The Clown's Throwing Arc is super unintuitive.

MimimiLalala
MimimiLalala Member Posts: 37
edited May 2018 in General Discussions

When directly aiming at a survivors head, the bottle goes WAY ahead of them. When aiming at their feet, it just goes above their heads. I put a little crosshair in the middle of my screen to see where you have to look to actually hit a survivor. Result: In order to hit a survivor that is ~2-4meters in front of you, you almost have to look at the floor,
Survivors that are about 10ish meters away, you gotta aim at below their feet, to hit their head.

Considering that his ultra rare add-on requires you to hit the survivor DIRECTLY to apply the exposed effect, I feel like it might be necessary to make the aiming more intuitive. The arc that the bottle makes when throwing seems to be a bit too extravagant. Just my first impression.

Share your thoughts.

Post edited by MimimiLalala on

Comments

• Spiritbx
    Spiritbx Member Posts: 264

This would be fixed with a throwing arch. Maybe a limited one that only reaches a few meters, to help you out.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,523

His throwing arc is more like a lobbing arc so you can throw it over things and also hit something higher up. It's handy for throwing it over half-height obstacles since a regular throwing arc would likely just land on top of them. Plus, the higher up the bottle breaks, the more the gas will spread, so lobbing it high up (say, at a tree) will spread gas across a wide area.
    The ultra rare is more of a gimmicky way to use it. If you can nail those three pointers like LeBron, you're set.

• Runiver
    Runiver Member Posts: 2,095

I agree. This is rather counter-intuitive overall, as the arch goes way higher than expected.
    Even after a few games, it's still pretty counter-intuitive to stare at the ground to throw grenades over small objects.

• Unnamed_1
    Unnamed_1 Member Posts: 18

The problem I had was that I expected him to throw the bottle straight and they went way over the target. Once you got the feeling for the arc and realise this is no huntress then these bottles landed more near where I wanted them. Not intuitive indeed. Will take a whole amount of practice to land those kobes.

• MinusTheBillie
    MinusTheBillie Member Posts: 349

I haven't even played it, but every video has the killer throwing the bottles like a Nerf football.

• MinusTheBillie
    MinusTheBillie Member Posts: 349

@MinusTheBillie said:
    I haven't even played it, but every video has the killer throwing the bottles like a Nerf football.

Maybe not. Watched a few more and everyone seems to be charging their throw like a hatchet. Looks like you can tap it for short range. Can't wait to try!

• DarXide
    DarXide Member Posts: 81
    edited May 2018
    I got the hang of throwing the bottles with the insane arc after a few matches. This is definitely a Killer you're going to want to stick to for a fair bit so you don't get rusty with throwing arc.I was finding myself getting headshots with the bottles quite often. You don't necessarily have to aim down to hit them at about 2-4M. Just tap at the button and it should throw it at just that range. 

Also, you get a screaming notification if you hit them directly on like the Doctor or when you step in a bear trap. 
  • MimimiLalala
    edited May 2018

Maybe an add-on similar to the one the doctor has, that gives you a hint of where the bottle is approximately going to be thrown at. Like a preview sorta, someone suggested that. I like this idea.

• Janick
    Janick Dev Posts: 170
    edited May 2018

If you are constantly looking down it might be because you are trying to play him like the Huntress.

The arc is made to make it easier to throw over walls, objects, and through windows (inside buildings).

Aiming directly at a survivor is hard indeed which was the desired effect. Try to aim at specific locations or pathways instead, you will have a much easier time. Aiming higher also make the smoke spread more.

hope that help, thanks!

Post edited by Janick on
  • Dragonredking
    Dragonredking Member Posts: 874

@MimimiLalala said:
    When directly aiming at a survivors head, the bottle goes WAY ahead of them. When aiming at their feet, it just goes above their heads. I put a little crosshair in the middle of my screen to see where you have to look to actually hit a survivor. Result: In order to hit a survivor that is ~2-4meters in front of you, you almost have to look at the floor,
    Survivors that are about 10ish meters away, you gotta aim at below their feet, to hit their head.

Considering that his ultra rare add-on requires you to hit the survivor DIRECTLY to apply the exposed effect, I feel like it might be necessary to make the aiming more intuitive. The arc that the bottle makes when throwing seems to be a bit too extravagant. Just my first impression.

Share your thoughts.

Pratice him a bit more, with time you'll get more precise.

• Zavri
    Zavri Member Posts: 261

@Janick said:
    If you are constantly looking down it might be because you are trying to play him like the Huntress.

The arc is made to make it easier to throw over walls, objects, and through windows (inside buildings).

Aiming directly at a survivor is hard indeed which was the desired effect. Try to aim at specific locations or pathways instead, you will have a much easier time. Aiming higher also make the smoke spread more.

hope that help, thanks!

if aiming directly at a survivor is almost impossible, why make an ultra rare addon that REQUIRES IT if you want to use that addon?

If it's so hard and rare, why not just bake it into his kit alltogether and figure out another ultra rare for him?

It's bad enough that the exposed effect only lasts until the slow is gone ( 2 seconds or so ).

• MimimiLalala

@Zavri said:
    if aiming directly at a survivor is almost impossible, why make an ultra rare addon that REQUIRES IT if you want to use that addon?

If it's so hard and rare, why not just bake it into his kit alltogether and figure out another ultra rare for him?

It's bad enough that the exposed effect only lasts until the slow is gone ( 2 seconds or so ).

So much agree. On all killers, the ultra rare addon makes everything EASIER for the killer, not harder. The addon- even after practicing, still feels completely missplaced. The bottles are NOT MEANT to be thrown directly at the survivors. That s what the developer commented, then why on earth should his "easy mode"-addon require you to do something that is not part of his overall mechanics?

If he is supposed to throw the bottles around the survivors, then how about making his ultra-rare work exactly for this purpose?
    Maybe apply the exposed effect for 4seconds on them when the survivor runs into the toxin 2x within 20seconds?
    Something like this would be more sensible.

@Janick

Are ultra rare add-ons in the future going to require a lot of skill from the killer-side to be anyhow useful to him?

• Deverer
    Deverer Member Posts: 24

What I would really like is some kind of training addon like Doctor's Maple Knight or Nurse's Plaid Flannel where it shows the destination/zone.

Like it could help so much for those learning. If nothing else maybe if the tutorial is expanded you can have these things for the killers in the stress free environment.

• Runiver
    Runiver Member Posts: 2,095

After some more extensive rounds of Clown, I gotta say :
    Aiming at the survivor is pointless, 90% of the time. You're better using it to condemn areas rather than trying to aim for the survivor.
    So the arc isn't that important, with that in mind.

One of the utility to throw it directly to a survivor's face is for his one shot add-on, and it's mostly performed by throwing it in his face at melee range, aiming at the ground, and then hitting. It can be performed in some other ways, ofc, but you'll possibly risk to waste a lot of bottles.

• DarXide
    DarXide Member Posts: 81

@Zavri said:

@Janick said:

hope that help, thanks!

I second this. His Ultra Rare add-on needs to be looked at. This Killer doesn't exactly have an easy to aim projectile and even if you do hit them with the bottle, the Exposed effect lasts next to nothing. It's a high risk reward with very little pay off because it doesn't last long enough to even down them.

• Zavri
    Zavri Member Posts: 261

Sure if we had a reticle.

• Janick
    Janick Dev Posts: 170

We are currently discussing removing the duration penalty of the Redhead's Pinky Finger.

Aiming at a close range survivor is pretty easy though, BUT it doesn't happen often. So this addon is to make the close range throw very deadly. At a long distance, you don't even have the time to reach the Survivor anyway.

We now try to create UR add-ons that add something a bit different in the killer gameplay, ask the killer to adapt to a new strategy or explore a different gameplay style and not only give a sure edge. If you look at more recent Killers, we did not make another Iridescent Head style addon.

hope that clarifies the concept behind this addons. keep giving us feedback and suggestions on the addons! We are more add-ons tweaks and balancing coming in for older Killers.

Thanks!

• RSB
    RSB Member Posts: 2,258

@Janick said:
    We are currently discussing removing the duration penalty of the Redhead's Pinky Finger.

Aiming at a close range survivor is pretty easy though, BUT it doesn't happen often. So this addon is to make the close range throw very deadly. At a long distance, you don't even have the time to reach the Survivor anyway.

We now try to create UR add-ons that add something a bit different in the killer gameplay, ask the killer to adapt to a new strategy or explore a different gameplay style and not only give a sure edge. If you look at more recent Killers, we did not make another Iridescent Head style addon.

hope that clarifies the concept behind this addons. keep giving us feedback and suggestions on the addons! We are more add-ons tweaks and balancing coming in for older Killers.

Thanks!

Maybe do not make killer that is viable only when using add-ons? Wonder why survivors can be played without add-ons, but when you want to play killer, you are forced to use add-ons to make some kills (the exceptions are Nurse and Huntress).

You made a weak killer, who is viable only when using add-ons, like the previous ones.

Killers should be playable without add-ons, which should be a nice addition to their gameplay, not a key to it.

• Spiritbx
    Spiritbx Member Posts: 264
    How about a common addon that gives you a visible arc to help you learn how to throw it.
  • Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited June 2018
    Like someone else has said, too many killers are addon dependent to be even close to viable. They should be viable at base and the addon  just adds some extra strength. If this means toning down some addons to add them into the killers base kit so be it.