we need to do something about VPN'ing killers DEVS PLEASE

Options

seriously this issue is getting very annoying and im amazed it hasn't ever been brought up. all these asian players VPNing to the NA servers with extremely high ping result in nothing but extremely terrible hits and it ruins the experience completely. why is this allowed? imo they should be banned or restricted because of their ping.

Comments

• avilmask
    avilmask Member Posts: 599
    Options

A lot of people use vpn due to nat errors and endless loading issues that dont happen in less distant to head office places.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,145
    Options

There really isn't much the devs can do. The point of a VPN is to mask where you are coming from. They can't exactly detect that someone is using a VPN unless it's a popular one with known IPs, but even then, it's easy for those to change.

• Hsizzle
    Hsizzle Member Posts: 74
    Options

its quite easy, have a ping detector in the lobby to kick you for an extreme amount of ping. they stated that their aim was for players to have 150 ping or lower. if anything goes over that they shouldnt be allowed

• Reinami
    Options

But that just punishes players who have a poor connection and also what do you do if someone's connection is slightly unstable and they drop a packet every now and then? Their ping shoots up to 150-200 but only for about 1-2 seconds. Do they get kicked too? It's not a simple problem to solve.

• Hsizzle
    Options

then i guess the games dead because no ones going to want to play at all with people using extreme ping as an advantage, its unfun and very unfair

• Reinami
    Options

That is an extreme overstatement, especially for something that is likely relatively rare.

• Hsizzle
    Options

relatively rare??? LMAO? i get them on AVERAGE 5-6/10 games if im playing late at night. its not rare or an overstatement. multiple big content creators have also shared their issues with them on other platforms. its ignorant to say its rare

• IFeelFantastic
    IFeelFantastic Member Posts: 72
    Options

I am an American living in China and I play DBD religiously. However, I never use my VPN, I just play with local Chinese players, with pings of 20-60, never a problem. When I try to play on, say, a VPN located in Los Angeles or Hong Kong, my ping skyrockets to 250-400, which is basically unplayable. The DBD playerbase in China is extremely healthy. Happy Lunar New Year!

• Reinami
    edited February 2020
    Options

I'm rank 1 on both sides and play both often (mainly killer) and i usually play pretty late at night (10 PM - 2AM PST) most nights with some games sprinkled in here and there. I have literally never seen one.

• Hsizzle
    Options

did some digging, its definitely bannable for what theyre doing.

• Elvenmonk
    Elvenmonk Member Posts: 367
    Options

Have you ever played on the Asian servers? They're awful.

I get lower ping vpning back to my home state then I do playing without it.

Last night I decided to play on Asian servers and the rubber banding was so bad I actually couldn't walk

• Elvenmonk
    Options

Really? When I play on China servers I get just bad ping.

• Broccoli_Jaeger
    Broccoli_Jaeger Member Posts: 252
    edited February 2020
    Options

Dedicated Servers definitely fixed the lag switch problem...

• Hsizzle
    Options

doesnt mean they have the right to come onto the NA servers and abuse high ping for an advantage

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246
    Options

What right are you talking about? You one of those we have to build a wall people?

• Omans
    Omans Member Posts: 1,081
    Options

Many Korean survivor players are using VPNs to go to the Japanese server because there aren't enough killer players on the Korean server. It's not good.

• Elvenmonk
    Options

Notice the part where I say I get lower ping?

The issue really is a lot of people in the US have bad internet.

My old place before I moved to China I was lucky to get 100KBs. I could play with friends in my city and lag.

This is less a vpn and more a ######### state of the US internet.

• Hsizzle
    Options

leave it to someone like you to turn a game issue into a social issue. im gonna simplify this to a childs level of comprehension because you seem to lack that.

USING.PING.FOR.AN.ADVANTAGE.IS.DAMAGING.TO.GAME.HEALTH

• Hsizzle
    Options

just because u have lower ping in one area doesnt mean the latency youre causing from the vpn isnt high. this has been proven many times.

• Elvenmonk
    edited February 2020
    Options

Except we're not hosting the game. So it doesn't

And you ignored the bigger part of the argument

• Hsizzle
    Options

you clearly dont know how dedicated servers work. your ping/latency to the server and the servers ping itself both take account when it comes to what happens in game. just research it and you'll know what i mean

• Elvenmonk
    Options

Unless you're playing at like 6 am most people in Asia are asleep or at work. We're 13+ hours ahead of you.

• Elvenmonk
    Options

As someone who used to play on Israeli servers for fps games, that's false. Only my ping suffered.

Same when playing mmos on EU servers.

All from the states.

Also considering I tried to be a network programmer I'm sure I have a better understanding.

Unless dbd does theirs magically different

• Hsizzle
    Options

jesus i literally cant tell if youre trolling or just uneducated. do i need to send u clips of the type of hits vpn killers get on me?

• Elvenmonk
    Options

Those hits happened to me when I was in the states playing against my friends in the same city.

It's a known joke hit boxes are the size of Mars. That's not vpn that's their hit detection adjustment.

I've seen people vault a window run then get hit from local connections. Their hit adjustment is funny

Rubber banding would be caused by bad ping and that's what happens when i play on my local servers.

• Elvenmonk
    Options

Again unless you're playing at 6 am in the US you aren't playing against killers in Asia. We're 13+ hours ahead. So at 4 pm cst we are going to work. With work hours ending typically 9-10 hours later. Except in Japan where the average is 12 hours. Then there's commute back home, eating, family stuff, then finally playing.

Is it because you see boxes? My friends in the US all have Korean and Japanese characters for their names because they're kpop stans and weebs.

The time differences make this so hard to believe. If you think your wait times are bad try us servers at 5 am cst.

You are more than likely playing against locals with bad internet because the internetmarket is the worst in the US. My phone using metropcs would load videos faster at 720 then my desktop would at 240. It was such a issue I used my phone to download things over night because that was faster then using my$100 internet connection.

• Hsizzle
    Options

i play alot with my friends/stream during the night. easily between 2-3 am. trust me i know the difference

• Elvenmonk
    edited February 2020
    Options

2-3 am we're still not even home. Add 9 hours to 4pm. That's when we get off of work at the earliest. ######### I don't get off of work until 8:30 pm China time which is considered the start of gaming time, from what I've seen.

Again when we are playing it's like 5am to 1pm cst.

Trust me you don't. Especially if you refuse to even admit bad internet in the US

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529
    edited February 2020
    Options

What about people that are not close enough to a server to get <150ms ping? Should we now punish people because the developers were too greedy to add more servers?

But at the end of the day, this doesn't solve the problems of dedicated servers. Which is that they increase the interaction latency between killer and survivor by putting a 3rd party between them. On the peer-to-peer system people could be consistently matched with people close to the, no matter what region they reside in.

• Hsizzle
    Options

im glad u speak for every single possible player in china and know exactly when they play. or when everyone gets off work and "eats" etc. this is the most silly reach of a counter argument iv ever seen and youre incredibly wrong. most people i know in the US and canada (including me) are using over 600mb/s and fiber connections. again u have 0 clue about what youre talking about and defending these people literally abusing latency issues is gross. you know literally nothing. im done replying to your ignorance

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,619
    Options

Not being the host is not the argument. But when you are playing on a Dedicated Server with a Ping of around 40 and the Killer is using a VPN and has a Ping of 300, Hits tend to be very bad, because while your Ping to the Server is great, the Ping to the Killer is not. Had this one time where a Huntress was using a VPN, the Hits were horrible.

Sometimes it is not possible to guarantee such a Ping. They said that 90% of the Playerbase are playing with a Ping of 150 or lower, do you want to exclude the other 10%? Only because they are living at a place where they have no Servers nearby? Those 10% are not the guys you want to punish.

I would rather prefer to have the Ping of the Killer visible. However, this could lead to the same issue that people who live far away from a Server will not find games, because Survivors are dodging their Lobby because of the high Killer Ping.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,023
    Options

2 things to this...

For your first comment about connecting to servers close to you, using a VPN would only make that problem worse. Even if NORMALLY you dont have a server relatively close to you, its not gonna help by connecting to a server on the other side of the world. This was the problem PUBG had when the US servers were packed with Chinese players since you could simply pick your region from a list instead of ithe game detecting it.

For your 2nd point... Dedicated servers kinda hide what your getting into. With the old Peer-to-peer system, I could at least see the ping of the person I was connected to at the lobby and use that information to decide if I want to get into this game or not. With the dedicated servers, I just get a server telling me its all good since my own connection to it is fine, without letting me know that the person I'm playing against is actually the Mars rover.

• Laakeri
    Laakeri Member Posts: 835
    Options

There are large countries where goverment with unlimited resources are trying to stop VPN's but cant, so I dont see how small company could do anything to stop it.

• IFeelFantastic
    IFeelFantastic Member Posts: 72
    edited February 2020
    Options

@Elvenmonk Yeah, I live in 成都, and not using the VPN, the DBD experience here (in-game) provides good green-coded ping levels. Sometimes a yellow, never reds. There's no lag problem for me. Where are you? The situation in another part of China might be completely different. In-game pings are fine over here.

Now, the whole menu structure and sheer QUANTITY of connection errors... yeah that really has me fuming sometimes, wondering why I put up with it.

• Elvenmonk
    Options

I'm in Beijing.

I rubber band like crazy. I'll join a lobby and be green then when I wait 20 seconds and click ready it jumps to red and I can't even move because I'm rubber banding so badly

• DisappointedUser
    DisappointedUser Member Posts: 420
    Options

Players that have horrible ping should be "punished" in some way. My understanding is that they are grouped together and don't typically get matched with people who have good pings.

AND this game already kicks you if a packet is dropped. This game has ZERO reconnection / retry logic in it. It just drops the connection and goes "######### you." This has happened to me 10 times since the 3.5.0 patch and I have great internet.

• DustinH456
    DustinH456 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2020
    Options

LMFAO NICE LIE. nice lie my dude, you paying like $200 - $300 for your internet? I live in canada, moved MORE times then i can count, even to different provinces. used practically EVERY internet service provider, had some of the best plans. BEST speeds i found were 430 MBPS WITH fiber connection and it was like a $120 plan. so id like to know which internet provider you have and how much your paying a month for 600mbps my dude. most internet speeds out here are 100mbps-200mbps with fiber connections and their like $100. like 50-80mbps just wifi.

BUT VPN'ing DOES cause more latency, whoever is saying it doesn't is clearly lying, or just uneducated, which means hes lying because he said he was trying to become a computer programmer. How you ask? im glad you did

SITUATION: Survivor vaults a window and lithes away, seeing the killer back on the opposite side of the window and swinging.

normal connection: pings from survivor to the server - killer pings to server- Survivor receives killers ping - killer receives survivors ping- killers ping sent back to server -- survivors ping sent back to server - then the server figures out what will happen from those two pings - killers ping sent back to him - survivors ping sent back to them.

Result, survivor is way to far to be hit.

VPN killer: survivor pings to server with their button clicks - killer swings, sending that ping to their VPN - server pings the survivors ping to killers VPN - killers ping goes from VPN to server - server pings survivors ping to killer- - killers ping goes to survivor - survivors ping sent back to VPN - Killers ping sent to server - survivors ping sent to server - killers ping sent to his VPN - SURVIVORS PING SENT BACK TO SURVIVOR - - SERVER NOW DECIDES what happens from both pings - killers ping is finally returned to him

Result: Survivor takes a hit even though on their screen, the killer is super far away. But the latency from the ping communications makes it so that the killer saw the survivor either still, in the vault, or like abnormally slowly walking, and after they landed the hit they probably saw you zip off WAY FASTER than normal, or just disappear altogether, depending on the distance the survivor ACTUALLY made.

was enjoying the argument till he tried to say he knew what he was talking about xD i had to chime in :)

-DustinH456 out ~

• wojtech
    wojtech Member Posts: 192
    Options

The game can read all your network configuration so it's possible to detect if you're using VPN or not.