Why are immersive players looked down upon?

13»

Comments

• Buttercake
    Buttercake Member Posts: 1,652

It's frustrating when you do 3+ gens by yourself and you have the least BP.

• BunnyTheHutt
    BunnyTheHutt Member Posts: 1,773

Simple: Immersed players are usually the ones who don't do ######### all game. They crouch around the map and hide but never unhook or do gens. They run away the second they hear the heartbeat and you'll never see them again.

For killers they are annoying because they just hide all game, so unless you know where they are with a perk you'll rarely ever find them till they are the last alive.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,723

I don't want your FunYuns, I want you to recognise a joke.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,259

It takes zero skill to run spine chill and urban (perks you say you run ) and hide from the killer all game while everyone else has to carry you to victory , the people who are running the killer are giving you a chance to have that playstyle in the first place by occupying more of the killers time while gens are done otherwise everyone would be crouching the whole game and nothing would get done, you want to know why they shouldn't rank up? Get 4 people on the same team who try to be stealthy and avoid the killer. I'll bet more than 2 gens won't get done if someone isn't keeping the killer focused.

• Always gonna be salty people who pride themselves on skill over all else, in an online game you'll have nothing to show for when the game is dead. No matter how you look at, it's entertainment meant to kill time. If you're that hung on skill and whining about people not playing the game through whatever narrow logical window you've created, then I'd say the bigger issue is you, and not others. But hey, keep living the dream.

• aregularplayer
    aregularplayer Member Posts: 906

because most survivors don't really like to play the game. some rather hiding than playing other rather gen rushing than having a game lasting more than 5 minutes. the point is, both of them don't like the game itself: the killer x survivor interaction (the only meaningful gameplay in dbd imo)

• Freesham
    Freesham Member Posts: 262

I don't know if this was mentioned yet but often when I'm killer there's that one survivor who's always staying hidden, and I only chase the other survivors. So a lot of times 2-3 survivors die before I hook the survivor that's hiding the whole game. I think it's good for survivors to distribute the hookings so you can remain 4 survivors strong as long as possible, rather than letting a couple of survivors die early.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

There are two types of stealthy players:

1. Those who do nothing the entire trial except stay hidden then take an easy hatch/gate that everyone else worked for.
    2. Those who stay hidden, but help with all the objectives (including totems and unhooks).

Both are looked down upon, but for very different reasons.

Nobody likes 1 for obvious reasons - they don't help.

The reason some people don't like 2, however, is much different. See, the majority of players are under the (mistaken) impression that you absolutely need to loop if you're going to play survivor. Since 2 not only don't loop (because they're never spotted) but also contribute to all the objectives and usually survive (because they're never hooked), it angers some of those same people; after all, 2 are doing things differently and succeeding, which shouldn't be possible.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,017

Too many times where i had to rely on 4% to help me unhook myself cause the random P3 claudette’s on my team think working on that dull totem and working on gens against a killer who isn’t even camping is more important than getting another person into the game again

• OtakuBurrito
    OtakuBurrito Member Posts: 512

Because me killer me 4K

• Meg_Survivor
    Meg_Survivor Member Posts: 199

Some players are all about themselves and never want to unhook you until the last minute, and then when you finally get off the hook you get smacked right back down by the killer. It can be very frustrating at times. I had one survivor help me on a gen that blew it up 3 times and was just running around the map not helping with any gens. It can be hard to work with others , but even if your a good survivor sometimes people still have something bad to say

• JustCats
    JustCats Member Posts: 298

As killer I prefer the immersive stealthy types cause then I get to use my eyes and ears. I'll usually have some idea of the general area and then I get to be a murder monster actually stalking prey. The most fun games I've had were ones where I had to make a serious effort at actually hunting survivors.

The survivors that run up and point/flashlight click or make no effort to not be seen and just want to play duck duck goose around a pile of trash - I mean, I gotta do it cause that's the game, but looping is godawful boring. I'm not entirely sure how that became the skill defining metric, but c'est la vie.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,017

If the obsession is being chased and they are still doing it does that count?

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

I generally prefer a stealthy playstyle myself. When I do that I usually have the top score whether I live or not. It's honestly a deeply misunderstood play style.

• Thrax
    Thrax Member Posts: 974

I think we have to accept we aren't all good at the same things and that different things are going through our minds at a given point. Someone could be testing a build or a different strategy. They may not have faced a killer enough to know counter play or they could actually be nervous. There is a million reasons for doing anything and when we assume the worst nothing good will come of it. You stress yourself out and are more likely to attack others.

If you can't really change something you have to learn to live with it or do without it.

• casonius
    casonius Member Posts: 29

The problem is that (especially at high ranks) playing immersed wastes way too much time. Killers usually customize their settings as least somewhat so they see people easier, whether brightness, gamma, or genuine cheating, they're all incredibly common sadly.

It sounds real nice to say that immersed player simply hide when the killer is on them, but they consistently waste time crouching prematurely or getting off gens before they're done. The only reason you get so much ######### done being immersed is BECAUSE other people arent. so you crouch, killer checks near you, you crouch some more, you get nothing done, meanwhile a teammate is actually on a gen and then when they get chased you do the gen. You didn't win because of your immersed gameplay, your teammate won for you, and you live at their expense.

Crouching and hiding all the time just costs way too much time anyway, and there's no reason for it unless you're on death hook. There's a reason good players only start playing immersed on death hook, because only then is getting caught bad for the team, before that you just gotta push objectives and hope the killer doesn't go to you. If everybody / everybody except one person plays immersed, it's a matter of time til the killer picks everybody off.

At rank one there are plenty of people, myself included that just aren't very good at looping. but if you just get on the gens you will generally win. And if the killer does come near you, you run him for a bit and even if you go down after only 20s of chase, that's gonna cost the killer like 35s total, during which your team is pushing gens cus they're not immersed. What's the issue with getting caught like that? 1-2 gens get done and you get unhooked. compare that to you crouching away, the killer catching a teammate, and you and the gang are all still crouching around.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm telling you; at rank 1 there's a lot of terrible loopers, but very few immersed players.

Besides, the only way you get better at looping is by doing it.

P.S. immersed gamers also tend to do all the safe gens first and then at the end everybody dies because now the killer just runs around the same 3 unsafe gens.

• Playing stealthily can be fun, but what I see people forget, and what I learned the hard way in a lot of games was that the key to pipping isn't avoiding getting found so much as capitalizing on wasting the killer's time. Hiding from a killer CAN be effective, but it's truly a gamble in many situations, and so many survivors neglect to consider what perks a killer may have nor do they account for straight up blind luck. Experienced killers are more likely to check niche hiding spots or clear all the way around obstacles when sweeping.

As intoxicating and tempting it can be to try and hide around a gen you were working that a killer came to, making the decision to hide or run favors running more often than not. If you run, the killer is gonna need to catch up to you, if you manage to pallet stun or vault a window, you're only wasting more of their time before they get that first hit off. You'll get your sprint burst and even if you get downed immediately, you still wasted a good 20-30 seconds of the killer's time if they hook you. If you hide and are found, you'll get hit immediately and waste significantly less of the killer's time before you're downed. I literally have lost count of the number of situations I could have escaped had I had 10 more seconds.

• asimplelegion
    asimplelegion Member Posts: 66

I immerse and will get an unhook when necessary and do gens mostly but I’m no blendette who hides in the bush the whole time

• Toybasher
    Toybasher Member Posts: 911
    edited June 2020

Nothing wrong with being immersed provided you're still contributing to the team in some way.

I'm bad at chases and I play immersed but almost always get a gold or iri lightbringer. I play Tapp with Detective's Hunch, Stake Out, Prove Thyself, and Better Together and I'm always on a gen or totems.

EDIT: I do look down upon blendettes who literally do nothing and just hide and wait for everyone else to die to grab hatch.

• H3xB0rr0w3dT1m3
    H3xB0rr0w3dT1m3 Member Posts: 189

Yes, i’d much rather you just heal me at the hook. Chances are the killer is on the other side of the map or chasing somebody

• Orion

Not really, no. I'm sure you've seen more than one survivor looping the killer around the hook.

• Orion

Same. And when I survive I get flak from someone running nothing but second-chance perks who ended up dead anyway.

• Squirrel_Thicc
    Squirrel_Thicc Member Posts: 2,677

Idc if someone on my team is immersed as long as they're not useless.

• Funny how it's always clowns like this that flame the most. I've lost count of the number of games I run with all 3 other survivors running Dead Hard, Unbreakable, Decisive Strike and Sprint Burst/Borrowed Time going for the sketchiest saves in our solar system only to have all of them get dropped around the same hook. In what universe does that ######### actually work?

• Kolonite
    Kolonite Member Posts: 1,346

I play the most immersed survivor. Ghostface

• konchok
    konchok Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,719

If you're maintaining stealth the whole game, you'll just be single hooked. And when that happens, know that you cost the team the match. It's important to attract attention to yourself if you haven't been hooked and your team mates have. Now the inverse of this is true. If you're the type of person that wants to be tunneled into the ground. If you die before the second to last generator was complete you also cost your team the match.

• HealsBadMan
    HealsBadMan Member Posts: 1,122

Preach brother. But regardless if you were the hero or not, people are gonna hate you for being immersed, especially if you're playing Claudette. I remember one match where I did four totems and two gens by myself- Killer ends up downing the others and kills three of us (myself included) before closing the hatch and using NOED on the last guy. End game chat was filled with racial and sexist slurs against me (even though im a white guy playing a black woman) for being immersed. Only 'immersion' perk i brought was Spine Chill. FML.

(Don't even get me started on OoO. Everytime I try running it, its an instant tunnel and facecamp.)

At the end of the day, its a toxic community of players, and playing a certain character or a certain playstyle will lead to an ######### killer 9 times out of 10.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,259

The only thing I dislike about the 2nd group is that if you have more than one with that playstyle the game will come to a standstill because the killer will just patrol gens until they find you and most of the time (but not always) those players with that style cant run the killer so its usually a quick down when it does happen

• OldHunterLight
    OldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,001

This is something that has happened to me while playing killer, so I hooked someone, left because I had MYC and devour hope on wraith, someone unhooked and immediately stealth away, no scratchmarks or anything but I was able to see the recent hooked survivor from like 30 meters away, I wasn't going to waste time against a stealth blendy going around of the map when I just saw the other guy.

Felt bad because sometimes I play survivor and sometimes I get to meet nice killers that actually apologize when tunneling.

Is it my fault that someone else was hiding and I had LOS on the recently hooked survivor? I had no intention to tunnel so I downed and slug, after I went for the rest I gave hatch to that survivor.