Just curious to those who play survivor...

Options
LOA
LOA Member Posts: 235

Gimmie the reasons you either prefer solo or prefer SWF. Personally, I love to play solo because I feel like it makes the game more challenging and is really the only way to play the game with a certain amount of "fear" still being involved. I have done SWFs a few times, but the people I played with were very skilled and it just usually turns into a mess for the Killer because he can't keep up with our communicated action. Still, there must be a reason to do SWFs besides you just get to play with your friends or is that simply the basis of it??

Anyhow, not looking for an ugliness, just trying to hear from the Survivors out there.

Comments

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110
    Options

I like playing with friends because we all manage to make every match fun, I enjoy solo a lot as well since I just really love playing survivor.

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144
    Options

I don't like SWF because it ruins the immersion.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,801
    Options

Don't have people to play it with and I'd rather take my chances then playing with a 10 year old in swf

• TheRoyalOwl
    TheRoyalOwl Member Posts: 749
    Options

Solo, my friends don't really like the game, and I'd say like 50% of that reason stems from that fact that I can't help them, as I'm in red ranks and they obviously don't want to play against red rank killers.

• Kurrmiu
    Kurrmiu Member Posts: 23
    Options

I play solo 95% of the time, and 2stack when not solo. It truly gets frustrating from time to time with dcs, hook suicides, bad teammates etc. I don't care about ranks anymore, just grinded out rank1 for the achievement.

Would love to try full swf but I don't have friends lol.

• IceCreamPrincess
    IceCreamPrincess Member Posts: 226
    Options

When i play survivor its usually a 50/50 split either alone or with 2 of my friends. We all yoyo between red and purple ranks so we cant really carry eachother, and i just enjoy playing games with them. Without them tho solo is also alot of fun, albeit a very different experience

• LOA
    Options

That's another reason I play solo. It really adds that "horror movie" feel.

• PistolTimb
    PistolTimb Member Posts: 1,413
    Options

I play solo because I'm not very talkative and don't make friends too good.

• Mert_MK
    Mert_MK Member Posts: 674
    Options

First, i just like playing with friends and it's fun to just mess around with them.

Besides that, you can actually rely on them to do objectives, save you and countering unfun "strategies" such as camping and tunneling is also a lot easier. For example i can just let them know via text or voice chat if Killer is insidious camping and they get to do gens without wasting time. If i played Solo and nobody had Kindred, teammates would have to waste a lot of time checking. In general, you don't have to waste perk slots for a lot of things which is nice.

NOED is also not as frustrating because you have a totem counter in SWF.

I used to play Solo a lot but i started to dislike it more and more because of the lack of information. Seeing your teammates ranks in the lobby was nice because you could sorta know what to expect and maybe change your playstyle accordingly. But with that taken away now and in addition with the problems that already existed (having to waste perk slots for information perks, no totem counter, teammates being mostly awful, bad matchmaking etc.) i rarely play Solo now, it has become almost as stressful as Killer to me and a waste of time.

• Xerge
    Xerge Member Posts: 928
    Options

I posted this on another thread:

"I bought this game expecting a horror game. I wanted to feel scared, immersed, confused and feel like the odds are against me. I can only get that feeling when I play solo and that's why I only play solo. I dislike SWF from both perspectives.

I really never felt or feel frustrated, maybe because I always get the experience I want. I don't know what other players expected, but I always thought playing against the killer was supposed to be harder than playing against survivors."

Another thing; I think SWF is like playing in the easiest difficulty setting if you are playing with other good survivors (assuming you are decent too). It's boring.

Also, most SWF team that have invited me to their discord channels tend to be toxic towards the killer. I don't wanna be a part of that either.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614
    Options

I prefer solo cause i won't have to depend on friends being online and playing it.

Also, i prefer it cause i won't be pressured into playing more.

Y'know, sometimes i wanna spend those BP or check the Archives, or browse here.

Also also, i feel like a cheater when i talk with them.

And i would respond, as i'd find it dickish to not do that, but i'd still feel like a cheater, even though it's allowed.

I don't mind others doing it, but telling someone where a Hex Totem's at while i lead the Killer away, yeah i don't feel right with stuff like that.

Also also also, my playstyle just doesn't fit with most other players.

• LOA
    Options

I agree wholeheartedly. I think the ease of playing SWF leads to the toxicity. What else are supposed to do but pick on the killer once you've joined a 4 man that can wreck each and every game? I do think there is something to be said for playing with your friends, but maybe it should be limited to duos? It goes from having no information as a solo to having way too much information as a 4man SWF. In the movies, the survivors never had comms to tell each other exactly what the killer was doing. Except maybe Aliens, but that wasn't a 4v1!!

• Elk
    Elk Member Posts: 2,267
    Options

I mostly play solo because it can be very fun and i don't feel obliged it rescue anyone if i can't. I also play less silly. I like SWF too. We goof around and just have fun talking about perks and stuff and memes....oh the memes.

• LOA
    Options

Yes. Meme playing as a solo is just...well...so solo. Like laughing at your own jokes!!

• Accullla
    Accullla Member Posts: 984
    Options

Solo. I mostly play the game to wind down after work and generally prefer to relax on my own for a bit.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,646
    Options

I play Solo and SWF. Mostly solo, my friends are never on :(

I usually don't win when I play SWF but oh boy is it a good time. We got a 4 chain Head On stun once.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614
    Options

This i can really find myself in.

Survivor in general is just so chill to me, i could get facecamped immediately and i just won't give a single crap.

• GamerCustard
    GamerCustard Member Posts: 59
    Options

I play a bit of both. I like them both for different reasons.

SWF allows me to goof off, something that I can't do safely in solo. And by that, I mean things like failing skill checks or say stupid #########. Not because I feel like they'll carry me, it because we all do It, and we all understand it's a joke (we like to joke about not saving each other and ######### like that) and I can't really do that in a solo game, because I don't want to get someone killed or ruin their fun by goofing off in the same way. We don't play in a toxic manner, and really the only time there's been a full escape is due to the bad matchmaking system setting us up with new killers. SWF allows me to have people to joke around with, and I don't have to worry about getting salt from team mates for my behaviour cause we're all just goofing off. It reminds me that it doesn't always have to be so serious.

I like solo because of the quiet, in a way.. While I am at the risk of being screwed over(people who don't go for saves/obviously farm me without care/do toxic things to the killer which makes everyone on the team pay for it) it in a way teaches me to be more independent. By this, I mean that I have more motivation to not get caught, because I don't know if I will be rescued. It also lets me use my perks to their full ability. I'm a stealth survivor, because I can't do chases or loop for #########. So I run things like premonition and empathy. It adds to the suspense, because I don't have anyone to indicate locations.. I'm not explaining it very well.. I don't know how.. I think sometimes I like to be alone, and when I want to play seriously I enjoy the quiet and the immersion without having to focus on both voices and sound effects.

• UrbanEvading
    UrbanEvading Member Posts: 35
    Options

I enjoy both, but I mostly play solo.

The only problem I have with solo is how bad the teammates can be sometimes even at red ranks. I guess it’s all RNG and most of the time, and I am usually matched with fairly competent Survivors. There are times I’ve been left behind after doing what feels like all the work, which is never the case in SWF.

• AlexisFox
    AlexisFox Member Posts: 127
    Options

I used to play SWF a lot, but the people I played with stopped playing the game so now I usually play solo. In all honesty, the comms you get from being on a discord server together or something similar are not the advantage people keep claiming they are. You can watch SWF teams on twitch that routinely get slaughtered despite having comms with each other just like you can watch SWF teams that aren't even on comms and make the killer look incompetent. The difference is not the comms. It's the knowledge base of the players that are teamed up and their ability to work together.

When you play SWF you usually know what the other people on your team are capable of doing and how they play whether you are talking to them or not. That makes it easier to know what to do in any situation because plans and strategies fall into place easily.

Playing solo you don't know anything about the people you are playing with and it becomes a game of chance as to whether or not the various play styles will mesh together well enough to have the team work needed to get through the match.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,289
    Options

Probably 70% of my time as survivor is played with a single friend of mine in a 2man, and the rest is solo. Been months since I did 3man/4man at this point. I greatly prefer playing with one friend over playing solo because even having a single player I know I can rely on is nice.

• StardustSpeedway
    StardustSpeedway Member Posts: 882
    Options

I 99% play solo and prefer solo. I've played SWF with mics before, but it was honestly BORING. there's no tension because the match is too easy with constant communication. When I do play with my usual friend, we don't even use mics.

• ppo8820
    ppo8820 Member Posts: 763
    Options

I do both. When I’m on lunch break I play solo because it’s only option. When I play at night it’s with two buddies and more fun. The issue is im rank 5 and they stay at 10-13 for some reason so I have to play solo to really rank up.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,794
    Options

I just did a solo match and it reminded me why I prefer swf. Nobody cleansing totems except me and we got screwed by Noed. Farmed off hook by idiots with no borrowed time (of course it was a Claudette). I was the only BT carrier in the match.

Ugh!

• PistolTimb
    PistolTimb Member Posts: 1,413
    Options

@Rizzo90 can one of you explain why this guy was banned? He seemed friendly and nice.

• Rizzo
    Rizzo Member, Administrator, Mod Posts: 17,453
    Options
  • MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172
    Options

When I play survivor I prefer to do so solo because I enjoy having to figure stuff out on my own. In the past (and very rare occasions) I have played with my friend and the two of us make the match a cake walk (both red ranks skill level although he doesn't play anymore and I have nearly stopped myself).

Basically SWF too easy and I don't find it enjoyable.

Solo I can still mess around but actually find some matches a challenge.

• Mrwood204
    Mrwood204 Member Posts: 226
    Options

Solo....just so I can shake my head at what my teammates are doing and take no accountability for my own actions during a match.