Question about .ini files

Options

Hey. So basically Ive seen a video about someone changing some stuff in the .ini files and was wondering if some those stuff were bannable because I want to change ini files as well to have higher fps.

In the video they made the red stain brighter, removed the fog and also removed the fire and was wondering if these were bannable? Thanks

Comments

• Stridor
    Stridor Member Posts: 28
    Options

Yes. All bannable offenses

• Rothul
    Rothul Member Posts: 72
    Options

Are you sure? Because I have not seen any devs said it was or wasnt

• Stridor
    Options

Tbh I'm not sure 100% lol sorry if that sounded overconfident. But the fog, red stains brightness and fire are things the devs put thought into while the game is made, hence why there are offerings to affect the fog, and perks that affect bloodstains. As for the fire it can at times offer legitimate cover for a survivor.

I'm pretty sure changing any of that stuff in any way should be bannable at least

• Stridor
    Options

But I rescind all of that if a Dev says otherwise

• Rothul
    Options

Yeah I wish they could clarify if its a bannable offense or not before someone gets banned without knowing its bannable to beging with... communication is key

• Stridor
    edited February 2020
    Options

Here, I think it might fall into this category

Or this one

• Stridor
    Options

No problem, respect for asking the community before going through with it though. Perma bans are no joke

• McLightning
    McLightning Member Posts: 949
    edited February 2020
    Options

Nobody has ever been banned for editing their INI files in DBD. There's no case of it ever happening that wasn't directly debunked by a dev who said "No, that's not why you were banned" or something similar.

I changed a few lines in GameUserSettings.ini, and added 2 lines to Engine.ini almost 2 years ago to unlock my framerate, because FPS caps are passe. Many people have done this. Nobody has ever been banned for it.

• Rothul
    Options

So you're telling me if I make the red stain brighter, i remove the fog and the fire in Engine.ini I wont get banned if I stream?

• McLightning
    edited February 2020
    Options

I didn't say that. I said nobody has been banned for editing their INI files. I

That being said - people make their red stains, and overall game brighter all the time with things like Nvidia Freestyle and Reshade, which aren't bannable. Removing fog would actually be very sketchy. They specifically say to uncap framerates, they won't ban for it. I've never seen anyone test removing fog etc, and I wouldn't suggest you do, either. Stick to things that aren't considered cheating.

• McLightning
    edited February 2020
    Options

In an update to this, I sent an email to EAC and patiently waited for a response...which I got today. Below is a screenshot of the email (I use a client called Mailbird, because I use so many different email accounts for my work and personal life).

As you can see by their wording, it more or less says (and I'll paraphrase here), they will only ban you for things that give an unfair advantage over everyone else. If it doesn't give that kind of advantage, they will not ban you in game. They also say that their main focus is actual cheating tools, and unless a certain file edit is forbidden by the devs you're not in danger. Since editing the INI's to uncap FPS is not forbidden (as they have said in this thread), and because that doesn't give you an unfair advantage, you're fine. Changing things to remove fog etc. is likely a different story, though, since those can provide an unfair advantage.

There's more, but that's the jist.