Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

The strongest survivor perk in the game

JustCats
JustCats Member Posts: 298

Is teammate 2, 3, and 4. If your team plays as a cohesive unit you don't need any other perks to be competitive as a survivor against any killer build. It also doesn't require comms to do - that's why so many solo groups get accused of being SWF, they're just good and understand the game.

Because teamwork is difficult and unreliable in solo groups, we've got perks that are intended to reduce the survivors' reliance on teammates and give them more survivability as an individual versus the killer.

But that's the problem with game perks designed around 1v1 encounters. On a team full of survivors that don't utilize the strongest advantage that survivors have (their teammates), they're generally fine - annoying but beatable as a killer is still superior 1v1. On a team that does, however, it can get absurdly one sided extremely quickly. This becomes a bigger problem the more time that is spent with the game, as survivors fairly quickly learn how to operate as a team at least to some degree just by the nature of familiarity and repetition.

So the question would seem to me (if I am in favor of nerfing survivor perks) is: how do I make every survivor group at least pseudo-swf? How would I give them more opportunities to make their real strength (numbers) more consistent and reliable in order to make it fair to nerf 1v1 perks that drastically increase in value when survivors play 4v1?

A chat box? A ping system? An in-game voice comm? I understand that some survivors still wouldn't utilize those and enjoy a more 1v1 experience, but that should be a voluntary handicap, not an excuse to bust the game wide open for survivors that play as teams. Thoughts?

Comments

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

Your team are just as often a liability as an asset. Without a reliable system to match people by their actual skill level it's impossible to balance solo and swf.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Have the bottom left icons also display:

• Chase status
    • Being in the TR or not
    • The specific action being preformed at the moment

To the other Survivors. And then have perk indicators on more perks.

• JustCats

@thrawn3054 That's... kind of my point? If you get potatoes you get potatoes, nothing to be done about that and should be a risk of playing survivor. But a lot of times it's not a potato issue and just one of lack of information. The solution so far seems to be to make every survivor super safe pretty much all the time, which works okay if nobody's making an effort to play as a team but quickly gets out of hand as people do. I want less of that and more elements that make it easier to play as a team.

@NuclearBurrito Oh I like those - non intrusive but helpful ways to communicate the important information.

• ManyAchievables
    ManyAchievables Member Posts: 667

Aftercare could technically help.

If you don't know what Aftercare does, here's the perk description:

Unlocks potential in one's Aura-reading ability.

You see the Aura of every Survivor that:

• You rescued from a Hook or who rescued you from one.
    • You completed a Healing action on or who completed one on you.

They also see your Aura.

This occurs for up to 1/2/3 Survivor(s).

All effects of Aftercare are reset when you are hooked by the Killer.

This can technically become a temporary solo SWF.

People see that you're being chased, they know they should do gens.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

I know. But that's my point. The mixed bag makes it impossible for me to consider my team as my best perk. Especially since they get me killed as often as the killer.

@NuclearBurrito I really like those ideas.

• ayaya
    ayaya Member Posts: 163

Some kind of chat like in HoD would be enough...assuming that your team isn't soviet and can read english. That would bring solo to SWF a lot but you're still in solo que

me: I cleansed 4 totems

claudette: kk I'm too scared to leave the grass in TR so enjoy your totem points

• xCarrie
    xCarrie Member Posts: 982

Why chase indicators aren’t in the game yet idk. It’s such a simple mechanic to add that would make solo a lot better.

• JustCats

Yes, and there will always be risks associated with solo queue - that's supposed to be (or at least I imagine) part of the appeal. And losing because you have a potato is one of those things; losing even though you're all pretty good you just can't communicate is different.

All of the survivor perks designed to even the playing field in a 1v1 with the killer are fine with no communication, because you've raised the entry bar for the teamwork advantage. Works alright for new solo players. But they get seriously busted once people learn to play together or play swf, and that's a problem. So I'm trying to think of ways to lower that entry bar and make teamplay more accessible.

In other words, teamplay should be the difficulty and the skill check for survivors in a good player/bad player sense, not in an accessibility through game design way. The poor teamplay design is what necessitates the survivability perks that make things unreasonable for killers when players do overcome that barrier - I'm saying that maybe there shouldn't be that barrier in the first place so we can reduce or remove the perks that provide artificial survivability to compensate.

• BigTimeGamer
    BigTimeGamer Member Posts: 1,752

myself and others have posted asking for this for god knows how long

there is ALOT of QOL things this game desperately needs

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

To encourage team play, you need to make it a team game. Right now its 4 solos with a common objective not a team game. Theres no penalty for surviving players when someone dies. No reward for sacrificing yourself to help the team.

Devs have said its NOT designed to be a team game. And that's why organized teams do so much better. You are taking what is designed to be a solo game and breaking it.

• JustCats
    edited June 2020

If it's not approached design-wise as a game where four players have the same objectives, means to meet them, and are rewarded for working together (in other words - are on the same team) then the game is already fundamentally and likely irredeemably broken.

• ThisGuuy83
    ThisGuuy83 Member Posts: 1,303
    edited June 2020

And this is why its hell trying to play killer on ps4. It was somewhat tolerable, but now it seems 90% play swf's running coms in party chat, because it makes the game soooo much easier. It's practically a cheat code that behavior can do nothing about. There's no way to stop party chat, even if they took swf's away. It takes 5 seconds to invite the other 3 players to a group chat. The only way to compensate is either buffing killers that go into swf's, or nerfing swf's so there half as strong as solo, but that still wouldn't solve anything on console.

• JustCats

Or you're probably just getting better and getting matched with better survivors. You don't need party chat to play as a team - it's not a complicated game and it doesn't take long to figure things out.

What I'm saying is to drop the pretense altogether and make it easy to play as a team so we can cut out a lot of the stuff that makes it easy to play like it's 1v1, cause when you combine both (which is where the game is now anywhere purple up), the survivors have a stupidly ridiculous advantage.

• Loner
    Loner Member Posts: 139

Those are not bad ideas at all. I guess the 1st one,you could just give everyone claws or maybe make their name change colors or something like that while in chase? For the 3rd,i'm guessing you'd just put certain action icons near everyone's name to indicate what they are doing? Like for repairing a gen,they'd have a gen icon near their name or something like that?

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

The portrait could just show the Survivors repairing a gen or whatever, with the current healthy or injured icons only being used if they aren't preforming any channels.

• Loner
    Loner Member Posts: 139

That'd work well,I already have a picture in mind of how it could look.

• OniWantsYourMacaroni
    OniWantsYourMacaroni Member Posts: 5,944

It's such simple concept and i don't know why it isn't implemented yet.

The devs are really really slow when it comes to QoL changes or changes in general.