galklife
    Galklife Member Posts: 726

maybe if you cant handle it, maybe you shouldnt be in red rank?

but most of the time ppl are tunneling living sh out of ppl that dont even try to do gens instead of going for gen bots(most of them dies in 15sec even on red ranks) and then they cry about gens are going quick, thats why my build have both whispers and bbq to find those gen slaves that can only hide

• TheCrookedMan
    edited December 2019

Exactly. I don't care about survivors fun. What's that got to do with me? I don't owe them anything and they don't owe me anything. I will tunnel I will camp and I will do what it takes to win. This game punishes me too much as a killer to care about anyone's fun but my own.

• Awakey
    Awakey Member Posts: 3,145
    edited December 2019

A. I was serious. Gens before friends is my preference in red ranks.

B. Tunneling is valid.

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

People say tunneling is not ok, but it is of course. It's a strategy you can use in the game the way it is designed now. It's just really not fun to go against, and it would be great if it was in some way discouraged, by nerfing that strategy, but at the moment I don't see how that would be possible.

The main difference is that survivors can only complete their objective of repairing 5 gens by repairing gens, simple as that. There's nothing more to it. They need to survive as long as possible and try to get 5 gens done before being killed by the killer.

Killers however are able to get kills and complete their objective without tunneling one survivor. That's the main difference, and why I think tunneling is just a strategy that is an annoying product of the game's overall design. Tunneling is just one strategy, whereas survivors don't have any other strategies for repairing gens other than just repairing gens. Obviously you could argue the objective design of the game is flawed, and the fact that it can be completed as fast as well. On the other hand balance wise it would hurt the game if survivors got increased objective time at the moment.

• Negan4891
    Negan4891 Member Posts: 53

I tunnel at the beginning of the game. I dont care whos game i ruin. They ruin my game with loops pallet slams. Go ahead bring your items. I just run Franklin damise. Evry body trys to body block it never works. They to body block the hook and i just drop the survior im carrying and start swinging. And ds doesn't work with me. Cuz i make them use it quickly and then i still tunnel them. Thats a killers job.

• MisterCremaster
    MisterCremaster Member Posts: 614

Typically it means each survivor tries to do their own gen for the first 3 or 4. This usually gets 3 done before the first hook, since the killer can only focus on one at a time and only likely knows where one is. On bigger maps it's really hard to counter since even if you know a gen rush is happening, you can't do much about it with most killers. Break chase on your current Target and he goes back to his gen and you waste time finding and traversing to the next.

While multiple survivors on one gen gets that one done faster, the killer can scatter them all and kick progress on the only gen with progress.

This is made worse by toolboxes and stuff.

• MisterCremaster

I'll also note that it's the deliberate use of this tactic. Very often surivors just spawn next to their own gen and there is no reason to go find another. Just like accidental tunnelling happens when you only know where the one survivor is.

This is why killers should never use the " all survs start sperated offering"

• Popsos360

But... All u have to do is use wispers and juggle it shouldnt be much of an issue and i dont think it should be complained about as much since its... The game for survivors. But... Im not saying oh tunnelling is just the worse were yeah it will feel like it if u are getting tunneled but alot of the time its overy whined about and way too much were yes there are killers that tunnel on purpose but thats not helping them unless ur team lets it help them. So if you have a good team tunnelling should be no issue (other than for you on that one game) but like i said before gen rushing is easily countered and so is tunnelling so there should be no isse.

• Popsos360

So you're telling me that you have fun playing like that? I play a fairly even amount of suv and killer and i dont like to play like or against a killer like that i play billy and im very aggressive but i dont get mad at a suv for doing what they are supposed too to survive. If you dont like it use enduring spirit furry. Or... Obviously this game is not for you if ur "not having fun".

• MisterCremaster

On the big maps, unless you are a high mobility killer, there really isn't a counter for that type of gen rush though. Breaking of from a chase when you don't know what other gens are being done will make you lose. The person you chased will just go back to their gen and the others will likely be completed as you traverse to them.

It's not a gen speed thing, it's a map issue for most killers.

The best way to correct it is to adjust game mechanics so survivors need to cluster more often, so the killer can stop the effect of more survivors.

• Popsos360
    edited December 2019

I really dont have an issue with gen speed i main billy but i play them all (except wraith) and i dont feel as though i get "gen rushed" .

Edit:unless they are using tb or pts.

Post edited by Popsos360 on
  • Negan4891
    Negan4891 Member Posts: 53

@Popsos360 yeah i have fun playing the game. And yes i play like that. Why play fair when they dont. When does killers play fair? The only time play fair is when i do my daily ritul. Cuz i dont kill nobody. I actualy help them out. But other then that. I dont. You got to rember. They are playing your game when you are killer. And im not sorry. I will play the killer the way are ment to be play.

• HeroLives
    HeroLives Member Posts: 1,985

If too many gens pop too fast I start looking through chests and other stuff. Maybe stare at the moon, if the killer wasn’t playing like a douche. If they were ######### em I’m popping gens. Blood must have blood.

• yoi
    yoi Member Posts: 338

Is a valid strstegy as long as survivors can do their objective in 5 mins even less why can't the killer do his objective fast?

• HeroLives
    HeroLives Member Posts: 1,985

They can, if you think they can’t then you’ve obviously never played solo survivor

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,693

Yeah. He should have just camped someone out of the game at 5 gens, camped the next person out of the game, and milked the last two people for BP.

Thanks for the inspiration :)

• Popsos360
    edited December 2019

I havnt played much killer this month but rank 8 (usually lower).

• Popsos360

I hope you didnt missunderstand me but im completely un-biased (i play alot of both) i personally dont like tunneling and camping in general on either team im not saying you deserve the death penalty im just saying youre obvoisly not enjoying the game if you have the most fun starring at somone that cant do anything. But i do camp/tunnel when there is a key or somone that is continuously making my gaming less fun i enjoy being overly aggresive and when i get punished for it i dont camp or tunnel. I deserved the pallet since i swung through. I dont think its fair for a survivor to get called "toxic" for exploiting my mess up because its not "toxic" for a killer to do that and if a suv is being "toxic" its likely that you need to play someone/something else.

• ThisLadyRightHere
    ThisLadyRightHere Member Posts: 195
    edited December 2019

I don’t tunnel unless you’re an grade A-Hole to me teabag me and blinding me at every pallet you come in contact to think you’re are god at the game

I don’t care if I win or lose, I’m a fun killer, I play for fun not to be a tryhard sweat bag. I don’t like tunnel, but “it’s a strategy to tip the game in your favor”. tunneling an innocent survivors because you care to much about hopefully winning or gain a kill while in the process of Ruining the other players time. Is not okay with me.

As Rank 1 survivor I like match that last long than 4 mins. I play for fun not be a tryhard.

Just as kiIler queues it’s a 5-10min wait for a match and I hate waiting for a match only to get a killer that’s just gonna tunneled/camped

As killer WAS a purple rank 5-7 and all the time I always got full team of Red Ranks sweating their butts off to escape. I don’t use Hex: Ruin or NOED often because I don’t like it on both sides. It’s a waste of a perk slot and creativity for builds. This irritated me as they are not willing to play a longer games. Regardless if they died or lived.

So I dedicate myself to DeRanking back to Rank 13 with (Insidious, NOED, Bloodwarden, and Rancor with shroud of separation) I just sat at the exit gate and sure enough 5 gens done within 2-4mins. Literally went to get a slice of pizza once for 3 mins all the generator were done NOED activates down a survivor open exit gate hook survivor and the rest went downhill.

By the time I hit Rank 10-11 I noticed a big difference in survivors. Instead of “Gen Rushing” to just get out they spend time actually looking for and we actually had fun game not 4king or just farming we literally had fun. I’ve started going against head on builds, sabo build with no mithers, kobe builds with luck offering, treasure chests builds with coins. It’s really nice to see as killer and not having people with the same perks (DS adrenaline dead hard and BT.)

I play Ghostface I love the Rank I’m currently and enjoy I love toying with my survivors whether I’m crouch walking behind them or I’m teabag them away from the hook or mori spamming them for a bit (not the whole game because that just unfun) and they enjoy it too. Thats all that matter to me. Enjoyment is my priority for everyone.

• MissBehavingX
    MissBehavingX Member Posts: 493

I dont understand when people get mad about "gen rushing"

To me it's the killer's fault, even if I'm the one being "gen rushed" I honestly think it means I'm doing a terrible job at catching the surivors. I'm the one being slow and giving them time to finish the gens, and like someone said, doing gens is basically the only job survivors have. Saying survivors are gen rushing is just an excuse of doing a bad job at killing them, if you killed/hooked one person the gen repair slows down, if you kill 2 it slows down more and so on..

• underlord99

I dont understand why survivors get mad at tunneling, like just dont get caught xD