Tunneling isn't real.

Options
Paladin_Goo
Paladin_Goo Member Posts: 287
edited April 2022 in General Discussions

Greetings, everyone. Some of you may know me, in which case, hello. Most of you may not, as it's been a long, long time since I've engaged with the DBD community out of game. I think since mid-2018, to be honest.

I'm here today with a (maybe not so)unique opinion.

Tunneling isn't a real thing

To elaborate on this, it all boils down to the killer victory cube. I've played a lot of killer in the last year. I even joined the "Killer Alliance", or as it's known now, the "Masochists Alliance", which is a very apt name for the group. I'm currently a rank 3 with my bae the Wraith, which any killer main will tell you is a world of pain to do as Wraith.

Now, look at the killer victory cube - you are rewarded for the destruction of the survivors in the quickest and most efficient manner possible. You are punished for long chases, longer length of the game, the more generators that get repaired etc. To clarify, this doesn't mean you should camp, because killers are punished for that was well. The victory cube, on the other hand, SCREAMS at killers to hook someone, find someone else, but as soon as that person is unhooked to haul ass back to the hook and get that person back on the hook because they will A) be easier to down due to being injured, and B) they closer to death than anyone else. Though, this mostly applies to weaker killers, like Wraith, Clown, ESPECIALLY Freddy; Nurse, Billy, and even Huntress to an extent don't have this problem because of map mobility. Spirit, I swear, is MADE to double back to the hook from longer distances; and it makes sense. As well, tunneling can be a bad strategy at times - for example if you simply run into a survivor who is a god tier runner (which is seldom, to be honest, even at red ranks) and it's not worth the time to chase them.

This all lines up with the survivor victory cube as well - they are rewarded for all the things killers are punished for, and again that makes sense.

Now, is being "tunneled" fun? Depends on who you are. Some survivor mains thrive on it. Usually, though, no it's not; but let's be honest, in general losing isn't fun for the most part. To be even more honest, being tunneled as a survivor is just about as fun as being run through the infinite at Crotus Penn Asylum, or the killer shack, or anywhere in Haddonfield/Springwood as a killer; but at the end of the day, "infinites" are the most effective way to lose a killer. Just like tunneling is the most effective way to win as a killer (again, there are exceptions, like Nurse, Billy etc). Survivors will do what they have to do, killers will do the same.

TL;DR: Basically, "I was tunneled and that's why I died" is an excuse. Don't blame killers for it, blame the devs for...not necessarily revolving the killer cube around tunneling, but more inadvertently making tunneling the most effective thing you can do to actually win; AND before you say "you can 4k without tunneling", while that is true, you can also 4k and still not win. Or at least, by game definition because everyone has their own definition of victory in DBD; and it gets progressively harder to get that game-defined victory pip the higher you go in ranks, because the requirements are far more strict.

Post edited by EQWashu on

Comments

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,105
    Options

Imma say you're about half right. While taking someone out of the game early can swing power for the rest of the match drastically in your favor, Constantly going after the unhooked person and ignoring anyone else ISN'T always the best option available. Often times, the target I go after depends on how close they are to a safe location instead of JUST their healthstate. If you return back to the hook, and successfully interrupted the heal... by all means, hit the injured guy if its quick. If you see one person run to a safe location however, while the other is running to a deadzone...Its often a better idea to chase after the guy in the deadzone, even if its NOT the freshly unhooked guy. Perks like MYC work wonders in these instances, and the other guy still is going to need to heal up. This puts 2 ppl off gens instead of just 1, creating better pressure. It also lets you avoid cases of DS or BT. Im sayin this as a Freddy main. The more people you have injured the better.

• KillermainBTWm8
    KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

Tunneling while more strategic is still not really that effective I would prefer to attempt to snowball the survivors it's more rewarding and fun for everyone. While I don't disapprove of tunneling I will say why some survivors hate it so much. If a survivor gets tunneled it makes them feel powerless because they have 2 outcomes die and buy your team little time or still die and their team gets out. The only way the tunneled will get out is if they get a ton of good loops or the killer is just straight up bad. This feeling of powerlessness actually causes a lot more toxicity at least I think so. People get angered when they feel like they can do nothing it's just a fact and since I know how it feels I tend to not tunnel I don't disapprove of it but understand why some survivors hate it soooo much.

• megdonalds
    megdonalds Member Posts: 742
    edited November 2019
    Options

Still, biggest problem is that most survs don't care about being injured and repairing gens in front of you anyways. Plus, snowballing mostly works only on potatoes (bad SWF included). So, you can be the best killer in the universe but you will fail against a tryhard survivor team unless they do mistakes.

Post edited by Inji on
  • moonlunn
    moonlunn Member Posts: 170
    edited June 2019
    Options

I mean just because you think there’s nothing wrong with it doesn’t mean it’s not a thing it’s fine if you wanna tunnel but that doesn’t make it non existent lol

• megdonalds
    Options

Yes, technically gen rush DOES NOT exist because it's yet the only survivor objective. A killer needs fast kills to win which is his objective (remember the victory cube). Long story short, tunneling (actually camping included) is a term created by survivors to have an everytime excuse for anything towards the killers. Gen rush is a term for killers to have an everytime excuse for anything towards the survivors. Ergo, that's literally the DBD infinite lifecycle and those terms only exist because of biased players who only play one role/side.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,230
    Options

Genrush is also commonly used to describe the difference of how long it takes to sacrifice a survivor compared to how many generators could be finished in the same time.

• RoKrueger
    RoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371
    edited June 2019
    Options

@KillermainBTWm8 That's exactly one of the reasons why I tunnel, their despair and anger fuels me. The other being eliminate one survivor quickly so the other 3 become easier to handle.

Why do you care if the survivors are having fun? Let them try to not get caught, that should be fun enough. Once I have identified the easiest one to catch and down, they are mine! Is better to dispose quickly of the one that just does generators, the others are too busy trying to do saves or just run around trying to get your attention.

Sometimes you get lucky and the tunneled survivor, overwhelmed with frustation and annoyance, just let themselves get sacrificed on the second hook. Or better yet, they disconect once you down them for the second time. Now the morale of the rest of the survivors is hurt, this is your time!

• megdonalds
    Options

"Both tunneling and gen rush fall under the realm of balance concerns that people should hold the devs responsible for, not individual players."

Yes, that's the main point why those terms exist apparently. But, DBD is an asymmetrical pvp game and it's literally unbalanced by genre and design. It can't never be balanced overall, not as long things like SWF with voice comm exist which can't be forbidden. Ofc you could always tweak it here and there, but as most of the posts in this forum show people will always cry and complain no matter what the devs change in what direction.

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321
    Options

Of course not. Tunneling is necessary at times but most of the time "gen rushing" happens BECAUSE all the other survivors notice you're after that one single player causing you to lose gens like crazy unless you manage to tunnel your personal object of obsession quickly enough.

• Redd
    Redd Member Posts: 833
    Options

I disagree with this. Unless you're a really good trapper, you can't be in two places at once. As soon as you break off a chase, that survivor can get back on a gen. Meanwhile, the other 3 survivors have all been on gens AND you now have to find one of them. You apply little to no pressure by giving up on a chase.

That being said, while you are losing pressure by breaking off a chase, knowing whom not to chase (aka you are hopelessly outmatched) is a good way to not throw more good time after bad.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,098
    Options

I don't think tunneling is a thing in the sense that most survivors define it. Safe unhooks don't stop when you let go of the unhook button. Healing on the hook is generally a terrible idea if there is a pallet nearby. And oftentimes I see the healthy person make no effort to block for or protect the injured survivor. I see this all the time at the end of games when they run to the gates, and it works wonders. Why can this not happen during the game? It's because most killers have been shamed into playing by the made up rules.

That being said, I think tunneling does exist if a killer is actively seeking out one person above the others and throws the game because of it. If they are ignoring optimal chases and hits to down one specific survivor over and over again as gens pop, that's absolutely tunneling.

• Slayer
    Slayer Member Posts: 1,148
    Options

Thats a bit of a true for survivors with no sprint.Survivors with sprint will always gen rush cause most of the times they are always safe.

• purebalance7
    purebalance7 Member Posts: 90
    Options

It's in reference to tunnel vision though not literally tunneling.

• Fizz
    Fizz Member Posts: 71
    Options

I don't want to come across badly however I have this feeling that killer mains (which I'd like to consider myself) give too much thought to how the survivors feel. I by no means saying we should tunnel someone out of the game just because or that we should camp but if we are being honest with ourselves how many survivors stop and think about how we feel when they do certain actions within a game or run certain perks in a game.

I mean for instance how many survivors will disconnect to give a friend the hatch or how many survivors will disconnect to save an item when they've been beaten or just disconnect because they've been caught. While I think it's great we give some consideration to not ruining the fun of others because we can I do feel like we also need to stop caring about the feelings of survivors as from my personal experience they don't stop to consider ours.

I say this in relation to the whole tunnelling thing. Sometimes it just makes sense and yes even when it's the right move we will get crap for it. We just need to play the way that is most efficient for us in terms of what we all personally want out of the game. I apologise if people see this as a rant or as a negative post or even a swing at survivors, it's honestly not intended to be. It's just playing game after game of survivors doing whatever they want and feeling justified because their role is to survive. We should be allowed and not given crap for doing our role which sometimes means tunnelling and yes, sometimes even camping.

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873
    Options

@Yamaoka with Spirit, if you're running no addons then tunnelling is sometimes necessary, since messing up once pretty much auto makes you lose.

But I just target whoever runs at me, if someone takes the hit, I crush them, hook them and kill the next guy who comes to me.

But if the unhooked runs at me, I will smack him down. If he does it in a cocky way, I know he got DS and find the next Donny who unhooked since STBFL makes me waste almost no time in downing the next one.

If you're running addons though, that's a different story.

• WildDovami
    WildDovami Member Posts: 56
    edited June 2019
    Options

I main survivor. Not sure why other survivors complain about tunneling. Killer's job is to kill you. Are the killers supposed to let you run off in good sport because someone unhooked you? You can't decide how other people play. You can only change your play.

Here's an idea - don't get seen. If you can't be seen, you can't be tunneled. If you do get tunneled then make them pay for it by wasting their time.

I'm betting these same survivors wait at the exit gates to be seen then run out...

• Poweas
    Options

@WildDovami I have a feeling you're a killer main :P

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110
    Options

@Poweas I’m a killer main now but even when I mained survivor I never understood complaints on tunneling.

• WildDovami
    Options
  • WildDovami
    Options

Right? Are you supposed to let me run away? Lol it's just wild to me that people want you to play by certain rules. I hate being face camped. HATE it, but that's the killer's choice.

• GrootDude
    Options

I’ve always just thought “play how you want” a strategy is a strategy.

• Poweas
    Options

@TreemanXD then you must have not been tunnelled as hard as I was. I (used to be) was one of those survivors who was amazing at chases, mindgames and carrying a team. And as a result, I was hard tunnelled constantly, pretty much couldn't have proper games and have fun, and they'd give me salt messages.

Most people who hate tunnelling do it because it's 'scummy', but I did it because I was punished for being better than the killers who abused bloodlust to catch me. Now, I'm a mere shadow of my former skill and I can have fun. I had to sacrifice all that skill just to have fun. Imagine that.

If you didn't understand the complaints, then you were:

A) Likely not tunnelled as hard, because the killers didn't see you as such a big threat.

or

B) You got lucky with lenient killers.

I can totally understand the complaints. I don't care about tunnelling anymore, and no longer hate it, but for the skilled survivors who get bloodlusted and hard tunnelled, and can't play a proper game, I feel their pain.

• Poweas
    Options

@WildDovami I don't look down on tunnelling anymore, but I can understand why some people do. Read my comment above to show who I understand and feel bad for.

• GrootDude
    Options

@Poweas I got (and still get) hard tunneled, I just don’t care how my opponents play.

I’ve always just moved on to the next match.

• Poweas
    Options

@TreemanXD like I said, they won't ruin your fun like they did to me. It's 100% the reason I became a killer main, to get away from all of that.

I highly doubt the killers were as scummy as they were to me. I was something else in skill, had less hours than some of the best survivor players out there, but very comparable skill.

I hated survivor back then, then I took it lightly and laughed, now I'm chill about it.

• GrootDude
    Options

@Poweas I was more chill with the game back then. Camping and tunneling doesn’t bother me but I get frustrated whenever gens get done too fast (I stopped playing Nurse ‘cause I kept getting Lery’s and cornfields.) I’m probably gonna main billy and then Freddy when he gets his rework.

• Poweas
    Options

@TreemanXD as your friend, I'd like to say avoid Billy. Against good survivors, he's basically Leatherface but fast so he maintains top tier. Curve? No problem, the survivors can flick the other way and loop you well. Bait it? They'll expect it next time boi. Try to curve a window? They'll bait it easily. He's easy to beat.

He's a top tier killer, but definitely trash in comparison to the other 3 (Nurse, Spirit and Hag).

Main something like Huntress. Billy can combat genrush though, he's fast enough, but that's all he has tbh. Huntress is fun, almost as good and solid anyway. Or Hag, but you said you dislike her.

• GrootDude
    Options

@Poweas I’ll try Huntress, yeah I do find hag boring.

• Poweas
    Options

@TreemanXD don't worry, I now find her boring too lol. She's a Nurse but not map dependant. When mastered, she never loses, not even against 4 toolboxes, it gets boring after a while.

• Paladin_Goo
    Paladin_Goo Member Posts: 287
    Options

I suppose they DO both "exist" in a sense. I guess my argument is that blaming survivors for genrushing and blaming killers for tunneling as the reason you lose is, well, horse #########. Survivors only have generators, that's their objective. Killers have to kill survivors, and more times than not, tunneling is a very effective way to make that happen.

• CaptainCastle
    CaptainCastle Member Posts: 536
    Options
This discussion has been closed.