WHY PYRAMID HEAD!!!!

13»

Comments

• DisappointedUser
    DisappointedUser Member Posts: 420

Anyone thinking it could or would have been Jason was just delusional. And have no understanding of why it was never going to be Jason.

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703

As I've mentioned previously, I think Silent Hill is a great fit for the game and the DLC look very well done...but I'm also of the opinion that the original Silent Hill games were not that mind-blowingly fantastic. They were very good with a unsettling, creepy atmosphere, but there wasn't that much to them. I am a fan, but it definitely wasn't without it's flaws.

Take Silent Hill 2, (Pyramid Head's debut): It was basically walk around getting lost, shoot one of maybe 3 types of creature in the fog or dark tunnel, find a key, unlock door, do one or two easy puzzles.

Now it could be said that DBD is simply run around, avoid the killer, fix generators, unhook a friend, and run out the exit. Sounds simple enough.

But it's just this belief that Silent Hill was this revolutionary game that changed the horror game genre forever. That's just not true. Whilst it was a commercial success with a big following, Silent Hill came three years after Resident Evil (which was influenced by the original Alone in the Dark games).

Resident Evil was a monumental success and many of it's aspects where used in Silent Hill (collecting coins/medals and putting them in slots to open things, for example).

It could be down to how important a franchise is to the individual. Maybe they hold it in such high regard as it's close to their hearts.

I myself just love the imagery of Silent Hill more than the games themselves. I also admittedly enjoyed both the films.

I would personally like a the controversial Mahunt turned in to a chapter with James Earl Cash as survivor and Piggsy as the killer. Now that's a game close to my heart, but others might not rate it so highly, which is fine. I doubt BHVR would want another chainsaw killer and another pig 😁

By anyway, looking forward to playing as the Pyramid.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

Yeah they way they were teasing us I was expecting someone completely different but I'm not disappointed cause I've been saying for a year PH would make a good addition. They hyped it up too much. I seriously thought it was going to be Candyman but between those two id rather have PH. Then when the devs were talking how "iconic horror figure since their inception" they made it sound like they got the rights to Jason or some other well known name.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318

Exactly, PH is perfect for dbd but I expected something better lol

• Petraaahh
    Petraaahh Member Posts: 208

Define better?

For the many who’ve clearly expressed excitement for this chapter?

Or just for you personally?

we’ll have words with the devs in the future to make sure future chapters are in line with your personal expectations🙄

• Petraaahh

Its all about perspective. In retrospect many games that were revolutionary and iconic can appear simplistic and basic now.

That doesn’t change what they did for their platform or genre. You’ve said it in your own post but I’ll repeat it here silent hill had a truly amazing atmosphere. Which Changed the way we viewed horror in gaming completely.

Pyramid head was a whole new threat something beyond the more simplistic ghouls and zombies of other horrors. He and the games in general were far deeper than what was on the surface! Which in all honesty is hard to say for many horror games that came before. (and after)

Now we see this done successfully in many media’s but at the time and especially in gaming it was completely new.

also resident evil became far more successful because it went down the action route (action survival) which was the popular genre for the time most definitely. Whereas silent hill stuck to its pure horror routes. Not to discredit Resident evil though, the first game especially was also extremely important for horror in gaming.

sorry for the lecture 😛

• RizeAki
    RizeAki Member Posts: 1,209

There was only like one other option lol and this one has a lot more to it with options on power, perks, and cosmetics. (Not to mention the difficulty potatoes will have trying to blind him lol)

• Waffleyumboy

Chill out I said PH fits perfectly. Don't gotta come out and insult me for giving my opinion especially when it lines up with yours.

• Creepy_Chloe_lol
    Creepy_Chloe_lol Member Posts: 22

I feel like most of these people haven't even played silent Hill lol. If you have props to you but pyramid head was the most iconic horror character in a game and movie! I get it wasn't candyman but everyone just assumed it was gonna be candyman due to one tweet being let out. That tweet was too obvious that it was not gonna be candy man, they would never let out a huge hint like that!

• Petraaahh

I never insulted you just a little bit of sass! my problem with your post is that it’s not constructive at all. Just saying I expected something better is so subjective and says nothing to the devs.

imagine going to a restaurant “how was the food? Well it worked perfectly but I want something better” like nah that don’t cut it.

• Creepy_Chloe_lol
    Creepy_Chloe_lol Member Posts: 22

Yeah and if you really wanted Jason you could of played Friday the 13th, and you could watch any other iconic horror movie character in their movie. The devs didn't NEED to put these classic characters into one game that they spent so much time on working on negotiating with the creators to even put them in the game. 🙄😂

• Waffleyumboy

This isn't the feedback section. I don't have to address the devs in all of my comments.

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703
    edited May 2020

No it's good discussion.

Resident Evil featured a good variation of enemies beyond simple zombies and ghouls, there were a healthy mix of animal hybrids and of course Tyrant, the final boss, who felt really special at the time.

The sequel continued to add imaginative foes to the mix like the lickers and hunters. There was again a good selection of impressive bosses too.

Whilst Resident Evil is about bio hazards which cause mutations and the walking dead, Silent Hill has a far sinister feel and sense of dread.

The creatures look like poor souls with their only purpose to exist being to stalk, torture and kill.

Whilst being similar in base gameplay and being of the content genre, they're both unique in their presentation of horror.

They really are the StreetFighter and Mortal Kombat of horror gaming.

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

I'm happy it not Jason Voorhees most overrated killer. really happy what we got my go to games on ps1 were resident evil,resident evil 3 being my fav and silent hill so really happy.

only other game that would of worked would be something from clocktower.

• Dead_by_chrissy
    Dead_by_chrissy Member Posts: 120

Yeah but its no where near like DBD in any aspect besides horror. Its a single player story game not an asymmetrical multiplayer game.

• dangitben
    dangitben Member Posts: 58

i think he's nice

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

what is his own game?i only known him being in silent hill games.

• Demogordon_Ramsay
    Demogordon_Ramsay Member Posts: 1,503

What better options? Candyman? Jason.

Bitch, please.

• Petraaahh

I agree with you completely! I certainly didn’t want to discount resident evil as I love both franchises and think both are equally relevant to horror in gaming.

• OniKobayashi
    OniKobayashi Member Posts: 274

Yes. I would. One of the more iconic characters getting screwed over by BHVR's wonderful idea of "balanced" and/or seeing them getting dragged into some legal dispute like Gun Media would be very disappointing.