Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Why is camping allowed?

2»

Comments

• mylesmylo
    mylesmylo Member Posts: 354

Ooh trust me the killer is having major fun, waiting for you to post about the same crap we hear all the time, even tho nothing will ever be done about it lol

• xenotimebong
    xenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

I’m sick of people going on about camping to be honest. Camping is heavily punished by basic game mechanics and common perks, and if you can’t figure out how to outplay a camper you need to get better at the game.

Besides which I’ve never seen a suggestion for ways to punish camping that won’t just buff survivors who make boneheaded misplays. If a survivor goes down next to the basement in the middle of a three gen, for example, the killer shouldn’t be penalised by the game for then patrolling the area. That’s the survivor’s ######### up, no ifs ands or buts. But any anti-camping measure would also apply to this kind of scenario.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

well, the explanation of that starts with the question "what is camping?" and already stops there, cause there is no clear definition to it.

ive seen many people get called camper / ive been called camper myself many, many times, even though they / i had no intention to camp and were / was just trespassing or doing normal killer stuff.

• ZephanUnbound
    ZephanUnbound Member Posts: 227
    edited August 2020

I'd say it's a viable tactic at the end of the game, if you're playing a mouse 1 killer and don't have NOED. If you don't stay right on the hook, somebody will save them for sure, and they'll probably have borrowed time which will allow them to all escape through the exit gate. Camping super closer to hook mid game though? That's pretty cheap imo.

• MadLordJack
    MadLordJack Member Posts: 8,814

No, punishing is the correct term. They could have escaped - if they want to save their friend, they're going to have to risk dying for them.

The killer is The Horrifying Brutal Killer, not Your Friendly Neighbourhood Killer. (Unless they're playing Ghostface, I guess.)

• AbsolutelyAmel
    AbsolutelyAmel Member Posts: 146

Might aswell ask why people camp in CS:Go or whatever 🤷

• HagIsBestGirl
    HagIsBestGirl Member Posts: 158

At this point I assume it's because dbds servers are salt powered.

If you get camped, just try to Kobe like a boss. There is no downside in that situation.

• mentalpopcorn
    mentalpopcorn Member Posts: 181
    edited August 2020

Wow, are you crazy? You need to learn the difference between camping and face camping. Face camping is a bad strategy that loses you games. Under the right circumstances some forms of camping will win you many games.

Why is face camping allowed? Well because if it was something that got you banned, there would be loads of idiots that report for it against someone who was camping in a situation where camping was their best option. And then they'd get banned for playing killer in the way that benefitted them the most. Asking for camping to get bans is like asking for gen rushing to get bans. Fact is there is worse stuff out there, like the extreme toxicity on both sides. Killers unnecessarily slugging the last survivor just to be toxic. Survivors waiting at exits and tbagging till the killer shows. Survivors doing literally everything they can to just be a prick to the killer even after they have the option to escape.

In conclusion, when used properly camping is a very strong strategy whether you'd like to believe it or not. Face camping only loses you games due to genrushing. And asking for bans like this will only lead to innocent players getting banned.

Edit: I also thought of a case where face camping is the best strategy. Is there a survivor in your game that's looping the hell out of you and they're the one person you really just can't deal with? Face camp them. Sure it's scummy, but it's also a strategy that can win you the game. Giving up 1-2 gens to get rid of the best survivor early on.

• mentalpopcorn

The 2 or 3 survivors going for the unhook that you know are there and aren't working on gens. You're a "camper" for following the objective and making the strongest most advantageous play. Dbd survivors are ######### mental sometimes.

• mentalpopcorn

If you are trying to save a teammate against a face camper you're just a moron, plain and simple. Selfish has nothing to do with it. The only thing you need to try and unhook against a face camper is pure idiocy.

• mentalpopcorn

I really hope this is bait because I can't even imagine someone being this dumb

• mentalpopcorn
    edited August 2020

The penalty for camping is gen rushing. It's that simple.

If you instead decide to try and unhook against someone camping then the fault is your own.

• mentalpopcorn

That's not even true though, it depends on the generator layout. I've had a map where there were 3 gens really far away and all the others were super close. Hooked one survivor around the closeby gens. Patrolled that area somewhat camping, and I just let the survivors take those 3 gens. This lead to a game where the survivors quite literally couldn't win. Sometimes deciding to kill a survivor early and letting the others get certain gens is a strategy that benefits you (though it's not one you can use often as it depends a lot on rng)

• Unfun_Tunnel
    Unfun_Tunnel Member Posts: 51

Why is decisive allowed? A broken perk that force a result and rewards even the worst players for being caught. Tunneling and camping were real even before decisive, but behaviour made them stronger with ds. Sorry but you'll get camped, not one, not two, but a lot of times due to this game balance. If you play clown or doc maybe on a big map and surv genrush you have no other choice. Mix chase time, hooks, decisive, possible unbreakable, torches and toolboxes and the killer doesn't literally have time. This game is survivor sided and it's time to stop crying about tunneling and camping. I play both sides and I know that killers do what they have to, without complaining as survivor.

• axem
    axem Member Posts: 11

I only run ds because of tunnel and camping not being punished though. It just gets worse and worse overtime killers just default back to camping because they can't mindgame a loop and tunnel and camp it is. If you're actually good you don't have to default to something uninteractive and boring like that.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,438

Imagine this scenario. Which is true because it literally happened to me a couple of hours ago. I'm playing as deathslinger. I chase and down/hook the first survivor. Then i start to walk away to pop their gen. I walk away for literally 5 seconds, and they get unhooked. So i turn around, and chase the unhooker. I down them. I hook them, then i start to walk away. 5 seconds later, they get unhooked. At this point i see their plan. So the next person i down and hook, i look around for a bit, and spot another survivor, i hit them. And as they run away, i spot the other 2 survivors running to the hook. So i start hitting them and eventually they hook trade multiple times. At the end of the game, i'm called a camper. Did i really camp though?

How about this scenario. Another real one. I'm playing hag. I down and hook a survivor, setup a trap etc. Then i run away, someone goes for the save. They are injured, they trigger the trap, and i down them, they stay right under the hook. At that moment, 2 different gens pop at almost the same time. All of the other gens i know aren't being worked on, because i have surveillance on them. So, i camp. At that point, that was the best play to make. There's no point patrolling gens, because i know they aren't on them. I know that if i go hook the guy i downed, they'll unhook the other guy. So the best play is for me to camp and wait for them to come for the save and try to get more hits/downs. I get called a camper. Sure, i camped, but it was 100% the best play.

Survivors always complain and say "well just pressure gens, if you don't give me something else to do i'll just do gens" and i agree. So, what else should a killer do? If no gens are being worked on, you aren't pressuring the killer to do anything else, other then camp. Survivors make it the best play for the killer, and is why it works.

• BaldursGate2
    BaldursGate2 Member Posts: 994

It makes sense, considering how fast gens are done and how unlikely 3 survivor can do the remaining ones.

• grassdirtsky
    grassdirtsky Member Posts: 174

Terrible game design

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

If it was a strategy that always got 4 kills then they would have to do something about it. But it's not a good strategy so this is why all survivors should be happy that there are camping killers out there. Just avoid getting hooked and you be fine.

• D_Orien
    D_Orien Member Posts: 115

Yes because I'm a moron for actually trying to attempt getting everybody out. You are so [BAD WORD] clever aren't you. You are probably one of these entitled face camping killers in the first place.

• vogit10102
    vogit10102 Member Posts: 225

D_orien, there so many selfish killers, they don't understand it

• bendermac
    bendermac Member Posts: 772

Why camp with 5 gens to go and you didn‘t do anything toxic? Very Sinple: To annoy you. That‘s it.

• mentalpopcorn

That is in fact what I said, only idiots try to unhook against face campers. That's not an opinion, that's just a fact. Any good player will tell you this.

• Cradmeg
    Cradmeg Member Posts: 22

I think the DEVS love seeing these kind of threads , Camping or Facecamping is NOT a correct way to play , and they will NEVER fix this problem !! The sad thing is I PAID GOOD MONEY to have a game I really enjoy and have logged tons of hours on but they allow in my opinion CHEATING as a strategy .They have all theses surveys to improve the game but all the suggestions are just thrown into the trash bin , so whats the point of the surveys ?? Also what is being done with all these hackers ?? Absolutely NOTHING , I guess GODMODE is a strategy too ?? I think its time to FIX these problems DEVS !!!

• clem1710
    clem1710 Member Posts: 275

Camping is already punished enough by gen rush and emblems. Also, why would you punish a strategy? Rarely a good one, but still a strategy

• thenegativone
    thenegativone Member Posts: 254

I hear you bro. Cheating with swf should be changed. The game was not set up for swf and yet they never hear our complaints.

• Breque
    Breque Member Posts: 427

And here it beggins the toxity, if you camp the survival dc if the survivals dc he lose pip, after a while the ssurvivals will stop caring about rank and will dc everytime that he see a legion or a mori and is like that that we turn the game in crap

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    edited August 2020

I see what you mean, clearly the problem is the DCing because it rewards campers.

• Breque

i dont judge how dc for facecamp, i really rage when someone is licking my face and i am basically dead because its not everymatch that someone wanna risk for save some random dude and someone that has BT, its bad for the game, yes, but i cant judge

• Breque

But where is the funny, it has someone dying in the hook and the game just became in a M1 simulator

• vogit10102
    vogit10102 Member Posts: 225

Because so many killers are so selfish.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

I do because DCing only rewards campers. If you actually cared about the issue of camping you wouldn't make it worthwhile to camp. That's my view.