Why do ppl get angry over this so-called "tunneling?"

IGutlessIWonder
IGutlessIWonder Member Posts: 8
edited August 2018 in General Discussions
Had a game where a guy accused me of tunneling, how tunneling is camping, and basically just throwing every excuse out there of y he lost. I mean I had a bad game overall too, just getting used to Freddy. The thing is I wasn't even aware I was doing tunneling, and I still don't think I was.

End of the game, I got blood warden going and only two ppl in dream state, one has been hit (angry person) one hasn't. If ur the killer which one do u go for?

Answers

• Abyssionknight
    Abyssionknight Member Posts: 69

People can't know your intent. All they know is that tunneling is oppressive and not fun (and people play games for fun).

So when they're tunneled they get upset because their time is being wasted. They don't know if you're intentionally tunneling or not, or if you saw anyone else or not. All they know is that they're being tunneled, it's unfun, and a waste of their time. So they get upset and complain about it.

It's no different than killers complaining about pallet loops or time wasters or anything else. People don't want to experience unfun things, and so they complain. Unlike pallets or time wasters though, tunneling isn't always done intentionally.

• pauloandrade22
    pauloandrade22 Member Posts: 697

@Abyssionknight said:
    People can't know your intent. All they know is that tunneling is oppressive and not fun (and people play games for fun).

So when they're tunneled they get upset because their time is being wasted. They don't know if you're intentionally tunneling or not, or if you saw anyone else or not. All they know is that they're being tunneled, it's unfun, and a waste of their time. So they get upset and complain about it.

It's no different than killers complaining about pallet loops or time wasters or anything else. People don't want to experience unfun things, and so they complain. Unlike pallets or time wasters though, tunneling isn't always done intentionally.

And tunneling can back fire really hard too. Looping is on the survivor (or a nurse) to backfire.

• IGutlessIWonder
    I just cant help but think this just part of the game. I'm not one for arguing about pallet looping, in my eyes its up to the killer how long he spends chasing someone, there are some good survivors out there.

am I wrong in saying that tunneling and camping r totally different?
  • IGutlessIWonder
    I do understand your points of view, and again I just see it as part of the game. Also, just bc I hooked/sacrifice the first person doesn't mean the killer is targeting u. With this type of thinking it makes it so anyone can use the excuse: "I'm hooked first, the killer must be tunneling me."

And just a reminder, I hooked said angry player in my op at the end of the game.

I find who I find and I go after them, I don't target ppl, not even when I'm carrying a perk that goes with having an obsession.
  • Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256

Generally, a good killer won't lose a survivor, so tunneling someone can lead to them dying very quickly. Being hooked is bad, but you also come off of the hook injured. You're leaving a blood trail, groaning and moaning loudly, and the killer likely on their way back to find you before the blood dries.

So, being tunneled and killed quickly is easy, and it sucks.

• IGutlessIWonder
    I supposed some of us can agree to disagree on the matter. Happy gaming to all, and dont tbag those hapless killers, either, let em lose with dignity.
  • Kilrane
    Kilrane Member Posts: 89
    For me, a Killer main, tunneling is when I hook someone and chase them exclusively after letting them get unhooked.
  • Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144

Survivors are generally upset over their own failure.

• Sarief
    Sarief Member Posts: 543

You tunnel one surv. You facecamp. He get's unhooked. You only chase him and hit. BT kicks in. You chase. You hook. He's saved. You ignore everyone and only go for that surv. He get's BT yet again. You tunnel further. You hook. He's dead. Everyone else got out. You derank.

From his perspective: spawn. die. respawn. die. respawn. gameover. It's called "noob problem" , but becomes different in context of survivor in DbD.

The game does not feel "fair" when you do not have a chance to survive and get sacrificed (or just stupidly wasted) by other survivors and killer.

the game is balance. But it is not fair (c) MCote

ps: "noob problem" - you can't do anything because players who have much higher skill and abilities than you don't let you get a chance to do anything. To be precise, as a noob you cannot identify that chance, as it's pretty bleak.

Getting frustrated at unfairnes is basic human emotion. Don't let it get under your skin

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2018

Play how you want.As long as you're not hacking, it's fine.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • iceman2kx
    iceman2kx Member Posts: 462

It's just a salty survivor spewing their typical toxic trash because you killed them. If they call you a tunneler, just call them a gen rusher. The idea of calling them a gen rusher will sound preposterous to them because they are doing the objective and that's the point. You're doing the same thing. Honestly, just play whatever way is effective for you because if you try and play by their "rules", you're just giving them advantages. When they are tea bagging you at the gate, you will wish you didn't let that little injured survivor hop off instead of whacking them because you didn't want to be a "tunneler".

Really with salty trolls there's no point of logical thinking or reasoning so I find it's best to fight fire with fire and troll back or just say "GG" and leave the match so they don't get any satisfaction.

• iceman2kx
    iceman2kx Member Posts: 462

It's just a salty survivor spewing their typical toxic trash because you killed them. If they call you a tunneler, just call them a gen rusher. The idea of calling them a gen rusher will sound preposterous to them because they are doing the objective and that's the point. You're doing the same thing. Honestly, just play whatever way is effective for you because if you try and play by their "rules", you're just giving them advantages. When they are tea bagging you at the gate, you will wish you didn't let that little injured survivor hop off instead of whacking them because you didn't want to be a "tunneler".

Really with salty trolls there's no point of logical thinking or reasoning so I find it's best to fight fire with fire and troll back or just say "GG" and leave the match so they don't get any satisfaction.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200
    edited August 2018

@IGutlessIWonder said:
    Had a game where a guy accused me of tunneling, how tunneling is camping, and basically just throwing every excuse out there of y he lost. I mean I had a bad game overall too, just getting used to Freddy. The thing is I wasn't even aware I was doing tunneling, and I still don't think I was.

End of the game, I got blood warden going and only two ppl in dream state, one has been hit (angry person) one hasn't. If ur the killer which one do u go for?

Tunneling is when the survivor keeps working at a 33% or 66% completed gen instead of switching the gen and starting to repair a new one.

Oh wait we are talking about killer tunneling? Thats when a killer doesnt stops targeting a survivor after one or two hooks, doesnt switch target and hook another one.

For both sides tunneling can be called common sense and you would be stupid not to tunnel. (unless you wanna lose intentionally to derank ofc)

players complain about tunneling because they are bad losers, especially survivors because they know that they are op and still lost, that hurts even more

• Link
    Link Member Posts: 135
    edited August 2018

I mainly tunnel in certain situations. When i hook someone i go patrol more gens but stay near the hook, about a few meters away from heartbeat trigger so i can come back. Generally if i find another person i will chase them, if not i go to the hook and if i find someone i chase them. But if i find the unhooker healing the hooked person, you bet your ass im gonna go for the injured one, It's simply picking off easy targets. In any situation really if i come across an injured and healthy survivor i will go for the injured one, it isn't just when someone got off the hook. Which is why i prefer to call it "securing a kill". The only time a survivor really has a right to "complain" (quotation marks because even then they shouldn't complain cause they helped their team and got lots of boldness points) is if they managed to successfully loop you the entire game, You need to know when you're tunneling too hard. To sum it all up, ignore it. tunneling is a good strategy if you do it right, the survivor should of been thinking about what they could of done differently to not get caught in the first place or try to think of a better escape plan if caught, rather then just basically say you're not allowed to kill them yet.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@Link said:
    I mainly tunnel in certain situations. When i hook someone i go patrol more gens but stay near the hook, about a few meters away from heartbeat trigger so i can come back. Generally if i find another person i will chase them, if not i go to the hook and if i find someone i chase them. But if i find the unhooker healing the hooked person, you bet your ass im gonna go for the injured one, It's simply picking off easy targets. In any situation really if i come across an injured and healthy survivor i will go for the injured one, it isn't just when someone got off the hook. Which is why i prefer to call it "securing a kill". The only time a survivor really has a right to "complain" (quotation marks because even then they shouldn't complain cause they helped their team and got lots of boldness points) is if they managed to successfully loop you the entire game, You need to know when you're tunneling too hard. To sum it all up, ignore it. tunneling is a good strategy if you do it right, the survivor should of been thinking about what they could of done differently to not get caught in the first place or try to think of a better escape plan if caught, rather then just basically say you're not allowed to kill them yet.

Well, you actually need to identify the weak survivor of the team and tunnel him to death as fast as possible because he doesnt know how to exploit the broken map design.
    This is how the game is played, thats what I was told when I asked what I am supposed to do against a good looper. They just said "switch target" or "play nurse".

its sad to what the game has boiled down, but we gotta deal with it

• Link
    Link Member Posts: 135

Thats a good point, I mostly do that when i come across a legacy and a normal surv doing a gen, i also basically ignore teabagging object of obsession users at the start. I know they're just sitting at pallet town and not doing gens so i dont need to worry about him