Danger Ratings from Lasers/Plasmas is Insane

RaNdOmKiLs666
RaNdOmKiLs666 Alpha Surveyor Posts: 24
edited September 2023 in Feedback

So the Sentry Beam and Plasma Sentinel both give absurd amounts of danger rating to outposts.

For example here's the before and after of adding a single Sentry beam above the harvester path. It went from 2.5 skull to 3.5 from 1 SB.

NoLaser.png
NowLaser.png

I can't be the only one that thinks that's insane. 1 skull from a single Sentry Beam?

In the below pic I added 3 Spike traps and 3 Boltshots and the rating only went up half a skull.

HallCover.png

How is 1 SB worth more then spamming 6 other traps on the path? This has to be a bug or the SB simply has a massive danger rating and needs a massive reduction in how much danger it causes. Theoretically I could shove another 6 traps on the path before it would match the skull count of 1 SB.

The Plasma Sentinel also seems to have the same problem as the Sentry Beam.

Comments

• MadMoeZel
    MadMoeZel Member Posts: 685
    edited September 2023

difficulty calculation includes proximity to HRV path, if it has a direct LOS, how many other traps and guards share it's LOS. spike traps rarely overlap with other traps target so they're low difficulty, a laser has a cone targeting range that is really long, a sentinel has a large sphere targeting radius. so they QUICKLY multiply danger when in rooms with other defenses.

the danger system isn't very transparent so it's easy to fall into not understanding.

• RaNdOmKiLs666
    RaNdOmKiLs666 Alpha Surveyor Posts: 24

Yes but the danger system is clearly broken for the specified traps right now. It shouldn't be giving such an insane danger rating. It makes it near impossible to use these traps in normal and dangerous outposts since they massively increase the danger rating when they're not really that dangerous.

The plasma sentinel in particular is a joke after the 4 or 5 nerfs it has received. So it should not increase danger ratings this much.

• MadMoeZel

i have lasers in some bases that fire around corners and down halls over 20 blocks long. in a 1x1 hall, with multiple lasers firing down there. they are sealed in an area that you can't go into until after you collect genmat. meaning if you fire ammo at them, you lose it. you don't think that warrants a high danger level?

plasma sentinels are one of my go-to traps to bait ammo, stall slow clear players, and as part of my speedbumps as an explosive floor to stop speed runners as well as around genmat to stop shield dome camping. you don't think that warrants a high danger level?

their dangers are quite accurate. i'm sorry if you haven't seen how truly devestating they can be when used properly but the difficulty calculations are based on when they are used properly. stop just stacking them blindly on top of things, set them in isolated areas with their field of view restricted so it doesn't overlap other traps, utilize angles and max distance to bring the danger down.

the reality is those 2 traps are extremely hard for new players to deal with. which is why they nuke the difficulty out of normal so fast.

• MadMoeZel

addition - i think the correct way to handle it isn't to lower the danger of the trap, but to raise the threshold of what "normal" and "dangerous" is so things don't tip into brutal so quickly.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,778

I feel like that actually did that in the last update. You can have like 20 guards in a dangerous outpost now. You couldn't do that before.