We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Midwich Problem

Midwich school seriously, playing on that map, as a killer or survivor is difficult. Very. In several times i leave the game if it spawn. That map is a maze. I don't understand how to get upstairs, to rooms, to gens. In many times i lose because i am confused and confused. It's a big map, really. Can you change anything? I can not stand it anymore. Surely the others will also agree with me.

Comments

• Pr0p3r9
    Pr0p3r9 Member Posts: 111

Midwich is like a square with a top-left corner (A), top-right corner (B), bottom-right corner (C), and a bottom-left corner (D). Corner A and C have stairwells that you can always travel up and down. Corner B is a bathroom that has a hole that you can drop down from. Additionally, there is a stairwell blocked by breakable walls in corner B that the killer can open if they want to. Corner D is the library and has a ramp that leads up and down. Initially, you have to go through a side-room on either floor in order to reach corner D's ramp, but there are breakable walls near the ramp that the killer can break to make it faster to traverse.

On line AB, there is a locker room on the outer side of the map. This room has an always broken wall that allows you to drop down into the exit gate area. On line CD, there is a room with a large hole in the floor. Dropping here will land you in the other exit gate area. Additionally, there is an always broken wall on an upper floor hallway on the interior side which can be used to drop down into the courtyard. I can't remember what hallway that drop is in, but you should notice it quickly enough when you get in game.

There is always a generator somewhere in one floor of corner D. There's always a gen in the courtyard. I'm not sure at all about this last one, but it seems that there's typically (maybe always?) a gen in or near the room with hole drop down on the top floor of line CD.

Gens can spawn in the hallways, but they more frequently spawn inside the classrooms. Sometimes a gen will spawn in front of the exit gate area, but I can't remember if that gen spawns in front of exit AB or exit CD, or if it's even consistent. It may be rng.

A good rule of thumb on Midwitch is that it's always easier to go down than it is to go up. If you're looking for gens or patrolling for survivors, I recommend you do it on the top floor while listening to what's going on below you. If you hear something you want to interact with below you, go to the nearest drop down and find it on the bottom floor, or else find something to do on the top floor instead.

• APoipleTurtle
    APoipleTurtle Member Posts: 1,274

If it helps, here's a top-down view of the map I found in an older forum post:

(https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/155753/about-the-new-map-midwich-school)

It's really just a bunch of long hallways and square rooms. Stairs between floors are available in the top left and bottom right corners. There is also a ramp in the top right that allows access between the 1F Study Hall and 2F Library, and another in the bottom left from 1F Bathrooms to 2F Bathrooms (only available if killer kicks down the walls hiding it). Most rooms along the top and bottom sides of the 2nd Floor also have vaults and/or holes that allow you to drop back down to the 1st. Basically, you can almost always get up to the 2nd Floor from the corners of the map. Just be careful, the stairs lead further up to dead ends as there is no 3rd Floor.

Almost all gens either spawn very obviously in the hallways, or tucked within classrooms (with a single potential spawn in the central courtyard). I am a bit surprised they didn't accentuate these locations with flickering lights as frequently seen on other indoor maps.

All that said, I do think Midwich is the least-enjoyable map to play on as either role because of its extremely basic geometry and pallet placement set-ups that mostly reflect those seen on The Game and Underground Lab. Chases are not fun on this map, and many killers are limited in how they can effectively use their perks and powers. Plus Object of Obsession completely breaks the map and can allow survivors to easily drag on the match for eons. They might not be able to rework it due to licensing, though if that is the case I hope they might consider dropping Midwich from the public map rotation (making it Custom Games only).

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559

I think ScottJund mentioned it, but I too believe that the licence had a great deal of impact on the shape of the map, since the pictures in your post are of the Silent Hill games, and this map was replicated for DbD. I'm pretty sure the developers are aware of how terrible the map is but are unable to do much about it.

• Ihatelife
    Ihatelife Member Posts: 5,069

Yeah, I think because of the license and agreement between konami and BHVR they're not able to change the map that much...

• GRT_Alkaline
    GRT_Alkaline Member Posts: 226

When it comes to playing this map i personally don't like it as both survivor and killer. I have escaped and i have 4k on midwich but didn't enjoy those matches due to the map. Although when i see it's midwich i don't dc and just get on with it.

But even though i don't enjoy playing it, i still think it is a beautiful map to tour around.