Deathslinger V. Pyramid Head - who is stronger?

Options
Seiko300
Seiko300 Member Posts: 1,862
edited June 2020 in Polls

I was thinking about this just today after the Silent Hill chapter dropped on the live build, but Pyramid Head in his own way kind of plays similar to Deathslinger. It got me thinking about which one was actually better and it's a question that I think is actually compelling and interesting enough to merit some extra thought to put in to answer it. I'm interested to hear what people say

NOTE - This is primarily based on both killers by default, without taking add-ons or teachables into consideration. Although you can take them into account as an afterthought.

To start it off I'll just jot down a few of the comparisons and pros / cons.

Deathslinger - Pros

• Longer effective range (Redeemer vs. Punishment of the Damned [18 meters vs. 8 meters respectively])
  • Smaller terror radius, with the aid of perks like Monitor & Abuse can act similarly to a stealth killer (24m vs. 32m)
  • Much quicker ADS time to catch survivors at certain loops more easily, can quickscope, mindgame more effectively, more difficult to dodge especially with good aim
  • Has built in access to the Deep Wounds status effect, overall hindering survivor progress being forced to take the time to mend
  • Quicker reload which is the same amount of time hit or miss, can maintain chases more effectively without losing ground

-Pyramid Head - Pros

• Can be aggressive in ways no other ranged killer can, by dealing damage through obstacles and assets on the map
  • Guaranteed a single state of damage as opposed to survivors who have the capability to break free of the redeemer's chain
  • Extra utility beyond chase potential (Cage of atonement) can be used to incapacitate multiple survivors quickly all at once, counters flashlights DS, and other second chance perks like breakout, boil over, flip flop, deliverance etc. no chance to save yourself while in the cage and requires the help of other survivors, Final Judgement saves a lot of time and is worth the same as a sacrifice in terms of BP (if I'm not mistaken)
  • Zoning / map pressure, Rites of Judgement can cut off access to certain paths / areas of the map by discouraging survivors to take those routes. Using Cage of Atonement properly can force survivors to abandon generator progress and run to the other side of the map allowing you to exert greater pressure on an area
  • Better tracking / map awareness. Rites of Judgement triggers killer instinct when survivors walk through the trail, giving you an accurate location of where survivor(s) are

Deathslinger V. Pyramid Head - who is stronger? 65 votes

Deathslinger is stronger
26%
IhatelifeNescauThe_DaydreamerbrokedownpalaceBigTiddieMothGFMrPenguinKnotEnthusiastmatt6996LordRegallandromatSirCrackenAwkward_FiendShrekTheThird69GreyBigfootTotemsCleanserTheEntityNeaMr_Green_Genes16 17 votes
Pyramid Head is stronger
61%
WeederickAshleyWBKilligmaCashelP14ToppingPanicA_Can_Of_AirEsperiaeshreamentTaigaN0T0Ri0USMattie_MayhemOGjadssGreentheNinjatwiNickaznfruitboiitenoresaxTalkedToast505P0PG03SDeath_Syko18Simbronik 40 votes
Can't choose / both are equals (explain and elaborate)
12%
RainbowPatooielunaticlifterAhoyWolfWoolfySadLegionZackaryFreemanTheLegionMainPior_Morte 8 votes
Post edited by Seiko300 on

Comments

• ShrekTheThird69
    ShrekTheThird69 Member Posts: 327
    Options
    Deathslinger is stronger

If you don't miss too many shots deathslingers anti loop power is much better than pyramid heads

• ACTIV3_GNASHER
    ACTIV3_GNASHER Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Pyramid Head is stronger

Deathslinger is F tier.

Ay yo lemme just hit this beautiful shot but get nothing for it because there’s an obstacle in the way.

Blueballed huntress

• jadss
    jadss Member Posts: 207
    Options
    Pyramid Head is stronger

Pyramid head is better cuz, he has cages and he can literally MINI MORI you on the spot, which death slinger cant.

• Owlzey
    Owlzey Member Posts: 442
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Pyramid Head is stronger

Pyramid Head definitely, especially in chase simply due to the fact that POTD ignores obstacles and can be baited. If a player throws the pallet down, you can get a hit with POTD while they're locked in animation and if they don't drop it, just bait it and M1. Free hit either way.

However with Deathslinger, if you pre-drop the palette and he shoots you, unless he manages to reel himself around it, you're safe. He's also only 110% movement speed, while PH is 115%.

PH just has so much more to his kit with the cages and mini mori. The fact that he can ignore DS, pallet/flashlight saves, BT etc alone is pretty strong. Deathslinger doesn't have any of this.

Post edited by Owlzey on
  • KnotEnthusiast
    KnotEnthusiast Member Posts: 464
    Options
    Deathslinger is stronger

Deathslinger is the new nurse it seems. Players that aren't good with him think he's bad because there's more to his kit than point and click.

PH has a telegraphed windup, DS does not. DS can force relocate players to less safe areas, PH cannot. You can react dodge to PH's ranged attack, DS's attack you cannot. PH has an extremely long cooldown after his ranged attack, DS does not (even if you count the reload, DS's is still far less punishing). PH has a cage mechanic that half the time results in losing pressure due to the survivor always being caged across the map, though the mori at the end is extremely nice. However DS has an extremely small and quiet TR that allows you to get right on top of players with M&A for totally free hits. Both are very good killers, however I put DS as A tier and PH as B+ tier.

• matt6996
    matt6996 Member Posts: 82
    Options
    Deathslinger is stronger

From playing with both PH and DS I feel as though there both good in there own right since DS has a good TR alongside good 1v1 and add perks like M&A or STBFL you can pretty much get a free hit or down but he still has his issues such as bad map pressure since he is 110% MS and if you hit a good shot you can still not get the down. But in pyramid heads case he has a lot in kit with the trimmers for detection alongside the cages which can be good in certain moments, then he has his ranged attack which can be reacted to but the strength of it is that you can fake it to zone someone off a pallet or window so that adds a lot to him as well. But he also has his issues since caging someone can lose you pressure since the cage spawns far away from you and missing a shot punishes him a lot. So I just think they both have there own strengths and it's wrong to compare the two.

(Meant to pick can't choose)

• P0PG03S
    P0PG03S Member Posts: 80
    Options
    Pyramid Head is stronger

You forgot one thing.

PH is 115%, while Deathslinger is 110%.

And this is where it ends.

• CashelP14
    CashelP14 Member Posts: 5,564
    Options
    Pyramid Head is stronger

By faaaarrrr pyramid head. By a country mile.

• Seiko300
    edited June 2020
    Options

People keep bringing this up and acting like it's the end all be all of the discussion but I just want to point something out (not that I've voted for either side [yet])

Deathslinger is purposefully balanced in such a way that making him a 110% killer makes undeniable sense, nor does it impact his chases all that much. It's a factor for sure, but this is done because there's no reason to have that 5% extra speed on survivors when considering the whole point of his ability.

To make myself more clear, Deathslinger is 110% because his power has an effective range of an entire 18 meters in front of him, you don't need to catch up with anybody if you can shoot them with a harpoon and pull them toward you. Whereas Pyramid head's Punishment of the Damned requires you to be much, much closer to even have the chance of hitting them at all.

And sure you've got the whole "can hit through objects and assets" shtick but I also want to point out that it's not like Deathslinger is hard punished by those same objects and assets. In the same way that Pyramid Head can mindgame by walking behind a survivor using rites of judgement to guarantee either a shockwave hit if they drop the pallet or a normal m1 if they decide not to drop it, Deathslinger can do the same thing by straight up shooting them at close range before they get to the pallet at all.

Certain loops themselves are even less safe for Deathslinger because he can just shoot over obstacles and assets, hitting a survivor and reeling them or himself around. A perfect example of this are the cars on autohaven wreckers, I love playing Deathslinger on Autohaven because the loops around cars are low enough that I can land an easy shot off even if they crouch. Basically ignoring "obstacles and assets" in a similar way that Pyramid Head can.

Not casting my vote, in fact I'll probably never vote throughout the entire lifetime of this thread, but just something I wanted to point out.

• ACTIV3_GNASHER
    Options
    Pyramid Head is stronger

Love the assumption. I’m dog ######### with nurse but I understand she’s the best killer in the game. You can learn how good a killer is by playing against them just as much as playing with them. If I run into a deathslinger I know that I have a decent chance of surviving. He is ass. I’m not some bum green rank either playing against people who don’t know how to play him.

• Seiko300
    Options

But I mean, you still never addressed his points which are pretty valid ones at that

All you did was come over here and say "Deathslinger is F tier" and that was it.

• ACTIV3_GNASHER
    Options
    Pyramid Head is stronger

You cannot do anything to a remotely decent pyramid head in loops, he can switch to his M2, you either throw down the pallet and get stuck in an animation to which he doesn’t miss. Or you run through it and he simply switches back to his M1 with no cool down and hits you.

he says pyramid head has a huge cool down which is true. But a good pyramid head isn’t wasting shots, he’ll be setting it up to bait a vault or a pallet and switch to an M1 or he’ll commit when you lock into an animation.

deathslinger has way more range for sure, but if you hit somebody from long range you just need an object in your way and you’re set. He’s the biggest cuckhold, he’s huntress lite.

pyramid head can literally down several survivors with his M2 when overly altruistic survivors make risky hook saves.

• Seiko300
    edited June 2020
    Options

I did address this point in a previous comment, it's true PH is really powerful in this way and the good ones are setting up their shockwaves for moments when they would be guaranteed rather than wasting them, but then again so can Deathslinger do the exact same thing:

"In the same way that Pyramid Head can mindgame by walking behind a survivor using rites of judgement to guarantee either a shockwave hit if they drop the pallet or a normal m1 if they decide not to drop it, Deathslinger can do the same thing by straight up shooting them at close range before they get to the pallet at all."

In the same way a good pyramid head isn't wasting shots, neither would a good deathslinger, shooting from far away only if absolutely certain they could realistically reel a survivor back over that distance and there isn't anything that could significantly block their pulling. It would be an unfair comparison to compare a good and smart PH who's using his power as efficiently as possible to a Deathslinger that isn't as good or smart and is using his power inefficiently by making shots when he can't realistically follow up on them. Much like a PH who is just throwing out the shockwave willy nilly and is losing ground in chases, wasting time.

Of course yes, PH can hit multiple survivors at once which isn't something DS can reproduce. I won't deny that, you've got a point there.

• lunaticlifter
    lunaticlifter Member Posts: 426
    Options
    Can't choose / both are equals (explain and elaborate)

Potentially Deathslinger in terms of chase, is second only to Nurse. Anyway he has no map pressure, and you can snowball only with save the best for last 6+ stacks and reload addons.. As for Pyramid you can use his power in a safe way by zoning and m1 or m2 when survivors are locked in tight spaces or animation, without trying fancy stuff behind walls, and you will always get the hit. He also counters Ds-unbreakable and other meta perks, he has better map control and he compensates even more by not hooking and tunneling people... both are top 5 in my tierlist so far.

• ManyAchievables
    ManyAchievables Member Posts: 667
    Options
    Pyramid Head is stronger

Pyramid Head is Deathslinger if Deathslinger also countered DS, BT, and every other hook perk in the game.

Also, when it comes to ranged attacks, I'd say they're equal. Sure, Deathslinger's is easier to land and deal damage with, but PH can hit through walls. It's an even matchup in that regard.