The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Did buffing killers/nerfing survivors result in more SWF creating the killer shortage at red ranks

With the exception of blunders like mettle of man and ez anytime flashlight/pallet saves it seems like red rank survivor ques are at an all time high.

Seems weird since the improvements for killers over the last 2 years have been massive. I couldn't imagine playing killer now with things like

Pallet vacuum, Double pallet spawns, Instant full gen BnPs, Insta blind 180' flashlights, 4 man insta escape DS, BT that effected unhooker as well, Little things like slow picking up survivors, slow pallet break, slow hooking etc etc etc

I think all these changes have made more players play swf turning more killers off of survivor which I'd assume was the opposite intended effect

Anyways just figured I'd share my thoughts while waiting in que

Comments

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

I would really hope for this not to be the case honestly. I don't see how swf is so intimidating to people that they would just stop playing killer. I'm playing at red ranks and enjoying the game.

I do still believe that DBD was never meant to be a competitive game. And it still isn't that much. The problem is that online games nowadays seemingly need to be at least somewhat competitive in order to not die, because gaming has become really big and there are so many people that just take games way too seriously. It's either win or go crazy for some people. That's just my view on this though.

I do think the next step BHVR needs to take is to buff solo survivors in numerous ways so they get most of the inormation swf survivors have, and then buff killers in different aspects, those aspects that have been made weaker due to survivors having more information, and buffing the killers who struggle with swf survivors at the moment.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

There has always been a large number of SWF at high ranks and I don't see that being the reason behind a lack of killers.

IMO, Ruin's long term effect is becoming more apparent with survivor's more actively going for Great Skill Checks instead of just hitting a skill check. Decreasing the survivor objective time even more. Quick matches aren't fun for either side and being forced into using Ruin puts off a lot of killers.

• LetsPlayTogether
    LetsPlayTogether Member Posts: 2,117

Killers are still scared of SWF even though the majority of them doesnt tryhard like those redrank killers with their ebonys and OP Addons. They wouldnt even understand that they would get done in by solo players ######### just better skilled. Also killers are highly sulky to any kind of change which doesnt benefit them. Survivor are just adapt to changes, while killer quit. Looks like mental problems on killer sides.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,235

Swf has advantanges compared to solo, especially with comms. That will never change. Anything a solo team can do, a swf will do it better.

That fact has nothing to do with with any actual ingame killer-survivor interactions.

• prismalorg
    prismalorg Member Posts: 55

From my experience playing this game (Im just rank 7 (and a Bill main ;]), Ive come to the conclusion that its down to RNG how good the survivor or killer is in the match. What realm you get, what map you get, what variations of the map (pallet, building, hill and etc. spawns). If the killer is smart enough, he can counter what the survivors are doing. If the survivors are smart enough, they can counter what the killer is doing. The game requires a lot of forethought, and the killer is given more forethought than the survivors, being able to see items, characters, and (before 3.4) ranks and levels. Both the killer and survivors are meant to adapt to the others play style to kill or survive. Both sides have big downsides and big upsides. However, I have never reached red ranks but I still also experience long queues even at 7.

• ElementDoom
    ElementDoom Member Posts: 166

Personally I've quit playing killer because half the games maps actively hinder half the games killers. Seems any time I try to play Huntress, Nurse, Spirit, Hag I end up on Hawkins, Ormond, Yamaoka's, Theatre.

Getting any one of those maps as a non m1 killers is practically a loss in my experience. Also doesn't help that the game sounds like it's underwater.

• SafetyOff
    SafetyOff Member Posts: 68

Yeah people have to finish gens asap before killer starts slugging and tunneling survivors. And then no one can get to the loops, etc.

• EleaticStranger
    EleaticStranger Member Posts: 81

One consistent thing I've noticed in forums is how different the experience of red ranks and lesser players tends to be on the same issues. I was playing SWF last night - we have been playing about a month now - and we were getting absolutely destroyed match after match.

Maybe balancing issues are so difficult or impossible for the devs to manage because there's no data set that's consistent enough across all ranks of the player base. I don't know. I do know that, on occasions when I'm playing with 2 other friends who suck as bad as I do but we're joined by a red rank survivor and killer, the advantage swings back to us. IE one good survivor is often enough to put the killer on his heels even if that survivor has to carry the rest of the team.

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,553

I am in red ranks and we get destroyed more times than not. We have a finally turned green rank, a couple of purples, and a few reds. None of us are epic loopers. Some are terrible. We have a guy that misses skill checks all the time. I think only one guy runs DS, though more us are running BT. The devs nerfed SWF groups by having it go by the highest rank survivor instead of the average and killers still dodge SWF when I'd wager most groups are similar with ranks all over the place.

And I play all killers in red ranks too. Win some and lose some, but it's not super hard for killer unless you're sweating hard for that 4k. I just want bp, 4 stacks of bbq, and a fun game. Pips are nice too, but not really necessary.

• BeanieBoyBob
    BeanieBoyBob Member Posts: 354

So you are going to use the best Trapper player in the game as an example? Great reasoning there.

Seriously though are you playing Killer against Red Ranks yourself? If so, can you record the results of all of your past 16 games so we can see how well you do as Killer in 2019?

• RakimSockem
    RakimSockem Member Posts: 1,982

I'm sorry but you must be wearing blinders if you think killer have not been buffed to hell over the past year or so while survivors have been nerfed to hell at the same time (everything from pallets to healing) .

• darkknight287
    darkknight287 Member Posts: 42

Killers still are underpowered and it's boring to play killer at red rank because all you play there are sweats. Survivors just need to do gens and that makes it so the survivors can escape easily. Theres a reason why killers camp and tunnel, it's so hard to get more than 1 kill at red ranks

• Kabu
    Kabu Member Posts: 926
    edited December 2019

Otz plays this game for a living. People like that should not be who is used to argue things are in a good spot. Do you play the game for a living. Does the OP? Probably not.

If the cues are had for survivor it means there aren't enough killers. So OP is obviously not in the minority if there are less killers.

Post edited by Kabu on
  • Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

Well I don't see how the game is not balanced if otz can succeed greatly as killer. It's probably that killer only appeals to people of a special type (maybe just a little sadistic) and people of other types just can't handle the pressure of having to be constantly brutally smacking and hooking survivors. Either that or people like playing with their friends (Why would anyone do that?).

• Kabu

Dude, what did you not get that Otz plays the game for a living? He is NOT the average player. Not even close.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

The average player shouldn't be rank 1 (Don't tell that to survivors though lmao)

• SteelDragon
    SteelDragon Member Posts: 745

that's a streamer, you know they get stream snipers that want their time of fame, so they don't play like usual. now if he did it while his stream was OFF and recorded gameplay of multiple games under the same thing then I believe we would see a different picture

• PandaChris
    PandaChris Member Posts: 140

Its simple. Most people dont want to play the same killers over and over at red ranks. Most killers dont want to deal with a higher percentage of stressful games at red ranks.

Survivors can defend not having any adjustments to SWF. Survivors can ask for nerfs to the higher tier killers because they are unfun to play against. But then they got to realize as its being shown at red ranks, the majority of killers are finding it unfun to play as killer or less fun to play as killer. So, Survivors will have to put up with longer queue times because of the nerfs, the unviable low tier killers and the SWF stress. Just how it is.

• ZtarShot
    ZtarShot Member Posts: 838

You're some of the survivor mains that gives bad names to all of us. Shame on you, killer is very difficult.

• Khar
    Khar Member Posts: 640

You're listing off all the bad things in the past that were changed, but omitting all the bad things that are still currently in the game. It makes you come off as disingenuous to the topic.

• It just makes lower ranked killers play against red rank SWF groups is all it does atm lol.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,320

The killers weren't able to see ranks and lvls, that was info shared amongst your teammates.

• WhoDatNinja
    WhoDatNinja Member Posts: 25

Glad to see other players do it too. I play both im rank 2 in survivor and rank 4 in killer and if i can get 2 to 3 kills as killer on average with no perks or add ons then i think we have more baby killers than anything in high ranks. I honestly think survivors need more buffs considering how easy killer is and have always been.

• Kabu

Bait? This must be bait....

"How easy killer has always been and survivors need buffs." Just.... No. You're not helping at all.

• dont_ask_me_again
    dont_ask_me_again Member Posts: 490
    edited December 2019

It’s because SWF gets matched with the highest player... the devs should do what siege does lately where the MMR needs to be a certain distance apart.

i.e. Reds can only swf with reds/purples, purples can only swf with reds/purples/greens... etc.

• FearedbytheGods
    FearedbytheGods Member Posts: 476

What I see is that killer is in such a ridiculous OP state that there's no point to soloq. SWF places pressure on lobbies trying to sync up a 4man game placing pressure on game find times.

When you see games at lower tiers its an absolute trainwreck where new soloq players are getting completely decimated making ~5kBP per game.

It's been years and years of survivor nerfs but we get a round of killer nerfs to try and get this game back to 50% kills and the killer community goes bananas.

Before PC went to dedicated servers Id see 2/3:1 survivor:killer ratio.

The issue isn't that we don't have enough killers.

• Mellow7
    Mellow7 Member Posts: 793

Pallet vaccums still exist, not to the extent that they used to teleport you in front of the pallet but instead now delaying a pallet drop can vaccum you back into the pallet giving the killer the illusion that you made an unsafe play and ran past the pallet, which in some instances this can be sorta BS because I've seen players delay this to the max range.

• FearedbytheGods
    FearedbytheGods Member Posts: 476

Compared to release? Killer absolutely is easier in 2019.

• FabV
    FabV Member Posts: 173

Before, you just had to 4k to double pip. Now it's much harder to gain ranks as killer.

I play 50/50, prefer killer, consider myself better killer than survivor, still my survivor rank is higher !

• Talmeer
    Talmeer Member Posts: 1,520

The short answer on the question of the thread is:

Because there is nothing to gain, besides headaches.

Headaches, because of a rising toxicity, because of dominating 4xswfs and well performing coordinated survivor groups.

Headaches that you maybe play a killer who can't handle the red ranks like the famous 3, or maybe famous 2 since the last nurse patch. Don't have read the nurse changes yet, but when I see the forum threads in this forum... They seem to pretty unhappy.

Some might say "then play Hillbilly!!!" and while then another killer would make the game more boring, because more of the same killer (yay...) in the same ranks, it would not make me happy.

Why should someone play with a character he dislikes, in a toxic enviroment, where he has a high chance to lose a match because of highly organized survivor groups, under the stress of doing your objective fast as possible, for nothing to gain?

Well besides headaches... of course.

• TunnelVision
    TunnelVision Member Posts: 1,375

Just delete killers in general. Problem solved.

• Thanatos_x
    Thanatos_x Member Posts: 201

I think the real question is are you still waiting in que?

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

Of course there is a killer shortage, especially at red ranks. Killers have instant lobbies, survivors have to wait, doesn't matter if you are red or green. If there was no shortage, queue times would be different.

And red rank survivors are facing green and purple killers all the time.

• Sylorknag
    Sylorknag Member Posts: 760

Holy #########, and the game still pretty survivor sided.

Guess it was pretty fked up back then, uh.

• Kaelum
    Kaelum Member Posts: 994

Nice way to change the context. We were talking about recent changes, and recent queue times. I don’t think that anyone would consider 1 year as being, recent. However, over YOUR 1 year, there have been just as many survivor buffs, so your point is moot.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

Are you trolling? When killers get instant lobbies and survivors have to wait, that does mean that there are only few killers and lots of survivors.