Why doesn't DBD have a 'Casual' playmode?

Options

I'm not talking about SWF or KYF, rather the exact gamemode we have when you queue for Killer or Survivor, but WITHOUT the ranking system? It would be a better way to separate the players who are serious about playing competitively and people who are messing around, 'farming' BP or doing such that could ruin games for those competitive players?

Comments

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    Options

The game is about a grind. That's by design so players always have something to work towards.

If another mode came and it offered more for the grind the players would all move over so nothing would change.

If there is less of an incentive then who would move over to play it?

Also what's to stop competative players playing the casual mode thus making it competative?

• Crazewtboy
    Crazewtboy Member Posts: 1,259
    Options

I have thought about this so many times but every time I run into way too many issues for it to work. There is just too many factors. For example, this would divide the player base, making queue times even longer than they already are. As @twistedmonkey said, what is to stop "competitive" players from playing the "casual" mode? Some people will just play casual for easy kills

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,128
    Options

Isn't that what we have now? 🤔

• premiumRICE
    premiumRICE Member Posts: 798
    Options

I think the point is that when you feel you just wanna chill you swap over to unranked, no rank/experience limitation so decent queues and probably a more relaxed match while on ranked mode you have sweaty people with pink addons flashlights etc.

• I_Face_Camp
    I_Face_Camp Member Posts: 244
    Options

This would just make queue times longer; they are already terribly long

• EntityDrudge
    EntityDrudge Member Posts: 184
    Options

They don't have a casual mode because popular streamers swear the game is not competitive. Personally i think they say this as a cop out for when they get owned but hey im jaded.

That aside there should be a casual mode. This game is very competitive and if you're not skilled, you will be crushed.

• TheKnot
    TheKnot Member Posts: 31
    Options

the rank system literally means nothing in this game just play the game

• CrispyChestnuts
    CrispyChestnuts Member Posts: 175
    Options

Ah so all the competitive players could queue for casual to try to stomp some n00bs, whole all the casuals play ranked to try to play near their skill?

• HealsBadMan
    HealsBadMan Member Posts: 1,122
    Options

The point is theres two kinds of players- people who are competitive by nature, and people who play for the sake of playing and having fun. When you get these people in the same game, chances are one or both are going to get upset, even rage against each other. Having separate gamemodes for each would lessen this problem and people would enjoy the game more.

Thats not to say the gamemodes are exclusive- maybe the comp guy wants to blow off some steam, or the fun guy wants to see how good he really is. But in general they play for different reasons, so they should have gamemodes which suit their playstyle.

• twistedmonkey
    edited January 2020
    Options

That all depend on what each offers.

Take the ptb hardly anyone plays it for a prolonged period of time as it doesn't give anything.

A casual mode which gave everyone everything would mean there is no incentive to play ranked at all as it removes the grind and they can be competative with more there so its not really an option.

If you had to grind then it has to have the same rewards so again what changes? It's still competative on how someone wishes to play.

So what is the incentive to play in it over ranked and or the incentive to play ranked over casual if someone plays competitively in both?

What does a casual mode entail that is different from what the normal game?

What aspects of it will mean that the players will play differently than in ranked itself?

There are so many variables apart from everyone just being matched together. The mindset of what one considers a win would carry over be it kills, escapes, bloodpoints etc. Since we know the game is a grind whichever one yields the most results is what one will play so matchmaking becomes on that than the other and then it just turns into the new competative mode.

• HealsBadMan
    HealsBadMan Member Posts: 1,122
    Options

I'm going to use Overwatch as a basis, because its one of the competitive games I know best. I know the two are very different, but lets look at it this way:

Their PTR/PTB is used exactly the same way as DBD's- people barely play on it, and only for a new character or balance changes. The way they separate Quick Play (Casual) vs Competitive is based on a couple things- competitive has a stricter matchmaker (please god, one day) and you get extra rewards for playing competitive, based on wins and final ranking of the season.

If DBD introduced a Casual gamemode then of course some changes would be made to separate it from the ranked experience- maybe Competitive will award people some extra Shards if they place high enough or a small amount of Shards if they get 1 or 2 pips. Something along that line, maybe even something exclusive that can only be achieved via playing/winning in Comp.

The 'grind' is a Comp players mindset- grind to rank one, grind BP, something like that. While there will be some grinding in every players game due to the BP and Bloodweb systems, there are people who play for fun, people who arent looking for the best build or the best game- they just want to enjoy themselves.

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883
    Options

I don't see the point. It'll make queues longer. If I want a casual game I'll find kyf lobby in the community section on ps4

• twistedmonkey
    edited January 2020
    Options

Overwatch isnt a great example as you only grind skins.

The grind in dbd is not just a competative mindset. I am not a highly competative player and I grind to level up the chars so play for bloodpoints. I would play whatever yields the best results for this. So if ranked gives me more I will play that over casual as its beneficial for what I get out of it.

Now take someone who only cares about kills. Competative may not suit them going against the best survivor builds so they turn casual. If the rewards are just a little bit less shards (skins) and they then play with the most competative of builds. This in turns does the same as ranked in theory it makes survivors then start to turn to the same builds as in the competative to have a chance.

This is why dbd is what it is. It's not about the game or a mode but the meta of best used perks, items and offerings to gain an advantage. I don't see how a casual mode would change that if they can all use the same as in ranked but without it why play casual at all?

This is the problem I see. If it's easier and you can use the same then some players move over and in time so do those out for easier games much like how a lot try to derank. This then means over time matchmaking on one naturally starts to get longer so the players then gravitate towards the one where its better making that the current competative mode.

Casual is a mindset not actually a play mode. Making a casual mode then doesnt change the players mindset if the only difference is a ranking system and it just serves to seperate the playerbase causing matchmaking issues. Since everything stays the same apart from a few rewards for playing ranked then we have to then assume the gameplay will be the same in both changing nothing really.

• sostr3ss3d
    sostr3ss3d Member Posts: 5
    Options

I wish there was an option (other than SWF) for playing with no perks.

• The_Second_Coming
    The_Second_Coming Member Posts: 1,110
    Options

Only legitimate answer:

Because it's a casual game. It doesn't need a casual game mode to be what it already is.

• OhSkipper
    OhSkipper Member Posts: 17
    Options

wrong. lets not spilt the player base. just git gud.

• Tisfine
    Tisfine Member Posts: 148
    Options

Or just stop thinking rank actually matter(It doesn't).

• snozer
    snozer Member Posts: 776
    Options

Survivor can't get any more casual than it already is.

• twistedmonkey
    edited January 2020
    Options

Did you actually read the post you quoted?

I am arguing against adding a casual mode for various reasons and one of those points has always been it will split the user base.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

I disagree that there are only two types of players as you describe. I, for example, generally play seriously and aim to win. Not because I want to rank up - I actually hate ranking up - but because I like playing the game the way it was designed more than I like trolling and messing around. I enjoy seriously competing with my opponents, because then victory actually means something.

If something like what you're suggesting were implemented, I would play the "casual" mode because for me it would represent the best of both worlds - everything I like about the game currently, but without the ranking system involved. But according to what you're envisioning, I would be put in games with a bunch of farmers and trolls and neither of us would have fun.

Regardless, the legitimate answer to your question as to why this doesn't exist in the game is that it's for two main reasons. First, because the developers don't want players to just mess around and farm bloodpoints. They're not going to punish anyone for it, but they're also not going to encourage it. And second, because the playerbase is simply not large enough, especially in less populous regions, to support multiple queues without negatively impacting queue times rather drastically.

• heavendog
    heavendog Member Posts: 35
    Options

Okay but like, that's not a problem for things like csgo that has people already do that, it's not really a problem

• CLAUDETTEINABUSH
    CLAUDETTEINABUSH Member Posts: 2,210
    Options

I agree. Either way,games can be casual even with the ranking system.

• twistedmonkey
    edited January 2020
    Options

It's a completely different concept as the likes of cs:go you don't grind for weapons just skins. Even those playing in these games they still compete its just not about rank. Competative is a mindset.

This game is about a grind to level up characters which means any mode which is easiest to do so will be the most played turning it into a competative place.

If the core gameplay stays with doing gens/escape and hook/sacrifice then the game doesn't change so its up to each player to decide how they wish to play.

So as I have asked what would the difference be? If it's none then what does it do apart from split the userbase? Why would someone play differently than they do now? What's to stop competative players being competative in it?

• Nomadd
    Nomadd Member Posts: 167
    Options

Hmm maybe becaue ranks here matter as much as last year's snow? Honestly, who gives a damn about rank in game where you don't have tournaments and no rewards at all for the rank you get? What difference does it make?

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506
    Options

Yes it is. People still think the matchmaking tool labeled as rank, that offers no reward and resets monthly, means online competetive play.

Somehow they STILL think this.

• Hex_KillerMainBTW
    Hex_KillerMainBTW Member Posts: 447
    Options

Because the devs basically said the size of the player base on each platform isn't enough reason to make another game mode or to change anything. The ranking system is out of whack because of the lowered population almost anyone can become a red rank

• DepressedClownMain
    DepressedClownMain Member Posts: 924
    Options