Survivor question

Options

What's the signal for being camped? I thought it was raising your arms when camped, but I've seen lots of people raising their arms when not being camped, so I'm wondering if I had it backwards

Best Answer

Answers

• X_Scott
    X_Scott Member Posts: 137
    Options

Kinda. I'm just going to keep assuming it's spam arms then. Thanks

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,412
    Options

Flailing your arms, although it doesn't mean as much as it used to. So many people don't know what it means that I wouldn't suggest relying on it.

• ASpazNamedSteve
    ASpazNamedSteve Member Posts: 1,784
    Options

Run Kindred and never worry about it again.

• DeKillerKiller
    DeKillerKiller Member Posts: 547
    Options

You're right, because I flail my arms when the killer is NOT camping or is away from the hook.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

See, people used to use flailing arms to mean "the killer is camping me, don't bother", but now most tend to use it to mean "please come and get me as fast as possible". I'm not sure where the shift came in, and maybe it varies by rank and region which makes it even more confusing.

The most reliable way to tell one way or the other is honestly just to run Kindred at this point.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    Options

It's because flailing to signal urgency is more intuitive, since you are spamming the ATTEMPT TO ESCAPE button.

it's less useful of a signal tho. I suggest clarifying in the pregame chat

• asergioam
    asergioam Member Posts: 363
    edited December 2019
    Options

Many players don't read forums nor participate groups. They just play and search what they want on youtube. It's just how it is!

Now, think about it, if you're waiting for a chopper to rescue you, what you do? You have your arms. If you want someone's attention you can also wave your arms... it's just normal human behaviour.

I don't know who "stated first" that you shoulkd wave your arms when you're being camped but it doesn't make much sense so most people who are not or were not familiar with that standardization will go to the logic that is more familiar to them (me included). If the hooked person is waving is arms, he is calling for someone to save him (calling for other survivors attention). If someone is already comming, he stopps waving so that other survivors know he doesn't need help anymore. If the killer is standing there camping, he just keeps quiet!

It's not that there might not be a logical explanation for someone to come up with the idea that if a killer is camping, you should wave your arms... it's only a matter of common sense because people are used to the signal of waving arms to call for someone's attention, so it's perfectly normal that uninformed players will wave the arms to ask for a rescue! I do it because it's what makes more sense to me and since most people is uninformed, is what makes more sense to them. I started playing this game about 3 months ago and only read someone saying that you should wave your arms when being camped about a couple of weeks ago, and on that discussion (don't think it was here in the forum) someone said it was probably a killer baiting because it was an ilogical thing to do!

It's just how it is... people's first instinct is to considering waving as a call for help!

• AvisDeene
    AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396
    Options

Before a match starts I just tell people if you’re hooked and being camped, wave your arms. Unfortunately, people rather ignore it and save me while the killer is look at the hook.

• Fibijean
    Options

Fair point, that's most likely how the change came about. It seems like a lot of people are still using it to mean the opposite, though, so you're right, the best way is probably to clarify with your teammates in advance.

• DwightOP
    DwightOP Member Posts: 2,328
    Options

So, why not showing the aura of the camping killer St this point? Camping is so strong against solos, unless someone brings kindred. And even after the kindred buff, I hardly see it used.

• Accullla
    Accullla Member Posts: 984
    Options

I've always flailed my hands when I don't want to get rescued. When it's safe or I want to signal my teammate to farm me even if it's unsafe I'll hold the hook to 99%.

Considering how often I die on first hook, these are not reliable signals anymore 😂

• Fibijean
    Options

No, it doesn't do anything like that. It's just a signal people use for their teammates, or occasionally just something they do because they're hooked and they're bored and they have nothing better to do.

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776
    Options

Kindred doesn't trump Undetectable anymore, meaning that stealth killers and to a lesser extent Insidious defeat it. It's more useful as a coordination tool to know who should go for the save. Its anti-camping potential is gone though.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,502
    Options

When I initially started playing, flapping arms wildly on the hook was the way to signal that the killer was camping, and slower movements (where you nearly complete the whole bar) was meaningless...I do this to avoid being bored for example, over time though those actions have pretty much been interpreted differently and now they mean less than before.

For me now in game, I tend to rely on what I can see and what I hear to make my decision of whether or not the killer is camping.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,552
    Options

This is the kind of problems that appear when we use team america signals...

Just run kindred. It's currently the best "see aura" perk for survivors