The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Suggestion: Prestige system rework

Havoc5015
Havoc5015 Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 7
edited April 2023 in Feedback

The prestige system feels like a popularity contest. Tl;dr: The prestige progress shouldn't reset back to 0 when you reset the genmat of your base.

I've played about 21 hours since release day, split equally between building and raiding. It's possible I'm misunderstanding the mechanic, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong. The way I understand it works is that your base only has so much genmat available in it. If your base doesn't get enough prestige points by the time the genmat runs out, you have to reset the genmat to bring it back to the full amount, but doing so resets your prestige points too.

my bases are plenty deadly, getting anywhere from 5 kills avg against skilled players to upwards of 50 vs less skilled players. However, two days ago I reset my base, setting it back to 0 points at prestige 2. I got one raid on that base yesterday the entire day. Now I have to reset the progress again back to 0 and hope I get enough to prestige it today. This feels wrong to me. The prestige system is not in my control.

Since the bases put in front of people are RNG, I have a 1 in 5 chance for my base to be selected IF the player is playing brutal-level bases. I need players to raid me if I'm going to prestige by the time the genmat runs out. If they don't raid me I'm SOL. Better luck next time. Again, maybe I'm misunderstanding the system or don't see all the merits. Please feel free to correct me.

Possible fix one: You already track the kill ratio. Make it based on that. Take the kill ratio of the last ten raids. If it's over the threshold, and the genmat has run out, let them prestige. Last ten raids allows them to make their base better over time without poor design in the past weighing them down.

Possible fix two: Let the players choose to keep their base active without taking any genmat from it. Raiding players still get genmat, players wouldn't earn passive genmat, but deaths still contribute toward prestige.

possible fix three: don't reset prestige progress when genmat is reset.

Possible fix four: let some prestige progress carry over each time you reset, so less is needed to prestige each time you reset.

Possible fix five: get a TON more players in the game, or monitor pick ratios so less picked bases are put in front of people more often

Comments

• hastarkis
    hastarkis Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 580

>>If your base doesn't get enough prestige points by the time the genmat runs out, you have to reset the genmat to bring it back to the full amount, but doing so resets your prestige points too.

>>let some prestige progress carry over each time you reset, so less is needed to prestige each time you reset.

If you don't get enough points to prestige, what do you want to carry over?..

Like, I think you missunderstand the system. You earn prestige points for kills and accolades. If you earn enough points, you have an option to refill your base and give it another life as a reward. And you don't loose your points. You spend them to prestige and keep the rest for further prestiges. You can see them somewhere top right: your points and points needed to prestige next time. And if you have enough points you can see diamond icon.

If you don't get enough prestige points you can't prestige you base, and deleting it is your only option (at least as far as I know). Then you have to buy and build new outpost.

• Havoc5015
    Havoc5015 Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 7

I understand everything you said. It doesn't conflict with what I said, but you're wrong on one part. If you don't have enough to prestige, you don't demolish your base, you can just refill the genmat by spending the 600ish resources. It resets the genmat back to max and also resets your prestige progress, which is what I'm talking about. If only one person raids your base and you don't get enough kills/accolades to prestige, then everything resets to zero. But I don't control who raids my base, so I have no control over my prestiges. Whatever progress I make is sometimes reset before the genmat timer runs dry.

• TigBatFiddies
    TigBatFiddies Member Posts: 11

"If you don't get enough prestige points you can't prestige you base, and deleting it is your only option (at least as far as I know). Then you have to buy and build new outpost."

This is the only part you got wrong afaik. You really have no need to delete the base, unless you've somehow managed to meet your burial site capacity. You are able to set the base into social mode so yourself and other players are still able to run the raid. Doing so will not produce GenMat for you, nor will it give you prestige points. Raiders also will not receive rewards for completing your raid. So while there is no REAL benefit to putting your base in social mode, there's also no much benefit from deleting. Archive your bases and use them as reference in the future. See what worked, what didn't work, get better.

• hastarkis

Well, I didn't say you have to delete your base, you just can't get any value (resources, not knowledge) out of it with no prestige points. Of course you can put it on social but so you can with any other base including p10 ones.

Since there's no real way to find social bases other than post or search for them yourself on social media... It's kinda pointless in game, you need to go out and specifically ask people to run it and give feedback. In most cases I'd prefer to delete such base because I have plenty of sites and I really don't need depleted site on my list. That why I said it like this.

But it's a good addition, you know. My take was too... pragmatic, I guess. And social mode doesn't have good advertising and explanation in game, I should've mentioned it.

So for OP, in addition to TigBatFiddies: Social feature is good for testing your stuff in real conditions (you can search for your own social bases and run them fair, with no "build-mode" respawns) or for training special skills using your or social community maps. So, I guess, it is good to have a useless-for-other-purposes space to build some social stuff or testing new things. In that case, yeah, it's better to keep the base and use it without feeling you miss potential genmat or anything.

• hastarkis
    edited April 2023

Oh, so you say you can pay synth (that you pay anyway to prestige your bases), you refill your base but whole number of prestiges you earned so far becomes zero and you start over? Now it makes sense for me.

Good to know. It wasn't like that during tests (and was a problem people complained about), I wasn't aware they've changed it and I've been lucky enough to not be able to test it myself yet. I was sure you can't reset your base once it depleted. It's good that you aren't forced to deal with useless site. Thanks for clarification!

Then carrying over progress isn't good solution in my opinion because then p10 is just a matter of time and not a real base performance. But I really like last one solution and that one with longer life of outpost.

There is another problem: you can't force people to play your base :/ All those solutions can't protect you from not being raided, unfortunately.

Hope, they'll twist algorithms a little to help. It sucks when you just don't have enough raiders to even try to earn points.