Should I buy Clown?

With The upcoming Ruin nerf, Clown will suck even more but his playstyle does look like fun. I'm in a dilemma should I buy Clown to test him out or should I just save my money?

Comments

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

If you think his playstyle is fun, go for it. 🤷‍♂️

• Rex_Huin
    Rex_Huin Member Posts: 1,208
    edited January 2020

I like him.

Is he on sale at the moment? If not wait a bit. He's an older killer and on PS4 at least he is often half price.

Then for £3 or whatever you cant really go wrong as even if you don't like the killer 2 of the perks are very decent. PGTW may well be the new meta if not already.

Edit - oh and how could I forget you get lovely Kate as well. No brainer.

• TunnelVision
    TunnelVision Member Posts: 1,375

Only if you like being abused. That said, with the next update, this will become the norm for every killer.

• BadMrFrosty
    BadMrFrosty Member Posts: 1,100

No, clown is actual garbage. Get him for shards or just wait for pop goes the weasel to appear on the shrine.

• TATAHARAMBE
    TATAHARAMBE Member Posts: 120

I love playing Clown, I have fun with certain add-ons (with the one that gives you exhaustion). I love PGTW. You should buy him! I'm not a Clown main, but I have some good games with him, even when all of the survivors escape.

• RPGWolfGamer23
    RPGWolfGamer23 Member Posts: 126

I've never actually played a game as the Clown, but I think he's somewhat mid-tier. He can be really strong if you're able to use his bottles to block off loops effectively, and he has one of the best iridiscent add-ons in the game that rewards you if you can play him well and get a direct hit on survivors. His perks are definetly worth leveling up as well, except for maybe Coulrophobia, but PGTW and Bamboozle can really help you in a game, especially if survivors use the window at the Killer's Shack. It's really up to you if you want to buy him with auric cells or iridiscent shards, but I would recommend trying him out at least in a few games if you feel like you'd like him.

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335

I love the Clown, but he will have it tough against high ranked survivors. He is pretty fun to play if your not too concerned about ranking up.

• Xerge
    Xerge Member Posts: 928

lol, no.

The only thing that's useful and really fun about clown is PGTW if you are playing in high ranks, which seem to be every player right now due to the lack of red rank... I mean due to a bug in matchmaking.

• DepressedClownMain
    DepressedClownMain Member Posts: 924

Hey, 600 hours on Clown here. Honestly, no, he is sad to play and has possibly the highest skill cap in the game. Sometimes a single missed bottle costs you a game and even if you play perfectly, you are rewarded almost nothing. His power pretty much only forces a pallet to be dropped early, but does nothing against infinites and if you want to decrease the distance between you and a survivor, the slowdown post bottle will literally cancel the hindrance (Yeah, balance, bhvr).

He needs some addons, and his recharge time is to big. If you really want to play him tho, use perks to shave chase times and gen regression. I like Pop as my main perk (my fav one in game), Discordance/Corrupt/Sloppy (new ruin is terrible imo). To decrease chases, I use Brutal and Save the Best for Last (M&A is a great pick on him as well). My favorite addons are the starling feather and the thick cork stopper.

• ASpazNamedSteve
    ASpazNamedSteve Member Posts: 1,784

Why are people so terrified of playing without Ruin lol. It does make things harder in some cases sure, but really it's not that big of a deal.

Play any killer without Ruin and you'll realise the world doesn't end.

• AAAAA
    AAAAA Member Posts: 558

If you think Clown would be fun, go for it! But I'd recommend waiting to use Shards for any non liscenced killer, and especially Clown because tbh, he's very weak.

• Avilgus
    Avilgus Member Posts: 1,261

For his perks: yes he has the best perks

For his power: No, buy Freddy if you don't already have it

• Outland
    Outland Member Posts: 535

The clown has Zero map pressure, without RUIN he is not a viable High Rank Killer. If you like low ranks sure the Clown can be fun. But since the idea is to advance, I'd suggest not getting the CLOWN.

• SupaSlay3r20
    SupaSlay3r20 Member Posts: 139

You should consider buying him to unlock PGTW because that's all he's good for anymore.

• ASpazNamedSteve

Rank 1 isn't that scary either.

I play him there without Ruin and like I said, the world doesn't end. You can do well.

• goat10em
    goat10em Member Posts: 749

He has good perks but is basically the same low ceiling killer all but about 4 others are. I still play him in my rotation at rank 1. Just know your game is definitely determined by the survivors you get. Bad survivors you'll do fine. Good survivors your have your ######### pushed in. As long as you're okay with that then go for him.

• Bigbootiejudy666
    Bigbootiejudy666 Member Posts: 407

Well I've been playing killers without ruin to brace my hole for the upcoming ruin nerf and some of the weaker killers (Like Plague and Wraith) and They become slightly more weaker without Ruin. I'm not saying it's impossible but it does takes weaker killers early pressure

• ASpazNamedSteve

It does, I just think we've all become a bit too accustomed to Ruin, it's become everyone's comfort zone. I stopped using it a couple of months ago and there's really nothing to be scared of. You'll find it actually forces you to play better and think smarter.

And yeah there are times where gens just fly like the wind but honestly if you think you played well and made very few mistakes, then you can't ask for much more from yourself. 4k'ing every game no matter what just isn't a thing that will happen.

Play whoever you like and have fun! <3

• Outland

We are all glad you have zero issues playing this way, but is it even remotely possible, that an average player will have a very hard time, ENJOYING the game at that level versus average survivors?

RUIN allowed Killers to play the game with more Killers instead of those with speed. It allowed players to experiment with other perk combo's. The gutting of RUIN is just forcing a more diversive killer pool, down into a choice few that'll actually allow success.

• Outland

It seems that only survivor players are allowed to play casually, there is no such thing as a casual Killer. That is if they want to rank up.

The only casual Killers you find are the ones looking to escape the Red Ranks. Or ones that have had their spirit broken by the game, or just didn't care in the first place.

• ASpazNamedSteve

I'll try to address both of your comments.

I do think it is possible that an average player can enjoy the game at high ranks yes lol, but I do agree with you that this change hits average players the hardest. I understand the pressure it alleviated early game (if it didn't get broken instantly). I disagree that it allowed players to experiment with perk combos though, I think it stifled them; always forcing perk builds to be 3 perks instead of 4 because of how mandatory people think the perk is.

And survivor is the more casual role yes, but I mean... that's always been the case. Apart from soloqueue which can be terrible, survivor is just a more passive role (not to say it's easier necessarily, just less active than killer).

• Fleece
    Fleece Member Posts: 253

Yes

• HarryToeknuckles
    HarryToeknuckles Member Posts: 158

Yes, he can be a fun killer with the right perks, plus he's got that amazing elephant costume coming soon.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

Only you can decide what your after.

Pros - Cool cosmetics, sort of creepy (he is a clown), greeat Mori animation, PGTW is a great teachable for other killers.

Cons- Next to no map pressure (even worse now), boring power that doesn't do much without great add-ons, boring to look at weapon (personal opinion), has no great perk builds or variety to be competitive.

I have clown because I bought the chapter upon release. For some reason I made a impulse buy just that once and I must say I regret the decision. Kate is ok but she isn't the survivor I play.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,248

I'd say go for it. Corrupt Intervention is better than Ruin on Clown anyway. He has no mobility and a 32m terror radius, so having to patrol half the map at the start is better than potentially losing a totem right away plus patrolling the entire map.

• goat10em
    goat10em Member Posts: 749

Another con: He sounds like he is taking a dump every time he vaults something. Makes it even harder to mind game with the big fatty. I don't understand why this is still a thing.

• The_Meh_Teh
    The_Meh_Teh Member Posts: 136

I just bought clown last night and played once. I only sacrificed one survivor that match because I'm still getting the hang of it. He is fun to play. I bought him for PGTW, didn't want to wait for the shrine.

He's only 9000 shards.

Bottles are fun, his laugh is great and it's nice to add some variety to the tired killer pool.

I'm no good at loops so I feel clown is a good way to combat that.

So far he's great! No regrets.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

He should be next on the list of reworks, and with the Ruin REWORK, he should still be fine. He is stronger in the lower ranks, than the higher ranks though.

Bamboozle and Pop Goes are still considered really strong perks, so it might be worth having him for them.

I'd probably get him on sale, though. Not that we shouldn't be supporting the developers. It's just that he's not THAT great right now. And you'll get Kate if you buy the chapter.

• Biggs
    Biggs Member Posts: 286

True answer? If you want to have really even more frustrated games with more chore yes.. Sadly hes the worst killler.. He has few ok addons nice mori but hes really bad.. Worst killer now.. Clownophobia is utter crap no reason to take it.. Bamboozle is ok perk to stop loops but obce you learn mindgames it starts loosing potencial and there are far more better options.. But pop!! Oh god that is the best utility slowdown perk in game šach kick regress 25 % of gen.. Pop was leta even before demented ruín nerf so definitely také it.. But ... In new rift pass there are quite a lot and nice cosmetics so i think jed gonna be reworked next.. But watch out devs are balancing and reworking killers not because of balance but because of fun for survivors so hes gonna be crap even after rework..

• The_Meh_Teh
    The_Meh_Teh Member Posts: 136

For the record, I still had a blast playing clown, even tho I only got 1 sacrifice. I don't need to win to have a great time. I can repost my thoughts in a week or so once I've played him more.

• Jacksansyboy
    Jacksansyboy Member Posts: 174

Don't buy him, you can get him for free with shards in game. It will take a little while if you don't have some saved up already though.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

Yes he is fun enough to be your main killer. If you only care about ranks don't buy him though.

• ZtarShot
    ZtarShot Member Posts: 838

Thicc boi much yes purchase the thicc boi scare scare. #dabonthem haters🤭😘😋

• adsads123123123123
    adsads123123123123 Member Posts: 1,116

Only for the perks. The killer is extremely bad.

• tylerlogsdon1
    tylerlogsdon1 Member Posts: 158

I got to rank 5 in like 3 days using only clown(from rank 18). I love the clown. Even against strong survivors I usually have no problem(in my year and a half of playing, Ive probably had 15 games where more than 2 escaped).

• Umbrae_pk
    Umbrae_pk Member Posts: 482

He is so not worth it, no.

• Elvenmonk
    Elvenmonk Member Posts: 367

His perks are great.

That's all I got

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703

Unpopular opinion (and I don't care): Clown is my favourite killer.

I am currently a rank 6 killer and usually get respectable results with Clown.

He is good for slowing down loopers and detection of nearby survivors.

Pop Goes The Weasel is also a top perk.

Give him a try.

*honk*honk.

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125
    edited January 2020

If you dont have his teachables, Pop is the next best genregress perk next to ruin and bamboozle is usefull on many killers. I personally find clown fun to play but yea sadly clown sucks. But it depends on survivors. If survivors dont genrush then you will probably win, if survivors are bad in chase you will probably win, if survivors hold M1 doesn't matter how bad they are in chase you will lose xD.

Clown actually has a really good anti chase ability, probably one of the best, he just lacks of map pressure, basicly like huntress. Alot of ppl underestimate clown and consider his power as useless or bad designed. But his bottles are probably one of the best designed powers in dbd, you have to learn how to use thouse bottles in which loop and situations. Just like hag many ppl are to lazy to learn this killer and just play them for dailys, spam the bottles and waste them and might up ending with 0 kills and leave this killer behind.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,873

If anything, clown has good perks. Coulrophobia isn't good. But Pop Goes The Weasel and Bamboozle are both very solid. Usually when I play Clown I'm just... clowning around. Sorry. I'll leave now.

• Kagari_Leha
    Kagari_Leha Member Posts: 555

if Clown is a killer that you want to play just take it then, no need for dilemma, play like you want to play

• yadielrodriguez
    yadielrodriguez Member Posts: 515

Exactly thank you for saying it and if you good on it then you don't need ruin like me I'm a wraith main and get win without never use ruin.

• yadielrodriguez
    yadielrodriguez Member Posts: 515

No shut up ruin don't fit on wraith and I'm a wraith main and I get 4k by using blood warden.