Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Looking into who Killer 18 is

HealsBadMan
HealsBadMan Member Posts: 1,122
edited November 2019 in Lore

So firstly, is the new killer the Spirit's dad, Mr. Yamaoka? Its a popular theory, but on the wiki under both pages for Rin and her parents it is stated the Entity passed him over in favor for Rin- her hatred and wrath was a better fuel source than his despair. Note this is from the wiki, so unless someone has a more concrete source like dev confirmation this is what I'm going off of.

"Sensing greater potential in Rin's rage than her father's despair, The Entity, having originally chosen him to become its new Killer, chose his daughter over him instead." ( https://deadbydaylight.gamepedia.com/Mr_and_Mrs_Yamaoka#Mr_Yamaoka_-_Rin.27s_Father)

Second popular theory is the first Yamaoka- the ancestor referenced in the lore for the Family Residence map. As many people pointed out in other forum posts, the description mentions the Hannya mask (demonic oni) and the family katana, both items the devs have pointed out in the recent trailers.

"Yamaoka joined the battlefield and unleashed hell on his foes. No one could match the raw fury of his Katana, which elevated him to a legend. They say his devilish mask haunted the dreams of all men." (https://deadbydaylight.gamepedia.com/Yamaoka_Estate)

Seeing as how the Spirit is based off of onryo, Japanese spirits of wrath and vengance, it makes sense there would be a similar in depth look at whatever Yamaoka #2 will be based on- which at first look appears to be the mask in the teaser trailer, an Oni/Hannya mask- Japanese ogres. Interesting thought- has the mask ever been confirmed to be either an oni or Hannya mask? If oni then the ancestor is more likely, if hannya then possibly Spirit's mom?

About the mask itself, there are some details that we can derive from it. It's a deep shade of red, characterizing it as an evil demon, completely non-human (no surprise there). The color can also mean rage and vengance, specifically for someone who has gone through deep, traumatizing experiences (so all the Yamaokas we know :p). Important distinction: oni and hannya masks are the same thing but differentiate the genders, with oni being for men and hannya being for women. Hannya masks are most famously used in Japanese theater to represent scorned women who transformed into demons due to hatred or vengeance. (Look up the Legend of Kiyohime).

If the new killer is based off an ogre, then they'll most likely be big and brutish- the size of Demogorgon or Trapper. We have leaks of their audio from the ingame code, where the killer is code named 'Sweden'. The file {sfx_killer_sweden_fs_run}, the footsteps of the killer, sound like a fast and heavy killer. The other audio files are a little more confusing, but basically they're enviromental SFX (maybe a new Yamaoka map? or an edit to the current one). Info is from Leaks By Daylight! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yG0QNV8mAA)

This is what I've compiled so far- let me know what you think! I'll also probably be editing this as new info pops up, either official or good comments!

UPDATE #1: As many of you probably know by now, Leaks By Daylight put the 3.4.0 PTB patch notes out, which confirm a new Yamaoka map (Sanctum of Wrath), a new survivor (Yui Kimura), and the name of the new Killer, The Oni. Also confirmed are some details about the power (An ability called Demon Strike- an aspect of the power like Pig's Ambush or the entire power itself? There's also Sweden code leaks that mention a 'one shot' mode or attack, possibly this one), a stance known as Demon Mode (was speculated with ingame code leaks with the normal_mode and crazy_mode sections, possibly a switch stance aspect like Doctor's Treatment and Punishment), and one addon called Renjiro's Bloody Glove. This confirms and supports some of the information I presented above- specifically about the Oni mask (since its confirmed, this Killer is most likely male). (https://twitter.com/leakbydaylight/status/1196505966524715008)

Side Note: The Oni's Demon Strike can attack/hurt survivors- AKA The Killer can use DS on Survivors XD

Post edited by HealsBadMan on

Comments

• TheHourMan
    TheHourMan Member Posts: 1,052

I suspect the new killer will be called The Demon rather than The Oni. DbD doesn't usually use culturally specific names for their killers. This is why Rin is named The Spirit rather than The Onryo.

• Avilgus
    Avilgus Member Posts: 1,261
    edited November 2019

Good theory !