Why a ranking system in a horror game?

As the title suggests, it's a confusing idea. At least for me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the game's ultimately goal is to survive or kill. Why rank it? I find it odd how that's ranked. I understand ranking other games , but why a survival horror game such as dead by daylight? Why would a horror game have ranking system when the correct objective for survivors is to try and not die, while the killers is to try and kill. I dunno, maybe this is a dumb discussion, but I'm just speaking my mind. If you think ranking is a good idea, please. Tell me your reasons, I'm curious

Comments

• LuckySors
    LuckySors Member Posts: 33

Well its flawed rn but its meant to act as a queuing system too, thus survivors will be matched with killers of the same rank or “skill” so a 1000 hour killer doesnt destroy a team of 4 hour noobs.

• Angelicus23
    Angelicus23 Member Posts: 2,547

To guess who gets scared the less and who scares the more

• YummySushiPJs
    YummySushiPJs Member Posts: 18

Why would somebody who has hours and hours of in game experience want to play with somebody who’s just installed the game for the first time? It’s no fun for either of the people involved. Having a ranking system makes total sense to me. This is why I hate rank reset as a killer, as I always end up with genuine potatoes in my lobby and it’s no fun for me as I’m used to going against rank 1-4 survivors.

• Monlyth
    Monlyth Member Posts: 982

One-sided slaughters aren't very thrilling, because if there's no hope of victory, why would you even play?

One-sided games pitting veteran survivors against noob killers aren't very thrilling either, because the survivors never actually feel like they're in danger.

• rch614
    rch614 Member Posts: 551

It's a horror game but in the end it is still PvP. PvP games need ranking to help keep the new players away from the seasoned ones, especially if the game doesn't have a casual mode and bases queueing off the ranking system as well.

• DwarvenTavern
    DwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,495

I get the first part, but the second part I don't. Well, I suppose there is a chance you'll run into survivors like that, but mostly it's just positive reactions or toxic reactions.

• Monlyth
    Monlyth Member Posts: 982

Well, have you seen what it's like when red-ranked survivors play against a brand-new Killer? The killer will be lucky to land even a single blow on them.

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125

Dbd is a competetive game, atleast it trys to be one. But Dbd has alot of aspects that requieres a high skill cap and many players cant learn or need alot of time to learn them such as mindgames, gen protection strategys, looping etc.

Even if ranks right now are not that well working you can cleary see the difference between rank 20 and rank 1 players. I would personally dont play dbd without a ranking system .

• DwarvenTavern

I get what you're saying, but it can get countered fairly easily. I was rank nine and I was put against red ranks. Now I'm seven and it's just constant red ranks, that one makes slightly more sense

• DwarvenTavern

I have seen it, experienced it too. I do get what you mean. I just find it odd that it's as one person stated a pvp, while it's obviously true. It just feels odd. It just feels like a competitive mess. I wish it felt like more of a horror game instead of meta free for all.