Optimization for console?

The Graphics overhaul and cross play are two features that greatly excite me, with that being said however it does raise one question of concern...can the console’s keep up?

I recently played a match on my ps4 on the overhauled treatment theater map against a doctor and let me tell you it felt more akin to a slideshow than a video game. The frames were in the 20s often dipping into the low teens.

I'm imagining how bad that this could get with the overhauled graphics. And also imagining facing an opponent on Pc running at 90 FPS whilst I’m running on a stop animation production.

I hope no one sees this as a complaint as I’m just slightly concerned. And wondering if there’s been any word from BHVR as to how this could possibly be addressed or if it is already.

Comments

• goatslinger
    goatslinger Member Posts: 522

The consoles...specifically ps4 pro and xbox one x can definitely keep keep. The devs ability or want to is a different story though.

• ThisGuuy83
    ThisGuuy83 Member Posts: 1,303

Dude I don't even have a pro, but the graphics for GTA 5,RDR2, and COD on-line have clearly proven the ps4 could run dbd so much better. They just don't wanna invest the time and $ into it, which is really messed up, because we deserve it.

• AgitatedPenguin
    AgitatedPenguin Member Posts: 93

My guess would be that the devs planning more for next gen now it's not far away so don't see the point in trying to optimise the current gen for consoles.

• goatslinger
    goatslinger Member Posts: 522

Yeah, I really don't believe the devs just can't figure out consoles. I'm sure there are numbers we are not privy to that make their decisions but this game should run just as well on a console as it does a PC and it's not even close.

• MyNamePett
    MyNamePett Member Posts: 8
    edited May 2020

If true that would be fair. I just wish we got some official word from BHVR on this.

It feels disconcerting that they haven’t mentioned what these huge changes could mean for console. And whether they have any plans for this gen.

Will current platforms miss the graphic overhaul entirely? What about cross play? It certainly sounded as if they planned cross play for the current generation but with the dip in FPS I think it would be problematic and surely they can’t do one without the other?

Or maybe they are just going to ignore current gen all together, which is fine I suppose... I just wish they would confirm what their plan was.

A simple yes we are doing a graphics overhaul and cross play but only on next gen would have answered everything.

Or even if they plan to optimize console on this generation but that’s wishful thinking at this point.

Post edited by MyNamePett on
  • OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

I'm pretty sure the graphic update will resolve many optimization issues console currently has.

You can see that console can even run really detailed games like the witcher 3,GTA 5,RDR 2 etc.

So this graphic update shouldn't be a problem if they are doing it right.

• AgitatedPenguin
    AgitatedPenguin Member Posts: 93

I'd like to know how much of the community is actually on console. That could be an indication on how much of a priority it is.

Why bother with keeping console players happy when 80% of the player base is on PC could be a mentality.

I mainly play on PS4 myself so I would love optimization but unless it's getting saved for next gen I don't know when it will come.

My hope is that with Sony basically confirming PS4 backwards compatibility for PS5, my assumption would be that they are saving a massive optimisation patch for next gen in which there won't be a new PS5/XB version but we will just play a massively optimised PS4/XBO version on the new consoles.

• Seiji212
    Seiji212 Member Posts: 183
    edited May 2020

This seems like flawed logic considering the mobile and switch releases, and especially so when they're planning cross-play. Considering how much cost and time goes into console updates, I think it's more likely that optimization up to this point would have been wasted in light of a planned graphic overhaul, and whatever that overhaul entails will probably include those optimization tweaks or be better planned around them now that there's more experience. It genuinely annoys me when people correlate the amount of pc players vs console players to the devs intentions moving forward. Clearly they aren't putting most of their eggs into one basket here.

Edit: As for the last thing, if I have to pay for DbD all over again on the next gen console, and build up from scratch then it better not be essentially identical to the current one or I won't be buying it and will instead just keep my old xbox.

• megdonalds
    megdonalds Member Posts: 742
    edited May 2020

They did only wrong promises for optimizations all the years and It will never happen, which is just a shame. Instead they released the game on the even slower Switch and made a crappy mobile version. So the priority is and will always be moneyz.

• DwightOP
    DwightOP Member Posts: 2,328

BHVR office be like:

"...and then we told them to optimise dbd..."

• DwightOP
    DwightOP Member Posts: 2,328

It's not even running well on pc compared to other games lol.

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772

They really need to figure this out. Theres nothing worse than a bully squad that thinks theyre good simply because they beat you in a match where you were getting 10 fps.

Im considering submitting a bug report everytime this happens. Maybe it would help 🤷‍♂️