Cross platform

Is cross platform ever gonna be a thing?

I have a few friends that play on console and I'm on pc. Its really a bummer that we can't play together. :/

Comments

• deadbyhitbox
    deadbyhitbox Member Posts: 1,117
    edited December 2019

Once the console disadvantages are addressed, hopefully.

• Kanes_Inferno
    Kanes_Inferno Member Posts: 27

I think if it happens it’ll likely be console players vs other console players (Xbox, PS4, and Switch playing together). I doubt they do PC vs Consoles. However they do it I would be happy, though. Shorter lobby times and higher pool of players to keep ranks closer. I really hope that once dedicated servers hit PS4 and Xbox that crossplay becomes a thing.

• SambaSaw
    SambaSaw Member Posts: 137

What are their disadvantages? If you mean controller can't they just plug in keyboard and mouse?

• deadbyhitbox

The game can't even reach up to 30FPS on console consistently. It hovers more so around 20-25. Also, there is a massive sensitivity disparity on console. Right now, these issues would put console players at an insane disadvantage verse PC players.

• kate_main
    kate_main Member Posts: 178

Dont wanna insult anyone but devs cant even do matchmaking and framerate right...

I mean, BASIC stuff...

We can only dream about Crossplatform.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

And no, we can't just plug in a keyboard and mouse.

The game needs to accept it

• ThisGuuy83
    ThisGuuy83 Member Posts: 1,303

I love how people's argument for not doing it is PC would crush us, yet US CONSOLE players are mostly the ones who want it. And how do you know we would have a disadvantage on something that hasn't even been tried and tested? We have bad frame rate on console, yet some players can still dominate. Your telling me we couldn't keep up? I call horse 💩💩💩! To make an assumption without having zero evidence to back it up is stupid. We at least deserve the chance, or we can just keep waiting in que hell forever to get a match when it's not peak time...

• SpacingLlamas
    SpacingLlamas Member Posts: 602

There's some truth to that but in a way there already are testing crossplay with the steam and Windows store versions.

Though it's not the same thing as console to console or console to pc, its still is testing it in a way

• ThisGuuy83

So, where's your proof? Please show me. I'm dying to see it...

• SambaSaw
    SambaSaw Member Posts: 137
    edited December 2019

Hell yeah I totally agree with this guy.

Edit: Pun not intended xd

• Tr0g
    Tr0g Member Posts: 241

Proof of what? It's a well known fact that FPS games play much better with a mouse. Look at PC killer videos on youtube.. you're not gonna do those 0.1 second 180 degree turns on a controller, not even at 100% sensitivity. With a mouse you can do that.. and be accurate too.

• Tr0g

Never been tried and tested? DBD on console actually bans the use of mouse/keyboard for its competetive advantage. Yes, the advantage is that big. Not a single FPS game offers cross-platform play between console and PC because a mouse absolutely destroys a controller. It's no comparison.

PC gaming is the Olympics, us console players.. we're the Paralympics.

You're never gonna get cross-platform play with PC and that's a very very good thing. I wouldn't mind cross-platform play with other consoles but from a technical and legal point of view that's actually a lot more complicated than you think. Do we want the devs working on bugs, game balance and content or do we want them to work on cross-platform console play for a full year?

• Tr0g
    edited December 2019

DBD does not permit the use of keyboard/mouse because it offers too big of an advantage. It's possible to get around this with hardware adapters to trick your console into thinking you're using a controller when you're not but that's a rare sight.

Also, mouse/keyboards for consoles are quite expensive and most console owners don't own them. They would be at a serious disadvantage and probably quit the game because of it.

I'm flabbergasted at the "support" for cross-platform play between console and PC in this thread. Seriously makes me wonder if you've ever player a PC game before. The amount of speed, accuracy and general control a high-DPI mouse gives would derstroy anything a controller has to offer. Even at 100% sensitivity (which becomes extremely inaccurate due to pixel skipping) you're a snail compared to a mouse user.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,229
    edited December 2019

It needs to be, they need more players in queue so they can stretch the matchmaking brackets and change how ranking works entirely. Right now most matches are unfair and one sided.

Even if matches were 50% perfectly balanced it would still be broken and unfair because it would still be landslide matches on both sides half the time.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

It's well known that first person view is disadvantaged. While some console users are really good they can never keep up with a mouse and keyboard without aim assistance. Its just how it is.

Survivors being third person is much less of an issue with the only real downside being the sensitivity as controller versus mouse just doesn't have the same ease of turning the camera.

• BrendanLeeT
    BrendanLeeT Member Posts: 272

Honestly if they made it so you have an option to toggle cross platform on/off then I'd be 100% down for it even if console does have a slight disadvantage. I might found selfish for saying it but sometimes before work I just want a quick few games without a care about the outcome.

If people had the option to play versus PC or console then no one can really complain because they have opted in for it themselves and if they don't like it then they can simply turn it off.

• ExcelSword
    ExcelSword Member Posts: 512

This game is not like other FPS games. The advantage over the killer I get for using a mouse and keyboard is minimised by the fact that this is an asymmetrical game.

My skill as a survivor vs the skill of the killer is not a 1:1 ratio like other shooters. In regular FPS games, I agree 100% that M&K is superior. But the difference between a survivor using a controller or a M&K is miniscule. Why should I care if the killer has a M&K while I play survivor with a controller?

I've played with both and while sure I can't 360 or moonwalk as effortlessly with a controller, so what? Those are just flashy tricks to show off, good killers can deal with them.

People say that console survivors would get destroyed by PC killers, that's simple because they don't have to play as hard. If crossplay came, sure they would have a rude awakening that they can't get away with as much because of low framerate killers, that doesn't mean they won't adapt.

• TheMonadoBoi
    TheMonadoBoi Member Posts: 346

Uhh, ever heard of Modern Warfare?

It could definitely be done and for such an ambitious roadmap it needs to be done eventually. I don't know exactly how but balancing the game so that killers stand a chance against decent survs would be an amazing first step.

Plus you say FPS games would never work yet this isn't even CLOSE to an FPS, hell killers hit in CONES you only have to aim with huntress and she's already as difficult as she'll ever be on console.

• ThisGuuy83

So I guess console just doesn't have the power to run dbd's awesome graphics? And yeah, there's no WAY they could add sensitivity adjustments, and add the ability to use a mouse and keyboard, that's just CRAZY! And no console gamer could keep up with a person on PC. I guess all those people I play and crush in rocket league don't count, right? I know it's a different game, so calm down and put your claws away. But, it operates perfectly fine at a very high frame rate, and I'm sure their graphics ain't as great as mighty DBD, but I never have frame drop when I'm zooming around chasing a ball non-stoo. But, I guess your right. It's impossible, right? 🤷‍♂️🤡

• kate_main
    kate_main Member Posts: 178
  • deadbyhitbox
    edited December 2019

Console DBD is a significant step down from PC DBD. Like it or not, you can't compare Rocket League to DBD in any way. They're 2 games with entirely different situations and variables to account for. You don't need physical proof to realize that a massive sensitivity limit and almost 2x less framerate puts you at a HUGE disadvantage.