Why do Trappers hit trapped survivors?

First of all, I understand if you have Save the Best For Last and want to get stacks but half of the trappers I've played against didn't use the perk. They didn't reset their traps either, they just hit the trapped survivors and THEN picked them up.

Any reason why they do that? Do they just copy what Otzdarva does and hit the survivors?

Comments

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

It doesn't always work picking them up due to lag at times so a hit is more a guaranteed down.

• YaiPa
    YaiPa Member Posts: 1,929

The prompt for picking survivor up isn't always easy to get, you may ask to vault a window or kick a pallet instead, time in which the survivor could free himself. Otherwise you may want to not pick up the survivor immediately, because ds or because you want to use pop before or because you want to slug.

• SunderMun
    SunderMun Member Posts: 2,789

Guarantees they don't get out while spamming space and deadhard or whatever out of it and also they may see someone else they want to pressure while said survivor is downed. Hitting them is faster, as well as safer, than picking up and dropping them.

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

Surge, to pick up a trap, infectious fright, one shot perks etc.

• Ah yes. My favorite killer atm (if only I had any trapper bags left). I personally do it because I get more blood point value out of it most of the times since I smh always manage to max the deviousness category before brutality. Other than that I can't see much of a reason besides stbfl. (though it's easier to avoid flashlight saves if you hit them first, at least in my opinion.)

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

As a console player, all I can really say is that the "Pick Up" survivor button is dofferent to what I normally want to press for that type of action. It's easier for me to hit them, then pick them up.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188
    edited January 2020

Sometimes, when survivors are in a SWF, they'll try to go for pallet/flashlight saves, so if you pick up at the wrong time... it'll end up worse for them as the killer. It's so that you can have a chance to check around or be able to listen and dictate where you can pick when you want to pick them up.

• bgbomb
    bgbomb Member Posts: 434

you need to hit the survivor to get the emblem point

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184
  • Taretsu
    Taretsu Member Posts: 46

In my case I do it for safety reasons, just to make sure they don't untrap themselves while I'm walking up to grab them. It may seem a very small window, but it's incredible how much it can ######### you up if they escape just when you're about to grab them directly from the trap.

• AshleyWB
    AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061

I always hit survivors because I don't know if they get out of the trap in a healthy state. I have to make sure.

Also hitting a survivor is a good way of saying "No, bad Meg"

• MasterTater
    MasterTater Member Posts: 46

@Peanits Why doesn't Trapper get points for hitting trapped survivors? I mean Doc and Freddy basically get points for existing.

• DeadByMemelight
    DeadByMemelight Member Posts: 51

Poor coding means it can take too long to get the prompt to pick someone up, and the genius idea of tying all environment interactions to one key means you may accidentally vault or break a pallet if they were trapped near one of those.

• Rex_Huin
    Rex_Huin Member Posts: 1,208

The real reason.....hitting a trapped survivor is one of the most satisfying killer actions in the game.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

As Peanits said, the main reason that Otz and many other Trapper mains do this is because it allows them to pick up (and replace, if they choose) the trap immediately, instead of having to come back for it later. Basically, it's a big time-saver on a killer for whom managing time wisely is extremely important.