Dev's Say They Expect Generators Not To Last In The First 4 Minutes

Options
NullEXE
NullEXE Member Posts: 1,632

This was just said in the Livestream, my concern is that it's the lack of early game pressure for most killers is what is causing problems with the Gatekeeper emblem, and scoring. If the developers expect 1-2 generators to be repaired in the first 4 minutes, why does that penalize the Killer in the Gatekeeper emblem?

Comments

• Nobsyde
    Nobsyde Member Posts: 1,288
    edited January 2020
    Options

they also said that there is a memorandum (sorry I couldn't remember the exact word they used) to create maps that aren't too big, and I suppose to rework those that currently are accordingly.

If that is the case I can accept the statement you are talking about - yeah, early game will be much shorter but at the same time it will be more difficult for survivors to go through the mid game, which is arguably the most interactive part of the game anyway.

Plus once they will nerf toolboxes I expect the game to become a bit slower (well, that's depending on how they'll nerf those, though).

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536
    Options

Gatekeeper has been changed

• Nobsyde
    edited January 2020
    Options

you may not use them, but there are 4 survivors in a game ;).

As far as the very slow rework on maps.. I can't disagree with that, but still, that's what we're stuck with. I suggested in the past to disable from the pick rotation certain maps before their rework, since it's not like we lack variety right now, and I still think it could be a perfectly fine band-aid for the time being.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options
  • Nobsyde
    edited January 2020
    Options

I see your point, but it's a bit silly that in the same post you say that by nerfing toolboxes you can alleviate the problem, but not fix it, while at the same time stating that changing window layout of certain maps is better than nothing.

Why do you have two very different opinions of the same concept? Especially considering that the big issue is how big maps are (but you are absolutely right, windows and pallets are a component as well), which remains basically unaffected by window relocation, while a toolbox nerf at least addresses the exact issue: gen speed.

P.S. I use Unity, not Unreal, but I'm fairly sure that things work similarly so what I would like to say is: refrain from saying things like "it takes 5 minutes to close a window", because it doesn't, not from a design point of view, not from a technical point of view. We as players can and should be vocal on what we want to see changed, but let's be humble and admit that we don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

• NullEXE
    Options

Can you elaborate on that update though, it's confusing because it doesn't sound like it impacts a lot on the early game as opposed to the endgame.

Gatekeeper Emblem: Flattened score value of all remaining generators so now all generators are worth the same amount (1 point per minute) regardless of the duration that they remain in the match. Also added an additional score for both gate remaining unopened at the end of the match.

Like with the slow killers walking across the map at the start of the match. 1-2 generators can (and do) explode in the first 40-80 seconds of the match. By taking that update by word you would get 0-2 points for either of those generators, and then only 3 points per minute the rest of the match - it doesn't sound like much of a difference from before at all. How many points do you get for the doors? Sorry i'm not trying to nit-pick, but just confused.

• NullEXE
    Options

Also since the update I do more often get Silver Gatekeeper - which is good, so i'm seeing the update is working as intended, but I Rarely go over that, which I imagine is because the first 2 generators go so quickly, and the Killer having very little ability to do anything about it. Even when I play Legion. Big maps are still a nightmare.

• Perelie
    Perelie Member Posts: 433
    Options

The whole emblem system is terribly flawed, the amount of matches where I get 3 to 4 kills and still barely safety (sometimes even depip) is insane. Of course meanwhile it's extremely easy for survivors to get massive points and rank up.

• Nobsyde
    Options

I still disagree with the 5 minutes thing, but I don't want to indulge too much into it, instead I would like to compliment you for your art project, it looks very cool!

..you should remove a window though! :P

• Nobsyde
    Options
  • Hopesfall
    Hopesfall Member Posts: 828
    Options

it's not always about the emblem.. killers want long matches so we can have a decent amount of chases (more than 3 before EGC).

"as long as you recover" ... why even have that caveat? you're saying that like playing killer has an immediate, known disadvantage.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,413
    Options
  • NullEXE
    edited January 2020
    Options

Yeah even I find chases fun - as both Survivor and Killer, it's probably the most engaging part of the game. However my larger concern is that the scoring system rewards players for playing well first.

I see it as when the scoring system is more balanced, and you pip when you normally get 2 or more sac's/kills, as the objective is described. Then it would be easier to balance parts of the game like chases, and more interaction between killers and survivors.

Right now when I play, so by my own observations the only emblem I have trouble with is the Gatekeeper emblem, because as Killer I play in a playstyle where I will sacrifice generators to ensure another hook, or to take out a Survivor entirely. When there is 5 generators left in the trial with 3 survivors it becomes a lot easier to keep survivors off generators. Though if the game starts and I lose 2 gens before I even walk to the other side of the map, that's less hooks I have at that point, and therefore less ability to get that 3 man to actually survive the mid to late game.

I hope I described that right. TL:DR. Fixing gatekeeper emblem. I believe, will lead to an easier time fixing other parts of the game.

• Boodge
    Boodge Member Posts: 19
    Options

But the "recovery" is an intended flow for the game. Killer starts at a disadvantage because they have too many objectives to protect, but get more powerful as matches reach the end, since they have a smaller area to protect, and usually less survivors to worry about. It is natural, even healthy for the game, for the first 2 generators to go relatively quickly. In fact, if the first 4 minutes of a match goes by and no generators are done... hell even only 1 generator, the survivors are probably going to lose. 4 minutes is an eternity in a match, and killers snowball harder as matches progress.

• Xelaranger
    Xelaranger Member Posts: 10
    Options

But its possible for the surviors to get as little as a few hundred gotta not just look at the upside.

• MiktheSpik
    MiktheSpik Member Posts: 75
    Options

Killers always bitching about how survivors are catered to but dont see things like the upcomming toolbox nerf at all related to the unrelenting, LITERALLY never ending bitching that is in all its entirety of ever killer main on this forum. As of the most recent stats (which probably have swayed alittle bit since then, i dont know if its been updated) killers have been averaging at MINIMUM 2 kills per game. And these mother fuckêrs start SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF THEIR LUNGS. DEMANDING that the game made to be more favorable for them. Like if you want to talk about the difficulty of pipping or how there may be some survivor based loops which are completely debatable. But god the just LITERAL, not even an exaggeration, UNENDING aimless pointless bítch that survivors are just "privleged" jesus christ man, if people want to gather data and make a legitament arguement to contend against survivors, i get it, i want that. I DESPERATELY LONG FOR IT. Like you have no idea how bad i want that, but you guys wonder why the devs dont listen despite 80 percent of the posts here from killers (which is funny cause i never see survivor mains in here hardly. So the embodiment of of this forum is represented by killer mains bítching with no notable evidence aside from "this guy said this on a forum i read that is partially misinterpretted") crying for survivor nerfs and killer buffs. NOT EVEN GIVING SUGGESTIONS. Like asking for an improvment is one thing but raging and crying and screaming that something NEEDS to happen but giving nothing for ideas that are actually balanced and me as a person who loves playing both sides and who has what i consider a fairly nuetral perspective and understands alot of the underlying issues (which beleive it or not isnt just "survivors are cattered to") like the monster amount of bugs, retative gameplay and such, I want to converse and debate and theorize but theres nothing to debate with apes screaming about how unfair theyre being treated. I mean seriously, like i said. This is how killer mains look to the rest of the world and you arent going to get any type of changes by just screaming louder and crying more tears. You just wont, im not trying to discourage you, as i feel ive shown, i want talk and debate these things but you just cant keep crying and expecting people to listen.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,626
    Options

While we certainly appreciate the thought that was clearly put into this change, there is the reality of the matter.

Gens are impossible to control on some maps. Rotten Fields with Legion, for example. What am I supposed to do? There is no way I can pressure the Survivors enough. Additionally, on maps with a lot of pallets, Blood Lodge for example, one committed chase will cost you three gens. There aren't any real dead areas on most maps.

• NEVELEVEN11
    NEVELEVEN11 Member Posts: 141
    Options

I dont worry about gen pressure. The more they repair, the harder it gets for them. I like to keep them away from 3 that are closest together. Just played a game in fact they finished all gens and i still got 4k.

• DJ_2_toxic
    DJ_2_toxic Member Posts: 29
    Options

Bottom line this is gonna be a bumpy ride for everyone because this game is unbalanced to heck and they fail to see it so..... Just waiting for this game to die

• Vampirox
    Vampirox Member Posts: 411
    Options

I love the Ruin being changed but now when i play trapper its sooooo ######### brutal with his setup time =/

OG daddy needs a buff!!!

• JohnofPA
    JohnofPA Member Posts: 12
    Options

Why is there only a vote up option? Boo

• FleshTorpedo
    FleshTorpedo Member Posts: 394
    Options

Roblox is looking pretty good right about now.

• RngGenerator
    RngGenerator Member Posts: 25
    Options

Late game perk btw...

• gibblywibblywoo
    gibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,772
    Options

Mt first match was a rank 3 match where I git steamrolled by gens even with 2 hooks in the first 2 minutes. I got a 4k simply because a jake and nia threw the game by running into the basement while being chased by a tier 3 Micheal.

Safety pipped on a 4k losing 0 points for being near the hook.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • OmegaXII
    OmegaXII Member Posts: 2,187
    Options

I play as hag in Lerys, and 2 gens got done when i haven't even set all my traps yet.

It's unfair for these type of killers as they lost 2 gens before even starting the game

• MuddslideMcGee
    MuddslideMcGee Member Posts: 3
    Options

You guys are acting like the infinite window is death to a killer winning the game. tlThere are always things you can do to stop the window loop. A trap, a hex, the clown throws a bottle, the window loop is useless if the killer is the nurse or the spirit. Plus a survivor can only go through it three times before the window is closed. And if the killer runs bamboozle the survivor can only go through it once. There are things you can do to stop the window loop. Okay so you close up that infinite window now the survivors have all of the jungle Gyms to utilize. Same scenario. Are we going to take out the jungle Gyms next? How about if we just take out all of the structures and have the survivors running through Forest and corn fields? Would that make it easier for you guys?

• Keene_Kills
    Keene_Kills Member Posts: 649
    Options

So, basically, killers' main focus should be on holding down a 3-gen strat... after reworking the killer known to be the king of the 3-gen strat.

• skiafluff
    skiafluff Member Posts: 58
    Options

I really hope that's not an exact quote. "The more people the killer kills" kind of implies that they want you to tunnel to get kills early so you can actually win.

• OperationMintyHippo
    OperationMintyHippo Member Posts: 406
    Options

The "first four minutes" like most games even last 5 lol..

• Darkdimensia5227
    Darkdimensia5227 Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2020
    Options

To be honest ruin was the only gen perk needed and punished the new or crappy players and rewarded the smart\lucky survivors plus now thrilling tremors and other perk combos with ruin can happen so I actually enjoy the change as both killer and survivor and it's still kinda luck for killers because if most people escape red ranks won't be as skilled if you have luck and it makes killers bring more troll perks which sucks like Franklin and no ed but gens will pop quicker.

Note I don't use Franklin or no ed unless challenge required I hate them as survivor and ######### Franklins should be changed no ed is fine

• jjwild909
    jjwild909 Member Posts: 10
    Options

This entirely depends on the killer and the player. I went up against some survivors who, judging from their ranks new how to play the game and get gens done. To their disadvantage I was running surveillance so as gens regressed with ruin I knew where they were when they went to work on it. A killer with no ruin is screwed but while ruin is active its a powerful tool with the right perks to accompany it. I ended that game with three kills and one hatch escape so I wouldn't take that thought to heavily.

• Talmeer
    Talmeer Member Posts: 1,520
    edited January 2020
    Options

I just wanted to say, your map looks really nice.

But I guess she would be really stay as art, or? Can't imagine that a pc could run a map like that, without being a NASA system :D.

In one of my first maps, I had make a map for a long gone HalfLife 1 mod (VampireSlayer) and I can remember how I needed to cut 70-80% of my work out, because the map was actual to big for the map-compiler, that the old worldbuilding tools from Valve have used.

That was a sad, but also a funny moment :D.

Personally I would like to see a screenshot from the worldbuilding-tools bhvr is using. Then I would maybe some of the problems a bit better understand, bhvr seems to have. On the other hand - no companie likes to show its tools, so we maybe will never see them.

• BadMrFrosty
    BadMrFrosty Member Posts: 1,100
    Options

Who actually cares about these shiny buttons with arbitrary conditions? I just want a game to last more than 5 minutes.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,413
    Options

The OP, who specifically mentions the gatekeeper emblem.

• NullEXE
    Options

Gatekeeper Emblem is working x'D Killed all the survivors and got Iri Gatekeeper.