If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

What happened to The Deathslinger's leg?

Options
Spooky13
Spooky13 Member Posts: 1,471

He wears a brace, his lore mentions pain running through his leg when he gets up after being taken by the Entity, but it never mentions any injuries to his leg. The most we get is the Jaw Smasher addon, which mentions he was shot through the jaw in a shootout. Maybe the same happened to his leg?

Comments

• AntiJelly
    AntiJelly Member Posts: 1,155
    Options

Yeah, really confused on that part. None of his add-ons have anything to explain it, and that's all there was in the story. Maybe the devs forgot to put in the part about his leg?

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 12,994
    Options

He seems to be crafty in his lore, which is how his weapon was created.

He could have made a brace for his leg when he arrived to the realm of the entity

• Rattman
    Rattman Member Posts: 1,088
    Options

Maybe he need this thing to stay steady and aim better?

• BSNightflow
    BSNightflow Member Posts: 81
    Options

He was bitten by a dog in the leg and needed support for walking afterwards... and that's why he got the Dead "Dog" map. (?) 🙄

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666
    Options

He probably shot himself by accident while testing the redeemer.

• FichteHiro
    FichteHiro Member Posts: 711
    Options

He could have broken his leg in prison or have been shot in the leg. There are no solid explanations as to why this came to be, but we can speculate.

• mistar_z
    mistar_z Member Posts: 857
    Options

he stepped on a lego piece

• FichteHiro
    FichteHiro Member Posts: 711
    Options

That would make sense, who knows, maybe he stumbled upon a Pallet while trying to break it. 🤔

• Mikeadatrix
    Mikeadatrix Member Posts: 890
    Options

In all seriousness, his Frontier Vigilante outfit explains why he has the brace.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188
    Options

That's basically Archives bait/teasing. That's all I think it is. Makes sense from a business standpoint.

• xowei
    xowei Member Posts: 1
    Options

His bio only mentions him hobbling to his old cell after gang-beating Henry and the Warden. It's possible he messed up his leg kicking open the warden's door and stomping them both. I like to think the entity gave him his leg brace but his lore highly suggests he made it himself.

• bubbabrotha
    bubbabrotha Member Posts: 1,138
    Options

One of his costumes explains it.

• abc_9000
    abc_9000 Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 137
    Options

he possibly broke his leg good from his top of his leg to his ankle that why he wears that brace on his leg

• BubbaMain64
    BubbaMain64 Member Posts: 546
    Options

He was probably shot in the leg or something. It'd make since because of the whole bounty hunter thing.

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,743
    edited July 2020
    Options

It is explained in the Frontier set, yes, but here's the thing:

if you look at the individual pieces, not all adds up. The overcoat adds up, but the head and gun don't really do. The gun makes it sound as if he got his moniker only after suffering the leginjury (granted, we do see him with the brace in the artwork, but that seems to be already AFTER refining the gun), and the headbit sounds to me as if that particular bit of story could only happen AFTER bayshore took over the prison.

So, as with many other outfits, that lore could be from a different life (i mean he has dark hair in that set too without much an age difference to his main look) in which he didn't end up the entity's pawn, thus the leg info might or might not be accurate for the main-verse DS.

Post edited by MeltingPenguins on
  • TheEdMaverick
    TheEdMaverick Member Posts: 101
    Options

We don't got it boys... yet

If we see his lore on internet, we can see him shooting someone with his weapon but most important, he isn't in prision and he's wearing that thing on his knee.

So:

• I don't believe the vigilante outfit makes any sense since he is the boss from the prision
    • He is a genious and made that thing to compensate something that is missing with his leg, probably a shot or just getting old

He could made another one in the entity's realm but there isnt a workplace and if he does, it's the exactly like the one he used to use

And just awakening in the entity's realm he heard screams (i dont remember), start to see people that hated him and bayshore, so he start to look for them again (so no, he didnt start to craft his armor for his leg after being taken by the entity)

• MeltingPenguins
    Options

The question is, how old is he?

Like, yeah, the outfits that do give info on the leg give him very different hair (darker, and going by his drawn portrait I'd actually think he's not balding in his mainform, but that's just me), but questions is:

Going by the mainlore:

how old was caleb when he went to prison, how old was he when the hellshire gang was formed, and how old was he when the warden betrayed him?

cause there might be plenty of time that he ran afoul of some rival gang or such and WAS left for dead by them with a shattered/shot-to-pieces leg but was found in time and fashioned the brace to be able to walk after he regained strength

• WalkedMoss92
    WalkedMoss92 Member Posts: 275
    Options

I looked it up and all we know is that he's older than forty. He doesn't look THAT old but I'd say he's probably 45-50, he ages very well 😉

• MeltingPenguins
    edited July 2020
    Options

hehhe. Yeah, I mean, from Zari's bio we know he was incarcerated in 1860, so he made that deal with the warden in 1875. I think there's another timeframe given after that, but I forgot where and how much it was. but i think it was ~10 years, bringing us to 1885 or such.

If we assume the 'with age' means around 16 or 18 when Bayshore hired and exploited him, that'd set him at being.... 41-43 or such.

Also, coming back to the 'pallet to the knee' joke someone made: given how the leg brace looks in some of his outfits, I can imagine someone DID leave him for death after emptying a shotgun's cartridge into his knee...

Like, that maybe he overestimated himself and underestimated the guy he was after on his own, and the guy escaped after shooting Caleb's legs to pieces.

• WalkedMoss92
    WalkedMoss92 Member Posts: 275
    Options

I find it funny that if we went by the actual years to determine his age, he'd be over 160 years old.

I do agree with what you said though, his leg was probably shot out by a guy he underestimated. At first I assumed that his leg was like that because in his story it says that he KICKED down a door to go beat his boss's ass and the wardens. After reading everyone else's claims, I don't know what to think but so far I'm sticking with what you said because it makes the most sense to me so far.

• MeltingPenguins
    Options

I wouldn't put it beyond Caleb to have kicked down the door with his bad leg in his rage, resulting in the hoppling and pain

• VolantConch1719
    VolantConch1719 Member Posts: 1,152
    Options

While doing some things related to Deathslinger's bio (writing it down on paper because... yeah I really don't have a reason), I got curious about something.

"Next, he made a steam-powered tunneling drill."

In DBD's world (or one of its worlds), Caleb "the Deathslinger" Quinn was the inventor of the Steam Drill. From what I can tell, over 100 different patents for steam drills were created between 1850 and 1875. Assuming Caleb's world's history closely mirrors ours, and knowing he invented the first steam drill, we know he created it before this time, possibly late 1849-early 1850. If we use your metric for his age when Bayshore hired him (16-18, which could work based on his time period), and he created the steam drill in the same year, he would be 26-28 when he finally confronted Bayshore.

After that, he spent fifteen years in Hellshire Penitentiary before the warden worked out a deal with him. By this time, he would be 41-43. He hunts down outlaws with the Hellshire Gang for the next six years before learning he had been sold out and taking his revenge around the age of 47-49 (again, based on your age metric, possibly older).

• MeltingPenguins
    Options

Sounds good.

Though I would maybe go about ~5 years lower, because I don't think Bayshore would wait that long to sell off the inventions as his own, even though it'd then take a bit till there'd be functioning machines AND caleb would hear about it. but I still think 10 years till that is a bit long. (I mean, look at what people like Bayshore are doing right now IRL...)

• vizzibilitie
    vizzibilitie Member Posts: 2
    Options

He wore a ball and chain around his ankle for 15 years, I doubt that was good for his leg

• MeltingPenguins
    edited August 2020
    Options

Good idea, but I think you'd only wear ball & chain/ prison chains when you are outside the prison walls working. also, though i have to check my sources again, iirc when prison chains where applied either to both legs or purposefully to the stronger leg, which, as caleb is right-handed for all we know would be the right leg (there's some weird neurological connection there)

but how about a combination of both:

whoever shot his knee to pieces knew the other leg was weakened from the chains, so chances for Caleb to somehow get out of things would dwindle drastically?

edit: On a small sidenote: checking out some of the outfits I'm intrigued by the Maverick inspired one (pretty certain it is, what with the ace of spades on the back) with all the bullet holes.

Now, I know the outfits aren't maintimeline, but damn, caleb... two hits in the shoulder, one in the hip, one in the butt.

Post edited by MeltingPenguins on
  • MeltingPenguins
    Options

Also.... now, I'm playing on Low, but on his coat less outfits... is that a scar from a noose around his neck?

• hatchking
    hatchking Member Posts: 312
    Options

After being left for dead, he suffered a grueling surgery that left him with a limp. He swore vengeance.