Really Pyramid head?

Options
13»

Comments

• Jasonisanicefella
    Jasonisanicefella Member Posts: 377
    Options

First of all I have already stated my age, born in 1978 and a gamer since atari 2600. I played silent hill 1 to 3 when they just came out.

Good games, scary games but niche games. A property that sold less than 10 million copies in 21 years of business is not a big property by any stretch of the imagination.

Resident evil 5 on its own sold more copies of the entirety of the silent hill franchise.

These are the facts, you may consider pyramid head iconic to YOU and that's ok, the data of how much exposure this franchise had though do not qualify it for being "iconic" and "a milestone".

Not in a million years.

Silent hill never crossed into the main stream, and its IP pertaining the horror genre is NOTHING compared to Halloween or Friday the 13th.

These are numbers, and numbers are not arguable.

If the marketing team had hyped the chapter as "the scariest chapter ever" I would have been ok with it, but this chapter is not a big iconic property.

This chapter is a niche property compared to the giants

• FairyyTail
    FairyyTail Member Posts: 11
    edited May 2020
    Options

kinda disappointed with this chapter, this killer seems unbeatable and I was hoping for either Pennywise or Jason!!! Plus now with his little powers my Lithe + Dance With Me combo wont necessarily wont on them! EEEEE Im actually so mad because my combo works 95% of the time (Do not ask why I posted this at 4am XD)

• Steve0333
    Steve0333 Member Posts: 529
    Options

Are people exaggerating silent hill's "iconic" status. While it is probably the second most known horror video game (resident evil being 1st) there really hasn't been much competition in the video game horror market. Horror games tend to be pretty bad and made by indie developers. The fact that RE and Silent hill are decades old and there still hasn't been a horror game that beats them in popularity speaks to how poor the horror gaming market has been. But the same can be said for movies too.

On the other hand, if you are a gamer you probably know of Silent Hill and people who play Dbd are gamers, so for the intended audience it is iconic.

• Jasonisanicefella
    Options

I would agree with you if dbd wasn't dbd, BUT dbd is the game that has been able to licence giants such as:

• Halloween
    • A Nightmare on elm street
    • and Stranger things

And these are OBJECTIVELY big properties, Silent Hill is an absolute nothing compared to them.

It doesn't make sense to hype this chapter as iconic and a milestone in a game who already owns properties which are hugely more popular and influential than silent hill.

With their message the devs have failed to deliver because the hype they created could have been satisfied only by a property that could stand toe to toe with the 3 big ones dbd already has.

This property could ONLY be FR13, IT, Alien and maybe Chucky or Pinhead (maybe).

Pyramid head does not qualify, and I have nothing against pyramid head

• Storm000
    Storm000 Member Posts: 6
    Options

I actually jumped and screamed with hype when I saw pyramid's head teaser, I've always loved Silent Hill. I don't get why people are calling it lame and then saying they were expecting Pennywise, like come on, what the hell does even Pennywise do? Offer you candy and lure you? At least Pyramid Head is a pretty special guy at least in Silent Hill.

• Steve0333
    Options

Stranger Things is popular now but it has yet to prove it will stand the test of time. Silent Hill has, at least in the gamer world, stood the test of time. So in that sense it is more iconic than Stranger Things. I didnt know what Stranger Things was when it was announced. As someone who doesn't watch a lot of Nerflix I had no idea. While I'm not super familiar with the Silent Hill lore, I at least know of Silent Hill. Most gamers, even if they hadn't played the games in any depth, have heard of Silent Hill.

• TheeHappyDalek
    TheeHappyDalek Member Posts: 46
    Options

You know what annoys me most about this pyramid head thing? They had a statement out there that said this is a licensed killer that's been around since the inception. To me and to most people I would assume inception means the beginning. The beginning of horror would be Dracula, Dr Frankenstein, Dr Frankenstein's monster or wolfman. Even if you land interpret that as no they don't mean that old They mean modern horror, the inception of modern horror. Okay? Halloween was the first in October of 1978. Seven months later was alien, shortly after that was the shining. Friday the 13th came out around this time.

The first silent Hill was in 1999, just under 22 years ago. That's not the inception of anything. It's not even the first horror video game. There was a goofy little Friday the 13th game way before silent Hill.

I agree with you I was disappointed as well but I also felt like that was a load of crap. Pyramid Head did not come out at the inception of anything. Not horror movies or games or characters. in the grand scheme of things it's relatively recent.

• Jasonisanicefella
    Options

Come on Steve, I do respect and share your love for silent hill but comparing it to stranger things?

Stranger things had a success than silent hill never had, it crossed the boundaries and became main stream.

You cannot compare a hugely successful brand, in terms of numbers of sales and views with a decently successful video game series that was literally destroyed 10 to 1 (sales wise) by his competitor resident evil.

It is a good property but, by dbd standards and number wise, it is not by any stretch a great catch.

• Owlzey
    Owlzey Member Posts: 442
    Options

I don't get it either. Characters like Pennywise, Chucky etc are cool and all, but Pyramid Head is on a whole nother level of horror imo. Much scarier than any of these guys. I mean come on, if someone as small as Chucky was chasing me, I'd probably just laugh.

Personally I'm dead excited for this chapter. I did recognise the '4' looking like PH but I had my doubts. I'm so glad it was him in the end.

• Steve0333
    Options

There has been lots of books and films that were popular during their time that were soon forgotten. 20 years from now will most people know of Stranger things? Who knows. Silent Hill is still a well known game and it's more than 20 years old. Its had many sequals and even movies made after it. (Even though the films sucked that's beside the point.) Stranger Things just hasn't been around long enough to prove any kind of iconic status. That takes at least a decade.

• Jasonisanicefella
    Options

This is a matter of numbers:

Silent Hill 1 and 2 sold close to 2 million copies, this puts them at the same level of Alien isolation in terms of sales.

This is 1/6 of the sales of Resident evil 1+2, not counting the remakes.

Stranger thing is in the top 3 most successful shows of the market leader streaming platform.

Stranger things Season 3 debuted with a whopping 40 millions households account watching it during the launch weekend.

This is not even a fair comparison, silent hill is a small property by dbd standards and this is not disputable.

It is a fitting chapter, and it seems also fun and well done, but this is not iconic nor a milestone by dbd standard.

The marketing push should have been focused on the scary element rather than the iconic aspect.

• megansnotcreative
    megansnotcreative Member Posts: 23
    Options

I think I can speak for a lot of people when I say he definitely wasn't our main idea of an iconic killer & with all of the trailers/hints pointing at Candyman or Jason, however I can't lie the new chapter and killer both do look extremely fun and good. I had other ideas in mind for this chapter, but I can't say I'm disappointed, because I think this chapter really popped off.

• Jasonisanicefella
    Options

Yes I respect that, nothing to object with your analysis.

I also like the chapter, I am simply disappointed because I was expecting something much bigger like Jason

• mylesmylo
    mylesmylo Member Posts: 354
    Options

Teasing? Nobody told you to listen to everyone's theories, I always ignore them for this exact reason 😂 cant blame devs for that, they weren't the ones putting together crazy theories, it's the content creators you listening to.

• mylesmylo
    mylesmylo Member Posts: 354
    Options

Yeah I think like 6 or 7 movies I has, and also reboot on the way.