The way to make the map item useful.

So how many times have you seen the map in survivors' hands? Probably close to never. It is a very niche item.

Most people are smart enough to memorize the placement of gens and exit gates, so it's main purpose is not very useful.

How can we solve this problem? The answer is

Minimap.

By having the map in your hand you'll have a minimap circle in your corner, which will act as a minimap in rogue-like games. Initially the minimap is covered in fog of war, and by using the map you will gradually open the map, which will show all the obstacles, walls and passages. It will still burn away, so you won't be able to cover big maps without addons. The radius of minimap could be 16m or less.

Some addons could allow to track things like windows and pallets (irisdescent or very rare addon), killer belongnings, perhaps other survivors or even the killer, or just increase the radius of the minimap.

In return, killers would have the minimap initially or gain a non-teachable perk, which will allow to see the minimap, perhaps, with different effects.

These changes might increase the amount of map items in games, which might be able to counter labyrinth-like maps as Gideon Meatplant and speed up the learning of the maps and props for novices ( novices have problems with running because they don't know where to run ending up in a corner, whereas pros know a little where to go to have better chances.)

It's time to dream about the perfect DBD. Please discuss.

Yeah, it might sound OP. But the map will take the slot of either toolbox, medkit or flashlight. The minimap will also split up survivor's attention, making it easier to mindgame them or lure them into the trap.

Yes, I'm a killer main.

Comments

• Jb94
    Jb94 Member Posts: 209

Maps are good as they are?

This is a really convoluted suggestion for something that fulfils a niche purpose within the game.

• CLAUDETTEINABUSH
    CLAUDETTEINABUSH Member Posts: 2,210

I actually don't use maps that much because I have a limited supply of maps. It's my personal favorite item since it's useful in every match and I always forget where the second door is. Imo they don't need an upgrade.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

I like using maps. Next to medkits, they are probably one of the items I would bring on a whim. They are insanely useful for not just yourself, but your team if you have a red map with the right addons. Never underestimate them.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,357

Feel like the biggest reason against using maps is just the rarity of them. The only maps in the game are green or red, whereas you can constantly have a decent supply of medkits since even the brown version is useful.

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

Like others have said, I’d use maps more if they were less rare. I get a ton of map add ons but very few maps. But I actually like using them as they are now, they’re useful and give you easy bloodpoints.

• Stinde
    Stinde Member Posts: 459

Green map with the red twine and stamp/hatch addon is VERY useful. Pink map with stamp and crystal/glass beam even more useful, especially in solo survivor games. With Inner Strenght the value of a map is even higher.

I personally love glass beam because I can mark hex totems with it if I happen to see it in a middle of a chase so my teammates can go cleanse it. It's also very useful on marking the most central generator at the start of the match to avoid 3-gen. At the end of the game I can mark an open exit gate with it for survivor who got rescued and might not have been able to focus when the exit gates were powered. I LOVE MAPS. I wish they were more common.

• Stinde
    Stinde Member Posts: 459

And one other benefit from pink map or green map with twine:

You see traps. With map you can check if a window is safe to vault when a Trapper chases you. You can go trigger Hag's traps when she's elsewhere or avoid traps in chase.