Is "Surge" a bad perk?

tippy2k2
tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,178
edited July 2020 in General Discussions

I just got the Demogorgon and barring a few ######### messaging me about how I'm a high ranked killer but I suck so therefore I must boost or some #########, it's been an interesting few games.

What I want to talk about though is his power, The Surge. For those that don't know...

"Putting a survivor in a dying state with a basic attack causes all generators within a 32 meter radius to instantly explode and regress 8%"

This perk seems super awesome but no one ever seems to use it or even really talk about it and I'm curious why. I've only played the handful of games with Demo so maybe it's one of those perks that seem good until you've used it a few times or maybe there are similar but better perks (I've only been playing a few month so a lot of perks I just don't have unlocked) or maybe just no one likes poor Demo because he's not a Top Tier Killer so everyone has ignored his perks.

What are your thoughts on Surge?

Comments

• Flarefire_Xx
    Flarefire_Xx Member Posts: 353

It is only good on a select few killers, it is generally a pretty garbage perk with M&A or 24m killers. Demos perks are Perry garbage overall, which is sad

• Flarefire_Xx
    Flarefire_Xx Member Posts: 353

Oops, I forgot, shows how garbage of a perk I think it is 🤣

• Momentosis
    Momentosis Member Posts: 824

It's an ok perk.

For awhile, Tru3 was using Ruin/Surveillance/Surge/and Corrupt(maybe it was Discordance?)on Pyramid Head.

Demo's perks could be good if they weren't so restricted.

• CrowFoxy
    CrowFoxy Member Posts: 1,310

Any killer who uses basic attacks to down survivors, it's a very good perk. It regresses the base ten percent and then eight percent, so 18% and that's PRETTY good.

As far as on killers like Billy, Huntress, and sometimes LF, it doesn't proc nearly as often and you won't wanna run it.

• APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274

It is... mediocre. Unfortunately, there just isn't a strong case to run Surge over other gen-stall perks like Ruin, Pop Goes the Weasel, or Corrupt Intervention.

Surge is a fun concept for a perk that is let down by a few factors:

-It has a long cooldown. 40 Seconds is a lot of time for a situational perk like this to be on the backburner. I don't think most players like the killer-cooldown perks very much either; almost none of them see regular use (at least in my experience).

-Survivors must be downed with a BASIC attack. This means killers who more heavily rely on using special attacks get little utility from Surge (Huntress, Billy, LF, and Oni, as well as Pig, Plague, Demogorgan, and Pyramid Head to a lesser extent). That's almost half of the killer cast right there.

-It only effects gens within 32m of the downed survivor. This is the situational part that kills Surge in conjunction with its cooldown. If survivors are playing smart, they will be trying to lead the killer away from gens that still need to be completed (newer players often panic-dash to the corners of the map). Downing these players may activate regression on one gen, if you're lucky. Even then, if you're only consistently hitting one gen with Surge, you may as well run PGtW to apply 25% insta-regression instead of 8%.

-It has an underwhelming ability. Being able to instantly regress several gens without needing to kick them is pretty awesome, but that 8% regression doesn't mean much. That requires a single survivor to repair an affected gen for about 6-7 more seconds (probably the time you need to hook your fresh prey). PGtW takes up to 20 seconds off of a single gen (for one survivor), which is often just more useful and consistent as a gen-stall tool.

Personally, I'm hoping that they might cut Surge's cooldown in half (or maybe even quarter it), remove the "basic attack" requirement, and allow it to apply Ruin-regression speeds to any generator it affects. DG is a fun killer, shame that its personal perks really don't feel up to par.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Surge is a niche perk balanced like a versatile one, which is to say it's given conditions appropriate for a medium high payoff, but the payoff is low by comparison.

The only Killer that I can think of that can make the perk truly good is Ghostface, because he can get the most out of the perk: His downs are staggered, sudden, near gens and are via-basic attacks. Too many conditions for the disproportionately weak effect, ghostface consistently meets every condition almost every time, but no other Killer does.

Killers that are slower at downing won't get value out of this perk because the Survivor will get away from the gen in time

Killers that are faster at downing will be heavily bottle-necked by the cooldown

And Killers that down with M2 can't use the perk at all regardless of downing speed

I want to see the cooldown and M1 requirements removed. Killers that are slow at downing still won't get value at the perk, making the perk a specialized snowball perk, which it kinda already is except it's conditions explicitly prevent use for snowballing.

• Zeon_99
    Zeon_99 Member Posts: 463

Its not bad. I like it a lot on Michael and Legion, I just think it shouldn't have a cool down because of how restrictive it is.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,440

I use it a lot on killers that always down with a basic attack, and even some that don't depending on circumstances.

Generally i'll use it on:

Nurse

Clown

Legion

Wraith

Myers

Ghostface

Deathslinger

I'll also throw it on pig even though she sometimes downs with her power. Generally i only use the power to get the first hit, or to hit the obsession to save STBFL stacks.

On most killers i have been running a build of BBQ + Pop + Surge + Surveillance. Generally you down someone, surge goes off, and if it stays white, you know nobody is there. If it goes yellow, you know someone is there repairing. So you can get a good pop on it. If not BBQ shows you where to take your pop too and now you know exactly when that gen is being worked on.

• MadArtillery
    MadArtillery Member Posts: 826
    edited July 2020

Surge is good for applying surveillance without kicks. It's definitely the perks primary purpose atm and as an alarm while ruin is up that someone is working on a gen within the range. Wouldn't recommend it outside of synergy builds and def not on demo as it won't apply to shred.

• tippy2k2

...so Surge and Surveillance work together? Because that makes me a LOT more intrigued in Surge as Surveillance is my jam on basically every killer I use.

• NuclearBurrito

Oh yeah, on specifically Ghostface in particular the perk is unironically good. Not having to kick gens is extremely useful for keeping momentum and you almost always get the perk to proc after each down. I'll frequently end up using the perk immediately off cooldown without even trying.

Yes ruin exists, but if it gets cleansed you lose far too much momentum. Surge lets you keep that momentum more reliably.

• AGM
    AGM Member Posts: 806

The person you responded to is confused. They thought the explosion from surge was the same as a failed skill check (which sets a gen back 10%), but they're incorrect. It's not 10% + 8%. Surge only regresses affected gens by 8%, full stop.

• CrowFoxy

When a survivor misses a skillcheck it regresses 10% by default.

• ins0
    ins0 Member Posts: 118

Surge + Ruin (if Ruin survives) is pretty good.

• NuclearBurrito

What's that got to do with surge?

Surge isn't a missed skillcheck.

• teamdehn
    teamdehn Member Posts: 222

I have seen builds with it, however i think POP does a better job for it.

• tippy2k2

People do say this game doesn't provide enough scares...

😈

• CrowFoxy

Surge acts like a missed skillcheck. Therefore applying the 10% on top of the 8%.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467
    edited July 2020

It's meh. Only being triggered by basic attacks and its cooldown are really holding it back.

• NuclearBurrito

No it doesn't. It just creates an explosion.

Explosions have nothing to do with regression as per the perk technician which negates the explosion but does nothing to the regression.

The 10% regression is exclusively tied to the actual act of a Survivor missing a skill check

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

I’ve just started trying it recently. If you’re one of those people that likes to take Ruin and Surveillance then its probably decent as it will work with Surveillance after Ruin is gone.

Its not a bad little perk I dont think so far. Its good against solo as it makes gens regress, but obviously a 3-4 man swf will be able to communicate to stop any gens from regressing too far.

Also sometimes it comes in clutch. Like when you down a survivor and another is trying to rush a nearby gen, Pop is stronger but you need to pick up and hook first. Because that 8% kicks in as soon as the survivor is hit Ive had it stop survivors from finishing a gen in front of my face when Pop couldn’t.

• Snowbawlzzz
    Snowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,419

Would be good if it worked with PGTW. Unfortunately, slowing down gens is illegal.

• tippy2k2

That actually happened to me in my last match, which was kind of the inspiration for the thread. That gen had to have been seconds away as she kept working the gen as I smacked her down. Lost the percentage, other survivor couldn't pop it before I circled back after the hook.

• RedditUser69
    RedditUser69 Member Posts: 193

If the perk didn't have a basic attack requirement and didn't have a cooldown it might become a viable alternative to Pop. I have no idea why they make these perks and then slap a cooldown on them, punishing you for doing well.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

IMO it just comes up short of being a passable perk.

• Nameless
    Nameless Member Posts: 869

Surge isn’t bad but the cooldown on it is just not necessary for the effect it actually has or the impact it has on the game.

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893

Honestly the perk nice it just has a lot of drawbacks that make it not as good as it could be.

Basic attack based- this cripples a lot of Perks it basically means if you're playing a killer who can use there power to down somebody you're often going to lose out from this.

Some Killers don't have to worry about this but a decent amount to do.

Cooldown- the fact that this perk has a cooldown along with the previously mentioned basic attack requirement it makes actually very inconsistent in fact it starts to get weaker the more the game progresses.

Either gens are too spread out for you to effectively hit multiple let alone one or they're clustered together and the survivor in question just runs away from them meaning you don't hit anything.

I'm fine of its lack of synergy because when you honestly think about it hitting three generators with 33% regression instant regression can get pretty annoying..

Honestly if I could suggest anything for this perk I would say either remove the basic requirement or remove/ really lower the cooldown

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

It’s weak. Like someone said previously, if you play a killer with a normal terror radius most survivors will just run away from gens when they’re chased, rendering it useless. It’s also hamstrung by its cooldown and M1 requirement, and 8% regression is basically nothing.

It’s not a perk that will help you win games you wouldn’t have won without it, like it feels kind of nice to have but it doesn’t do enough to justify the perk slot in my opinion. A well timed Pop can be the difference between keeping and losing a gen but Surge just doesn’t have that kind of power. It’s meh.

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773

I just want to clarify even though it's worded as it is, it does NOT regress 18%. This was tested I believe by Otz, and it only regresses the 8%.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,243

It's not bad, but it is overly conditional to the Nth degree. Basic attack only, 32m radius, gen can't already be regressing, 40 second cooldown. I only use it on pressure oriented killers who only down with basic attacks i.e. Clown, Deathslinger, etc.

• PureHostility
    PureHostility Member Posts: 708

Surge is good and I would use it much, much more often if it wasnt for completely pointless cooldown. It already has a very strict and non spammable requirement in real gameplay and its effect doesnt stack anyway, cooldown is completely unecessary. That's like giving cooldown to Inner Strength, so you cannot break a dull totem for some unknown reason and make it count for the perk.

The only reason why I see it having a cd is very close 3 gen strat against slugging killer..., still such situation is a loss no matter what for survivors.

• Pawcelot
    Pawcelot Member Posts: 985

The cooldown is the only thing holding it back, if you ask me. Its just way too long for the perk to be consistently useful.

• Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,064

I leveled up Surge to try Archdruiddrey's regular Doctor build for myself (BBQ, STBFL, Iron Maiden, Surge) and I've grown to like it as a nice convenience perk. It's probably the most replaceable perk in the build, but not having to stop to kick a gen to make it regress can be useful, nonetheless. I take the slightly lower regression as a trade off for that convenience.

I also agree it's most effective on M1 dependent Killers like Legion or Doctor.

• Pawcelot

It only procs on normal m1 downs, so it is not suitable for a killer who can down with their power (Huntress, Hillbilly etc).

• Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,064
    edited July 2020

Hence "I also agree it's most effective on M1 dependent Killers like Legion or Doctor."

• Schmierbach
    Schmierbach Member Posts: 468

Surge is map dependant, and completely relys on how the killer uses it to determine whether or not its worth it. On maps like The Game, Hawkins, Sanctum of Wrath work well with the perk, but larger maps causes you to get little use out of it. Since most maps are still reletively large it falls behind perks like Ruin and Pop.

• Kolonite
    Kolonite Member Posts: 1,346

It can be good, but it's not good on Demo sadly. Pop is much better for regression.

• OutcastEric
    OutcastEric Member Posts: 495

No i use it on all of my builds except hillbilly leatherface and huntress. Its earned its spot for me. Its insane on multistory maps because it 1 gives you information, and 2 saves you time that youd otherwise spend kicking gens, which is a waste of time for the little amount of regression it provides. With surge it gives an 8 percent flat regression and keeps the gen regressing after that. Run it with thrilling tremors and pop goes the weasel and you have the ultimate gen defense. Best case scenario is you get a surge proc, pick up a survivor and see a gen in the distance with thrilling tremors, hook the survivor, and go and pop the gen thats being worked on. The build forces survivors into a catch 22 if you get momentum going. It forces them to spread out but once they do that, the progress thats constantly being lost to your perks outweighs the time that you allow them to work on gens solo

• OniKobayashi
    OniKobayashi Member Posts: 274

I consider it bad. It can't be changed with different TR perks or add-ons, it has a cooldown without a legitimate reason aside from a very small progression bonus, and it only triggers on basic hits so it's limited to Killers who are limited to basic hits. As it is, it will never be considered a good perk in general.

If they removed the cooldown and made it a TR based perk then it would probably get more usage.

• Biney
    Biney Member Posts: 6

It work best on plague, spirit, billy, anything that can down survivors quick basically.

• Pawcelot

Removing the cooldown would be a first great step, if you ask me. Making the AoE scale with TR means a few killers cannot use it anymore, like Deathslinger or Hag due to their small TR.

• TKTK
    TKTK Member Posts: 943
    edited July 2020

Surge goes well with ruin when people don't get off the gen it'll proc and goes well with surveillance, which is what i use for pyramid head since he can be very efficient if things go his way. It's really good for killers that don't have time to kick gens and need to keep up the pressure like clown, trapper and doctor come to mind where they have to stay on the move since there mobility is pretty trash, it's best just to keep control of a general area with surge and I also use PGTW for when they don't let go of gens after the surge proc.

• slim0b
    slim0b Member Posts: 551

It causes 8% regression to gens and makes them start regressing within 32m and disables you from kicking them so it really doesn't pair with PGTW.

If you ask me it's an overrated perk and I don't often get value out of it.

This discussion has been closed.