No, every match isn't supposed to be "fun."

Options

I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of hate but I want to address what I believe leads to most of the toxicity from this community. It's the idea that many people hold in which every match is supposed to be "fun" for every individual.

Asymmetric vs games are not designed for every person to always have fun. Your fun always comes at the expense of someone else's fun. I played a bunch of matches in a row this weekend as survivor and I was sacrificed over and over and over again. Was it fun? Of course not! I got REALLY irritated after a while. But then I did finally escape and it felt great!

I know what I'm saying is totally obvious but I feel like people do feel a sense of entitlement over fun in this game. If they lose a match it's often the devs fault because something is "unbalanced." But often the issue could have been worked around had a different perk been equiped. Not saying everything in this game is perfect but I wish people could just be a little more gracious about losing matches.

Comments

• Phox
    Phox Member Posts: 206
    Options

Personally, I choose to have fun. If I take every game seriously I rarely have fun because I take the losses seriously as well. The more I meme and laugh at stupid things that happen the less I care about the outcome of the game. Maybe I get tunneled or whatever, but if I can throw a pebble in the killers face or make him look silly in some way I had a good time.

• gaydavidking
    gaydavidking Member Posts: 158
    Options

You can still have fun without letting others ruin your experience. Yeah it sucks when you're downed and hooked again immediately after being farmed, but if you shrug it off and just move onto the next one while staying positive, you'll find you have a lot more fun than people that get tilted and rage at killers in the end-game chat.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,716
    edited November 2019
    Options

Games should be fun. That's the point. People aren't going to play if they're not having fun.

The problem I have when I play survivor isn't that some matches aren't fun; it's that 99% of matches aren't fun. I don't expect to escape, but I'd like to get a chance to participate. Can't really even get better if I don't get a chance to play.

Killer is stressful, which is why I usually meme around rather than play seriously and try to sacrifice anyone. Playing I'm-a-survivor-too Pig, teabag-off Ghostface, and guarding-the-basement-chest Spirit are often just more fun, which like I said, is the point of playing a game. There's plenty of other stuff to do in life if I don't want to have fun.

• joker7997
    joker7997 Member Posts: 899
    Options

I gotta do that with bubba still, just insidious and go sit by the chest in the basement not moving until someone comes down and messes with me, and then go nuts, sounds fun lol

• Lost_in_the_Fog
    Lost_in_the_Fog Member Posts: 452
    edited November 2019
    Options

May I ask what rank you are? I had the same problem early on of always getting caught right away. I had to start playing super stealthy and ran certain perks until I got used to where and when I could be more daring.

I'm at around 400 hrs now (50/50 surv/killer) and I'm just starting to get where I can safely rescue survivors during EGC. If you'd like I can share some specific tips that helped me out.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
    Options

Every match should be fun. But that's pretty much impossible. The key, to me at least. Is learn to have fun in matches in a variety of ways. If escaping or 4k is the only way you can have fun you'll be disappointed alot.

• VincentRedfield
    VincentRedfield Member Posts: 285
    Options

A big problem is that 4k is the definition of fun for a lot of killer mains. That means 4 people need to lose consistently for 1 person to win.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,716
    edited November 2019
    Options

I've never done it with Bubba. I like using Spirit 'cause she can phase over and grab them off the chest, which is a lot of fun. Surprise! It's amazing how many survivors will take that chance even when they see me standing in the corner of the basement.

My rank is up and down, but I'm at Devotion 7. I've gotten as high as rank 4 as survivor, but I've never tried to reach red again since that one time. I think I usually don't go higher than rank 8 since then.

I'm that unlucky survivor who's usually found first. Doesn't matter if I run or creep around, if I go to a gen first thing or if I stealth around cleansing dull totems, the killer somehow comes straight to me. I had to get the Self-Unhook achievement using Slippery Meat and chalk offerings rather than Deliverance.

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358
    Options

I stopped trying so hard to escape and the game got a lot more fun. I like playing killer but for now just messing around im having more fun with survivor. Even 4%ing off the hook into the killers face made me laugh. Killer was patrolling trying to find a survivor she slugged. Jumped off the hook took 2 steps and spirit was in my face. I think i surprised her too.

• Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,037
    Options

Because someone always Brings a gun to the knife fight.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,545
    Options

Yes, every match IS supposed to be fun. There are people in the world who don't want others to have fun, and their version of fun are making others miserable. Some of those people play Dead by Daylight. You will know when you are with those people, and you will not have fun playing Dead By Daylight.

There are very few times in which I didnt have fun due to normal circumstances, it was usually due to a persons purposeful intent to ensure that I wanted to leave the match unhappy.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    Options

Agreed.

4k is how you win.

But just because you lost doesn't mean the match wasn't fun.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275
    Options

While I broadly agree that games should be fun, the goalpost for what equals "fun" is very different, depending on the kind of game we're talking about.

Super Mario Odyssey is a fun game, moment to moment, because you're exploring a huge open world, constantly discovering new things, and bouncing from challenge to challenge. If you get frustrated at something, you can go do something else and come back to it later. There is always a path toward simple, unbridled fun in a game like that.

World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy XIV are fun, because you're making steady linear progress and checking lots of boxes and you get stronger by inches.

Dead by Daylight has more in common with the kind of fun that you derive from a fighting game, or a MOBA, or a real-world sport. You're competing against fellow human beings, and attempting to win a hard-fought victory. Sometimes you get your rear end handed to you, and sometimes that can be very demoralizing. But sometimes you do well, and your practice and persistence pays off, and you are the better player that day.

These are all different kinds of fun that appeal to different people and different personalities. Some people don't like competitive games. But just because "fun" means a different thing for them than it does for Super Mario Odyssey or World of Warcraft, doesn't mean these games aren't fun in their way. Fun does not have a one-size-fits-all definition; it is subjective for the person and the nature of the activity.

• ekto
    ekto Member Posts: 103
    Options

LOL

• MissGamer456
    MissGamer456 Member Posts: 154
    Options

My definition of a fun match in THIS GAME is when everyone can make a decent amount of bloodpoints (Like 20k+) and the game goes at a normal pace. Like everyone should be on death hook when match is close to ending and if you get caught you get caught if you escape you escape (no slugging useless it necessary like you got two people down or something you want that 4K. You earn that because you played fair. (Now There are some games when you could hook everyone twice before there’s even 4-3 gens left typically I would just kill off two and slow but surely either kill of the other two or left them escape) again I don’t sweaty of a 4K every game.

(camping or tunneling is just a cheap strategy I feel like if you do this and the game just start throughout the entire game you didn’t earn your kills) you have no right to say EZ get rekt

(If you just hid all game being immerse asf never got hook, never took chase, can’t run a killer so you bring killer to other teammate that are trying to do other things, waited until everyone die to get hatch or left behind people who did most of the work and escape. You didn’t earn that escape) again you have no right to tell Killer EZ you’re bad

If No ones Is Gen Rushing and No One is Sweating for 4k or being selfish and self-absorb for (hatch, escape or kills) I feel the game would feel less stressful on both ends like wins are earn and deserved during a nice pace game. Like you have a good juke or chases but you got caught in the end lol. I hate people who try to end the game too fast like a good match is like 10-15mins maybe longer. I could careless if I live or die or if I kill all 4 survivors or not.

My best matches are me just chilling with Survivors or killers. Like one side did something hilarious and we just look at each other like #########. I feel like some people should feel this way instead of being competitive all the time. Like Meme around a little try out fun builds it’s okay to lose once in a while.

• joker7997
    joker7997 Member Posts: 899
    Options

The biggest problem with this game is the players, both sides. I dont care anymore and I laugh at the what I'm sure are real winner at life douches on the other side of the toxic pixels, but it took me awhile to get here. I think survivors are way worse because there is 4 of them and it's a gang up mentality or something, but the taunting in this game is ridiculous. And sometimes killers are just aholes. If everyone could chill out this game would be much more enjoyable.

• Sherry
    Sherry Member Posts: 227
    Options

A fun match for me is one that doesn't end instantly. Where you have a chance to play the game and contribute. I'm a survivor main, so I figure it's the same for killers. They want a chance to play and not have the game ending instantly. I don't have to escape to have an enjoyable game. It is nice though. :)

• InfinyMage
    InfinyMage Member Posts: 236
    Options

I agree not every match is meant to be fun. My fun when playing the killer is not based on how many kills i get. Most fun i have is in chases. Not actually killing.

I recently started playing survivor and i could careless about escaping. I have the most fun when im able to juke the killer and watching as they pass me by when im literally just crouched a hair lenght away. Or when I tank the hit for a survivor that's on death hook and theyre able to survive a bit longer if not completely get away.

While theres llenty of unfun scenarios out there, I dont enjoy steamrolls or quick games. Thats not what i want when i load this game up and play either side.

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703
    edited November 2019
    Options

Had 3 matches this morning: Used Freddy to get a daily and had two survivor matches.

My killer match involved some arch joker running around clicking a flashlight who naturally had DS as a perk.

The Survivor games were both VS Spirit, both with the legendary prayer beads...along with BBQ&C and Ruin.

None of the games were fun.

I also find myself getting snappy with people if I'm getting irritated by a game.

I unlocked all the teachables today...so I don't need to obsessively grind so much.

Going to still play DBD...just less. When it's no longer fun, it's time to have a rest.

I love horror and enjoy being creative, so I'll spend time on other things.

Only play a game if you have fun playing it.

• Wubsyy__
    Wubsyy__ Member Posts: 116
    Options

Games should be fun though. If a video game isn't fun, what's stopping people from playing something else that's more enjoyable?

• HeyZeus
    HeyZeus Member Posts: 14
    Options

DBD is fun. All around fun. If you don't like it then go back to COD where ya belong.

• TheRockstarKnight
    TheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 2,171
    Options

I think you're conflating having fun with winning. Maybe they're the same for you, but for me I can have fun and lose as long as whatever I'm taking part in is enjoyable.

While yes, nobody should expect to win every or even most matches, it is not unreasonable to expect every match of DbD to be fun. Games are supposed to be fun.

• TATAHARAMBE
    TATAHARAMBE Member Posts: 120
    Options

I don't care if I win or not while playing as a killer, but I love protecting the basement chest as bubba and at the same time I like killing 1 or 2 survivors who try to get the item.

• dbizzle
    dbizzle Member Posts: 96
    Options

so why am i playing this video GAME then?

• premiumRICE
    premiumRICE Member Posts: 798
    Options

I just want to get back to my rank 1 every season 🤑

• Gorgonia
    Gorgonia Member Posts: 1,607
    Options

So you’re saying I need to turn on my PS4 and open the game knowing I don’t deserve to have fun in every match I play? Oh man... I might as well play something else.

Having fun is not the same as winning, btw... I could have lots of fun and die in the end, or I could have lots of fun and hook only one person.

• Gorgonia
    Gorgonia Member Posts: 1,607
    Options

DBD is super fun. Players are the ones that make it unbearable at times.

• Nyaren_Chan
    Nyaren_Chan Member Posts: 243
    Options

At the end as long as i manage to do at least one thing to help somebody or contributes, i am happy. That's exactly the point, in this game you will get ######### games and sometimes die in the first 5 minutes without doing much..

• Lost_in_the_Fog
    Options

Wow, I want to thank everyone who made this a really great discussion on how you view the game.

To everyone who chose to personally insult me, thank you for showing the rest of us who the toxic people are. It's nice to see they really are a small minority.

Just to clarify, I don't define winning as having fun. I did acknowledge that it can be irritating to lose many matches in a row. My post was merely meant to inspire those who do define winning = fun to maybe look at the game from a different viewpoint.

• arslaN
    arslaN Member Posts: 1,936
    Options

What's the point of playing dbd or any other game if it isn't supposed to be fun?

• Lost_in_the_Fog
    Options

I never said the game isn't supposed to be fun. Just that not every match will always be fun. This is in many ways meant to address those who disconnect from matches because they aren't "having fun." I don't know what your matches have been like lately, but it seems to be a growing problem that really can ruin things for everyone else.

• arslaN
    arslaN Member Posts: 1,936
    Options

Disconnecting is absolutely not justified because someone isn't having fun.

Everything should be designed with the intention of being fun to play and fun to play against. If other players are ruining your fun, it's understandable but if something is designed unfun then it is a problem.

• Rezblaze
    Rezblaze Member Posts: 843
    Options

This entire post is based on the idea that Winning = Fun, which is what most people throw at people who criticise the game.

"Oh, you aren't having fun? Guess that means you just want to win every match, huh?"

A match that goes for thirty seconds is just as unfulfilling as a match that drags on for thirty minutes.

A game's entire purpose is to be fun or engaging. If it isnt fun, there isn't a point for it. Its failed as a game. I don't play games for a chance to have fun.

That's the issue with DbD. So much fun relies on flukes. So much of the game's entertainment relies on factors outside the player's control.

• gamerscrybecauseofme
    Options

The OP is right. Games like this are not going to be fun for everyone at all times. Any opinion contrary to this, is based on entitlement and/or idealism.

Someone posted that being chased for a long time is fun for them, therefore doesn't have fun when downed in under 20 seconds, which is going to happen often.

I know kilers that find it fun to camp and tunnel, so don't find it fun when borrowed time, body blocking or a good looping run happen.

The bottom line of this game, is you'll lose often, for lots of different reasons. Instead of being a whiney entitled poop shoot, just accept this and move in to the next game. You're not entitled to your version of fun in every PvP game, unless your idea of fun is all the PVP elements

• OogieBoogie
    OogieBoogie Member Posts: 189
    Options

"Your fun always comes at the expense of someone else's fun."

Sure, if you're a sadist.

• Knuckles
    Knuckles Member Posts: 218
    Options

As long as I did better than the previous match I consider that a "win".

• AGuyNamedKane
    AGuyNamedKane Member Posts: 71
    edited November 2019
    Options

I just enjoy a good challenge. The better the killer or survivor, the better I have to play the game. That's what I enjoy. I don't care if I'm sacrificed. Just so long as I'm improving myself in one way or another.

Edit: Spelling.

• TKTK
    TKTK Member Posts: 943
    Options

Exactly OP, but you'll still get people starting threads saying the killer is not fun to play against which seems to be the new "nerf it devs" threads and killers saying it about flashlights or medkits. This game isn't always fun it's engaging just like certain movies aren't always fun to watch but they keep your interest. I hope the dev stream isn't a confirmation of what is to come when they said they want "everyone to have a good time" cause you just can't please everyone and it makes it look like the "it's not fun" threads may be getting entertained by the devs which is scary.

• ppo8820
    ppo8820 Member Posts: 763
    Options

That’s the issue. 99% of games as you rank up are not fun at all. I don’t know if a lot of kids are off school right now, but the game is nearly unplayable this week. I’m rank 7 and every game is either a trapper, ghost face, bubba, or wraith. They all camp, run multipolar hexes, and tunnel like you wouldn’t believe. Once on the hook you’ll be privy to being face camped. Wraiths bonging their bell over and over, bubbas revving their chainsaw over and over.

Then with the matchmaking, after 5–10 min to get into lobby, I’m matched with rank 14-17s who don’t do anything. This has been every single game.

You can try to say the games unbalanced and certain killer perks are op and should be only unlocked at red ranks, but then killer mains will rush to your post to insult you, say “git gud”, or something of that nature. I get it, they’re defending the game being easy and want it to stay that way. The whole thing is a mess and I’m considering moving on. It’s not been fun at all.

• ppo8820
    Options

That would be awesome. I just want to get some points and objectives. I’m not worried about winning, but I’d like to be able to play a bit.

• ppo8820
    Options

This game seems to attract those people. They like to make the game as unfun as possible. Says a lot about what they must be like in person.