How many hours of IG play would you say qualifies an expert player?

I've had DBD since August 2016, but never really played much up until recently due to being turned off by the games terrible balance issues (though I did still watch streams and lurk around wikis and forums). Now I've shot myself up to about 200 hours in the last three months and would like to think I'm a halfway competent player, but the number of times I've been referred to as a baby in PGC due to my hours says otherwise. So, my question is: Where does the community feel like a good place to draw the line between tiers of players is, specifically in terms of hours played (I recognize that this is not a good metric, but, hey, this is just for fun)?

If you simply refuse to answer that question: What rank do you feel qualifies a "good player" (another terrible metic)?

Answers

• AsePlayer
    AsePlayer Member Posts: 1,829

Red ranks would be the bare minimum to judge someone by since it's so easy to get there.

I tend to trust people with 500+ hours.

• Tatariu
    Tatariu Member Posts: 3,075

Hours don't necessarily mean you're an expert. I know plenty of people who have thousands of hours, but still play poorly, and don't know what certain perks/addons do.

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

I'd say at least 600 hours, but that depends on the skill a lot and if you want to be competitive or play for fun.`Someone with 2000 hours could be a lot more skilled then a person with 3000 hours

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited January 2020

Obviously a highly subjective answer from person to person, but for me personally I don't think someone has a real grasp and understanding of the game until at least 1,000+ hours with rank 1 on both sides.

• Infinity_Bored
    Infinity_Bored Member Posts: 445

I have nearly 5000h and i am still called a noob in here.

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

I would say do you take the right angles, anticipate your opponent, can you loop not just drop pallets, can you figure out what the other player has equipped. Those are traits of a good player.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

that really differs from player to player.

i know people with almost double my ingame hours who are a lot worse than me.

(my ingame hours are 3020 right now)

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,313

Hours mean very little beyond someone who's clearly very new with like 20 hours or something. I guess 1000 hours is a pretty okay mark, it's when someone reaches four-digit playtime and it's not too ridiculous.

But obviously the answer I meant to give is the typical gaming one: however many hours I have. Less = noob, more = "nolife"! 😄

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,164

It depends on what you mean by "expert."

I'm devotion 8 in the game. My friend thinks I'm an expert because I know the game mechanics and perks and all that. However, I don't consider myself an expert because I'm not a great player.

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105

Playtime does not matter to much unfortunatly. I see people with 2K hours that play worse then some with 200 hours. But if i have to pick a number, i would say after 2000+ hours you should be an expert of this game. Should.

Also the rank is not really any indicaton for beeing good at the game. Let me put it in this way: At red ranks, you might find people that are good at the game from time to time, but most of them are not. Everything below red is usually really bad (no offense).

The skillgap in this game is unfortunatly very low. A good example is True talent. A middle strong player, that would not even be in the higher ranks at any other game that is requires skill. But in Dead by daylight he is considered to be a very good killer :o

• yandere777
    yandere777 Member Posts: 728

I'd say I'm pretty exceptional even tho i have maybe around 500 ish hours. Can't check because ps4 but i know this due to the end of the year saying dbd was my most played game. So hours really aint everything. Like you can have someone with the same amount of hours as me and have better game sense than people like tru3.

• Sylorknag
    Sylorknag Member Posts: 760

Is there a way for me to check my play time on ps4?

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255

I'm an 800 hour player. Been to rank 1 etc.

I can hit greats, generally know the maps etc. I run a lot of information perks because while perks like dead hard and decisive can absolutely help in a chase and tunnel situation, you could miss a pallet you could have used, etc.

I consider myself bad but I float up in ranks no matter what I do so whatever.

• BigTimeGamer
    BigTimeGamer Member Posts: 1,752

Not time specific per se but People who can tell within the first few minutes how a game will go are usually the better players

ie: if I go down and see my team doing nothing or god forbid self caring, if 2 gens pop before first hook, if someone is walking/crouching around

you get the idea

• oke
    oke Member Posts: 102

You can be an expert player with 2k hours, but you have to play both survivor and especially higher skill killers like Billy, Nurse, Huntress, Spirit, etc., and gamesense is extremely important, a lack of gamesense leads to forum posts complaining about killer XYZ being "op" or survivor "gen rushing".

• LetsPlayTogether
    LetsPlayTogether Member Posts: 2,117
    edited January 2020

Time doesnt make you an expert or anything. It all comes down to understanding. If you figure out how the mechanics work youre an expert, even though this doesnt make you a good player. For example there is a fogwhisperer i know with like 3k hours but hes soo much biased that he isnt an expert at all, cause He cant comprehend the gameplay in total.