The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Dead by Daylight idea that will change the way we play.

I have been doing my research on a lot of discussions throughout the forum on how people see Dead by Daylight and what the problems are. I looked at both sides and can sympathize for both arguments.

Gen rushing, infinite’s, unfair advantages, unfair perks, toxicity, camping, tunneling, DC’s, and more.

What I am about to show you is a crazy idea that might solve MOST of these bad cases, and may change the game forever. Criticism is welcome!

What if survivors who are sacrificed don’t actually leave the game? What if they are on temporary sit-out for a little bit, and then brought back into the game?

I know what you are thinking, but let me show how this can work with proper changes.

• Survivors are hooked and sacrificed like normal. Once sacrificed they are put into a stasis (maybe spectating other survivors) for maybe 30 seconds. Once the 30 seconds is up, they are brought BACK to the game, but are trapped (in a locker maybe), and can only be let out by another survivor.
  • If all survivors are on a hook or in stasis, the match ends and the killer wins.
  • (Random idea, just to spice endgame a bit), when all generators are done, any survivor hooked or killed immediately during this time will die with NO returns regardless if they were hooked or not. NOED plus this = every survivor for themselves, GTFO!!!
  • Mori’s auto kill a survivor into stasis, like sacrificing only quicker. Survivor can still come back and be saved

This would, in a way, solve camping and tunneling (maybe a DC or 2) because the survivor is not out of the game, just sidelined for a little bit until their teammates come for them. Camping would waste killers time, and tunneling would not directly matter.

“Isn't this a little survivor-sided? Survivors will just keep coming back and basically escape regardless.”

My random idea would come into play, but that wouldn’t solve anything directly now would it?

Here is my suggestion to fix that: buffing killers greatly. If they were to be buffed in current way we play, they would be impossible to escape, but since survivors can return, it won’t matter.

• Killers buffed to where they can apply proper pressure on generators and chases
  • Maybe some perk buffs?
  • Power would still require skill, but can make game go more interesting and not FULLY one-sided. Plus the saving other survivors from whatever purgatory would get them off gens for a little while. And my crazy idea on endgame immediate sacrifice regardless of previously being hooked or not could wary survivors to not finish a gen right in the killers face.

Pipping system (survivor):

• Double pip if survivor escapes WITHOUT being sacrificed or killed once (maybe with some emblem system help)
  • At least will pip if they escape (and proper emblem points to make sure they actually worked that win)
  • Safety pip if they die but did much work (maybe a pip depending on HOW MUCH they did)

Pipping system (killer):

• Double pip if no survivor escaped
  • Single pip for killing and doing work, applying pressure, etc.
  • Safety if they did ok and maybe hooked a good amount of times

Main thing this plan did not really cover was toxicity and possible gen-rush. I say the buff killers extreme will make a possible fix to generators if you know what you’re doing (and since survivors could return, there really is no FULL consequence). Toxicity...well that’s in every competitive game regardless of how things go, I can’t fix people, just make crazy ideas.

What are your thoughts? Issue I overlooked? Possible change? I would love to see some CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

Comments

• bilaueta
    bilaueta Member Posts: 341

I think you took a little bit too mich inspiration on last year: the nightmare...

Regardless of that I like your spirit, but I dont think that only one nerf can proprerly fix all the issues, think that when an issue is solved with a change a new one may come from it

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
  • csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

Never played last year but I like this idea.

• Andres4pres
    Andres4pres Member Posts: 8

At first I was confused, but then I realized it basically WAS Last Year 😅

I get that. But I did think of that, and brought it back to extremely buffed killers for this change. I’m leaving killer buffs to everyone’s imagination. I know the idea isn’t perfect. Criticism is appreciated!

• The_Second_Coming
    The_Second_Coming Member Posts: 1,110
    edited December 2019

I did, but it seems overcomplicated. It changes DBD for the worse. Taking away the permadeath in a match effectively makes it not DBD anymore.

It will never happen. When it does, that's when the game dies.

• mmorrow8
    mmorrow8 Member Posts: 59

Although I like idea, matches would take way too long and some people don't have the time for that. Also killers can camp those that are in stasis if they can figure out the location where they are, baiting survivors for the save and then killing everyone off. This will also make some perks not really worthwhile anymore like Deliverance, Borrowed, Decisive, all the hook perks would be used more theoretically but with survivors coming back to life what's the point? This will also probably not solve camping and tunneling since if all are in stasis killer wins, meaning the killer needs to kill everyone as fast as possible. This would make BBQ, Make Your Choice, and several other perks and add-ons more useful than they already were to begin with. So although your heart is in the right place this idea will probably never work or be implemented.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,279

Afew things with this. The idea mostly just makes it sound like Last Year. If you wanna play Last Year, go play Last Year, lol. Beyond that, the way of winning as listed here for killer is to either slug all the survivors so you can hook them all at the same time, or let the survivors finish the gens so you hooking them actually matters.

With what you have listed, theres no reason a killer should actually hook a survivor while gens are being done. That survivor isnt going to be out of the game no matter how many times they are being hooked, and theres no time limit or anything that the killer is trying to stall for. This is just going to make slugging builds the obvious answer, so the killer can hook everyone at the same time.

• Tr0g
    Tr0g Member Posts: 241
    edited December 2019

It's cute that you think the devs would completely change the gameplay.

This is what we have.. minor tweaks will be made but this is DBD. I can only hope they learn their lesson if they ever make a DBD 2.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

Death is Death, no respawn. Thats what made DBD great

They just need to do something about facecamp, tunneling, gen rush.

• Andres4pres
    Andres4pres Member Posts: 8

I know they wouldn’t, but I wanted the perspective out. And I do hope they learn a lesson or two.

When I wrote this, I didn’t have Last Year in mind until someone pointed that out. To think I thought I was being original 😂. Also interesting point, but if they were sacrificed, their ranking would suffer whether they escape later or not (under pip suggestions). I suppose you’re still right about the slug part...I like it when I get good criticism, cause I like to hear different opinions, so thank you 😁

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,279

Last Year is able to make use out of a system like this one because it has a timer. The killer CAN win by getting everyone "in statis" at the same time, but can also win just by stalling the survivors long enough. Your idea doesnt leave room for that, so leaves very little reason to down and hook people.

• DanteMorello
    DanteMorello Member Posts: 142
    edited December 2019

Well much appreciation for the effort, but you have to see that most of these forum posts that you saw are made by a loud minority.

Sadly balancing DbD is a tough task.

We are not talking about Counter Strike here or something like that.

Your idea pretty much turns it into another game or at least another Gamemode.

The thing is that for Medium ranks, which is the majority of the player base, the game is quite balanced. These people generate most money. They have priority.

In casual ranks mostly survivors lose and the killer gets 4k. In experienced ranks and good SWF killers mostly lose. These two groups constantly post about their bad experiences.

In a perfect game it would be balanced for all ranks. But achieving that with an asynchronous complex game like DbD, without messing with the ranking system and it's "purity" is almost impossible.

I often heard high ranks like 5 to 1 complain about the developers not listening to them. They have to understand, that this is not League of Legends. They are not pro players earning their money with DbD and filling entire stadiums with spectators, generating money for the devs... If they implement the changes asked for by them here in the forums I am quite sure the player base will shrink and less money is generated.

The casual ranks and their suggestions also will be ignored because they see things from an inexperienced perspective and inevitably they will learn and find themselves, being in the medium ranks as well.

I'm not saying that it is perfect the way it is and the devs are working on improving and satisfying most people.

But you can never satisfy all people and DbD stays an enormous task to fully balance for all players in it's asynchronous nature, without remaking it completely.

This is by the way, what many investors in the gaming industry and other developers voiced their concerns about when the idea of DbD got public back then.

And for such an almost impossible task I'd say the devs are doing a great job.

• Immoral
    Immoral Member Posts: 25

Refer to my post that ruin perk is removed, and is just part of the game. Would free up a perk spot and gen rushing wouldn't be as bad. Although high rank play survivors gen rush ruin anyway.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

Yeah what a great idea, let's just change this game into a clone of a competitor game which crashed and burned.

Twice.