Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Hitboxes, A Very Polite Request

Could BVHR please see fit to dedicate more resources to fixing/creating proper hitboxes and ditch the goofy, frustrating 'hit cone' detection? It would be much appreciated. Since the dedicated servers have come out, this issue has become far more obvious than it was prior. At one point, most people assumed it was due to the game's original peer-to-peer setup, but others knew it was a far more serious issue. So, I will ask one more time, what are the odds of having proper hitboxes unique to all killer attacks that make sense and do not appear deceiving? For once, I'd like to have a game where I don't question more than half of the hits slipping through when playing as or against killers.

Important note: This issue is particularly disgusting with huntress hatchets. They are gigantic squares nearly two and a half times the size of the actual weapon.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Comments

• Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,047
    edited November 2019

It runs a 2 check system iirc.

1. Checks to see if action is available
    2. Let's you perform action
    3. Checks to see if Action is still Valid
    4. Latency between Survivor and Killer
    5. Action Results.

This is why you'll be out of the way or in direct contact with someone and clearly shouldn't miss or hit someone. Same with getting hit. It's why perks like Dead Hard don't actually have I Frames, but are not longer in the valid area of attack.

• Eleghost
    Eleghost Member Posts: 1,103

Dead hard does have iframes during the animation, the devs have said this.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

the huntress hatches are shaped like a ball, actually.

they need to be this was too, since the survivor hitbox is nothing but an upstanding pill in their middle. however, this pill does not change like the animations do, so when a survivor is injured and running, they heavily lean to the front, though their hitbox actually doesnt fit with their body. the ball formed hatchets allow you to hit them by hitting their playermodel, since the ball hitbox collides with the pill hitbox, leading to a hit.

the devs "fixed" the hatchet hitboxes at one point, so they matched the model of the hatchet, and said hatchets would continuously fly straight through the survivors bodies without damaging them, which was a lot worse than now.

btw, the reason why some hatchet hits looks so bad is, because the survivors playmodel is leaning forwards, while the pill stands tall in their middle and the hatchet hit the pill on their back, so it looks like it missed while the hitboxes did collide properly.

in order to fix this they would need to completely rework survivor hitboxes, which would end up greatly reducing their looping potential, as they wouldnt be able to hug walls and obstacles as well as they can now.

fixing hitboxes is something you cant just do from one day to the other, it would have huge impacts on the game, which is why they probaply wont do it.

• rch614
    rch614 Member Posts: 551

Hitboxes need adjustments. It's even more painfully obvious with the current dedicated servers. The amount of BS hits I'm getting....

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

Please do. The hitbox is more like a semi truck. A hatchet 20 ft above my head shouldn't connect.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited November 2019

People bring this up over and over and over. There is nothing wrong with the hitboxes.

The issue is ping. The reason we are seeing it worse now is because their dedicated servers aren't the best.

"Important note: This issue is particularly disgusting with huntress hatchets. They are gigantic squares nearly two and a half times the size of the actual weapon."

Huntresses hitboxes are completely fine. The community overall even regards her as one of the most balanced killers in the game. Their hitboxes are large because she requires a lot of skill to play well and can be dodged quite easily.

Post edited by Blueberry on
  • HamdaN
    HamdaN Member Posts: 343
  • Eleghost
    Eleghost Member Posts: 1,103

because the iframes aren't immediately on activation.

• BadMrFrosty
    BadMrFrosty Member Posts: 1,100

The issue isn't whether or not huntress is balanced, overpowered, etc. I for one do not believe she's overpowered, but her hitboxes need adjustments (as do those of the rest of the cast - killer and survivor alike). Honestly, a rework/creation of new hitboxes that actually match what we're seeing would be the best thing to come to this game. I can barely judge distance accurately half the time anymore post dedicated servers, since now I'm getting spicy hit in situations where I know it shouldn't be possible. It's getting a tad irritating to be honest. Hit cones and hit pills need to go, and a proper, thorough rework of the game's hitboxes would be the greatest gift we could receive.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

First they should disable the Dedicated Servers. But sadly they are ignoring every request for that, it is ok that PC players suffer I guess. But hey, at least they are there in Fall 2019! They are ######### and nobody really likes them, but yes, they are there.

Regarding the Hits: There are two things that are really annoying:

If it is Lag or Hitboxes, whatever, but Hits though Windows which are on higher Floors are really, really bad. Like yesterday I jumped out of the Vault Spot of those broken Trucks on the Autohaven Maps, got my Balanced Landing and still got hit by the Killer, while I was already on the ground. Getting hit midair at the big Vault on The Game also happened more than once.

Also, through Windows, you lose Momentum, even after Fast Vaulting. This results in some Hits which should not hit, you can clearly see that the Character is set back for a really brief moment. So even if you play the WIndow perfectly and get a legit fast vault, you will get hit. This is not a Dedicated Server Issue, this was an Issue they even talked about when introducing Medium Vaults, but they never fixed it. But I have the feeling that Dedicated Servers made it worse.

So yeah, ######### those Servers I guess.

• Blueberry

After you play long enough the hitboxes are very predictable. What you're requesting would be a massive undertaking and cause a lot of balance issues when the hitboxes aren't even much of an issue. The real issue causing all this is ping.

You also say you don't think Huntress should be nerfed but what you are requesting would nerf her tremendously. Her hatchets need that large of a hitbox. I don't know how long you've been playing but a while back they actually tried changing her hatchet hitboxes to match her hatchet exactly and it caused a lot more issues which is why they changed them back.

• Awakey
    Awakey Member Posts: 3,145
    edited November 2019

It's not hitboxes. It's latency. On the Killer's end, they hit you. Maybe not on yours, but the game favors the Killer in this instance.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

As Killer you also get Hits which simply look wrong.

• BadMrFrosty
    BadMrFrosty Member Posts: 1,100

To answer how long I've been playing: TOO LONG. GET ME OUT.

In all seriousness, with proper hitboxes across the board for survivors/killers, huntress would likely remain just as she is (even if her hatchets were changed to be, y'know, hatchets). I'm not suggest that this fix go through without looking at survivor hitboxes as well, of course. That would be a harsh nerf for no reason. Basically, I want what I'm seeing on screen to match the end result. Ping does play a part, but I'm convinced that fixing or reworking the hitboxes could alleviate most of this frustration.

• Awakey
    Awakey Member Posts: 3,145

Yes. That's because on the Survivor's end, you hit them.

• Blueberry
    edited November 2019

I guess I would need to see a video as evidence of a hitbox issue as everything in my experience has been ping related that was called a hitbox issue.

Have you seen the dev stream where they went over her hatchet hitboxes? They even brought up a video to show and explain it.