Remove the grappling hook!
I know it's unlikely that BHVR will even try this, but I am really curious what this game would be like (or might have been) without the grapple, or with a limited grapple.
- We could have outposts with open-sky roofs (no ceiling). A 2-block surrounding wall would be enough to keep the player inside an open-topped room. (Currently almost all outposts are closed corridors or caverns, but this could change.)
- This could result in some style of jump-parkour outposts. The outpost could be a sort of long winding staircase that the player must walk along, or take long leaps to get from one platform to another. A 4-block gap could prevent the player from jumping between platforms. There could be floating blocks that the raider has to jump between. (Oh, except we can't enforce jump paths because of Harvey.)
- If the player falls into a pit, they may have to restart the raid, since they can't grapple out of it.
- The player may not be able to retrieve ammo from traps that are far away. But that could be a part of the challenge. (The builder could also make the path so the player can retrieve their ammo later in the raid.) Or perhaps the grapple could be repurposed as an ammo-retriever (like a frog's tongue).
- In general, a limited grapple would be more challenging for raiders.
A gentler version of this might be a grapple that you can use only once, and then you have to land on a surface to reset it. With this kind of grapple, you could get out of some pits, and retrieve some ammo, but you could not repeat-grapple to get all the way to the top of a high wall. And you couldn't spam grapple to stay on the ceiling while clearing a room.
Of course this would be a huge change. But I'm just so curious about how the game might look without grapple, which is so heavily used that it dominates the style of play.
In the unlikely event that BHVR did want to try this, it could be tested as a limited-time mode on just some outposts, as suggested here: https://forums.bhvr.com/Meet-Your-Maker/discussion/364592/wild-card-condition-for-raids#latest