DEVS: Quitting one to two games a day isn't toxic, stop scaling up bans so harshly.

Options
Cheeki_Beaky_Bird
Cheeki_Beaky_Bird Member Posts: 148
edited March 2020 in General Discussions

Title. Sometimes a match is just stupid and frustrating. There needs to be some (not a LOT, but some) allowance for people to just not want to continue a given match, especially with how bad matchmaking currently is, and how survivors are cranking out all the toolbox addons they can before the patch hits to make them single-use.

There's no reason or sensibility in giving scaling bans for DCs if someone has 12 hours between them, we're all humans, people, with real world emotions and feelings. Things can get frustrating, especially with how unforgiving a game like this is, and how many situations arise that just aren't fun at all.

Reduce the time for DC penalties to decay to 12 hours, so that people who quit only 1 game a day won't be receiving increasing/excessive ban times.

DC penalties that are larger than the duration of a match just encourage frustrated players to face themself into a wall and do something else until the trial is over. I'd seriously doubt ANYONE is interested in holding M1 for a few minutes to leave the trial without a killer participating. (At this point, someone will bring up the "refusing to participate in regular gameplay" being reportable bit, but to the same note, does that mean that survivors giving up and letting the killer hook them should be banned as well?)

Post edited by Cheeki_Beaky_Bird on

Comments

• Cheeki_Beaky_Bird
    Options

Oh, no, IDGAF about survivors with this DC penalty stuff. Survivors are literally unaffected by it because they can kill themselves on hook in 10 seconds.

• Cheeki_Beaky_Bird
    Options

I understand that, and I'm not trying to say we shouldn't be discouraging people from DCing or AFKing, I'm just saying that the current measures are a bit extreme, and are a little overdemanding of players.

I respect that everyone having a good time is important, but often if a killer is having a bad enough time that they'd normally quit but can't, they resort to playing in a manor that isn't very fun for the survivors so as to secure one or two kills (tunneling and face camping).

• Cheeki_Beaky_Bird
    Options

I can appreciate that some people are a bit quick on the trigger with deciding they don't want to finish a game, but I'm not trying to defend that. I'm suggesting one DC in the span of **12 hours** being the volume that keeps you at the same ban duration.

What I had more in mind where games where a killer is pitted against survivors who are completely beyond them in terms of skill, that they can't realistically play a game against.

I'm not saying DCing on the regular is OK, but you have to really stretch to claim that leaving one match of a game that has 10-minute rounds every 12 hours is unreasonable.

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255
    Options

To be honest I can't really take a side. If you look at this games sister, Identity V, they have the same camping issue but they have survivors like the embalmed that warp the "hooked" survivor away to counter it entirely.

Our survivors are just skins, and players will always find justifications for how they play. Obviously I can tell devs want people to play all the way through the game, but that's not always a fun thing to do and nobody wants to spend a game not having fun.

I don't envy the devs. Its not an easy fix in this game.

• Cheeki_Beaky_Bird
    Options

I was more referring to killer, as I said earlier, survivors really have no need to DC in most cases where the game isn't being held hostage because of how quickly they can kill themselves.

You've somehow gotten the erroneous impression I play a lot of survivor - I occasionally touched it but found holding M1 for a minute+ at a time boring as hell.

That's pretty debatable. If a killer where to just stop playing instead of disconnecting, would the survivors be any less screwed? They now need to spend even more time to get out of the trial and back into que. Is that what we want to encourage?

• Cheeki_Beaky_Bird
    Options

Oh, yeah, I agree, this is... not an easy issue for them to resolve. I'm trying to propose a relatively minor change to the penalty decay system to try to soften things up a little for general game health, but I can understand that a lot of folks are scared of any change.

I really do feel that the DC button needs to be seen more as conceding the game - something survivors can readily do in a few seconds by letting the killer get them, and kill themself on hook, but that the killer can only do by standing still and hoping the survivors do gens rather than run circles next to them.

• NursesBootie
    NursesBootie Member Posts: 2,159
    Options

As survivor you basically screw your team by ragequitting, if the killer got sum brain. As killer you steal the survivors BP, because their match is usually going well.

• Cheeki_Beaky_Bird
    Options

I agree! DCing at the drop of a hat (or the cleanse of a totem), or a connection so bad that you can't realistically get through games, is something that 100% justifies scaling leave penalties. That's why I'm saying we should reduce the decay time to 12 hours, rather than removing DC penalties altogether. If a player DCs more than once every 12 hours, this won't change their ban times at all, but for those that are leaving only about one game a day, it softens up the bans some.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    Options

Just take an L.

• Cheeki_Beaky_Bird
    Options

"Stealing BP" is a stretch - the survivors all get the 5000 points for escaping instantly, keep their offerings, and are able to start into a new game immediately. They wouldn't exactly be earning Boldness or Altruism points if the killer where to just AFK, either.

• Pok
    Pok Member Posts: 100
    Options

I prefer a killer who stops playing to a killer who DC personally. At least I get to do my objectives/challenges and my points. Of course I would prefer a killer who actually plays but it's just frustrating for me if a killer DC early.

And as you said, we are all humans. You may be a frustrated human, but if you DC, you just make 4 more frustrated humans. I understand that the game matchmaking is absolutely horrible, but I can't encourage DC as a solution

• NursesBootie
    Options

Even if you leave out that argument there are still the survivor DCs.

• Cheeki_Beaky_Bird
    Options

I can understand that, and ultimately, I'm not trying to say we should make the penalties so mild that DCing can be a default solution to the issue, but we're being a little bit harsh on the whole.

Maybe a bit of an addendum to the idea: We could heftily increase punishments if the exit gates are powered, because at that point the killer CAN bring the game to an end by force.

• Cheeki_Beaky_Bird
    Options

Okay? Survivor DCs are VERY inconsequential. The killer loses out on a bit of BP and a little bit of chaser/malicious emblem, but ultimately the game goes the same as if the survivor killed themself on hook. As I said earlier, I don't really care what the final decision is for survivor DC penalties, because survivors DCing doesn't matter much at all.

• Cheeki_Beaky_Bird
    Options

@Pok Maybe something else that could be done: When a player DCs from a game, their character just stops doing any actions, but remains in the trial and can be interacted with normally. Maybe we could EVENTUALLY make a system to allow reconnects, though I imagine it'll take some time to work out the behind-the-scenes stuff for that.

• Archimedes5000
    Archimedes5000 Member Posts: 1,620
    edited March 2020
    Options

Leaving the match is always toxic.

Sorry, but your teammates and opponents are just some strangers on the internet and dont care about your feelings.

Deal with it or face the punishment. If you are frustrated or angry then dont play the game.

• NursesBootie
    Options

Survivor DCs matter. One DC is often the difference between a pip and a blackpip.

• Steve0333
    Steve0333 Member Posts: 529
    edited March 2020
    Options

Well at least you're honest about being a rage quitter unlike most people on here who whine about the dc penalties.

• Cheeki_Beaky_Bird
    Options

I've usually experienced otherwise, but I've been playing at purple ranks rather than red.

I can certainly imagine leaving the survivor in-game but just not doing anything when the player behind them DCs could fix this, though.

• Cheeki_Beaky_Bird
    Options

I really don't see it that way. Conceding that the survivors are so much better than you that there's no point continuing the trial is, if anything. beneficial to those strangers on the internet - they don't have to sit around holding M1 rather than getting into a new game sooner.

If it really where an issue of "Deal with it or face the punishment" I wouldn't have made this thread. I'm bringing this up in an attempt to stop the prevalence of the third and fourth options: Going AFK, or picking a survivor and tunneling and facecamping to ensure that they die no matter how well they play. Those options aren't fun to play against (even less so than instantly escaping), and having less intense scaling on the DC penalties like I suggested will help to curb that behavior.

• Cheeki_Beaky_Bird
    Options

As I tried to be clear about: I'm proposing we decrease the decay time on the DC penalty length, NOT allow players to quite games with any degree of frequency. Anyone who quits more than once every 12 hours would still get the EXACT same penalties as they do now.

• MiniPixels
    MiniPixels Member Posts: 534
    edited March 2020
    Options

If people were allowed to dc once a day the dc problem would be the same, if not even worse than before, it doesn't matter which side your on, or what your reasoning is, DCing is ruining the game for 4 other players, and with long matchmaking at the moment, that's a lot of time people can't get back. If your a survivor play the game out, earn some bloodpoints, and don't kermit die on hook. If your killer do the same thing, if your getting bullied by a 4 man SWF try your best, learn their habits and adapt to get better at facing people like these in the future, even if you lose your de-pipping less than you would if you d/cd. DCing should only be necessary for emergencies, if you aren't dcing for an emergency than the dc penalty is working as intended. That's just my take on the situation.

• Cheeki_Beaky_Bird
    Options

Matchmaking is pretty exclusively a problem for survivors, killers can get into games easily with how few of them there are nowadays. I imagine that that's in part BECAUSE of this - people don't really want to spend however long it takes for a trial to end being forced to "play". This is supposed to be a game, that people do for fun, not some kind of sick sport. (Well, the Entity would disagree with me there.)

Let's put this into the context of a different game. Let's say you where playing CS:GO Wingman - it's a 2v2 mode that takes a while to get through a match of, and has a ranked ladder.

Now let's imagine that you where a Nova Master - around the midpoint for CS:GO's ranks - and where being pitted (for some unholy reason) against Global Elites - the highest rank bracket.

Sure, you might learn a little bit once in a blue moon, but for the most part, you're just getting shot in the head repeatedly for a good while. That's time YOU can't get back. You can see the value in being able to concede a game in this sort of situation.

Now, let's look at it from the other side: Imagine you're the Global Elite player. You play CS:GO like no tomorrow, and... you're bored out of your mind. You aren't being challenged, you don't have any variation between rounds, you're just shooting a guy in the face again, and again, and again. Maybe they even stop playing and just stand still throughout the rounds, so you're just walking across the map to shoot them in the face. Wouldn't you rather an outmatched opponent be able to concede so you can get into a more meaningful game?

Obviously, DBD and CS:GO are very different games, but the idea still holds, a little bit. We get green ranked killers facing off against Reds, and even Rank 1s, all the time. Many survivor games are just mindless holding M1 with a little bit of excitement for the 1 player that loops the killer.

You're never going to get back a second of the time you spend holding M1 and occasionally mashing space while your buddy loops some newby. Wouldn't you prefer to get into a new match sooner, and get some excitement?

Yes, DCing does ruin the game for 4 other players, BUT: You really have to consider that some games are just bad. There's next to nothing to ruin, because there's such a wide skill gap that the two sides are hardly interacting with each other anymore. Do you WANT games like that to force 5 people to sit around doing nothing interesting?

If we want to get shorter matchmaking times, we have to start taking serious steps into making killer more enticing to play. You're not going to reel in a lot of new killer players if they're getting hammered so hard their kids are going to feel it in half their games.

• NursesBootie
    Options
  • The_Bootie_Gorgon
    The_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 2,340
    Options
  • Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627
    Options

Yes. They can do a bit objective, grind points as they want by searching chests, doing totems and sabo hooks and take a safety pip. If you don't face a wall while afking. If you DC, they all get some BP, depip and sit in a queue for another 15 minutes. Killer waits 2 minutes (if at all). And you don't keep your offerings. And next week you will also lose your addons

• NullEXE
    NullEXE Member Posts: 1,632
    Options

It's not a ban. It's a DC timer.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627
    Options

That's a typical case of someone that puts his own experience as base to everything. Well, to start with, what else should one start with. But you draw conclusions on a very small amount of information.

But FYI: Matchmaking is not exclusively a survivor problem. Killers of high to mid rank get easily connected to lobbies. Mid to low rank killers have even worse queues. The amount of low/mid/high/rank survivors is probably not equal to the amount of low/mid/high/rank killers.

There is a video from OhTofu trying to explain it. Noone knows if this is correct, at least I have not seen any confirmation from dev side (and I guess they would not comment that anyway). But it makes sense at least. The video gives a good explanation of why High rank survivors and low rank killers have huge queue times at the moment.

And to your point: are you really arguing that matching against too strong or too weak players is a reason to DC? The game as it is at the moment would be consisting of 50% people DCing! And allowing DCs more regularly is clearly not "making killer more enticing to play". I really don't get your point here. This is seriously not related

• Dehitay
    Dehitay Member Posts: 1,725
    Options

Quitting every time the going gets tough is exactly how you ensure that you don't grow as a player. The games that are the most devestating to you are also going to be the games you grow the most from if you bother to learn from them. Ever since the Ruin nerf, I've been getting destroyed in way more of my matches as killer than I used to. As a result, I've been forced to learn new tricks to compensate. Because the game is unbalanced, I still can't possibly do anything against high skilled survivors gen rushing, but now I can completely toy with low to medium skill survivors. Now, if the game ever gets balanced, I'm going to be a monster of a killer.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

It is very easy for me to just not disconnect unless a gamebreaking glitch or hostage holding is involved, so I don't find it overdemanding.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,225
    edited March 2020
    Options

Ok, so quit a game per day isnt toxic, because it cause you lose 5min. 5min is alot of time I understand.

Now image you have 1-2 players DC the 1st game which they will not get any penalty, try to calculate how much time you lost to get another lobby with other 20.000 players. Dont expect the same 4 people you play 20 matches later.

I will give you an example as you play with 10 other players in 5 matches, who allowed to DC ONCE per day.

I know the 5min penalty is abit harsh, but its needed.

• Cheeki_Beaky_Bird
    Options

I think you've missunderstood.

What I'm proposing would not, and could not ever conceivably, prevent someone from getting a 5 minute penalty.

There are NO DCs IN DBD that do not carry at least the 5 minute penalty. I AGREE WITH THIS.

I am proposing we change the decay time before penalties get larger, such that it goes down 1 stage (so back to 5 if the previous DC was 5) after 12 hours, rather than 24. I realize now my title and post don't quite line up, I'm going to fix that.

• Cheeki_Beaky_Bird
    edited March 2020
    Options

:/ Read plz

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,691
    Options

I vote they leave it the way it is. DC is inexcusable. If you are raging so bad that you feel the need to DC then just put the controller down and walk away for a bit.

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    Options

So basically you want to be able to take your ball home because you are not happy with the way the game is going...

I hope you never have any hurdles in your life.

• DrownedFish
    DrownedFish Member Posts: 107
    Options

Don't play multiplayer if you can't handle. Pathetic...

• HarryToeknuckles
    HarryToeknuckles Member Posts: 158
    Options

How about aim for 0 DCs in a 24 hour period and if you can't control your urge, you try making some art, and 12 hours after that if you still 'need' to DC, eat an ice cream sandwich.

• Godot
    Godot Member Posts: 806
    Options

If you leave, you lose 2 rank points.

Although I'd be more than happy to derank at this point.

Besides, I DC-d two times and it only went up from 4 minutes to 15. That's not a lot.

• The_Bootie_Gorgon
    Options

i really hope a lot of you dnt have hardships in your life...

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570
    Options

Imagine your random teammates & the killer would have the same approach: "1-2 dc's per day are fine". These are on average 4-8 matches per day that others could ruin for you. A lot of people don't even play 8 matches per day.

• Ardjet
    Ardjet Member Posts: 85
    Options

If anything, increase the penalty. Make it an hour for every DC by default. Or two. The more we can do to keep this behaviour away from the game, the better. If it upsets you so much you have to disconnect from a match, effectively screwing four other people over in the process, then this game isn't for you at all.

• Nicholas
    Nicholas Member Posts: 1,947
    Options

I think it should be like other games based on how many matches you play in relation to how many you quit. Someone that plays three matches a day but quits two of them shouldn't be in the same boat as someone who plays 30 matches a day and quits two?

As far as the penalty itself, it definitely only favors the Killer. When a Survivor suicides on the hook, the other three survivors are screwed. At least previously you got 600 bonus bloodpoints for dealing with a quitter. Now you get nothing. The change is a great Boon to the Killer because people are sacrificing themselves now instead of disconnecting but again the survivors are still screwed.