If DBD had a complete offline mode...

Yamaoka
Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321

... Would you still play the game with other people "IF" the artificial intelligence was really decent and fun to play with and against?

Comments

• Coriander
    Coriander Member Posts: 1,119

Heck yeah, I love co-op games against an AI if it's designed that way (stealth games like this are amazing). There is a Meg AI in the tutorial who's better than me, though; so there's that.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

Not if queues got bad.

• Coriander
    Coriander Member Posts: 1,119

I mean I would do both, probably. I enjoy games where I can help other actual people, so if it were me + team against a person or against AI, I'd goof around with both modes.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,615

I don't know, i'd have to try it out first.

Also, would you be able to customize the AI like you can customize the character(s) you play?

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321

Of course! Being able to toy around with all kinds of modifiers/difficulties etc would allow all games to be somewhat different similar to current games thus resulting in fun interactions even despite the fact you're going against ai's.

• Schmierbach
    Schmierbach Member Posts: 468

AI is to predictable for this game. Killer AI will have no mind game potential and its already been proven that a survivor usually can loop a killer around the map by throwing the pallets generously and the gens will still get finished before the survivor goes down. The AI will literally have to cheat to be a threat and even then, people will figure out when the AI will react in a certain way and take advantage of it. Survivor AI in the same light will literally be way to easy and dumb to be worth playing against as killer or will literally run every loop perfectly without mind gaming at the highest efficiency possible resulting in a frustrating experience.

Essentially the guess work involved in the game will be removed and either the AI will know everything and play around that or play stupid and let you win on purpose. I just can't see Behavior dedicating enough time to make an AI that could challenge good players without literally making it cheat. Alien Isolation for example had incredible AI, but even then it had funding from a giant like SEGA to make that happen. Id prefer playing against real people at the end of the day, its a different experience every game and with people playing the offline mode the online queues will negatively suffer.

If I wanted Behavior to dedicate resources to a new gamemode Id rather it either be a competitive mode without SWF that is Balanced for that, or and a 2 killer gamemode of some sort. Considering neither one of those will happen and will also negatively effect queues, I think I'm good with what we have.

• cortown711
    cortown711 Member Posts: 21

I'd probably play offline more.solo survivor is miserable.

• TheRockstarKnight
    TheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 2,171

It might be fun; but I don't think this theoretical mode could coexist alongside the actual online game.

Being able to control a match and it's AI would allow you to experience most of the fun aspects of this game without any of the bad (slurs in post game chat, trolls in game, facecamping, genrushing etc.).

For quite a few people I don't think there'd be that much incentive to play online; at least not normally anyway (trolls would still wanna troll obviously).

I worry that you'd hemorrhage the online playerbase and kill the game for the people that enjoy facing other people.

• metalklok
    metalklok Member Posts: 632

it would be cool to mess around with killers that you haven't played yet so you dont go in blind in an online match.

• PigNRun
    PigNRun Member Posts: 2,428

That would be nice. Alien Isolation did an excellent job with the AI of the Xenomorph that learns where the player hides, so that the player is forced to never stick to the same area. This could be applied to DbD by giving the AI the ability to learn how the Survivor/Killer runs loops and react accordingly.