The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Genrushing. Does it exist?

dbd_noob
dbd_noob Member Posts: 225

I really wanna discuss this, as I think there is no such thing as genrushing. But i wanna hear other opinions as well.

As survivor the only objective is to do gens. So what am I supposed to do if I am not getting chased? Totems? Yes or I risk getting hit by NOED, but I cannot complain afterwards then. Chests? Maybe running around healing others?

What is your take on genrushing?

Comments

• Kolonite
    Kolonite Member Posts: 1,346

I think genrushing is only an issue with actual coordinated swfs and really good solos and is only an issue at the start of the game before killer can get the ball rolling. By the middle of the game you should be doing a decent job of bothering everyone and protecting gens imo. Obviously this is harder for some killers and people that lack the meta killer perks.

• PalletsAndHooks
    PalletsAndHooks Member Posts: 989

@dbd_noob I define gen rushing as survivors latching onto a gen with complete disregard for the game state or the killer. This tends to happen most frequently at the start of the trial, usually at the tenth or eleventh second when Bubba or Billy claim their first down.

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    Dead_by_Gadfly Member Posts: 3,772

When survivors split up and work seperate gens ignoring almost everything else, thats gen rushing and there isnt much a killer can do about it. Its the same as tunnel vision, ive seen people do gens with activated rbts on their heads, i saw a team let someone go into struggle state to finish the 3 gens they were doing. If youre killer and not playing a perfect game, you lose. Or at least youre going to have to get very dirty. So yeah,gen rush is a thing. People skipping totems, chests, unhooks and everything in between to get gens done.

That said a lot of solo que games they rush the first 3 then fall apart and get stuck at 2 so you cant solo gen rush. Its a team effort. Solo ques can gen rush but its a lot harder

• mouse0270
    mouse0270 Member Posts: 849

If you get certain group of survivors that want to do gens and get out and do play specific perks or playstyle then yes. But in general I don't find gen rushing to be common. Though I will admit that like 2 Mondays ago, my longest match was like 11 minutes with almost every other match being under 8 minutes. But that was just one specific day not really common in my opinion.

PS: I believe the perfect timeframe for a match is 10-12 minutes.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    edited June 2020

Sure, gen rushing exists.

Just earlier today I was up against a Wraith who got 2-3 hooks by the time we finished all the gens. Other than his last chase, he didn't take too long to down anyone, it's just that we were all over the map, all working on gens. No surprise, the last survivor got hit with NOED (she was taunting him near the gate despite knowing he had it) and everyone else left, but if that last survivor had actually tried to escape, he would've gotten one kill. This was with two solos and a 2-man SWF (me+a friend), no toolboxes, no perks to speed up gens, nothing.

There are many problems associated with balancing gen rush, though, due to its nature as an edge case. Anything you do must have little to no effect in the other 90%* of cases. The problem is that generator repair is so simple, mechanically, that there's not much you can change that affects gen rushing, but not the other 90%* of cases.

*The percentage is pulled out of thin air and is just meant to emphasize that gen rushing is an edge case and not the norm.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

If they literally ignore everything else happening in the trial I suppose that would be gen rushing.

• konchok
    konchok Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,719

Everything is time management with an end goal of escaping or killing. Killers and survivors should expect the other side to play optimally. To expect killers or survivors to play less than optimal is to ask for a handicap. Anyone complaining about tunnelling, camping, or gen rushing just screams entitlement to me.

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

Gen rushing is a term for doing gens efficiently/fast which killers don't like due to it causing their games to be very short (little to no chases, hooks, points etc) so they complain about it. Same goes for killer strategies that make survivor games short and unfun (tunneling/camping). Both are legitimate ways to play the game so yes genrushing exists as much as tunneling/camping.

Neither can be fully prevented or punished since both are part of the most optimal way to win as long as you use them correctly. Devs continually adjust the game to discourage these strategies in hope of making matches that have healthy length for all players. Unfortunately DBD can never be fully free of them due to many random factors in each match and disparities in player's skill levels.

You can chose to play unoptimally and do random stuff - walking around, chests/totems, annoying the killer, etc but if you decide to rush gens (generally matches that last less then 10min can be considered as rushed games by actions of either side be it gens or tunneling/camping) no one can blame you for doing your best to win.

• Khroalthemadbomber
    Khroalthemadbomber Member Posts: 1,073

Not going to lie I'm a bit shocked to NOT see the stereotypical, "No gen rushing only exists if Killers are bad at their jobs!."

Let me tell you something, at the point where I can get multiple hooks on each Survivor. CONSTANTLY down people map wide consistently and even THEN only manage to get at least single kill because I managed to stall out a Bloodwarden lockdown on the four people still in game, it's not from lack of skill or map pressure.

You get a good team. A team focused on one thing and one thing alone. There is not much you can do.

The ONLY counter to true gen rushing is NOED because these guys are so single minded in their focus for generators that they ignore everything else. And at that point they mock the Killer for needing NOED to beat them when honestly there is no other way.

• Wiktorox
    Wiktorox Member Posts: 30

Gen rushing exists. In my opinion NOED is good counter to this. 😑

• Anara
    Anara Member Posts: 1,297

Yes the first and only one way to survive is to do gens.

I was thinking there is no genrush till I hit red ranks as survivors. Sometimes the killer can't do anything because matchmaking. If the killer is great we have to genrush to survive. But if it's a baby killer you can slow the game.

Perosnnaly I do things threw the map, and I do gens only if there is more hooks than gens done.

PS : I'm red rank survivor but I'm pretty noob as a killer (yellow rank) I faced you and your squad one time. You done 4 gens and I had one hook.. But anyway I killed you at the end mouahaha I think we have to slow the game and the gens when we faced baby killers because of the broken matchmaking

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,032

Of course gen rushing is a thing. I just don’t worry about it too much. The first two gens almost always go quick because the survivors spawn on the gens, usually two survivors at two separate gens. They’re going to pop because the killer can only chase one. The other stays behind and does the gen. There’s usually a big slowdown after those and typically the map gets shorter because the gens got done on one side.

Hook rushing is a thing too though and I think we’re all getting a taste of that with PH.

• Demonl3y
    Demonl3y Member Posts: 1,416

Genrushing exists but theres nothing wrong with it.

Its the survivors objective.

• Dead_by_Gadfly

Im not mad at the players for gen rushing. I dont blame them.

From what Ive seen games at the very top level boil down to a killer dragging someone into the basement and camping to stop tge gen rush and they dont give af about tunneling or camping complaints. This is the game. It is what it is. They do need to address match speeds but im hoping tge beginning game stuff does that OR they add in mandatory secondary objectives. At the end of the day if the gen rushing squad isnt altruistic theres nothing the killer can actually do

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

No such thing as gen rushing and I play both sides. Gen rushing is a term for either a good team or a poor killer. The objective is to work gens and escape, not have a mothers meeting in the ironworks of missery.

• Rin_is_my_waifu
    Rin_is_my_waifu Member Posts: 963
    edited June 2020

If genrushing doesn't exist, neither do camping and tunneling, because killers' objective is to sacrifice survivors as fast as possible

• LetsPlayTogether
    LetsPlayTogether Member Posts: 2,117

There is no such thing as gen rushing. Its a excuse of bad killers not being able to do anything while survivors just plainly do what theyre supposed to do. The only gen rush i would accept is with 4 survs running toolboxes, prove thyself, spine chill and resilience. But that actually does happen only once a decade at all.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

I've seen someone do a gen with an activated RBT on their head. They then tried to go through the exit gate. I got a thorough chuckle out of it.

• vdzz
    vdzz Member Posts: 21

I just played a game today where all gens were completed in 6 minutes and 10 seconds.. what really does bother me is that I would understand all gens being done if I was being looped for more than 2 minutes by a single survivor.. but that’s not the case here at all.. I was playing as the Demogorgon and literally the longest chase I had didn’t last for more than 40 seconds.. they were a 3 man swf but still.. that ######### is absurd.. something must be done about how fast gens can go

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,046

Genrushing does not exist. Gens going too fast is the Killer not being able to apply pressure. This can have various reasons.

• dangitben
    dangitben Member Posts: 58

Theres literally nothing wrong with survivors focussing on their objectives. I counter “gen rushing” by patrolling gens and letting a chase go if i’m being strung along. I counter “tunneling” by not getting caught running escape/chase extension perks, and encouraging friends im playing with to focus gens and punish the killer for focussing on me

• MusicNerd_TC
    MusicNerd_TC Member Posts: 3,099

It isn't your fault for focusing on generators, saves and healing only. It's basically your only objective, and the speeds need changes, which are coming soon.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,350

Gen Rushing certainly exists. A group of survivors who only focus on getting gens done will get them done very quickly and there's not much a killer can do in that situation. It's not common, because it requires coordination to pull off that you won't get with solo survivors.

• dangitben
    dangitben Member Posts: 58

And theres nothing wrong with that. Imagine someone in soccer saying youre “goal rushing”

• bingbongboi90
    bingbongboi90 Member Posts: 576

Gen rushing is litterly survivors doing their objective and not caring about anything else. So no healing, totems etc.

These people are 1 hit mist of the game so these players complain also a lot about tunneling...

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

This is exactly what gen rush describes. A clear and concise example. Its basically a game state that results in no real way to recover, outside of tactics like hook rushing and egc camping or noed.

I think some elements of the gen rush could be lessened by fixing things such as gen tapping. How could anyone realistically repair a gen to stop progression by tapping it for less than a second while being chased by the killer. It just strikes me as flawed and renders kicking gens virtually useless without specific perks and even then sometimes not worth it.

Also maybe being injured would impact your repair speed offering more incentive to heal, remove that RBT etc. I know thanataphobia exists but seems again more likely your ability to repair a generator might just be generally influenced by the gaping hole in your abdomen or a head wound or even a busted finger.

I'm not saying its toxic or bad play, but its kinda like the 4 slug hook snowball on the killer side, usually that results from survivor mistakes but the gen rush snowball can result just from the size of the map and need to patrol.

• Dead_by_Gadfly
    edited June 2020

Mine still got the rbt off :/ (though i did 4k that game)

• dbd_noob
    dbd_noob Member Posts: 225

Guys, ngl. I think I changed my mind. Genrushing does exist. The following situation describes genrushing the best for me:

You are dying on the hook and the others just sit on gens. Like they prioritize the gens over everything. A well coordinated team on the otherside (maybe on coms) are not genrushing when they just split up the work...

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

Im sure Gen rush is a myth.

• LALYTHIA
    LALYTHIA Member Posts: 1,656

I agree that what is called genrushing here in the forums isn't really a thing. It's survivors doing gens normally.

IMO, genrushing would be survivors bringing Engineers toolboxes with BNP and Wire Spool, bringing gen speed perks, and coordinating to get at least the first gen done in no time at all. But this isn't typically what anyone who uses the term means. They just mean survivors touch gens 🤷‍♀️

To your point, what's the alternative? LoL

I think genrushing could be used to describe the latter situation above, but it's typically used to describe any time survivors just work on gens, sans tools or perks. Which makes it seem like a made up term with no significance.

• RoMainPuppy
    RoMainPuppy Member Posts: 507

I mean I'd say yeah it exists, but mostly for lack of other things to do. Primary objective is to do gens and get out, why waste time with other stuff when you can get to the next game that much quicker. If there were more meaningful objects it'd be a different story, but alas, most other objectives are either time wasters or jusr for points. (yes you can search chests, but that's not necessary and puts you at risk. Yes you can cleanse dulls in case of NOED, but..most killers don't run NOED cause it's not meta, so again, generally a time waster. The only other meaningful objectives there are other than gens are unhooks and chases, and those might not even happen if the survivors are very good, the killer is very bad, or both. Like the problem is no other objective is as important or as worthwhile as doing gens, unless you desperately want that spicy double pip, then getting the door open and getting tf out. More important objectives or other game modes are desperately needed.)

• SloppyKnockout
    SloppyKnockout Member Posts: 1,505

Here's the thing - I think it both exists, and is a stupid term to use at the same time. At the end of the day, there's plenty of things for survivors to do, but only one thing helps them escape. Only one thing is their actual objective. That's generators. Do they go too fast? Absolutely. Do teams go out of their way sometimes to coordinate and genrush (even in solo queue) after planning to bring a map offering? Yes.

Genrushing is definitely a thing that exists.

THAT BEING SAID - killers do have things they can do to combat it. The issue is, survivors don't like these things. 3-gen strats, and hooking someone dead center of the 3 gen, and camping them out. Or slugging everyone with sloppy/knockout. Or just using slowdown builds. They can genrush, and it's perfectly fine..but if you killrush, you're a sweatlord.

This has turned into a rant. Ha.

Just burn the killer rulebook (you know - the one written by entitled survivor mains) and kick the living ######### out of them how you see fit.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

Genrush is a thing. It's not some toxic playstyle, it's just the game at its most basic. Survivors have everything they need to win every match if they work together and focus in generators, because the game is designed around them:

1) Not working together very well.

2) Doing other, secondary objectives to artificially extend the game.

Essentially, the game was balanced around very casual, very 'I want to have fun' mindsets, and it really doesn't take into account that most people have fun by 'winning'. And so, because the game is NOT balanced around people doing everything in their power to win, generators can very easily be finished in the time it takes to drop most of the pallets in a match. And if you don't believe this, just take a look at the sheer number of times the developers have told people that they should be cleansing totems and searching chests, AKA the actions that get solo survivor lobbies killed easier than Freddy with an ebony mori.

• Customapple0
    Customapple0 Member Posts: 629

Against some killers “genrushing” is necessary. Very oppressive killers like Nurse, Oni, Spirit etc can get through hook states pretty quickly.

Also some maps don’t help either. The saloon is so small with few safe areas that you are better off “genrushing”. Same goes for Hawkins and Midwich with almost every pallet being unsafe you’re better off getting out of the trial ASAP as the chases are likely to be short.

The maps that I don’t feel comfortable on being chased I just focus on gens.

• Quol
    Quol Member Posts: 694

When you disregard the rest of the match (totems, healing others, looping the killer, ect) and try to turn it into a skill check simulator then it's genrushing.

I always viewed genrushing as the equivalent of camping a hooked survivor. Technically your completing the objective and technically it's a valid tactic but there is a reason why the other side finds it annoying.

• Khar
    Khar Member Posts: 640

Of course gen rush exists. The term itself was coined because of the play style. Ignoring totems, ignoring healing, ignoring rescues just to complete gens as quick and efficiently as possible. It results in a very quick match, fewer blood point rewards all around, and the killer will generally not have had much fun. That's why old Hex Ruin was used so often, it actually helped slow gen completion down. On the flip side, a killer's equivalent to gen rushing would be tunneling/camping. It's the easiest way to secure a kill, but the survivor will not have had a fun match.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

Well obviously it exist. Genrushing if prioritising gens above all else.

The question you want to ask is if it's a problem or not

• SloppyKnockout

Looking back at their post history, this is a broken argument they've made multiple times before; and they are schooled on why they are wrong every single time. Pay no mind, honestly.

They've also complained about killers tunneling, camping and slugging. You know, rushing kills. But rushing gens is okay. Just apply pressure 4Head.

• SloppyKnockout

I've fairly obvious that it is a problem. Especially since BHVR is going to be implementing a pre-game warm up type mechanic to slow the pace.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,314

Genrushing might be an issue when you have a team stack some really juicy toolboxes and perks to speed up gen times, but often... its an excuse used by killers who fail to apply pressure. Had a game the other day where the killer accused my team of solo Qers of gen rushing when the only thing we had between us that could possibly speed up gen times was my spinechill... Has nothing to do with the fact that he completely ignored half the map allowing us to get those gens for free. Rather than try to push fault on something else, if you lose... try to take the L with some dignity and think of what you couldve done different. Typically theres plenty of room for improvement and only people who are new and dont know any better think that their own gameplay was perfect.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,046

Can you stop spreading Bullshit about what I have complained before? Like, you will not find any post where I complain about slugging, as long as it is not slugging just to let someone bleed out. Making up things to invalidate my opinions is pretty lame.

Its not "just apply pressure", because if the Killer is bad, they will most likely not be able to. And it does not differ at this point if it is an SWF or not - surely you can go the way of some popular DBD-Streamer and suspect an SWF every time you lose, when it lets you feel better. Most SWFs are not good at the game, because they are just people playing with their friends. Sure, if you have the bad luck and face a Swat of 4 really good players who are also playing together, this will be pretty hard to win (if not near impossible), but a) those are really rare and b) 4 Solos who are equally good will not give the Killer an easy time either.

And even IF that is the case - I never understand why Killers get mad about losing to good players. The other side played better, so its fine?

And well, regarding SWF... all what you wrote can be applied to Solos as well.

• Getya_Mad
    Getya_Mad Member Posts: 42

I understand you point, but if that's true then why complain about camping? Is it not the Killer's job to make sure people die?

• Schlute6969
    Schlute6969 Member Posts: 129

It absolutely exists but just depends who is saying it and what the situation is. Doing just the objective is not gen rushing especially if there’s not enough pressure being applied so gens just get done quickly and that’s a different discussion or stuff with killer abilities. Are you going to tell others though that a 4man swf all brand new parts and best toolboxes with perks centered around doing gens isn’t rushing? Of course this does not happen very often but just showing an extreme that most killers who have played awhile have run into. Not to mention unless it’s spirit you can keep working on a gen in killers TR with almost no downside or danger depending where you are at. Not exactly faulting the survivor for that since it’s the best thing to do just more faulting the mechanics of it. Also why is it that gen rushing can’t exist because survivors are just doing the objective yet tunneling does even though killers are also doing their objective.

• Bovinity
    Bovinity Member Posts: 1,522

You'd have to ask the people who complain about camping!

That said, camping isn't really an efficient way to get everyone killed, just that one person. So I don't bother doing it, generally.

• andyollolloll
    andyollolloll Member Posts: 940

Gen rushing exists

Hook rushing exists

Chest rushing exists

Totem rushing exists

However that is the priority to doing them with the exception of if it glows it goes.

The majority of survivors class an escape as a win so to achieve that they try to rush the gens.

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557

youll know when you get a true genrushing depip squad.

They split up and dont do gens together, watch Marth videos on this thats why teams are imitating his crew because they do gens and out in like less than 5 mins LOL