Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.

Do I loose a token of Distortion when I'm under the effect of Off the Record?

Options
CaulDrohn
CaulDrohn Member Posts: 1,572
edited April 2020 in Ask the Community

Hello people of the fog,

see title. Distortion prevents the killer from reading my aura for 10 seconds, using a token. Off the record does that as well (for 80s after being unhooked). So one could think Off the Record should idealy prevent the Distortion token from being spent.

BUT, Distortion also removes your scratchmarks while active, which is not covered by off the Record. So I assume the token will be spent even when Off the Record is active. Can someone confirm that?

Edit: I mixed up Discordance and Distortion, I meant the latter, sorry m(.

Post edited by CaulDrohn on

Best Answer

Answers

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314
    edited April 2020
    Options

@CaulDrohn

Discordance doesn't use tokens? It's just an aura reading perk and that's all.

So no, Off the Record doesn't prevent a token from being used if the perk itself doesn't use tokens to begin with? Perhaps you can elaborate more on what you mean by "token". From what i'm reading, I think you've confused Discordance with another perk, since Discordance doesn't work with scratchmarks or tokens.

• FireHazard
    edited April 2020
    Options

@CaulDrohn

Ah, in that case than either three things will happen in this scenario. Either Distortion will still use the token and take priority over Off the Record, Off the Record will take priority over Distortion because the time it lasts out-weighs distortion, OR because their activation requirements are a bit different, they'll both activate at the same time. But Off the Record will last longer because of the amount of time it has over Distortion.

This seems like the more likely scenario, since both activation requirements are different... Which means they can theoretically be activated at different times or at the same time.

It's a tricky question since your aura will be revealed on the hook, which wastes a token, and when you've been unhooked than Off the Record will go into effect. Unless it's tested in-game, than I don't know if the token is saved or not. From personal experience with other perks (with similar scenarios), i'd say it'll still be used regardless. If that's not the case, it doesn't really matter since Off the Record will outlast Distortion anyways, which makes having both perks pointless.

So as a final thought...

It would probably use the token (because the activation requirements are different), and still suppress your scratch marks while Off the Record outlasts it. Even if i'm wrong, having both perks at once is more hindering than helpful in my opinion.

• CaulDrohn
    edited April 2020
    Options

@FireHazard

"It's a tricky question since your aura will be revealed on the hook"

Distortion is not triggered when you are hooked. Only when the Killer or Survivor use a perk that shows the aura to the killer (BBQ, Nurses, OOO an so on).

"they'll both activate at the same time"

Also Off the Record and Distortion will normally not get activated together, there is no perk that shows your aura after being unhooked directly (that would be totally nuts), it could just happen by chance (BBQ being used the second you are unhooked). It much more likely that your Off the Record is already active and then the aura shall be revealed to the killer.

For example, you are unhooked and then healed, and the killer returns with nurses. Does this activate Distortion or not? I think it would, since Distortion grants an effect that is not covered by Off the Record (the Scratchmarks Removal). Which I think would be a shame, but understandable. If Distortion had only the effect of removing Aura, but not scratches, and still a token is spent in this scenario, this would be aweful.

"having both perks at once is more hindering than helpful in my opinion."

That I can agree on ^^. I just stumbled about this question when I was thinking about Babysitter and using perks to prevent the killer from seeing me. Only these two can prevent this. But how do they work together? That I was asking myself ^^.

• FireHazard
    edited April 2020
    Options

"Distortion is not triggered when you are hooked. Only when the Killer or Survivor use a perk that shows the aura to the killer (BBQ, Nurses, OOO an so on)."

Yes I know it's not triggered when you're on a hook, I'm talking about how Distortion wastes a token when you're on the hook WHILE Off the Record is not active. Perhaps I should've elaborated more on that.

"Also Off the Record and Distortion will normally not get activated together, there is no perk that shows your aura after being unhooked directly (that would be totally nuts), it could just happen by chance (BBQ being used the second you are unhooked). It much more likely that your Off the Record is already active and then the aura shall be revealed to the killer.

For example, you are unhooked and then healed, and the killer returns with nurses. Does this activate Distortion or not? I think it would, since Distortion grants an effect that is not covered by Off the Record (the Scratchmarks Removal). Which I think would be a shame, but understandable. If Distortion had only the effect of removing Aura, but not scratches, and still a token is spent in this scenario, this would be aweful."

They can be activated together, but the conditions for this are rare. You'd have to get unhooked and have the Killer use BBQ and Chili (outside of 40 meters) to see if they'd both react. Obviously I don't know if this will happen unless I had 2 other players to help me test it (which I don't). Your question however was asking about what would happen if both were active, that's what i'm trying to figure out for you.

"That I can agree on ^^. I just stumbled about this question when I was thinking about Babysitter and using perks to prevent the killer from seeing me. Only these two can prevent this. But how do they work together? That I was asking myself ^^."

I'll try to get you an answer, but it might take some time. I don't really see the point personally, but whatever.

Post edited by FireHazard on
  • CaulDrohn
    Options

@FireHazard

"I'll try to get you an answer, but it might take some time. I don't really see the point personally, but whatever."

Thanks for your effort :).

I tried to figure it out by using Distortion, Off the Record and Babysitter: Trying to unhook someone while being under Off the Record and still having a Distortion Token left. But I wasn't lucky as of now. One could also use OOO for testing, but that might drain the tokens too fast. I coulnd't test it in custom games, bc i would need two friends, and i only reached one.

• CaulDrohn
    Options

@FireHazard

Interesting! That Off the record trumps Distortion really baffles me, I would never have expected that! So the two perks actually work together more or less regarding the show-auro prevention.

Great, great thanks for all your effort, you and your firends put so much work into answering my questions. I would have never expected someone spending their precious time for my "stupid" questions. I'm really grateful and happy right now :D.

• FireHazard
    edited April 2020
    Options

Well in theory yes, but your thought about the Scratch Marks being added is not the case, since a token needs to be used for the perk to activate. As a result, The Killer could still see my Scratch Marks.

Since the Scratch Marks part didn't work, combining the perks together is more or less a pointless endeavor unfortunately. It was still worth the look, and definitely gave some in-sight on how some similar perks work together. I thought that they would work together because their activation times were different, but that doesn't seem to matter when you're dealing with perks with similar outcomes.

So in the end, remember this if you come across a scenario that's similar to this one. It seems that the perk with the most output will usually take priority over the other, an example of this is Shadowborne and Monitor & Abuse. If my memory is correct, Shadowborne gives you its FOV increase while ignoring M&As FOV increase/decrease, since Shadowborne gives more FOV. The perks naturally don't combine together, so this is the end result because of that.

In this case, the outcome is slightly different. Instead of the "strongest" perk taking priority, it was the one that gave the longer outcome. So because Off the Record lasts long, it takes priority over Distortion, since Distortion only lasts for 10 seconds when compared to Off the Records 80 seconds. You could argue that they're both useful in their own way, since Distortion doesn't require an unhook to activate... But it's up to the players to decide which is better to them.

• CaulDrohn
    Options

@FireHazard

I know the scratch marks will remain, maybe didn't state that clearly. I just meant the two perks work together when you look at the aura prevention. Or better say, do not compete. And I think the scratchmark prevention is the lesser effect of Distortion, you really want the removed auras with this perk, scratchmarks are just a gimmick. I bet a considerable amout of the playerbase is not even aware of this secondary effect.

You write combining the perks is more or less pointless. I disagree there. An active off the record means you don't have to make precautions for keeping your tokens. Take BBQ, the first instance is useful, bc you get the info the killer uses it. But with each next hook, you better hide in a locker or come near enough to not loose another token, since you only have 2 left. When you have Off the record up and running, you can just skip that and proceed with whatever you were doing. Or take Nurses Calling, the token will be spent informing you that the killer has it, but the 10s usually are not enough to heal up. With Off the record you can blatanly heal and don't waste your tokens as well.

I see Distortion as a great way for getting intel of what the killer users, so you can play around it. Or is tells you that you don't have to mind for BBQ and such things. The aura reading perks are usually quite powerful, so get a confirmation on what the killer uses (or don't uses) is really neat. Esp. when you have no other real way of knowing, like with I'm all ears or bitter murmur. And Off the record can help you manage your tokens. Is the combination esp powerful? Hell no! But I think it's working good enough for gimicky / meme builds.

Regarding the activation, I think it's not about the "strongest", but just first come- first serve. When Off the record is active, the aura is already surpressed, so the trigger for Distortion, the aura about to be shown, is not present, so no token gets spent. At least it lokks its implemented this way.

• FireHazard
    edited April 2020
    Options

Yes i'm aware that scratch marks are just the sub-power of the perk, it was just some side-information that I went off of to determine if Distortion was even working without the token cost. It wasn't, so a token cost is required for it to work.

I did say that combining both perks are pointless, but perhaps I didn't elaborate on this. What I meant is that combining two perks with similar powers is not beneficial, it's most hindering if you think about it. I personally don't know if Distortion will work outside of Off the Records activation, which I don't see why it wouldn't, but trying to combine both abilities is not really beneficial... One perk over takes the other, since that perk has a longer activation time than the other. If you used them separately, than that's actually useful for an anti-aura build since Distortion can block your aura from being seen 3 times and Off the Record can help out while you're healing against a Nurse's Calling user OR a BBQ user.

In my honest opinion, it's good that they both don't work together. Since Off the Record blocks any token use from Distortion, which would waste Distortions tokens if they were still used during Off the Records activation time. So when you look at it that way... This scenario is actually the best one you could get, since Off the Record will take over for Distortion, and than Distortion will be used on it's own for separate situations. If they both worked at the same time, than Distortion would waste it's tokens and than be left with nothing to use after Off the Record ends.

At the end of the day, I think that using two similar perks will only yield mixed results, since one perk naturally takes the lead over the other. Not always, but it really depends on what you're combining. This means that sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. In this case... It does work, but the results are different from what you might've expected.

• CaulDrohn
    Options

@FireHazard

"In my honest opinion, it's good that they both don't work together."

I just recognized that we mean different things with the term "work together", actually the opposites. You seem to mean with it two things work in parallel, no interaction between them. I meant it the other way, two things complementing each other. That explains why it felt like we disagreed on things when actually we say more or less the same xD.

"This scenario is actually the best one you could get, since Off the Record will take over for Distortion, and than Distortion will be used on it's own for separate situations. If they both worked at the same time, than Distortion would waste it's tokens and than be left with nothing to use after Off the Record ends."

Now that makes so much more sense for me ^^.

"At the end of the day, I think that using two similar perks will only yield mixed results, since one perk naturally takes the lead over the other. Not always, but it really depends on what you're combining. This means that sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. In this case... It does work, but the results are different from what you might've expected."

Yep, like using two exhaustion perks. Take SB and one other, you will likely always use SB, since it hinders every other exhaustion perk. That Distortion tokens are not uses while Off the record is active was really unexpected, but a welcome surprise :).

• FireHazard
    Options

I guess it depends how you look at it, everyone has a different view and words things differently. Also i'm glad you understood what I meant, it's the best scenario you could've gotten in my opinion.

Anyways, it seems you've gotten all you need from this question. I'm glad I was able to help you out with this one and somewhat with the other, if you have any future questions than don't be afraid to ask them in this sub-forum.