Honest to god, why was Hex Ruin nerfed? Killers have nothing left.

Traslogan
Traslogan Member Posts: 283
edited April 2020 in General Discussions

Seriously, the title says it all. Why the hell did you nerf Hex Ruin? There is no longer any feasible way to slow down gen-rushing, you've made it a core part of the game, and 99% of all games are SWF now so they coordinate to ensure they max out the gen-repairs whilst always knowing where you are and what you're doing and who you're going for.

Honestly just make the Killer an AI at this point, because there's nothing left except specifically play Spirit and Nurse or you're not strong enough no matter the perks to stop the onslaught of SWF rushing where everyone has decisive strike so you can't hook anyone in the end-game-collapse.

Comments

• Traslogan
    edited April 2020

Killers get games instantly but it's always SWF. I'm checking for it and most profiles aren't private, the ones that are will be in the friends lists of those that aren't. I'm barely getting a random group every 20 games, and there's simply nothing to do anymore as killer. There's no fun in watching people know where you are because people on hook are on discord saying what direction you go, people ensuring they have bodyblocks and extra help just before a chase should end.

The devs refuse to acknowledge SWF has become the norm and thus the game isn't balanced for it even slightly. Survivors might as well have 8 perk slots because any perk related to info on the killer is there for free.

There's no gameplay left as killer, they should just buck up and remove it.

• Traslogan
    edited April 2020

I can't do anything anymore because I Don't specifically play Nurse. Gens get done instantly, if I take any hex they get placed in the open with no cover and sometimes survivors even spawn on them, everyone takes decisive strike so you can't punish unsafe unhook and you can't get a single kill during EGC.

I've tried pop goes the weasel but every game is SWF, they see you go and immediately call for support to unhook asap. There's nothing risky for survivors anymore, whilst killers can't get the long game they need to even sustain their rank.

I've got no incentive to play killer, it's just being a pinata for SWF teams to get free bloodpoints.

• Zaitsev
    Zaitsev Member Posts: 1,285

Heres a build for you to try that works on pretty much every killer.

Pop

Thrilling

Knock out

Sloppy

• Traslogan
    edited April 2020

I need Bamboozle at the very least on the shape (Whenever I reinstall this mess, that's my main, no incentive to buy other DLC in the state it's in), as well as monitor & abuse. I've tried using pop goes the weasel in the other slots but again, SWF have overridden the balance of the entire game. I can't get anything done because they know where I am at all times

There's just nothing to stop gen-rushing anymore. It's no longer rushing, they've just made the game immeasurably shorter than it used to be, and killers have never been rebalanced to catch up.

• Saitamfed
    Saitamfed Member Posts: 1,620

New Hex: Ruin is good because thanks to it the killers have to kick no mo'

• Traslogan

So less gen-defense on our pips, just like how we lose our pips when 4-man SWF teams all take decisive strike to stop EGC kills and punish you for punishing.

Survivors just spread out and each sit on a gen with the new hex ruin whilst the SWF team's designated chaser runs you for 120 seconds before 80% of the game is done right there and then.

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,033

Can I get a confirmation that kicking adds to the current generator defense stat?

• Traslogan

Kicking does, but I believe hex ruin with is passive decay is just that, it's passive and isn't scoring for you. If a survivor just sits on the gen and never lets it decay, gen-rush happens inside 2 full minutes of the game either way now.

• Saitamfed
    Saitamfed Member Posts: 1,620
  • EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

If BHVR could program killer bots they most certainly would be in the game.

• Traslogan

They should do because there's no gameplay left for killers.

• Kwikwitted
    Kwikwitted Member Posts: 641

Yeah that's not the issue, even remotely.

New Hex: Ruin isn't necessarily a bad perk, it just doesn't help with what old Hex: Ruin used to help with, which was early game generator slowdown. New Hex: Ruin does nothing if you don't actively push survivors off a generator. If they sit on a generator from 0 to 100% Hex: Ruin does nothing.

Ironically new Hex: Ruin works best on killers with high map mobility, i.e. killers who didn't need old Hex: Ruin in the first place. Killers like Hillbilly and Freddy can make great use of new Hex: Ruin because they are always all over the map chasing survivors off generators. Killers like Myers, who require setup time and were greatly aided by old Hex: Ruin are now forced to settle on Corrupt Intervention which is a poor substitute as it does nothing to slow down generator progress, and just makes the map smaller for two minutes in a nutshell, only not really cause survivors can just wait it out if they so choose.

Ok, I'm assuming you're writing this on the heels of a particularly infuriating game, so I'm sympathetic. That said, 99% of your games are not SWF and claiming as much is hyperbole that pulls away from your main points. Exaggeration is not needed in this case.

Also I would argue more people play Freddy and Hillbilly than Nurse at high levels since her rework where she just became stun simulator 5000. I would recommend picking up Freddy, as he is probably the strongest killer with the lowest learning curve.

As far as dealing with your issue, I would recommend running the following build.

Nurse's Calling

Corrupt Intervention

Monitor and Abuse

Sloppy Butcher

Myers is a fun killer but he desperately needs setup time, this build gives him some of that by blocking off the far generators for two minutes. This ensure survivors have to come closer to him to get started on generators, leading to more stalk opportunities and more chases and hopefully hits and downs. Monitor and Abuse is of course a staple on Myers and still his best perk, make Stealthy boi great again, but Nurse's really makes him effective even when in EW2 as he can punish people trying to heal. To make this even more frustrating we pair it with sloppy butcher to make healing take forever giving survivors two not fun choices, don't heal and risk getting downed repeatedly even when regularly hit, or waste time healing.

• Traslogan

I try constantly, but it literally is just play Nurse or you can't. I main shape and I try playing billy and wraith too, and you simply don't have the capacity to end chases at the speed needed to stop the speed of the game the devs have built over the years. You have to find someone really fast, end chases exceptionally fast, or it's all over so fast it's unreal.

• leyzyman
    leyzyman Member Posts: 355

Mobile version is getting bots for people who quit...

*concerns increasing*

• Traslogan

They're never going to balance the game against SWF. Play nurse and everyone d/c's because survivor ranks are too easy to acquire, or play anything else and get meme'd on for 3 minutes before gen-rush is over. THat's all that's left for killers.

• THEFREAK420
    THEFREAK420 Member Posts: 138

I agree totally. Dedicated killer on ps4. I dont mess around, i play to win. How dare me, I know. Its rough right now. The gen times are really fast. The trick in my opinion is dont set up your build to stop or slow gens, you CAN'T. Set it up for after the gens are done. NOED and Bloodwarden will flip a match the other way in seconds, When it works out. It doesn't always, but such is life. But those 2 perks alone will help alot because they ARE gonna get some gens done, just gotta plan for it. Theres no planning for getting put in a match with all rank 3's & up though when you're in green ranks still. I like the game alot, but its a mess for killers right now, it sucks.

• Traslogan

No this is off the back of nights of infuriating games. I get non-SWF 1 in 20 games (Check steam profiles, and refuse to play with 4 private profiles), like literally the only real workaround you're offering is "buy more DLC, see if that helps". They won't even keep old DLC like the shape up to date, he's designed to reduce chase times with a limited-use special ability and thus minimize his point gain, but otherwise he's trash and incapable. We've got no means to even somewhat deal with how fast the game is now, and we can't even sustain our ranks because killer ranking was designed for good fleshed out games and anything short of that curbs your rank hard.

They're charging us for base game, £70+ for DLC, a premium currency store, and a season pass that renews. If I have to buy more DLC to stand a chance, it's pay to win.

• Wylesong
    Wylesong Member Posts: 642
    edited April 2020

Just a counter to the 99% of all games are SWF, I would like to see the research? I play on Switch and I have not one played with or against a SWF team. This just sounds like a person crying GIVE ME HEX BACK instead of learning other ways to play as a killer. I almost never used Hex anyway because it was a risky thing to use.

I have always used Pop goes the Weasel and other things like that because Hex Ruin can be cleansed so fast it was kind of pointless anyway.

• Traslogan
    edited April 2020

I can't speak for Switch, given the awkwardness of playing with friends on switch I would wager you have a better time on average. on PC though we can check steam profiles. Just play killer on PC, get to a middle-tier rank like maybe 12-13, and just check and see that either every single person is private, or you find everyone in each other's friends list, often set to private and offline to try and hide it. I've counted my own games personally and can genuinely attest to the fact I can't get a full team of randoms anymore than 1 in every 20 games.

Pop goes the weasel is a good perk, but the problem is survivors will pre-emptively hide because their SWF buddy on the hook will say where you go, and sometimes you will even catch them on the tail-end of BQQ-&-Chili trying to run away from otherwise just casually working on gens, because you were going for it. After the game you realize no one ever takes any perk relating to info now because they have those perks for free via discord.

• NursesBootie
    NursesBootie Member Posts: 2,159

That bad habit of wanting longer matches for both sides screw those killers!

Seriously PGTW with BBQ is really good to stall gens, Thrilling is not worth it imo.

• Kwikwitted

So first off, private profiles do not mean SWF. I keep my steam profile private most of the time just so I don't have morons writing stupid comments on it and my kid plays on my profile for other games so I don't want some jackoff messaging her either.

Second, I didn't say the workaround was "buy more DLC" I suggested perks that can make the shape workable in the current meta, take with that information what you will. Sloppy butcher is a baseline perk. Nurse's calling comes from one of the three free killers. You already said you have Monitor and Abuse as it's a staple on Michael. So you're whining about paying five bucks for plague to get maybe the second best generator perk in the game right now?

I gave you a way to make the game less frustrating for you in the current status, but you're too busy to whine on the forums, no point in continuing this further.

• Traslogan

Well we can't say anything on the steam discussions because devs put up a suggestion board there that is 100% ignored and never sees an official response on anything, it's just there to draw flak. I'm here because there's nowhere else to have the discussion that would potentially have even a slim chance of mattering.

• Traslogan
    edited April 2020

*deleted*

• Kwikwitted
    edited April 2020

Thrilling Tremors would be better than BBQ and Chili if BBQ didn't have the double BP attached to it.

BBQ is literally nothing more than a 4 second aura reading of survivors who are a considerable distance away. It can be completely neutralized by hiding in a locker, or juked by walking one direction for four seconds then walking the other direction. It can be countered by distortion and other aura denial perks.

Thrilling works on the entire map at once regardless of distance, blocks generators not being worked on for 6x the duration of BBQ's aura reading, and shows you exactly where to go with your pop goes the weasel based on which generators did not get blocked.

I would agree that running both is redundant, and obviously with a bloodhunt going on everyone's gonna run BBQ, but if we were talking pure location information thrilling tremors is better due to its generator blocking and lack of restrictions on distance.

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

Because survivors couldn't hit skill checks.

• luka2211
    luka2211 Member Posts: 1,433

Bruh,there isn't a single way you keep getting swfs all over and over again. You just aren't playing properly and are making really bad decisions in the game

• SurviveByDaylight
    SurviveByDaylight Member Posts: 720

Lies. Ruin isn’t even necessary. I’ve seen killers do work with other perk combinations. High mobility is OP too 😡 angers me people still use this crutch perk as an excuse for whining about killers being underpowered

• Traslogan

So you're admitting specifically just high mobility killers are good and the rest don't have what it takes. Cause that's the majority of killers that lack mobility. The game is basically just "play nurse, maybe freddy, or gtfo, if you don't buy those DLCs you can't really play killer past rank 15"

• Traslogan

YOu're clearly deluded then. Playing badly doesn't make everyone be friends with each other on steam in the lobby.

• luka2211
    luka2211 Member Posts: 1,433
    edited April 2020

You legit said "99% of my games are swf" you said that and I said there's no way that is happening to anyone.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

I think the problem was that killer mains in general were more skilled then survivor mains, so they had to make game less balanced to even things out. This affects the less skilled killers. But of course SWF will always be very unfair to any killer. You can just tunnel one to get a kill and be happy with that, it's all you can hope for against a skilled SWF group.

• ZoneDymo
    ZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946

They have tunneling left and use it ot the fullest

• NursesBootie

I would agree with you, but thrilling got a cooldown. And not a short one, sixty seconds. Thats enough time for two survivors to finish a gen. Thats why i rate BBQ better than thrilling. Without looking at the CD you're right obviously.

• Desh
    Desh Member Posts: 1,118

Sorry that you as a Killer relied so heavily on old Ruin. I can typically throw a string of any perks and usually get a 3k.

• LetsPlayTogether
    LetsPlayTogether Member Posts: 2,117

First, there arent that many SWF Squads and SWF arent that tryharding like you will want us to believe.

Second, there is nothing like "genrushing". Its a killer made up excuse for their lack of skill.

Third, Ruin didnt affect any valid gameplay besides that of new players, who just got frustated by that mechanic.

Conclusion: Your rant is completely unlogical.

• SoylentPixie
    SoylentPixie Member Posts: 1,192

I have personally seen plenty of killers in the red ranks, smashing through teams with terrifying builds that do not contain ruin. I barely see a nurse these days, Billy's are thinning out while people play other killers, even spirit isn't as prominent as she used to be. I don't refute that Ruin's change has made game life more difficult for you, but now is a good time to adapt. I'm not being snarky, I'm really not, but if you relied on Ruin that heavily that you can't play without it, perhaps it really is time for a new build or perhaps even a new killer.

Not every red ranks game is against an SWF, I'm sorry but it just isn't, I've played enough killer and survivor to know that it's impossible for you to get that many full coordinated teams in a row. Some killers really do need to accept that survivors have gotten good at the game with the tools provided to them, rather than blame everything on the mechanics. I have been seeing far less perk slots filled with only 'second chance perks', people are branching out. Yes there are those that will cling to the perks that seem to give them an easier time, but lets be fair...no killer is loading into a lobby without a build aiming to do exactly the same.

Personally I never saw a reason to nerf ruin, I learned the game practicing those skill checks, but neither do I think the sky is falling for killers just because it has been changed. People have given you good examples of how you might be able to change up the game play, but at the end of the day only you can decide if you can make them work for you, or if you are done with the game till they maybe change it back.

Personally I hope it's the former. I genuinely hope you can find a different way to play. Who know's, ruin may one day be reverted, but if not, it's worth a try.

• Zaitsev
    Zaitsev Member Posts: 1,285
  • OtakuBurrito
    OtakuBurrito Member Posts: 512

Of you rely on perks and add ons to be decent with your killers of choice you aren't good at them. That's true is every game.

Ruin and NoED have created a lot of terrible killer habits that are now coming to light. Ruin is actuallybbuffed IF you were already pressuring gems and forcing survivors into unfavorable set ups. Because one ruin is gone you still can run Pop or Overcharge to make escape damn near impossible.

It's the same with BBQ and Cheater. So many killers rely on it and claim they only use it for BP but are now bitching about survivors taking head on and always in lockers and it counters them getting info.

• elvangulley
    elvangulley Member Posts: 569

Please dont run ds bt adrenaline or use keys because they are carrying survivors bringing up terrible survivors to red ramks

• OtakuBurrito
    OtakuBurrito Member Posts: 512

I don't run any of those. The only reason I take borrowed time is on days where I run into too many hook campers.

I take head on self care spine chill and empathy most days. I don't bring in items except a med kit and I only bring that in when I have a feeling I might get a Myers and I want to make friends by giving it to him.

Like you really tried it and I applaud you for that but I'm not another meta whoring survivor. I made it to red ranks solo without running exhaustion perks. And the only reason I started running head on instead of hope or we'll make it is because I think it's funny to watch an oni make the widest turns around lockers because they have PTSD.

So anything else you want to say?

• Deadman316
    Deadman316 Member Posts: 578

Yep, there are still ways to slow down gens. I'd add Tantraphobia(?) as well that's good to use. Ruin was a bad nerf, but using these should cover it.

• Huff
    Huff Member Posts: 1,480

I was gonna comment on how it's totally possible to succeed still and how not every game is SWF, but looks like plenty of people already beat me to it. GJ guys! :)

• BabyClaudette
    BabyClaudette Member Posts: 109

It gave killers free 4ks

• NursesBootie

Oh i feel you now!

My devour, my poor poor devour... :(

• DisappointedUser
    DisappointedUser Member Posts: 420

They never said SWF wasn't the norm. They even released stats to suggest its more than half the games are some form of SWF. They also released stats that suggest a 4-man SWF only wins 9% more than an all solo queue team.. So... connect the dots mate.