The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Yamaoka Blood: How Yui is connected to the Oni (Speculation)

EmpathyModule
EmpathyModule Member Posts: 54

(This post is adapted from a post I made on r/LeaksByDaylight)

When chapter 14 was teased, most people expected either Rin's father, Rin's mother, or Rin herself. All in all, people mostly expected a member of the Yamaoka bloodline. However, instead, we got a seemingly unrelated character. I was personally disappointed, and probably others were too, until I started thinking of a possible connection. Why would Yui meet the Oni immedietely after entering the Fog in the cinematic? (If we're assuming it's canon, which I am, since the scene of her riding the bike into the Fog is in her lore)

In one of the first teasers we got for chapter 14, a voice that presumably belongs to the Oni says "Your blood belongs to Yamaoka" in Japanese. For me, this was fuel for the hypothesis that the new survivor was going to be Rin's father or someone similar. Of course, the line could just be referencing the Oni's ability to absorb the blood of survivors, but it's a weird way to phrase it. Why would their blood belong to the Yamaoka family? This line makes more sense if it's directed at a relative of the Yamaokas... such as Yui. What if Kimura Yui was actually a bastard child that Rin's father had with another woman whom he abandoned before settling with Rin's mother? This would cause the Oni to hold a grudge with her. A bastard child would ruin the honor of the Yamaoka family, something the Oni was very strict about upholding. The Oni, in the Entity's realm and possessing blood power, could sense Yui's presence in the world and be filled with rage. Oni's are spiritual demons, and Kazan was taken much in the same way as the Spirit who has a ton of power in the spirit realm (which the Entity inhabits). Perhaps the Oni lent its power to the Entity in order to tear open to catch Yui. THe Entity should only be able to take survivors from places of great tragedy, so this would explain that plothole. The Entity would oblige to strengthen the Oni's rage, and because Yui is a fighter, a 'good survivor', and the Oni would get to 'cleanse' his family's blood, making this a win-win for all involved.

Of course, this is all baseless speculation. But I like to believe this is true as I feel it ties up a few loose ends presented by this DLC's lore.

Comments

• Bigbootiejudy666
    Bigbootiejudy666 Member Posts: 407

well The Oni is part of blood line of the Yamaokas, he was the son of first Yamaoka

• EmpathyModule

I don't understand what you're telling me... The Oni being a Yamaoka is not only extremely basic knowledge, but it's the basis of this entire headcanon

• VolantConch1719
    VolantConch1719 Member Posts: 1,211

Wasn't the first time we saw Kate when she was being stalked by the Clown while playing her guitar? Does this mean that Kate is secretly related to Kenneth Chase?

They wanted a character who could fit in with the chapter.

Look at the last few chapters.

Darkness Among Us gave us a direct link between Legion and Jeff, and their themes match up. Jeff is the big, strong, scary guy, but he's just a sweet teddy bear. The Legion are the last people you would expect as horrible monsters, but here they are.

Demise of the Faithful's connection isn't as strong, but both Adiris and Jane strongly believed in what they were doing, until it was too late to stop themselves.

Going as far back as Shattered Bloodline, where Rin was introduced, both Adam and Rin had ties to Japan. Where Rin's family line was shattered by her father, Adam lost his father at a young age, and we never hear about his mother. Bloodline shattered.

Now, Cursed Legacy. Kazan was the start of the curse that affected the Yamaoka's, leading to a cursed legacy. How about Yui? She had a strong following, and left a lasting legacy behind her when she vanished. But how did she get there? Disowned by her father, pick on by the boys of Hida, unable to find a real job in Nagoya, forcing her to spend the last of her grandmother's money in a last ditch effort to follow her dreams, attacked by a stalker, severely injured by said stalker. Sounds like that legacy was pretty cursed to me.

Also, how exactly would Kazan even know about Yui when they are several centuries apart? Last I checked, the Killers have no access to the outside world once they are taken.

• EmpathyModule

As I said, it's basically baseless speculation. I only came up with the idea to explain the Oni's line in the trailer and why he specifically approaches her the moment she enters the Fog, as well as why the Entity could open a hole to its realm at a specific place and why it'd want to capture Yui specifically. I'm well aware that the survivors are hardly literally related to any killer or other survivor, but I felt this headcanon ties up a few minor loose ends. It's not impossible, you just have to make certain assumptions, and I like to think it's true because it ties the lore together just a little more

• MerGirl2003
    MerGirl2003 Member Posts: 110

As far-fetched as it sounds, I actually really like this idea. I wish more original survivors had actual connections with their killers.

• End_of_Slayer
    End_of_Slayer Member Posts: 146

Depending on the killer, they have specific, tiny details about the connection. Nea and Nurse, Nurse was a nurse at Crotus, and Nea was dared to tag the asylum. As someone stated above, Adam and Spirit where in Japan, and they also (potentially) both died. Jeff and Legion physically met each other. Adiris and Jane were devoted to their cause, and both (potentially) died. These appear to be the only ones though. I could be wrong, but we’ll have to wait for more details through the Archives once we get that