Autodidact useful or useless?

I've been trying to utilize Autodidact as best as I could, but it's not working as well as I thought it would. Matches are pretty short to be honest so I'm not healing people as much as I would like. Even when I am healing others, I don't get that many skill checks. As a matter of fact, I've never gotten more than 3 stacks of autodidact within a single match. Honestly, this could have less to do with the perk and more to do with how inconsistent skill checks are. I'd prefer having more skill checks (fixing gens, healing others....) which keeps me focused on the game and provides more bloodpoints.

I would like to hear your opinions, experiences, and suggestions when it comes to autodidact.

Comments

• Accullla
    Accullla Member Posts: 984
    edited July 2020

it counters stuff like sloppy butcher, clourophobia, thanathophobia, dying light, so it's pretty good if you can utilise it in games where the killer runs a bunch of slowdowns. That said, I think it's a pretty fun minigame trying to stack it up to maximum, which is why I run it quite often

• EmpireWinner
    EmpireWinner Member Posts: 1,054

They should make skill checks more frequent.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

Once i get stacks, i like it. Its getting stacks is the hard part.

• OldWiseOne
    OldWiseOne Member Posts: 159

its a gamble, if you get skill checks its OP but if you dont then its not so good. the fact this perk can pretty much heal a full health state with a single skill check is insane! but thats the gamble you take, if you arent interested in the gamble id suggest botany as its 33% no matter what. A big issue is the game times, its rare that games will often go on long as gens either get bashed out too fast or survivors are dropping like flies in chases so any perk that gets better over time struggles to show its usefulness. cool perk though, can only really stack it with spinechill anything that increases healing speed ruins it

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

I think the perk should be buffed with:

While healing a teammate you will get a skill check every 3 seconds(Not counting the time taken up by the previous skill check).

• EmpireWinner
    EmpireWinner Member Posts: 1,054

Not bad, it would actually make autodidact a lot more useful.

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,797

That would be OP. Not only would you build up stacks really fast, but every heal would be guaranteed to be 6-7 seconds after you get to 5 stacks. Mangled, Thanatophobia, Coulrophobia, 10 Dying Light stacks? Doesn't matter. You get +50% healing progress with each skill check and you get a skill check every 3 seconds.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    edited July 2020

Autodidact is a beast when you get 5 stacks, which is not guaranteed. Its somewhat similar to a Hex perk, when it works its super powerful, when it doesnt is a wasted slot. Also is extremely good against Sloppy Butcher+Thanato, it completely bypasses those 2 perks.

I think the perk could get a QoL buff by storing the skill check bonus progression when you heal dying Survivors, for example you have 5 stacks and healing someone dying, get skillcheck at 80% you hit it, finish healing dying and puts him to 25% of injured, right now that 25% gets lost (5 stacks gives a 45% progression), it would be a decent buff since picking people from the ground with 5 stacks of Autodidact is not very common, Ive running it a lot lately and this situation could have happen 5 times in total.

• coppersly
    coppersly Member Posts: 2,318

Yeah this is what the perk was intended to be I believe. If it was super consistent everyone would just run it and by the end of the game heal up in a single skillcheck in front of a killers face.

The gamble of will you get to actually use it or not is what makes it balanced. It'd be another Self Care before the healing nerfs.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,866

It's terrible. I challenge you to do this. Take a pad of paper and a pen. Then keep track of how many times you heal another player at least 75% of their health each game. I would bet real money that the average is below 3 per game after at least 10 games. Also keep track of how many skill checks you get while healing someone. From my experience it's about 1 or 2 per heal. The way Autodidact works you don't even start seeing any benefit until the 3rd successful skill check. So you will generally get zero value from this perk. Virtually every other healing perk will give more consistent value. Even Solidarity is more useful.

• Mikeasaurus
    Mikeasaurus Member Posts: 2,327

It's fantastic if you can get stacks onto it for sure, but the problem is, RNG likes to screw you. I've healed survivors while using it, and both times, zero checks, leaving the perk to lower the bar at the EGC when it really isn't what you want happening. It's kind of a Survivor Hex. High risk, with high reward when it decides to pay out, but when it doesn't, it's a slot wasted.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

The number is hypothetical(it could be every 5 seconds + the 1-2 seconds for the skill check to finish so about every 7 seconds) but making it more consistent as more of a bad luck protection mechanic.

• LegionOfDumb
    LegionOfDumb Member Posts: 623

My problem is the RNG nature of it. Most of the time I do any healing I'm lucky to get 1 skill check for it at the END of a heal.