Why do survivors have a 4% chance to kobe off the hook?

Options
adsads123123123123
adsads123123123123 Member Posts: 945
edited August 2020 in General Discussions

I find this annoying as a Nurse. It's not rare that I slug all 4 survivors with having 0-2 hooks before. After doing the math, I've found that in the worst case scenario, there is a 38.7% chance that at least 1 survivor escapes off the hook. Here's the math: there's a 4% chance to escape off the hook and you get 3 attempts, so the odds that a single survivor escapes is 1-0.96^3 = 11.5%. Now there are 4 survivors, so the odds that one out of 4 survivor escapes is 1-(1-0.115)^4 = 38.7%. With odds this high, I am not risking a kobe. Currently, I just wait until the struggle phase until I hook the next survivor. Repeat x4. If devs want to stop wasting my time and the survivor's time, then remove escape chance off hook. Asides from this, kobes in general are just bs RNG when it happens. There is no reason to force the killer to run around the map chasing the survivor again after the game is already over.

Post edited by adsads123123123123 on

Comments

• 28_stabs
    28_stabs Member Posts: 1,470
    Options

4% stay 4% unless they use luck add-ons or Deliverance.

• ZCerebrate
    ZCerebrate Member Posts: 641
    Options

This sounds like 1 step away from holding the game hostage with cheap rationalization but whatever floats your boat. I really don't mind if this happens to me because you do get those unbreakable reversals (one happened to me earlier today and ended in a 3 man escape from having 4 of us slugged) and if we all bleed out while you stand terrified of that Kobe - twitching in your seat afraid to wipe the sweat from your brow... I'll just watch my 13 minute ad for a 2 minute youtube video about how someone made a couple million dollars working from home.

See how that works?

• stoudbaker
    stoudbaker Member Posts: 130
    Options

More importantly is that it gives them hope. If their team is unable/unwilling to come and get them, they have a chance to escape by themselves.

• adsads123123123123
    edited August 2020
    Options

I've had the game extended by about 10 minutes recently because of a kobe. That less than a minute case is probably when there are only 2 survivors left, both of them are on the hook and one kobes. In my case, there are 4 survivors alive. If one kobes, the rest can definitely be saved, especially when I am across the map hooking the last survivor.

It's not holding the game hostage because the survivor can kill themselves any time while on the hook. If anything, the survivor is the one holding the game hostage by not killing themself when the game is clearly over. Unbreakable is less of a concern to me. Realistically, while I am chasing the 4th survivor, the first 3 slugged survivors have more than enough time to use Unbreakable. If no one picks themself up by the time I down the 4th survivor and I hook the 4th survivor first, there is no Unbreakable.

People only kobe when they want to leave the game fast or when the game is already over and there are no objectives left. Your argument only applies in the first case but I am against that because using kobe like that is the same as disconnecting and that just wastes everyone's time because the killer is going to win 99% of the time. This is why disconnection penalties are in place.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318
    Options

Meh we all have anecdotes. Realistically, there's nothing one survivor kobeing can do against a competent killer who has everyone else hooked. Getting unlucky twice in a row is not something you should stall the game for minutes to prepare for.

• YehBoiGoku
    YehBoiGoku Member Posts: 248
    Options

Plus it's a nurse so it wouldn't be that hard to down them all again in a matter of minutes.

• Omputin
    Omputin Member Posts: 142
    edited August 2020
    Options

4% per attempt. It's obviously higher with more attempts.

• adsads123123123123
    edited August 2020
    Options

Lol at the entitled survivor mains that think they deserve a 39% chance to escape after they lose to the killer. By that logic, survivors should have a 39% chance to die when they escape the trial to "give the killer hope".

• Xyvielia
    Xyvielia Member Posts: 2,415
    edited August 2020
    Options

Yikes! Wow, Some of these posts are jus silly, almost can’t even take them seriously.

• MrBuffalo
    MrBuffalo Member Posts: 312
    Options

The Level of bait in this post...Love it! Please make another one soon! This was a top quality read!

• Walex90
    Walex90 Member Posts: 52
    Options

Yea I've expected it as a bait, but still took it pretty serious in case it wasn't.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627
    Options

Just a minor correction: 38.7% is the chance that AT LEAST one survivor kobes. 38.7% also contains the cases where 2-4 survivors kobe.

Adding the following: you said 0-2 hooks. So the 38.7% is only valid for the 0 hook cases. You need to recalculate for the 1-2 hook cases, as only 3 or 2 survivors are able to kobe, reducing the chances pretty noticeable to 30.7% or 21.7%. Which means it happens every third to fifth game.

Besides that, if I stomp a team that hard, I'm happy about a kobe to get more action and more BP, also the survivors normally have a bit more fun and a bit more BP. So not everyone thinks like you. Additional, there wouldn't be scenarios possible like the "Legend of the Feng". Reason enough to keep it.

Actually more than 61% helpful. Because not all kobe. There maybe one or multiple kobe, but still also people going to struggle for free.

• Xbob42
    Xbob42 Member Posts: 1,117
    Options

Well, I ain't no big city math lawyer, but I'd wager in the vast majority of matches people don't even attempt to get off the hook even once, putting their chance of a kobe at 0%.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

It's a 4% chance each time and speeds up their sacrifices. It's fine.

• Enlyne
    Enlyne Member Posts: 429
    Options

Because teammates could be screwing around and it'd suck to get 1 hooked?

At least give the survivor a small chance to escape on their own, it does not affect the killer at all.

• EuphoricBliss35
    EuphoricBliss35 Member Posts: 875
    Options

Is this a serious question?

next post: “Why can survivors run? They should be stumbling like in F13. So unfair!”

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,289
    edited August 2020
    Options

And how many times did people try and they didn't get off? Or they got off and it didn't change anything because they jumped off right in your face or while you were nearby? Far more often than the times when someone actually jumps off the hook and it matters, it's just way easier to remember the times it did make a difference. The game isn't over until it's over, the mindset of "i deserved that kill/escape but then <thing> took it from me!" is nothing but a one-way ticket to pointless frustration.

No one deserves anything until the survivor in question is dead or they've actually escaped the trial respectively. The game already has measures in place to speed up a match that's actually already over, like how people insta-die once everyone is on the hook and in struggle phase - at that point the only trajectory for the game to take is for the survivors to die.

DBD has all sorts of things that come down to "luck". Map generation can make super strong areas or deadzones, gates can spawn on opposite sides of the map or on the same wall not far from eachother, chests are pure luck unless a survivor has Pharmacy, totem placements, trapper traps sometimes letting people go 1st try and sometimes 8th try, Piggy RBTs sometimes making a survivor check 4-5 boxes while sometimes coming off on the 1st, skillchecks (run autodidact for a day and you'll get very intimate with this one 😄)... the list goes on. It's not a game that has any interest whatsoever in eliminating randomness.

• adsads123123123123
    Options

Welp. I guess the community is in favour of me camping hook until every survivor reaches struggle phase. If that's what you prefer, so be it.

• sad_killer_main
    sad_killer_main Member Posts: 785
    Options

It makes things more interesting.

• KingFrost
    KingFrost Member Posts: 3,014
    Options

Sounds like you need to git gud.

• Brodie
    Brodie Member Posts: 64
    Options

Bait post or not there would be no point complainin as we've adapted to 80% of killers playin with 0 skill 🤷🏻‍♂

• handfulofrain
    handfulofrain Member Posts: 317
    Options

This has to be bait, right?

• adsads123123123123
    Options

This isn't bait. I 4k with Nurse at 5 gens fairly often. If it's against purple-green ranks, this happens like 40% of the time. If it's against red ranks, I get the occassional 4k slug but not at 5 gens. Here are some screenshots I took during week 1 of crossplay as proof. If all 4 players are down and there is no Unbreakable, there is no reason to force me to stay any longer. The game is over. Go next.

• ZtarShot
    ZtarShot Member Posts: 838
    Options

NERF ATTEMPT ESCAPE! NERF IT NOW!

• MrLimonka
    MrLimonka Member Posts: 545
    Options

This must be a bait. Please be a bait. Don't tell me you are serious.

• Breque
    Breque Member Posts: 427
    Options
  • NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,200
    Options

I feel like both sides want the game to end fast in they favor.

• 28_stabs
    28_stabs Member Posts: 1,470
    Options

Come on, guys, its not short straw game. Unlucky straws do not decrease and lucky straws do not increase. 4% stay 4%. If someone get off, well, thats a lucky 4%. :^)

• Pipefish
    Pipefish Member Posts: 331
    Options

Its only a 4% chance, honestly I'd say your odds are better with that then one of them having unbreakable 😆

• Dwinchester
    Dwinchester Member Posts: 961
    Options

My problem is with how many second chances survivors get, it gets old.

Say they're all running dh, ds, unbreakable. Four chances with ds, four chances with unbreakable, and eight chances with dh. So that's sixteen right there, then you add in Kobe chances, then you add in the hatch, then you add in pallet saves, flashlight saves, and head on saves.

So you're talking 20 or more second chances per game, in a game where killer isnt allowed to make a single mistake. You can see why the devs aren't on the Christmas list of most killer mains.

4% is insignificant, but when you work your butt off to end the game, just to have the rng give them yet another chance, it can be infuriating.

• Kind_Lemon
    Kind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559
    Options

It's your mindset that determines that the game is over when the game mechanics tell you otherwise. Happiness is not given to those who constantly try to dictate what is not the case, unless you feel like being an advocate for your issue and are dedicated to that instead.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,761
    Options

It amazes me the things people will complain about.

• hillbillyclaudmain69
    hillbillyclaudmain69 Member Posts: 1,528
    Options
  • MegHasCuteFeet
    MegHasCuteFeet Member Posts: 369
    Options

The reason why unbreakable is a meta perk is because it synergizes heavily with the best perk in the game.

• RakimSockem
    RakimSockem Member Posts: 1,972
    Options

How does Unbreakable have synergy with For the People???

• Pipefish
    Pipefish Member Posts: 331
    Options

I admit all those second chance perks are annoying. The game is heavily balanced around them. Games I play that have survivors with no meta perks tend to go by much more quickly then ones that do.

Also killers mistakes are much more punished because they are 100% of the team while survivors are only 25% so as a survivor you only make a 1/4th the impact you do as killer.

Killers also have two second chance things they can use.

NOED: I personally think their are better perks but there definitely times I use this one and snowball games I should have lost.

Ebony Mori: This counters decisive strike among other things. Also can turn a losing game into a winning game and if your winning with one equipped you don't even need to use it. Also doesn't take up a perk slot like NOED.

• FrootLoops
    FrootLoops Member Posts: 376
    Options

probability does not stack. from a development perspective it would be a LOT more work to stack probability than to just have a straight 4%

example:

num = rand(100);

if num<5 then escape = true

as opposed to

if slippery == true then trymax = 6

else trymax = 3

trycount = 1

while trycount<= trymax do

num = rand(100)

if num<=4*trycount then escape = true

done

this of course is simplified version and syntactically garbage but you can see that even just this simple version that accounts for slippery meat but not luck offerings required twice the coding. You are straight up camping against a 1 in 25 chance that someone will Kobe. so what if you have a game last longer than 4 minutes? I thought all killer mains hate 4 minute games anyway? or is that only if you lose?

• Dwinchester
    Dwinchester Member Posts: 961
    Options

I get that killer mistakes are more punishing, but it's absolutely ridiculous for one bad mind game, or one chase going 30 seconds too long to cost you the entire game.

The skill difference is insane in this game, you have to play twice as good as survivors to even compete.

Noed is a bad perk, I would trade it for dead hard or ds all day long. A mori is the great equalizer, it literally makes the killer unstoppable, it's the most powerful thing in the game, hands down. For that reason, I find them distasteful. I only run them if I am in a foul mood or I have a daily.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

Wow, didn't even see that part. They actually did the first calculation correctly, but the second one is just wildly inaccurate.

4*12=48, though.