Waving While Hooked. Whats It Mean?

It needs to be settled. Does it mean that the killer is camping, or does it mean the opposite?

Best Answers

Answers

• NEVELEVEN11
    NEVELEVEN11 Member Posts: 141
  • iBetClaudette
    iBetClaudette Member Posts: 299

So it seems no one really has a straight answer lol. 50/50 save me vs killer is camping

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135

There is no definite answer because some people use it to signal camping, others use it to say "save me."

And then there's people like me who spam attempt escape simply because I'm bored.

Every player is different, and there will never be a universal agreement on this lol

• samination
    samination Member Posts: 312

In the beginning, it meant "I am being camped" because killers didn't know any better and I'm assuming a streamer made this motion famous. Personally, I think if you start a jump off a hook it should do the whole thing instead of allowing you to flail about. It literally means nothing now.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

When the game first came out it was the universal way to say the killer was near the hook so don't save me. This is why I use it.

Some time later when more and more new players came into the game some never knew its use ans posted on steam about a great idea too use it for the killer is away come and save me. We told them that not its purpose but it spread through in game chat.

Then some tried to make it so slow flapping meant camping and doing it fast meant come get me.

Now its lost its meaning over time so use it if you want too but don't expect it to be taken as you wish.

• DBDIT
    DBDIT Member Posts: 172

Tbh in MY experience, it's just something to do while being hooked, lol.

• Russ76
    Russ76 Member Posts: 306

Like others have said it is a sign the killer is camping. I use it that way and that is how I treat it when I see others doing it. Granted that said when I am running solo I try to use kindred to help out.

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793

I actually did a poll about a month ago in the forums and got about a 50/50 split so I’m glad I always run kindred so I know lol

• Waldorf_2R3
    Waldorf_2R3 Member Posts: 20

Honesty it depends on what system and rank, I'm on PS4 purple ranks and it's used to tell others that nobody is moving towards the save. Not doing so tells the survivors doing gens that 1) someone is already coming to get you or 2) the killer is there and not to come. I hope this helps.

• johnmwarner

Not to derail, but this is a good example of SWF having an advantage over solo. Imagine two players thinking it means camping and two thinking it means save me.

• Nicholas
    Nicholas Member Posts: 1,951

What about the fact that no one is coming to get you? I've been in games where people wave to signify that. There are many reasons to wave. I'm not always certain what someone is trying to say. I wish the Survivor icons in the bottom-left told us when someone was crouching, running, in a Chase and on a generator. I'm curious if people would change their play Styles or would we actually see people Crouch the entire match. We definitely need more information in the game. It's one of the reasons I don't really like playing solo.

• GeminiCrow
    GeminiCrow Member Posts: 55

For me, it seems like when the "waving" changes pace or length is when something is different. Like if they wave a lot after being hooked, I assume the Killer is there. But if they tap it in after a few seconds, I take that as a sign that the Killer is gone. Could also be reversed.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

It always meant camping to me. Then I heard people say a small wave where you barely moved your arms was for camping. Like you were shoeing them away. The full arm raise meaning all clear.

• xoBlackBetty
    xoBlackBetty Member Posts: 25

A killer usually face-camps, because you did something that made them REALLY want you out of the game - (unless they're doing a Tome/Daily). I've always "waved my arms" as a way to "flex" on a face-camping killer.

If I'm playing solo & I'm not being camped, I won't "wave"- I will however try to kobe, just before second phase, IF (*shocker*) a rando doesn't come for the save. My arm-waving is rarely for the benefit of other survivors...

• LemeTheMeme
    LemeTheMeme Member Posts: 403

If I'm flailing like crazy, it means the killer is camping.

However, if I'm doing it a few times here and there it means "HURRY UP! I WANNA LIVE".

• inferjus
    inferjus Member Posts: 479

In the past it was a sign "killer is camping". Nowadays it is hard to tell why people wave since little people know what it originally was supposed to mean.

• StrickxNyne
    StrickxNyne Member Posts: 230

I rush to get people off doing it because a majority of time they'll just kill themselves if no one shows or someone's already planning to die on the hook so I'm hoping I rip them off and they get tunneled for trying to kill themselves. Killers take note😥, if you see the entity right after hooking them let's both get our points and beat that quitter down when I rip them off.

• Thasard
    Thasard Member Posts: 268

You can see how that could be confusing...

I think three important thing to note is that if you are the only uninjured Survivor, it is your job to make sure the Survivor on the hooked gets off before the next phase. You may not need to, but you need to be ready to fly off your gen and be the hero.

I've also just started to bring Kindred when I can. I've been left to die too many times.

• Gcarrara
    Gcarrara Member Posts: 2,263

I too use the waving to notify others that the killer is camping. In the latest year ff the killer doesn't camp and still noone start coming after 30 seconds, i do some sligth waves (half second click) with my arms to indicate others to come.

Usually others understand and it gets the job done. 👍️

• johnmwarner

Bond or kindred is a wonderful way to make yourself sad when you realize your teammates spend 90% of the game crouching or hiding in lockers

• 28_stabs
    28_stabs Member Posts: 1,470

It can mean anything. Just allow free Kindred to solo survivors. Well, I think it is not op.

• Nicholas
    Nicholas Member Posts: 1,951

This is true. I just wonder if that information was somehow baked into the UI, would that shame people into not doing it.

• jigsawxx
    jigsawxx Member Posts: 1

I don't know why everyone is assuming that it means the killer is camping...it means "yo get your ass over here because the killer is not here anymore" if I'm constantly waiving my hands it should mean I need help ..but nope they ignore so they can get gen SMH the my bar is almost gone then they come to me

• tortrader
    tortrader Member Posts: 539

Best to leave them in the hook, to be safe for yourself.

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

holding the hook (99ing the unhook) = killer is camping

just tapping hands (about 5-10%) = come save me

That how I go about it.

• Johnble
    Johnble Member Posts: 175

If the killer is face camping me, I just hang there and chill, "finish what y'all are doing, killer isn't looking for you". Once the killer leaves I wave as if to say "killer is gone, be on the lookout, be quick".

To me, waving signifies that one is trying to hop off the hook which would honestly be dumb if the killer is right there.

• Jgold1376
    Jgold1376 Member Posts: 11

I normally do 3 waves for safe, and frantic waving for camping

• ImmortalReaver
    ImmortalReaver Member Posts: 243

Reading through this post has made me come to the conclusion that it means literally nothing. Just people doing it for any random reason.

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662

It means the killer is camping.

• SandySushi
    SandySushi Member Posts: 27

Originally constant spamming on book meant that the killer was camping, now this is what I think spams are.

Constant short spamming = Killer is camping

Long spamming that doesn't mean you attempted a Kobe = Nobody is getting me, help!

Using a kobe that won't put you in struggle = Someone is getting me

• Zamblot
    Zamblot Member Posts: 270

All the responses that concretely 'answer' his are completely wrong since it's different from person to person. I know people who do it because they are bored, I know people who do it cuz the killer is near, I know people who do it because the killer isn't near. It really can't be answered as it's not got a consistent enough use for people to know what it means. It can be interpreted in so many ways

• dkyguy1995
    dkyguy1995 Member Posts: 45

I always do it so I can quote SpongeBob and say "soiled it! Soiled it! Soiled it!"

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,428

For me it means both “Killer might be camping” or “ No one is coming to save me”.

• DarKStaR350z
    DarKStaR350z Member Posts: 670

It always meant that the killer is camping.

Think of it this way, if the killer is camping and they wave; people who think it means camping won’t come for the save while people who think it means it’s safe for a save will come and the killer will be there - if the killer is not camping and they wave; people who think it means camping will not come for the save despite it being safe, while people who think otherwise will.

No one is going to let someone not waving die on hook as some people don’t know about either meaning of the wave, so the safest bet is to use it to signal camping.

• Elvenmonk
    Elvenmonk Member Posts: 367

Killer is camping

• Brisingr
    Brisingr Member Posts: 104

It seems like people are still mixed on its meaning, but in red ranks on Xbox everyone appears to agree on this:

1. Rapid, short-duration arm movements signal camping.

2. Infrequent, long-duration arm movements signal to survivors to come save (meaning no one has made an attempt yet).

3. No signals either means the hooked survivor doesn't feel like doing signals, or a survivor is already on the way so there is no need to make any.

Can anyone confirm this for me? This behavior has been pretty consistent for me in my games.